Page 237 of 276 FirstFirst ... 232233234235236237238239240241242 ... LastLast
Results 7,081 to 7,110 of 8274

Thread: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS4 - WII U - XBone - PS3 - 360 - WII

Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

The only reason I bought it was more so because the deluxe version came with this

Also, because Amazon dropped the price from $99 to $69 (for the deluxe)

Oh shit? I did kind of want the extra geek stuff.... I was thinking about the same for Tomb Raider $69 aint bad...how is the box? Decently made or cheap and flimsy?

It's actually a nice box. When you open it up, like in the pic, it makes a nice backdrop. And it has misc paper stuff inside too (photo, map, documents)

Here's an unpacking vid (not mine)

Better off just skimming thru and turning sound off. the guy is annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    This game sort of sounds like "Rage"

I just started Bioshock yesterday. I am intrigued and wary about each step I take through Rapture. I'm excited I waited for this game and now can play it on a huge tv with a great sound system stoned out of my mind. I should note I didn't get a PS3 until last January (12) and its nice to catch up on games that were released when I wasn't gaming much.

So Sim City players: Its online mainly and it sucks (due to online issues)?
    Sim City is 100% online. No off line option.

Bioshock is fantastic. I beat both Bioshock games twice, and enjoyed them each time. My wife is in love with the Music of Rapture CD that came with the collector's edition.

I got Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan yesterday. So far it's pretty awesome. It's not incredibly different from the other entries, but I've liked all the changes that I've seen. As usual, it's a lot of grinding, map-making, and selling monster parts, but the music and artwork disguise all of that into something pleasing. I'm also still greatly satisfied whenever I move my party into new areas, little by little, on account of the game's infamous difficulty. It's no Demon's Souls, of course. And it does seem like an easier entry, but it might just be that I'm getting better at Etrian Odyssey, having played the other three before... Even though I've never beat one (but I got very far in the second one).
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

so i was looking around at Target today and notice there's a sequel to Warhawk which is one of my favorite ps3 games called Starhawk.I decided tonight that I must fix my ps3 after it being broken for three years.Has anybody played Starhawk yet?
    Last edited by getbetter; 03-19-2013 at 10:37 PM.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Yaaaaay!!!! MGS5 confirmed!

July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Happy that MGS V has officially been announced, but now am just wondering when it will finally release (2014 I'm guessing?). The fact that David Hayter is coming back to voice Snake sucks though and is a little disappointing (for continuity purposes), but what can ya do? I'm also curious if this really is just gonna be PS3/360, or if it will be next-gen as well.

Second, I also have to say I'm totally blown away by Bioshock Infinite. The sky city of Columbia is fucking awesome.

Konami said that all the footage that's been released is running on PS3 hardware so it looks like it it'll run on PS3/360. I'm guessing it'll probably be on both PS3/PS4.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    so i was looking around at Target today and notice there's a sequel to Warhawk which is one of my favorite ps3 games called Starhawk.I decided tonight that I must fix my ps3 after it being broken for three years.Has anybody played Starhawk yet?
    Starhawk is nothing like Warhawk, as far as I can tell. It's an enjoyable two-day game... like a combination of a space strategic shooter and "Red Faction" - it was very, very much like Red Faction.

I got bored with it and stopped playing before I beat it - and that's extremely rare, I beat everything. LOL. But it was fun for a few hours here and there.

I expected Bioshock Infinite to take me more than a day to beat...god damnit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

Quote Originally Posted by frazzles View Post
    I expected Bioshock Infinite to take me more than a day to beat...god damnit.
    Well, according to howlongtobeat.com, to finish simply the main story with nothing else it takes approximately 10 hours and 10 minutes to finish. So if you have that much time to blow on a game then yeah, you can finish it in a day. Nevermind the fact that the game is insanely detailed with lots of effort to make that time period somewhat real.

That's like buying a very expensive sipping tequila, shooting it down instantly and then complaining about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Oh, I'm replaying again and taking more time, for sure. I just wasn't expecting the credits to roll when they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    That's like buying a very expensive sipping tequila, shooting it down instantly and then complaining about it...
    Christ that was well said. I started the game on 1999 Mode from the moment I loaded the game up, explore every nook and cranny, and take my sweet time, and I am actually satisfied with the length of the game (just got to comstocks house last night, should be beating it tonight, though I hear the impossible parts of 1999 are just around the corner for me...).

Between Bioshock Infinite and Monster Hunter Ultimate for the WiiU, I FUCKING LOVE VIDEO GAMES AGAIN. I've been so god damned jaded over the past SO MANY YEARS, only replays of Baldur's Gate and Demon/Dark Souls has kept me in the gaming world with some hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

I haven't really cared about videogames in a few years but Infinite has definitely been an exception. The first 20-30 minutes are simply incredible (The "God Only Knows" scene...) and while there were a few boring and slow parts, the rest of the game was just spectacular. It took me a couple of days to beat but I'm fine with that, I think the pacing was mostly perfect and like the first Bioshock you really have to play it twice to be done with it.

1999 mode though... I got through the game with no problems on normal and 1999 mode is fucking destroying me. I think I'm going to have to quit and just replay on Hard because I want to go through the story again but 1999 mode seems like an incredible amount of pain.

Bioshock Infinite is definitely the best game of the last 3-4 years, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    I haven't really cared about videogames in a few years but Infinite has definitely been an exception. The first 20-30 minutes are simply incredible (The "God Only Knows" scene...) and while there were a few boring and slow parts, the rest of the game was just spectacular. It took me a couple of days to beat but I'm fine with that, I think the pacing was mostly perfect and like the first Bioshock you really have to play it twice to be done with it.

1999 mode though... I got through the game with no problems on normal and 1999 mode is fucking destroying me. I think I'm going to have to quit and just replay on Hard because I want to go through the story again but 1999 mode seems like an incredible amount of pain.
    (just re-read what I wrote, and wanted to say upfront, this isn't a knock on you or anyone else that doesn't enjoy the hard as nails angle of video games. It is just a personal take on current games and also using the fact that they called it 1999 mode for a reason).

Depending on the game of course, the anger/pain/trouble I have with a game is directly related to the flooding sense of satisfaction and pleasure and "sense of accomplishment" and appreciation I have towards a game. This is most definitely that type of game for me. It is no fucking coincidence that the mode is called 1999 Mode. The style of games prior and during 1999 were the type of games I grew up with. Please excuse the horrible word choice here, games back then made you work for the reward. The reward being the satisfaction/pleasure/accomplishment/appreciation of learning the game, adapting, dealing with a Game Over screen, trying harder, learning more, knowing you "earned" that cutscene, you earned that level up, I can go on but I think you get the point.

This all sounds so horribly nerdy and as if I got nothing other than video games to worry about, but its just been something I've been stewing on for years now.

I honestly believe that I would not care for this game near as much had I played on normal. Sure it would be impressive to experience, the setting/atmosphere and all, but it'd fall into the same old "game playing itself" pattern. It feels so great to be over 3/4 of the way through with this game, hitting my flow with my prefered vigors/weapons/gear, and dying less and less. It really is worth the blood boiling frustration I felt at some points during the game (and I believe I am in due for more of that tonight, but I can't fucking wait).

Nah, I completely understand. Bioshock 1, 2, and Infinite (along with most other modern blockbuster games) are basically impossible not to beat on regular difficulty. The game really does play itself, and personally I was fine with that because the combat isn't revolutionary in many ways but the story, world, and characters are. In Bioshock's case I find the themes, story, and characters compelling enough to make up for the lack of difficulty and honestly, I didn't want to have too much trouble with this particular game because I wanted to get through the plot quickly.

I do get the reference to 1999, and I remember being a kid and being straight up unable to beat some games (Sunsetriders and Contra III for SNES spring to mind). If you run out of continues and don't have the skill... game over, kid. Still though, I'd consider myself pretty good at videogames, been playing since I was young, have no trouble beating things for the most part... but 1999 mode is just WORKING me. I can't get past the house with the two people printing flyers for the Friends of the Negro, and that's like the second or third combat area in the entire game. The enemies take a ton of shots to drop, they attack in large numbers, and you take a lot of damage per hit. I don't think I have the skill or the time to beat it on that mode, realistically.

I've been really into indie games recently. Two games in particular have been really a blast and they are both 2D titles with exactly two people on each development team. FTL is an amazing space strategy game, and it's incredibly unforgiving so you might enjoy it. Hotline Miami is a top-down action shooter but the style and the music are unique and amazing, and the gameplay can get pretty difficult as well.

dude, i fucking loved Hotline Miami. Everything about that game was on point, and that soundtrack is just killer.

I have to agree with a lot of y'alls points about difficulty in games these days, but i definitely think there is a difference between being difficult and being cheap though. like on a first person shooter if i just peek my head up and one or two shots kills me over and over reloading from the same checkpoint it gets tiring and, while difficult, it isn't much fun. the reason i loved dark souls is because the game was only as difficult as you let it be. Having to learn strategies of enemies and taking your time vs. just plowing through enemies like you do on most games. especially when you finally figure out how to beat something that sense of accomplishment can't be matched by most games today. one of the best feelings i've ever had playing games was the first time i took down Ornstein and Smough. i don't consider a game that just lowers your health to one or two hits to be an effective way to judge difficulty. it's just an extended practice in trial and error without really teaching you anything.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

Three lives, no continues, that's all you get.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    dude, i fucking loved Hotline Miami. Everything about that game was on point, and that soundtrack is just killer.

I have to agree with a lot of y'alls points about difficulty in games these days, but i definitely think there is a difference between being difficult and being cheap though. like on a first person shooter if i just peek my head up and one or two shots kills me over and over reloading from the same checkpoint it gets tiring and, while difficult, it isn't much fun. the reason i loved dark souls is because the game was only as difficult as you let it be. Having to learn strategies of enemies and taking your time vs. just plowing through enemies like you do on most games. especially when you finally figure out how to beat something that sense of accomplishment can't be matched by most games today. one of the best feelings i've ever had playing games was the first time i took down Ornstein and Smough. i don't consider a game that just lowers your health to one or two hits to be an effective way to judge difficulty. it's just an extended practice in trial and error without really teaching you anything.
    There's a reason (well, MANY reasons) I consider Dark Souls to be thee greatest video game I've ever played

And holy shit, thank you Trick for telling me about Hotline Miami, I can't wait to give this a shot. I vaguely remember coming across it months ago, but I wasn't paying much attention to it. And FTL is something I have been planning on jumping into for some time now.

I totally get what you're saying about cheap difficulty though nathan. Out of habit I always toss on the hardest setting whenever I play a new game, and it usually quickly becomes apparent which games are just cumbersomely cheap.
    Granted, there have been a few parts during Bioshock Infinite 1999 where I scream CHEAP with bloody hatred. But, amazingly, with a little adjusting to my approach and really utilizing vigors and tact, I somehow keep making it through. I might be singing a different story after tonight though, I've heard/read some shit about this last part of the game on 1999.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

OMG Hotline Miami looks amazing.

Also, have any of you played HARD C.O.R.P.S.? It's Konami's anime-styled 2D reboot of Contra that came out in 2011 I think. It's mind-numbingly difficult, but it's fucking awesome.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Ok after all of that praise I gave for difficult and challenging gameplay...that was some bullshit in Bioshock Infinite. I spent HOURS on the 3 lady comstock fights, and ALL EVENING after work finishing the last couple areas of the game. I became so discouraged at the final battle that I resorted to watching youtube video after video and reading everything I could online on how to handle that battle.
    Even after all of that...I just couldn't do it. Everytime I failed I came that much closer to throwing in the towel and just watching the ending online. The thought of that, however, disgusted me, specially after all of the work I had already put in.

So I kept trying. And trying. And trying. I tried the methods/weapons/vigors combos that everyone online said worked great for 1999 mode, but I failed and failed and failed. I started mixing and matching various methods, and eventually just threw all strategies out the window and started playing around with different approaches using various gear and the zip line.
    And then out of no where, I hear that "dungdong" noise, with a new objective telling me to go to the bow of the ship. I swear I was shaking with pure joy when I realized I finally beat it. Every second following that was bliss.

As much of a proponent that I am for putting games on hard settings...I won't be doing 1999 Mode again (or any time soon, at least). I can't wait to play through the game again, but most likely will be putting it on normal. Btw, I was stoked to learn that not using the Dollar Bill machine in 1999 was an achievement I never used it simply because I saw more value for the coin in the upgrades and revives.

All that being said, I believe my experience with an already amazing game was enriched due to the soul crushing difficulty I chose to play on.

i can't wait to get home and finish my first playthrough of this game (I had to put it down for the last two nights). But the more I play it, the more I listen to the soundtrack, and the more I just admire all the concepts and artwork behind it (just got the Artbook for it off Amazon), the more I think this is the best game of the last 10 years or so.

For anyone interested in the Dark Souls games (Dogvolta), they'll be showing gameplay footage of Dark Souls 2 tomorrow on IGN.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

For anyone interested in the Dark Souls games (Dogvolta), they'll be showing gameplay footage of Dark Souls 2 tomorrow on IGN.
    Yeah I just saw that on reddit a couple hours ago. I am THRILLED.
    On the Bioshock topic, I played through the whole game again within two days (weekend) on Normal. It was far too easy (didn't die once), but it gave me a chance to play around with the vigors and such, something I didn't really get to do on 1999. And since I never died, I had all the money I needed to screw around with vigors and weapons.

Speaking of hard games and Dark Souls...So many times I have had the itch to go back and play through Demon's Souls again. But every. single. time. I get destroyed and discouraged. The brutalness of that game is simply unrelenting. Yes I've beaten the game a few times, and a NG+ or too. But no matter much I think I have that game down, it is always an uphill battle.

Somehow, I've hit my flow with Dark Souls, and I've built 7 or so characters, all of which are on at least NG+++

Did you get the PTDE content a few months ago? The content they added was incredible. The fight with Artorias might be the best boss fight in the entire game. Also, when you beat the Black Dragon Kalameet you get the Calamity Ring. It doubles the damage you take. If you're looking for a new challenge I'd strongly consider it.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

wait really? Sweet. I cant wait to see it. Love Dark/Demon Souls. Best games I've played in last 2 years. Also far as MGS5 goes....there's too much prequel/sequel jumping around. Still good games but they need to create a seperate character...and not another panzy ass Raiden. But everytime Kojima makes one of these he says it'll be the last so perhaps there's no point in rehashing things.

Did you get the PTDE content a few months ago? The content they added was incredible. The fight with Artorias might be the best boss fight in the entire game. Also, when you beat the Black Dragon Kalameet you get the Calamity Ring. It doubles the damage you take. If you're looking for a new challenge I'd strongly consider it.
    Oh of course I PTDE
    One the greatest DLC I've ever played. The fight with Kalameet is everything I could have hoped for in the expansion. I was able to solo Artorias with my completely OP caster on NG++++. I wasn't able to solo Manus, but lord did I try. I eventually saw a random white sign and summoned the help and nailed it in a heartbeat.

Now soloing Kalameet....no thank you.

Also, I've never did a Calamity Ring run...I might have to use that as an excuse to put that game back in. Have you played Bastion? I often wonder if the name Calamity Ring is a coincidence, being that Bastion's gameplay nearly centers around activating items (gods, or whatever it was) that make the game harder, and the calamity is the central event in the game.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

I haven't been able to touch Black Ops 2 in over a couple months. The whole concept bores me anymore, so I picked up Midnight Club LA and Red Dead Redemption (as well as Driver San Francisco, or whatever it's called. That game is a little too cheese for me right now). Undead Nightmare was cool, but there weren't many missions (unless maybe I missed something that's causing no mission icons to load haha). Midnight club is increasingly ridiculous. It's a good indication as to why you shouldn't drive when you've been drinking too much. Not sure where I'll go from here on my game journey, but there's got to be better games.