Thread: Southern Rock

Default Southern Rock

So I'm curious if there are any southern rock fans on here. I would like to start out by saying that i am not, by any shred of the imagination, a Widespread Panic fan. Everyone knows I has shaggy blond curls and go to moe shows, but Panic just sucks and we all know it. Having said that, southern rock is a wonderful genre thats great on disc and a lot of fun live. The likes of Lynard Skynard and the Allman Brothers are decent and will inevitably come up, decent stuff. But I like more Government Mule on the jammy side of things and Better than Ezra on the indie side of things. My personal favorite is a southern rocker by the name of Jerry Joseph whether he be with the Jackmormons, solo acoustic, or in his latest incarnation "and friends." I know that our resident old farts (Greg and Tom) dabble enough in classic rock and folk to have enough to contribute. There are also lots of relevant acts that straddle the alternative genre as well ie Warren Zevon. So is anyone else on the board into the singer songwriters who always have a story to tell and a cig burning in the fret? I'm looking for some suggestions new and old.
    Last edited by xbnmx; 11-04-2007 at 03:30 AM. Reason: To Prevent Douchebagery

Default Re: Southern Rock

I always think of Happy Gilmore, Carl Weathers, and his wooden prosthetic hand whenever I listen to Skynyrd's Tuesday's Gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    if i had 1200 bucks id buy another guitar, or a bunch of pot...

Quote Originally Posted by SojuGorae View Post
    I always think of Happy Gilmore, Carl Weathers, and his wooden prosthetic hand whenever I listen to Skynyrd's Tuesday's Gone.
    hahaha...
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by xbnmx View Post
    So I'm curious if there are any southern rock fans on here. I would like to start out by saying that i am not, by any shred of the imagination, a Widespread Panic fan. Everyone knows I has shaggy blond curls and go to moe shows, but Panic just sucks and we all know it. Having said that, southern rock is a wonderful genre thats great on disc and a lot of fun live. The likes of Lynard Skynard and the Allman Brothers are decent and will inevitably come up, decent stuff. But I like more Government Mule on the jammy side of things and Better than Ezra on the indie side of things. My personal favorite is a southern rocker by the name of Jerry Joseph whether he be with the Jackmormons, solo acoustic, or in his latest incarnation "and friends." I know that our resident old farts (Greg and Tom) dabble enough in classic rock and folk to have enough to contribute. There are also lots of relevant acts that straddle the alternative genre as well ie Warren Zevon. So is anyone else on the board into the singer songwriters who always have a story to tell and a cig burning in the fret? I'm looking for some suggestions new and old.
    Jerry Joseph is completely awesome. I'm surprised to hear him mentioned here. Ten points.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

is steve miller band considered "southern rock"? i really dig his/their shit...

fever dog
    scratchin' at my back door

This is ridiculous. Southern rock does not imply hick shit.

2000 to present the resurgence

In the late 90's early 2000s, Detroit rapcore star Kid Rock began slowing blending in Southern rock tunes next to his in your face rap tunes in 2001 he included several Southern rock tracks on his Cocky (album) album and then a full out blitz of it on his 2003 self-titled album. His major influence has been Lynyrd Skynyrd, the admiration looks like it goes both ways. Leon Wilkeson (on the song "American Beauty"-left off Cocky after his death) and Billy Powell (on the upcoming song "All Summer Long") have joined him on his albums,while they allowed him to cover Free Bird on his 2006 "Live" Trucker album.In 2003 he also joined them on a remake of Gimmie Back My Bullets. He inducted them into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005.

In 2005, Southern rock received new exposure from an unlikely source: singer Bo Bice took an explicitly Southern rock sensibility and appearance to a runner-up finish on the massively watched but normally pop-oriented American Idol television program. Fueled by a key early performance of the Allmans' "Whipping Post" and later performing Skynyrd's "Free Bird" and, with Skynyrd on stage with him, "Sweet Home Alabama," Bice demonstrated that Southern rock still had a place in the American music pantheon.

Post-grunge bands such as Saliva, Nickelback, Default, and Theory of a Deadman, have included a Southern rock feel to their songs and have gone as far as to cover Southern rock classics like "Simple Man" and "Tuesday's Gone". Metallica has also covered "Tuesday's Gone" on their Garage Inc. album.

Additionally, Indie Rock groups such as Kings of Leon, My Morning Jacket, Ocha la Rocha, Soulhat and The Steepwater Band combine Southern rock with rawer genres, such as garage rock, alt-country, and blues-rock.

Much of the old style Southern rock (as well as other classic rock) has made its transition into the country music genre, establishing itself along the lines of outlaw country in recent years. Bands such as Skynyrd and Daniels frequently play country music venues, and the influence of Southern rock can be heard in many of today's country artists, particularly male vocalists.

Several of the original early 1970s hard rock Southern rock groups are still performing in 2007. This list includes Gregg Allman, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Marshall Tucker, the French band The Electric Church, Freedom and Whiskey, and The Outlaws. New groups such as Gator Country, Gov't Mule, Southern Rock Allstars, Dickey Betts & Great Southern, and Thunderfoot are continuing the Southern rock art form.
    Last edited by xbnmx; 11-04-2007 at 01:43 PM.

I think My Morning Jacket and Kings of Leon could be considered a new breed of Southern Rock.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Off-topic...

Hey, Shotglass, did you ever get into it with that one guy who wanted to kick your ass? You know the guy who referred to you as "shitglass" just before the festival
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    if i had 1200 bucks id buy another guitar, or a bunch of pot...

LOL Shitglass
    I miss Bill Hicks.

I have to be honest here: If you want me to believe Southern rock "does not imply hick shit," you can't go around posting an article that prominently cites such luminaries as Bo Bice, Kid Rock, Nickelback, and Saliva.

It's never a good idea to present evidence in support of your argument that actually defeats your argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    I think My Morning Jacket and Kings of Leon could be considered a new breed of Southern Rock.
    Did you read the post above yours or what?