Page 227 of 278 FirstFirst ... 222223224225226227228229230231232 ... LastLast
Results 6,781 to 6,810 of 8313

Thread: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS4 - WII U - XBone - PS3 - 360 - WII

Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    New Skyrim expansion "Hearthfire" coming out next week. Kind of an odd addition. It's like a Sims add on. You buy land and build a house and you can adopt children. only 400pts.

So their releasing another DLC before putting Dawnguard on the PS3 and PC? Wow, fuck you Bethesda.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    it's been a long time since I've felt so satisfied beating a game (for the most part... i think i missed 2 or 3 cubes, including the last obnoxious clock one) without consulting the internet.
    I saw you on my leaderboard. You didn't get all the anti-cubes without spoilers did you? Thinking specifically of the blinking stars and the security question.

definitely cheated on the security question, got halfway through the puzzle but then got stuck like the rest of the world.

the blinking star one in the telescope room right? i'm pretty sure I got that one (although if I remember right it was my wife's idea and not mine that lead to figuring out how to convert what you see in the telescope).

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/now-pl...chford20120828

I really enjoyed watching that video. It is an hour of Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software, being very excited about Borderlands 2. I've been enjoying the first one quite a bit, and the new one looks pretty exciting.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

If I was a an avid fan of Skyrim on the PS3 (I only have it on 360, and I am HARDLY a fan of the game)....I'd be absolutely irate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

I've gotten back into Skyrim lately and I'm loving it, but I don't have Xbox Live so the DLC releases are fucking killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    So their releasing another DLC before putting Dawnguard on the PS3 and PC? Wow, fuck you Bethesda.
    Dawnguard came out for PC on August 2nd.

Well given the fact that Bethesda is so inept and downright fucking awful when it comes to programming for the PS3, I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC for PS3 never comes out.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

To be honest, Dawnguard was nothing great. The giant soul crystal world was incredibly uninspired and the vampire lord that you can become is essentially the werewolf with a different skin.
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

I did say that I wasn't a fan of Skyrim, but admittingly, it is the only thing I am playing at the moment. I decided to give this game another chance (I played for like two weeks after release, hated it) after Dawnguard hit. I just have to set my expectations right and play the game "correctly" and in the right mindset to enjoy it.
    I have been building a necromage vampire, it is neat. Max stealth tree and max archery tree, restoration tree up to necro, some points into light armor and illusion (enough to cast invisibility). I've got the difficulty up to Master and I am avoiding all exploits and such (though I need kind of cheap my restoration up to 70...I mean, who the fuck wouldn't if they wanted to lvl up restoration?).

I've got the first 3 Assasin's Creed games sitting on my shelf waiting to be played. I am probably going to download Fez and spend some time on that.
    But in all honesty, I can't get Dark Souls out of my head, I'll break sooner or later and start playing that again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

I finally picked up dark souls. So far I think it is an improvement on demons souls. I love the atmosphere that the game creates though. It feels genuinely bleak all the time.
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 18 - Slayer

Every five years I buy a Madden game, even though I have a certain level of disdain for EA. So I picked it up today.

I'm just glad they got rid of Collinsworth in the booth. That's worth $60 right there.

Anyone else pick up the PS3 version? If so, I challenge you to a duel!
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Fuck Madden.

No thanks, then we'd have to get matching his and his buses.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    I've gotten back into Skyrim lately and I'm loving it, but I don't have Xbox Live so the DLC releases are fucking killing me.
    All of this. Finally started a new character not too long ago.
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Coachella Junkie

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    All things aside, it gets my vote for the best soundtrack in any video game, period, ever.

*ahem*...

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

wow that new MGS footage looks incredible.

edit: just read that this is current gen. this is mind blowing how good this looks. I wonder though if this will be on the PS3 or if it will be a launch title for the PS4. This would be an absolute system seller.
    Last edited by nathanfairchild; 09-02-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 18 - Slayer

wow that new MGS footage looks incredible.

edit: just read that this is current gen. this is mind blowing how good this looks. I wonder though if this will be on the PS3 or if it will be a launch title for the PS4. This would be an absolute system seller.
    From my perspective it's the opposite. I bought my Ps3 with MGS, played it for one day, and flipped it as fast as my fingers possibly could. I found that game unplayably boring, with ridiculously long stretches of cutscenes followed by a few minutes of action. So dull. A promo that's a 10 minute movie makes me far less likely to be interested... even if I do understand that there are some folks out there (none that I know, but I'm sure they exist) that love Metal Gear.

For my money, there are a hundred great cover/stealth shooters these days, and another new great 3rd person game every month.

Metal Gear Solid is mostly about the story. I remember when the first one came out on the psx. There was nothing else like it. It told a really good if somewhat ridiculous story (ridiculousness is just part of what makes MGS, MGS.) and it had gameplay mechanics that incorporated stealth, which had never been done before. All those "cover/stealth" shooters that you prefer owe a humongous amount to MGS. I think you had a completely wrong approach by starting with the 4th game and expecting it to play like Splinter Cell. That's like watching Star Wars and starting with Return of the Jedi.
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 18 - Slayer

Metal Gear Solid is mostly about the story. I remember when the first one came out on the psx. There was nothing else like it. It told a really good if somewhat ridiculous story (ridiculousness is just part of what makes MGS, MGS.) and it had gameplay mechanics that incorporated stealth, which had never been done before. All those "cover/stealth" shooters that you prefer owe a humongous amount to MGS. I think you had a completely wrong approach by starting with the 4th game and expecting it to play like Splinter Cell. That's like watching Star Wars and starting with Return of the Jedi.
    I don't really see how even playing the earlier games would have helped... or at least... I played the earlier games and enjoyed them... the fourth took the cut scene thing to an extreme and was thrown out (well, re-sold) within a week...

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post
    Anyone else pick up the PS3 version? If so, I challenge you to a duel!
    My copy arrives most likely tomorrow (went for the free Amazon snail mail delivery) and I’ll give you go. Just don’t cry afterward or during. ‘thezoid’ on PS3 network.

That new MGS looks fucking bad ass. Cannot wait. Still waiting for Revengence as well.

I picked up Guns of the Patriots a while back, finally, and after being out of the loop for so long it was a shock to the system how incredibly user-unfriendly the control interface is. It's practically hostile to the player, for the first few hours it's like trying to do a rubix cube with your feet.

The first MGS had a) Genuinely innovative and pretty great gameplay, b) A much, much better balance between cutscenes and actual play time than all subsequent entries and c) An absolutely cracking story anyway. The later ones have gone off the rails into wacky manga land and incredibly convoluted soap opera lunacy, but the first one - ninja shit aside - was largely, and for my age at the time, scarily plausible. MGS2 tried to repeat the trick and went super preachy about child soldiers and the internet and... whatever the fuck else it was about, and MGS3 just didn't click with me at all the way it did for some of my friends, but both games had really unique moments and a sense of demented ambition about them that a lot of other games lack.

It's kind of like watching a movie by an artsy mad genius director who hasn't made a great film in years - it's not so much they're going to make a better movie than anybody else, but that the movie will contain little moments of that genius still, and be so unlike anything else as to be worth seeing just for the experience. The final battle in MGS2 was, IMHO, worth the giant unskippable cutscene that comes right after, and I could put up with the stupid sparkly horse lady in MGS3 given the brilliant Sorrow sequence.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure the only reason I'm still interested in the series at all is basically down to a lingering sense of guilt that on my first play through I submitted to torture and got Meryl killed. I went to school with a haunted look and survivor syndrome for like a week after.

TLDR, I won't buy this on launch but will definitely play it someday. MGS games aren't necessarily fun right through, but there just isn't anything else quite like them.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 09-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.

I had been debating for a while, with myself, if I would get the premium edition of Battlefield 3 or if I would pre-order Borderlands 2, but I've managed to empty out my wallet over the past week, and it seems that I've more to spend on in the coming weeks, so... I think I might be looking at Counter Strike: GO as my next possible game. It's only $15. Anybody get it? Any thoughts on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

i got it on pc. it plays identical to CS. I think the biggest update is that valve handles the matchmaking now and they updated all of the maps.
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 18 - Slayer

There's no wrong approach to playing a video game. If it's not fun, it's not fun. You could walk in to Return of the Jedi off the street and be amazed - lots of kids younger than me did just that... and I didn't expect it to play like Splinter Cell (which is frankly also extremely dull), I just expected to play AT ALL. It was literally 40 minutes of video in the first hour of playing after a 10 minute loading screen. You're asking for a gamer to accept all that.. why?

It was estimated that MGS4 had 10 hours of video cutscenes. It's asking a bit much for someone to come in and watch that instead of playing an entire different game. Heck, you mentioned Star Wars - I could watch the entire original trilogy in less time than the cutscenes from MGS4... and I'd rather do that. The fact that you loved the earlier games probably explains why you love the newer game - but as someone who decided to try and like it, I just couldn't do it.

Coachella Junkie

This comes out September 14.

Also it's free.
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo