Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite venues ??

Default Favourite venues ??

For me :

V.small venue; The Doug Fir Lounge, Portland, Oregon. www.dougfirlounge.com Capacity of ~300 and it's in use nearly 7 nights a week. I've seen CSS, The Wedding Present, Bob Mould, Kasabian, Kotche & Kline amongst others here.

Midsize venue; The Crystal Ballroom, Portland, Oregon. 1500 capacity. www.danceonair.com A wonderful place for shows and almost always in use. I've seen Robert Randolph, My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses, Madness, Dinosaur Jr. and many others here. Great beer too and an easygoing attitude re: taping & photography. Teh bouncers are very laid back too as long as you're not as ass.

Large outdoor : The Gorge Amphitheatre; George, WA. 20,000 capacity. Host to Sasquatch every year and Pearl Jam & Tool have played here in the last year. Wonderful natural amphitheatre with views out onto the Columbia River. Decent sound and there isn't a bad view in the place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:G...phitheatre.jpg

Over to joo !
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Default Re: Favourite venues ??

Small Venue = The Troubadour/The El Rey
    Large Venue = The Hollywood Bowl
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    For me :

V.small venue; The Doug Fir Lounge, Portland, Oregon. www.dougfirlounge.com Capacity of ~300 and it's in use nearly 7 nights a week.
    Man, I would love to go to a show there. That place is so fun and funky. I just stopped there for lunch one day when I was in town last summer...had a yummy veggie sandwich and I'm not even a vegetarian.

Oh, and pretty much every venue in Arizona that I liked has closed down, but I do love the Orpheum Theater up here in Flagstaff on the rare occasion they have a show I'm interested in. It was built in the 20's. Holds less than 1000. They have a raised bar in the back half, 10-15 rows of seats left over from when it was a movie theater, and a slightly sloped pit area in front of the stage. At a crowded all ages show, you can go to the back and sit at the bar along the railing and right behind the soundboard. At a small show, you can walk right up to the stage- so close you could mess with guitar pedals. Or you can relax in one of the old theater seats during a dull opening act and still see the stage pretty well. Also, they will put seats in the "pit" for comedy shows.

Unfortunately, it's usually jam band central, but I've seen English Beat, The Rentals, Ozomatli, a Second City touring troupe, and a few others. Somehow, they got Rob Zombie a few weeks from now...I'll probably hit the bar for that one rather than try compete with the metalheads in the pit.

Troubadour, El Rey, Fonda, Glass House, The Warfield, The Phoenix Theater in Petaluma The Pearl, Hollywood Bowl, Greek Theatre Berkeley. Ill list more later

The Fillmore-SF
    Greek Theatre-Berkeley

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Ill list more later
    Why, exactly? You offered no information about the venues you have listed thus far; I couldn't even tell how many that was.

Playing how many venues can you name is boring; telling why you, personally, like a couple venues - as in the OP - can be very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

The Double Door - Chicago (small-ish and fun, one fo the coolest locations)

Newport - Columbus (old and amazing esp sound and sightlines) http://www.promowestlive.com/site/html/index.php

Tabernacle - Atlanta (classic history, great bands come through)

Blossom - Cleveland (ampitheater second to none as far as looks and sound)

Metro - Chicago (Wrigleyville location - side stage layout)

Southgate House - KY/Cincinnati (odd and incredible to see a show there) http://www.southgatehouse.com/

Grog Shop - Cleveland (even since the move - this place still retains the charm) http://www.grogshop.gs/index.html

The Fillmore - SF (history, sound always great)

Little Brothers - Columbus (R.I.P.)
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 11-12-2007 at 11:54 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Why, exactly? You offered no information about the venues you have listed thus far; I couldn't even tell how many that was.

Playing how many venues can you name is boring; telling why you, personally, like a couple venues - as in the OP - can be very interesting.
    I dont have time to put info, geez, just responding. I can put more info so your ass can be happy in about 4 hours ok?

Troubadour, Henry Fonda, Hollywood Bowl

Troubadour? Seriously? That place is impossible to move around and unless you get there way early you're lucky to be able to see a damn thing. That's why the real winner in the Los Angeles smaller venue category is the El Rey. And the balcony section is where it should be... way in the back so it's not hanging over half the audience (you hear me Fonda and Knitting Factory?).

As for the best larger venue in LA, I really want to say the Hollywood Bowl since so many fun nights have been spent there. Unfortunately the sound, or lack thereof, really counts against the venue. It's way too quiet toward the back and hardly loud enough in the middle. The ticket prices up front are also ridiculous which is another strike against.

The Greek in LA is pretty cool, but they don't book enough bands I wanna see. Hell, I think the ghetto-ass Forum in Inglewood might have my vote. It's loud, not too much echo, plenty of beer vendors around the floor (note to Sports Arena, it's hot and thirsty on the floor, add more beer) and the floor is never too crowded.

Honorable mention - Coors Amphitheatre in Chula Vista - super nice lawn
    John Anson Ford Amphitheatre - nice intimate outdoor venue
    Avalon - awesome sound

Semi-Large venue: Webster Hall - if only for the batman-esque looking decor
    small venue: probably Mercury Lounge...no bad spot to stand, nice look of the place, always has good music

honorable mention for The Hook in Red Hook. Terrible location, but one of the best soundsystems I've come in contact with at a small club

i dont know really considering the question ... from the past cbgb, any of the 3 filmores, east, west, or Co .... never been to the gorge but am thinking that will be up there, so of course, i go for red rocks ..... almost everyone has played there .. i saw a few there myself .. so i vote for the rocks... canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by meyouseek View Post
    Troubadour? Seriously? That place is impossible to move around and unless you get there way early you're lucky to be able to see a damn thing. That's why the real winner in the Los Angeles smaller venue category is the El Rey. And the balcony section is where it should be... way in the back so it's not hanging over half the audience (you hear me Fonda and Knitting Factory?).

As for the best larger venue in LA, I really want to say the Hollywood Bowl since so many fun nights have been spent there. Unfortunately the sound, or lack thereof, really counts against the venue. It's way too quiet toward the back and hardly loud enough in the middle. The ticket prices up front are also ridiculous which is another strike against.

The Greek in LA is pretty cool, but they don't book enough bands I wanna see. Hell, I think the ghetto-ass Forum in Inglewood might have my vote. It's loud, not too much echo, plenty of beer vendors around the floor (note to Sports Arena, it's hot and thirsty on the floor, add more beer) and the floor is never too crowded.

Honorable mention - Coors Amphitheatre in Chula Vista - super nice lawn
    John Anson Ford Amphitheatre - nice intimate outdoor venue
    Avalon - awesome sound
    1. I've shown up 5-10 minutes before doors opened for Arcade Fire and got in the front row @ The Troubador. Easy as fuck to get up front for stuff that doesn't sell out like Xiu Xiu and Q and not U.
    2. The Henry Fonda balcony only hangs over the bar area.
    3. The Forum has the worst sound in all of LA. Unless you're on the floor 5 feet from the stage don't count on hearing any vocals. And it shouldn't cost $25 to park anywhere. I could understand if The Forum were in Beverly Hills and not da Wood.

1. Pushing people aside will work at any venue. I prefer not to be that guy. The balcony at Troubadour is always packed and the venue is so shallow... it just doesn't work for me other than you're pretty close to the stage no matter where you are.

2. The balcony over the bar thing bugs me, just like at the Mayan. At least the sound is better in that area at Fonda.

3. What? I've never had a complaint about the sound in the Forum. I've seen Phish, Beasties, Muse and others there and they've always sounded solid. As for the parking cost... I honestly don't remember paying that much. Is that for every show? You sure some thug didn't just wander over to the entrance of the lot and jack you for $25?

I'd like to hear more from you folks on WHY your favourite venues are your favourite. I hear the names of places all the time on here; many times you folks (particularly you SF or LA folks) see a band a couple of days before/after I see them here at the Crystal or the Doug Fir and it's interesting to read about these places in other cities 'our' bands play in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    i dont know really considering the question ... from the past cbgb, any of the 3 filmores, east, west, or Co .... never been to the gorge but am thinking that will be up there, so of course, i go for red rocks ..... almost everyone has played there .. i saw a few there myself .. so i vote for the rocks... canx**
    ya know The Fillmore East is now an Emigrant Savings Bank...

I have never had a problem viewing the stage from anywhere in the Troubadour, you can even see it from the fucking bathroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden31 View Post
    ya know The Fillmore East is now an Emigrant Savings Bank...
    didn't they re-open it as a concert venue recently? didn't the White Stripes play there?

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Large Venue: Red Rocks Amphitheater
    I have only been in Denver for a year and the move was worth it for this venue alone. Saw so many great shows and really the seats are great no matter where you are at! But it does go without saying...

Small Venue: The Joint at the Hard Rock Las Vegas.
    This was really the only venue I ever went to in LV. The Hob in Vegas is so crapped and small that I hated attending shows there. I have very fond memories at the Joint so that helps also...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

3. What? I've never had a complaint about the sound in the Forum. I've seen Phish, Beasties, Muse and others there and they've always sounded solid. As for the parking cost... I honestly don't remember paying that much. Is that for every show? You sure some thug didn't just wander over to the entrance of the lot and jack you for $25?
    Parking was $22 at the Forum for Interpol. It was $20 in 2006 for a couple of shows I saw there. They jack up the parking prices there because your alternative is to park in really shady areas. Got to love that place.
    For your health

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Parking was $22 at the Forum for Interpol. It was $20 in 2006 for a couple of shows I saw there. They jack up the parking prices there because your alternative is to park in really shady areas. Got to love that place.
    $22 ??? Cheese and Rice.....
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I'm gonna say the same for both the Greek and the Hollywood Bowl. They are wonderful, but parking definitely deducts a couple of points. At least the Bowl has various shuttle bus options, but the Greek is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    didn't they re-open it as a concert venue recently? didn't the White Stripes play there?
    not really...the current Fillmore East is the former Irving Plaza which is probably about 10 blocks apart

former fillmore east

current fillmore east

1. Pushing people aside will work at any venue. I prefer not to be that guy. The balcony at Troubadour is always packed and the venue is so shallow... it just doesn't work for me other than you're pretty close to the stage no matter where you are.

2. The balcony over the bar thing bugs me, just like at the Mayan. At least the sound is better in that area at Fonda.

1. Nobody needs to push aside anyone, silly. As long as you're one of the first hundred people inside, you will get into the first or second row, guaranteed. Most people immediately rush the bars because they are alcoholic losers.

The El Rey, the Fonda, the Wiltern, the Hollywood Bowl.

I love the Greek, but the parking situation is ridiculous. Plus, it'd be nice if you could bring food inside.

The Troubadour-The sound is good there, the venue is small and they consistently book great acts

The Echo-Louder than the Troub, more indie, smaller. It's a great place to hang out. Lots of snobby people show up. I loves it.

The El Rey-About as big as I can take right now. The sound is pristine since the remodel, it looks really nice, and tons of awesome bands play there.

The Fonda-I'm conflicted. The crowds frequently suck, and the parking situation is usually shitty, but damn if they don't have some great shows, and it looks really nice inside. Ditto for the Avalon, only with less good bands.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

vinylmartyr

Hollywood Palladium

greek theater-big
    Great american music hall=small
    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Make up rumors of who's playing > keep track of who's confirmed > whine about where the lineup is > lineup announced! > bitch about how the lineup sucks > whine about what bands will be added > bands finally added! > whine about where set times are > set times finally announced! > bitch about how set times suck > goto show > come back and say Coachella was best ever! > start rumors for next year

The Mint, Los Angeles CA: Divey sort of place. Very intimate. They have tables and serve dinner before most shows. Bartenders and bouncers are theawesomestever and know your name. Weird, eclectic crowd.

Rooftop of the Standard Hotel, Los Angeles CA: It's on a roof. They have a pool. They have alcohol. They can project images on the side of buildings. It's pretty people. They should have more fun music and less cheesy DJs.

The Smell, Los Angeles CA: Always $5. Always. No liquor license; People drinking 40s in the alley. Mostly teenagers who will turn up to crowdsurf regardless of day of the week or type of music playing. Excellent vegan cookies.

Pappy & Harriet's, Pioneertown CA: It's like stepping into an old western movie. It's about an hour away from Coachella. They are cooler than you.

Ballroom Marfa, Marfa TX: It's in the middle of nowhere in Western Texas. It just opened a couple years ago and they only have maybe one concert per month but these concerts have been: Boris, Sonic Youth, Animal Collective, Jose Gonzalez, The Watson Twins, Grizzly Bear, The Papercuts, Jeff Tweedy, Joanna Newsom, Jenny Lewis, The Transgressors, Oakley Hall, Ghostland Observatory, Schuyler Fisk, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness, Patty Griffin, Okkervil River, Magnolia Electric Co, Yo La Tengo, Spoon, Trans Am and Califone. I pretty much am in love with them.

The El Rey, Los Angeles CA: They have good sound. They have pretty chandeliers. They have nice people who work there.

Maxwell's, Hoboken NJ: So casual that there is absolutely no pretense. And good shows. Sort of an East Coast equivalent of The Mint only a little bigger. Best annual Hannukah show around, too. I miss Maxwell's.

MASS MoCA, North Adams MA: It's an old converted factory complex. They have lots of big, empty concrete spaces and minimalist contemporary art installations. They also randomly get musicians like Clem Snide, Yo La Tengo, Martha Wainwright, Thurston Moore, Cowboy Junkies, They Might Be Giants, Philip Glass, Mission of Burma, Patti Smith and Loudon Wainwright to come perform.

Empire Polo Field, Indio CA: Because someone had to say it.

Last edited by Courtney; 11-12-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: + pictures