Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 73

Thread: Best compact camera for concerts?

  1. #31
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,940

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Grab the Canon and dont look back...



    The Panasonic isnt as ''ciompact'' as you thnk, look at the dimensions.

  2. #32
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,861

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by arbouler View Post
    ive been meaning to get this one

    this point and shoot has the RAW function built in it. it's a bit expensive but it's so pretty.
    i really want it, but i'd rather buy a new lens
    http://www.leica-camera.us/photograp...meras/d-lux_3/
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...leicadlux3.asp



    but its about 600 bucks.

    then again, if you wanna spend a lot of money on a compact, you might wanna spend more time waiting in line like supre to get to the front row. if not, theres no point buying an expensive one if youre still gonna be in the back of the crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post


    My husband has one - he LOVES it. He's taken this D-Lux, a C-lux, and his Digi-lux to the last three Coachellas.
    Hi, I have a question on those D-3s. I want to buy my older daughter a camera for christmas, she's got a little digital now but is taking a photography class and seems to have some talent and wants to pursue it further and with a better camera. I asked her if she wanted a digital SLR and she said "those are really nice but with the techonology out there today the point-and-shoots can be really good too". I had her look at the Leicas online and now she says she wants that.

    My question is, everything I read about the D-3 says it is "fully manual". is there an autofocus (auto-everything really) option as well? or is manual the only way those things go?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  3. #33

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hi, I have a question on those D-3s. I want to buy my older daughter a camera for christmas, she's got a little digital now but is taking a photography class and seems to have some talent and wants to pursue it further and with a better camera. I asked her if she wanted a digital SLR and she said "those are really nice but with the techonology out there today the point-and-shoots can be really good too". I had her look at the Leicas online and now she says she wants that.

    My question is, everything I read about the D-3 says it is "fully manual". is there an autofocus (auto-everything really) option as well? or is manual the only way those things go?
    The D-Lux, does full manual including fucous, and it will shoot RAW format.
    On the back of the camra is a little joy stick which will perform all the functions in manual mode. It takes a little getting used to but once you get the hang of it, you can be totaly creative with shuch a small camera. also the D-lux lets you choose full auto or any part of the automation mix and match as you please.
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

  4. #34
    Member rAnimatorX2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Man last year, I snapped my FIRST photo of the trip walking in on Friday. Then my camera froze up, wouldn't turn off and eventually got so hot that it melted a hole in my backpack and I had to remove the batteries. Very bizarre.

  5. #35
    old school MassiveChemicalPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    City of God
    Posts
    3,235

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by rAnimatorX2 View Post
    Man last year, I snapped my FIRST photo of the trip walking in on Friday. Then my camera froze up, wouldn't turn off and eventually got so hot that it melted a hole in my backpack and I had to remove the batteries. Very bizarre.
    That totally sucks.

    What camera was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    i think i would rather suck AIDZ out of gary colemans nutt.

  6. #36
    Member paganman7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,364

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Calling Supre (or anyone else who knows)...

    what do you think of the Casio Elixim EX-S880?

    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Casio...oductDetail.do

  7. #37
    ASS FACE ThomThom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    9,590

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    I had a Casio Elixim that I bought about 2 years ago, had it for 29 days, it sucked major ass, exchanged for a Canon powershot on the 30th day.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

  8. #38
    Member paganman7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,364

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I had a Casio Elixim that I bought about 2 years ago, had it for 29 days, it sucked major ass, exchanged for a Canon powershot on the 30th day.

    Thanks homie.

    I take it you liked the Canon better? Size is a major concern of mine. Is the canon small?

  9. #39
    Member paganman7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,364

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    How about the Canon SD-750?

  10. #40
    old school
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    land
    Posts
    3,191

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    What are some favorable settings/tips that those with decent cameras use at concerts? ISO setting (higher for darker venues)? Spot focus v. Multi? Spot Metering?
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

  11. #41
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,130

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    i usually wait for a nice bright light section in the performance if i am further back

  12. #42
    old school MarkO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I can hear them calling way from Oregon
    Posts
    4,600

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy75 View Post
    What are some favorable settings/tips that those with decent cameras use at concerts? ISO setting (higher for darker venues)? Spot focus v. Multi? Spot Metering?
    I just let the AF do its thing. Never less than 1/125s for shutter speed. Anything over 400iso is too grainy and many will say 400iso is too grainy too. I spot meter off the main subject if its darker.

    If there are red(ish) lights on stage, I don't even bother taking a pic. It never comes out right.

    Supre is the king of p&s photos on this board imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

  13. #43

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Anyone have any good recommendations on compact cameras that work well at concerts. Trying to spend <$500. My top three priorities are 1) Easy to use, 2) Picture Quality, and 3) Compact.
    This discussion is a bit outdated. Anybody want to recommend a relatively newer point n shoot camera that's great for concerts, etc? My priorities are same as above, but I'd like to spend < $400, and it's also really important to take good video at shows, meaning good sound quality (doesnt distort when bass gets loud), and HD would be nice too. The old sony cybershots used to be great for sound, but I bought a new one recently, and the mic's can't handle the loud bass like the old ones used to. Also the new ones are a little over complicated.

    Any help would be appreciated...
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

  14. #44
    photoslut ivankay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stanton, Ca
    Posts
    7,897

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    i am a big fan of my Canon G9. The series is up to G11, but i have seen G10s for that $399 range. The 10 has one excellent advantage over the 9 and that is it's wider lens. Great manual functions and easy to werk with once you know how. A negative is it's bulky size. It's a tight fit in a regular sized pocket.

    Sound for movies is pretty good in my opinion:


    For this i was just behind the sound board. i hate to use the digital zoom during movies because it looks like shit.


    Not the best sounding clip, but this will give you an idea of how the recording level readjusts as i got closer. The bass is shitty distorted.

    This is a picture from that Royksopp show i took recently:



    i took it from the back of the room at Nokia, 800 ISO, 1/25 at 4.0. Not bad considering all it has going against it.


    This is more ideal: 80ISO, 1/1250, 4.0...but i am using a wide lens adapter that you buy separately.

    And i agree with the statements made about Chris. Man know his shit about P&S. i would be very interested in what he's interested in at this moment.

  15. #45
    Member prettydirtything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York (upstate)
    Posts
    913

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    I got a Panasonic DMC-ZS3 recently after I saw someone in front of me at a show getting decent shots while I was SOL with a canon IS1000 (which I lost recently). Haven't figured out much so far, but it works using just AF and it has stereo sound input and shoots 720p video. It does take a few seconds for the lens to retract, but it has a thin profile and fits easily in a front pocket.
    Last edited by prettydirtything; 12-12-2009 at 11:48 AM.
    02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2

  16. #46
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,940

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Ransom View Post
    This discussion is a bit outdated. Anybody want to recommend a relatively newer point n shoot camera that's great for concerts, etc? My priorities are same as above, but I'd like to spend < $400, and it's also really important to take good video at shows, meaning good sound quality (doesnt distort when bass gets loud), and HD would be nice too. The old sony cybershots used to be great for sound, but I bought a new one recently, and the mic's can't handle the loud bass like the old ones used to. Also the new ones are a little over complicated.

    Any help would be appreciated...
    youll probably have to stick to the old Sonys cause my canon stuff cant deal with the sound. I woudl say if you want to get a nice little camera with easy use, hd video and all that woudl be the canon SD 780 IS. You can grab one for $200.

  17. #47

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by prettydirtything View Post
    I got a Panasonic DMC-ZS3 recently after I saw someone in front of me at a show getting decent shots while I was SOL with a canon IS1000 (which I lost recently). Haven't figured out much so far, but it works using just AF and it has stereo sound input and shoots 720p video. It does take a few seconds for the lens to retract, but it has a thin profile and fits easily in a front pocket.
    thanks. hows the sound from concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    youll probably have to stick to the old Sonys cause my canon stuff cant deal with the sound.
    yea, after i lost my old cybershot, i bought a new one, but sound sucked, so then i bought an old one off ebay. but now im getting tired of the focus problem they have and figure there's gotta be a camera out these days with comparable sound, that also has all the new bells and whistles like 720p, etc.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

  18. #48
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,940

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Trial and error pretty much, youll have to just see what peopel do at shows. Or find videos on youtube that are in HD and have good sound, email the uploader and find out what they use. I get those every once in a while.

  19. #49
    Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
    Posts
    16,490

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    I'm rocking a Canon Powershot SD 790 IS and it seems to work just fine but all I typically take pictures of are my enormous balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

  20. #50
    photoslut ivankay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stanton, Ca
    Posts
    7,897

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'm rocking a Canon Powershot SD 790 IS and it seems to work just fine but all I typically take pictures of are my enormous balls.
    You definitely need a wide angle lens for that.

  21. #51
    Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
    Posts
    16,490

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    "Did you see that guy's balls?"'

    "Yeah ... they were weird lookin'."
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

  22. #52
    Member karma_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    anyone have advice on the Canon PowerShot S90?
    last.fm/user/killakat

  23. #53
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,940

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Is that what you bought?

  24. #54
    Member prettydirtything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York (upstate)
    Posts
    913

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Ransom View Post
    thanks. hows the sound from concerts?
    Tried out the video function for the first time at the arctic monkeys show last night. I was really surprised... First point and shoot camera I've owned that had good audio! http://rapidshare.com/files/319990384/00000.mpg.html

    The video (lens) quality is good , but I was bouncing around so its shaky as hell and not really pointed at anything. When the sounds goes muffled at the 45sec mark, its because my hand went over the (2) mikes.

    Word of warning: the video this camera (and other Sony and Panasonic camera) is saved in a format called "AVCHD". It can be handled by iMovie and other apps, but its definitely one you will have to convert before posting to youtube or anything like that.
    Last edited by prettydirtything; 12-12-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2

  25. #55
    Member karma_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Is that what you bought?
    oh man, that was a fuck up on word choice from me.
    i meant, whats the consensus on the Canon PowerShot S90?
    the 3 cameras I'm lookin' at right now are:

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
    Canon PowerShot S90
    Canon PowerShot G11

    ideally, i'd love to get the Nikon D5000 but it's a dSLR and i'm pretty sure that security wouldn't let me take that in to shows/festivals
    last.fm/user/killakat

  26. #56
    Member prettydirtything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York (upstate)
    Posts
    913

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by karma_guy View Post
    oh man, that was a fuck up on word choice from me.
    i meant, whats the consensus on the Canon PowerShot S90?
    the 3 cameras I'm lookin' at right now are:

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
    Canon PowerShot S90
    Canon PowerShot G11

    ideally, i'd love to get the Nikon D5000 but it's a dSLR and i'm pretty sure that security wouldn't let me take that in to shows/festivals
    the first camera is over $800!!

    the S90 is a ~$350 point and shoot; so those 2 aren't really comparable cameras. If you can afford the $800, it will surely take better pictures and has a kick ass design.

    That G11 looks nice, but I have never used it, so________________
    02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2

  27. #57
    photoslut ivankay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stanton, Ca
    Posts
    7,897

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Be sure to go into a store and handle all of your potential choices. People don't like my G9 when they hold it because they think it's too big. G11 is smaller.

  28. #58
    Member karma_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Be sure to go into a store and handle all of your potential choices. People don't like my G9 when they hold it because they think it's too big. G11 is smaller.
    yeah i'm going to check em out in store later today
    my only concern with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 is that while it's a smaller camera
    it's got a removable lens
    that said, it really doesn't look like a SLR or even a dSLR
    last.fm/user/killakat

  29. #59
    Bambi menikmati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    15,062

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    Go with the G11....I wish I had one.

  30. #60
    old school MarkO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I can hear them calling way from Oregon
    Posts
    4,600

    Default Re: Best compact camera for concerts?

    I'm considering selling my G3 & S3 to put $ towards a G11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Similar Threads

  1. Best Cell Phone for Concerts
    By garrett222 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 08:52 PM
  2. LA Area concerts going on sale this week
    By psychic friend in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 09:31 PM
  3. CAMERA CAMERA CAMERA BIG REWARD!!!!
    By jbryars in forum Passes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 11:41 AM
  4. Looking for Coachella-like concerts!
    By Itchi_calle in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 09:36 PM
  5. Backpacks into concerts
    By babyduck33 in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 12:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •