Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The gift ideas thread. Because it's that time again. Already. The fuck?

Default Re: The gift ideas thread. Because it's that time again. Already. The fuck?

Default Re: The gift ideas thread. Because it's that time again. Already. The fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    OK! So I am having a hard time figuring out what to get my boyfriend for Christmas.

He gave me one really good idea (elk skin motorcycle gloves) and then, a few days after telling me...he was at a motorcycle swap meet and found a pair he liked, so he bought them. Can't really blame him, but I was a little peeved!

Vacation is out since I'm a bit broke and we're already planning to do SF on NYE and go to the snow in January/February.

I came up with getting him two nice whiskey glasses and a really nice bottle of whiskey to go with them, but I don't think that's enough.

He's really big into his motorcycles but he's more of a vintage 60s bad hipster biker movie kind of motorcycle guy and not, say, a Harley Hog dude. I thought of maybe buying some vintage pictures on Ebay of people on cool old motorcycles and framing them for his house, but framing is a bit pricey, too.

He's too tall to buy clothes for without potentially buying something with too short of sleeves. He said he wants a knife, but he would want to go buy and pick it out on his own since he claims "he's picky."

The only other thing he mentioned was a tool box...but he has like 3 already and I don't know the first thing about them.

He likes working on his motorcycles (he's doing a big conversion on one now) and he loves food. The only other idea I had was getting real Carolina BBQ ribs mailed to us...but I think that's kinda lame.
    Can't go wrong with a nice steak dinner and blowjob.

Hannah, I need help figuring out what to give a friend for her birthday. She is a PhD student and lives here in Seattle with me. She is not super materialistic, but the stuff she does keep around is all really nice, so I'm having a really hard time coming up with any ideas in my price range ($30-$60).

She is super well-traveled (she used to live in Morocco) and successfully ran her own consulting company for several years before returning to grad school. She still spends a fair amount of time flying to places like Lithuania and Argentina to give keynotes at conferences. She likes political activism and is very, very liberal. She rides her bike around everywhere (but is not hardcore about it), enjoys the symphony, good pinot noir, dark chocolate, and reading the New Yorker. She also goes to yoga classes, but I'm not sure if she actually enjoys that. She also sometimes makes jewelry. I'd say her style is sort of J. Crew meets global bazaar -- a bit of New England prep with a lot of Indian/Moroccan/Peruvian patterns and colors. She lives in a studio, so she doesn't have a lot of room for extra stuff hanging around.

...Ideas?

Stop over thinking it. Get her a good bottle of Pinot. I mean a really good bottle.

Our neighbor just brought us back some amazing chocolate from Chicago, where this company, Vosges, is based. It is some of the most exotic dark chocolate I have ever had, so amazing. Use paprika, chilies, ginger and wasabi, and other unusual flavors.

The box she got us, $40:
    http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/produ...dark-chocolate

Their other dark choc. selections:
    http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/categ...dark-chocolate
    Last edited by JustSteve; 10-13-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Hannah, I need help figuring out what to give a friend for her birthday. She is a PhD student and lives here in Seattle with me. She is not super materialistic, but the stuff she does keep around is all really nice, so I'm having a really hard time coming up with any ideas in my price range ($30-$60).

She is super well-traveled (she used to live in Morocco) and successfully ran her own consulting company for several years before returning to grad school. She still spends a fair amount of time flying to places like Lithuania and Argentina to give keynotes at conferences. She likes political activism and is very, very liberal. She rides her bike around everywhere (but is not hardcore about it), enjoys the symphony, good pinot noir, dark chocolate, and reading the New Yorker. She also goes to yoga classes, but I'm not sure if she actually enjoys that. She also sometimes makes jewelry. I'd say her style is sort of J. Crew meets global bazaar -- a bit of New England prep with a lot of Indian/Moroccan/Peruvian patterns and colors. She lives in a studio, so she doesn't have a lot of room for extra stuff hanging around.

...Ideas?

A nice travel jewelry roll in a pattern suited to her global tastes (and maybe a matching toiletry bag to go with it if the budget allows). It's a) stylistically relevant b) travel-friendly c) jewelry-friendly and d) organizational enough to suit small-space living. Tuck a picture of Wendy Davis and a Vosges bar in the zipper pocket, and I think you'll have all your bases covered.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Hannah, how are you so good at gift-giving?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post
    Yeah, the post is almost a year old. I WANT THESE PILLOWS. WOW.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Stop over thinking it. Get her a good bottle of Pinot. I mean a really good bottle.
    https://www.merryedwards.com/xe/xe.a...ewitem&p=11RR7

except not the 05, which will be really pricey. get the '11.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Our neighbor just brought us back some amazing chocolate from Chicago, where this company, Vosges, is based. It is some of the most exotic dark chocolate I have ever had, so amazing. Use paprika, chilies, ginger and wasabi, and other unusual flavors.

The box she got us, $40:
    http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/produ...dark-chocolate

Their other dark choc. selections:
    http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/categ...dark-chocolate
    Those chocolates are ridiculously good, and I have always loved the bacon chocolate ones. We sell them at Whole Foods, so obviously they are pricey, but whatever, I just sample them out so I can eat the majority.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

I need to find a birthday present for a 4-year-old girl. She's kind of a diva. I already crossed off Easy Bake Oven and a Vanity Set from the list of possible gifts. I do have to take into consideration that she has a 2-year-old brother, so toys with small parts that can be a choking hazard is somewhat out of the question.
    The only gift that keeps popping into my head is a megaphone with built-in bull horn, but I think my brother might hate me for that. I don't really know her that well, since she's my bro's girlfriend's daughter. I see her maybe once a month. I'm looking to spend no more than $70.

Playdate with Ron?
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I need to find a birthday present for a 4-year-old girl. She's kind of a diva. I already crossed off Easy Bake Oven and a Vanity Set from the list of possible gifts. I do have to take into consideration that she has a 2-year-old brother, so toys with small parts that can be a choking hazard is somewhat out of the question.
    The only gift that keeps popping into my head is a megaphone with built-in bull horn, but I think my brother might hate me for that. I don't really know her that well, since she's my bro's girlfriend's daughter. I see her maybe once a month. I'm looking to spend no more than $70.
    Books. Diva-like kids books such as Pinkalicious or Fancy Nancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Playdate with Ron?
    come on chris. did you not read what she said about toys with small parts?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Didn't think it was big enough to be a choking hazard.
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Bought those before thinking it’d be cool, but the novelty wears off quickly and only used it once before permanently discarding. I mean, it’s an extra thing taking up your drink space. And another item to have to put away afterward. If I remember correctly there may have been a peculiar smell to them as well. I guess if you are a one drink only type spunky themed party host or something.

Scanned a self designed sketch and purchased this tank top from customink.com that went over well. She does an open armed, bird wing move while running sometimes hence the design. Not super original, but the tshirt gift can be pleasing to the recipient.

The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

We threw a Titanic sinking centenary party last year, we spent weeks filling up that ice cube maker and emptying it again to make enough for the party.

Also, I only just saw noticed I'm quoted in your sig

titanic themed ice cubes are the best gift ever?

man you need to get out more.

*best stocking filler type gift for under $7 that seems to amuse most people

Robin, if your 4 year old friend likes to color, I recommend this coloring book. It's super cool and you could include an awesome set of crayons or markers.

http://sites.moca.org/thecurve/2013/...t-imaginations

Inkowash UV-reactive fabric printing kit and a pack of white t-shirts in assorted sizes. They'll be able to collect items around the house and use them to make silhouette print t-shirts for the family, and you'll be the unusual art project hero.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/lu...printing-kits/

Tiny bottles of alcohol. You know, those airport shots? They're kiddie-sized and you'll be a huge hit with your brother's girlfriend.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Gotta teach butt-chugging at a young age
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

If you're ok with everyone but the 4 year old hating you for life...

Last edited by santasutt; 10-22-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    That bear looks displeased.

Thank you to those that actually gave me serious responses! I ended up buying this Disney Princess dress-up thingy whatever. The gifts mentioned in here will definitely be taken into consideration around Christmas time. I'm really liking that tshirt thing, Hannah.