Page 507 of 584 FirstFirst ... 502503504505506507508509510511512 ... LastLast
Results 15,181 to 15,210 of 17515

Thread: It's NBA time

Default Re: It's NBA time

Now they can compete for that coveted 6th seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    The Black Mamba said that Team USA could beat The Dream Team, agree or disagree?
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ lulz @ Kobe
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)
    Michael Jordan says there's no way Kobe Bryant and this year's USA Olympic basketball team could've beaten the 1992 Dream Team.

AMERICA'S TEAM
    Meet the 12 members of Team USA who will be going to London.
    Jordan told The Associated Press Thursday that he laughed, ''I absolutely laughed'' when hearing Bryant's comments that the squad training in Las Vegas could take Jordan and company.

Jordan says there was ''no comparison'' which team was better, adding that Byrant comparing the two teams ''is not one of the smarter things he ever could have done.''

Jordan spoke prior to a celebrity golf tournament in Charlotte.

He says the 1992 team, which included 11 future Hall of Famers and won its six games by an average of more than 43 points en route to capturing the gold medal, may not have been as athletic but was definitely smarter.

I don't think 90% of the 2012 team wouldn't even make the 1992 roster.

EDIT* Isn't Tyson Chandler their only center? Lul. Good luck guarding David Robinson and Patrick Ewing.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 07-12-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I think our team needs to focus on the present competition before worrying about their legacy. I want to see some nasty defense out there - some John Stockton nut grabbing and Karl Malone/CB34 bullyball. Let's beat these Chucks into submission. Then we'll talk about greatest of all-time. Coach K is currently my favorite team member.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbles View Post
    I think our team needs to focus on the present competition before worrying about their legacy. I want to see some nasty defense out there - some John Stockton nut grabbing and Karl Malone/CB34 bullyball. Let's beat these Chucks into submission. Then we'll talk about greatest of all-time. Coach K is currently my favorite team member.
    Hopefully Kobe gets these guys to do this and puts his money where his mouth is. I want to see wins by 35+ every game.

USA sending a message to DOM

What a relief, I was worried. If there's any team we need to send a message to, it's the fucking Dominican Republic.

Do they have a 15-year old on their team?

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    What a relief, I was worried. If there's any team we need to send a message to, it's the fucking Dominican Republic.

Do they have a 15-year old on their team?
    I think we should've beat them by even more than we did. I'm not satisfied.

I want BLOOD.

“For any Brooklynites still rooting for the Manhattan Knicks, as of November I’m giving you fair warning ... it’s treason to support the outer borough’s team over our Brooklyn Nets.” -- Borough President of Brooklyn Marty Markowitz
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

stay cLAssy

Lakers trying to get Howard via 3-way trade; in talks with Magic/Cavs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    stay cLAssy
    I totally forgot Keystone existed, haven't had it since college. This also has to be some sort of ad for them right?

Also Lakers need to stop worrying so much about getting Howard. Even with him they aren't going to win the Championship and that's simply because they are still going to have the worst bench in the league. The Bench and a 3 point shooter needs to be the bigger priority, not Howard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

^ Good point. Also, am I the only one who's not entirely convinced that Nash and Kobe can co-exist?

Wishful thinking.

Seriously though, I think they can as long as Kobe understands that his days of averaging +27 ppg are over, it'll have to be more like 20-25 pts and he has to focus more on boards, dishing -- which I'm sure he will, especially if he knows it's the difference between catching Jordan or not.

Kobe is one of the most competitive players in the league. He knows taking a bit of a step back with Nash in the mix will win a lot more games for them. They'll be fine.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Wishful thinking.
    Eh, I stated earlier that I approved of the trade. Tough to see him in a Laker uniform no doubt, but I have no ill will towards Steve Nash. Also, the Suns are going to suck so it's not like we're going to be competing for anything.

No, I know.

If the fucking Cavs go along with the deal to get Howard to the Lakers, when they apparently were opposed to going along with the deal to get him to the Nets because they didn't want to assist the creation of another "Big Three," then I hope the entire organization commits collective suicide. The Lakers having a Big Three that includes Dwight Howard would be significantly worse for the league than the fucking Nets having one with him.

Regarding Steve Nash, I hope he makes it to an NBA Finals with the Lakers. He deserves that much. I hope he never wins a championship with them, though, or at least not as long as Kobe is with the team. (And let's face it, if Kobe isn't there, they're not getting to the Finals.)
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Hahaha... you're a dick.

With Nash at the helm, both Gasol and Bynum will believe that there's a legitimate chance that they could get the ball on any given possession. Expect their production to go way up. Kobe won't have to do more of anything. I expect to him have a cruise control season, and be in tip top shape for the playoffs.

Also, it's going to be funny how much better Mike Brown will look as a result of Nash. Hello Antoni v2.0.
    Last edited by Mr. Dylanja; 07-14-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Nash should go to Kobe's surgeon in Germany. He'll play even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Nash should go to Kobe's surgeon in Germany. He'll play even longer.
    Truthfully I wouldn't be surprised if Nash plays for another 5-7 years despite his age. It just seems like the older he gets the better he is. Obviously that's not true otherwise he would have more MVP awards but he really is an ageless wonder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    If the fucking Cavs go along with the deal to get Howard to the Lakers, when they apparently were opposed to going along with the deal to get him to the Nets because they didn't want to assist the creation of another "Big Three," then I hope the entire organization commits collective suicide. The Lakers having a Big Three that includes Dwight Howard would be significantly worse for the league than the fucking Nets having one with him.
    You realize Cleveland plays LA once a year. The Nets, 4 times a year, and a chance (lol cleveland) to meet them in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    You realize Cleveland plays LA twice a year.
    Fixed.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Overnight, the Jeremy Lin saga has taken a curious turn. It's been assumed the Knicks would match Houston's offer sheet, but now it looks like they've acquired Ray Felton instead. The buzz - as is so often the case in the NYC tabloids - has reached wild heights, with the possibility of bringing in Chris Paul suddenly reignited...

Jeremy Lin may be worth $25.1M for Houston Rockets, but not for NY Knicks if team can acquire Chris Paul next year

The Knicks may still buy into the notion that Jeremy Lin is some kind of savior-in-waiting for them. But if they essentially buy Lin off the Rockets for the offer sheet Houston has offered him, maybe they are the ones who are a little bit Linsane. And if a deal that will pay Lin nearly max NBA money in a couple of years costs the Knicks any chance at Chris Paul when Paul becomes available as a free agent in a year, then they will be acting certifiable.

Look at it another way: Look at what Victor Cruz did for the Giants when he came out of nowhere last season when he was breaking the Giants’ single-season record for receiving yards and look at what Lin did for the Knicks, and tell me that it was really close. No matter how swept away everybody was by what Lin did in the month of February, starting with the day before the Super Bowl against the Nets.

This doesn’t mean Lin isn’t a very nice, unselfish player and a nice young man with what is obviously a tremendous backstory just since he graduated Harvard. Maybe he can make the Knicks better next season than they were without him in the playoffs.

Or maybe a playoff series against the Miami Heat, which wasn’t very nice to him in the regular season, would have exposed Lin, and he would have turned the ball over too much, and the Rockets wouldn’t have come after him with a deal that doesn’t just pay him $25 million but nearly pays him $15 million in the third year of the deal. It would mean the Knicks, if they match, will have a small fortune tied up in four basketball players:

Carmelo.

Amar’e.

Tyson Chandler.

And . . . Jeremy Lin?

It was assumed all along that the Knicks would match the Rockets’ offer sheet, once they actually got the Rockets’ offer sheet, until the word began to get around on Saturday night that the Knicks were trading for Raymond Felton. Now, nobody ever discussed Felton as an instant global icon, but you may remember that the Knicks were going along very nicely — before the Carmelo Anthony trade — with Felton as the point guard.

But he did pretty well in Mike D’Antoni’s system, working it with Amar’e Stoudemire, before he was one of the Knicks who had to leave town to make room for Anthony. And suddenly on Saturday night, Knicks fans started to think that Jason Kidd and Raymond Felton was not such a terrible alternative to Kidd and Lin, and a whole heck of a lot cheaper. And might keep the Knicks in play for Paul when the time comes.

Understand: The Knicks may still want Lin. Or maybe they have taken a step back and taken a hard look at the salary-cap implications down the road of signing Lin to this particular deal. Maybe they have taken all the giddy emotion of Linsanity out of the equation and decided that the financials of the deal make no sense to them, no matter how big a story Lin became when he was like a shooting star across the city and the sport and, briefly, the whole sporting landscape in this country.

When suddenly his talent was supposed to be the same size as his story.

“I think the kid was great,” Larry Brown said to me about Lin a week or so ago. “It is a wonderful story. But I look at him as a terrific backup in the NBA. I may be wrong, I really want him to be successful, but I think if you overpay him for the interest that he created, that’s not the best thing.”

Brown does like Jeremy Lin, everybody likes Lin, how can you not like the way he came off the bench the way he did and became this kind of star, across the 25 games he started before he got hurt against the Detroit Pistons? Nobody is rooting against Lin, and nobody is saying he can’t help the Knicks get better next season.

It is still a fact that when he flourished, it was in Mike D’Antoni’s system, not Mike Woodson’s. He flourished when both Amar’e and Carmelo were sidelined with injuries. And may never flourish in a system that begins and ends — it just does — with the ball going to Carmelo Anthony. It’s one of the reasons why I’ve been wondering if Lin might not be better off if the Knicks don’t match the Rockets’ rather insane offer sheet, a $25 million offer sheet to a guy they cut not too long ago.

Lin was effective when he had the ball. A lot. He had it a lot in February especially because the Knicks were desperate. Remember what they looked like, and not just in the standings, when they did play that game against the Nets the day before the Super Bowl. They were going nowhere, and D’Antoni, who would resign later, was going to get fired. Lin got a chance and it was like one of those old Broadway musicals, like “42nd Street,” where the kid comes out of the chorus and becomes a star.

Only this time the show was “33rd Street,” and boy was it fun to watch, and the world went mad for Jeremy Lin.

Maybe the Knicks are still mad for him when the smoke clears. Maybe this was all smoke and mirrors on Saturday night and he still ends up with the Knicks. Maybe they do end up making a business decision that only partly has to do with the business of basketball, which would also be a little bit nuts for a basketball team backed by Cablevision.

Twenty-five starts for Jeremy Lin, now worth $25 million to the Rockets. Doesn’t mean he’s automatically worth that much to the New York Knicks.

-- Mike Lupica
    I'm definitely intrigued by what this does in the short term (because I'm not yet delusional enough to believe it will eventually end with Paul playing for the Knicks). Lupica is right - Felton was doing a nice job in New York before he was traded, and maybe he's a guy who can help Stoudemire and Chandler score more effectively than Lin did. And if it puts them in a position to bid for Paul...

Also very happy the Knicks let Landry Fields go to Toronto. Glen Grunwald is my hero.
    Last edited by stuporfly; 07-15-2012 at 05:45 AM.

I still prefer Knicks over Nets, but letting go of Fields, really?

Fields was a shooting guard who couldn't shoot. Good guy, but he wasn't doing anything in New York.

Look at who he was playing along side with - how many shots could he get up per game?

Suns get Scola, and finally amnestied Childress.

SF Beasley
    PF Scola
    C Gortat

I dig the front court. I'd like to see them go after Mayo now.
    Last edited by Mr. Dylanja; 07-15-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Just feels like the Suns are building a competitive non-playoff team. Can't blame them too much since there's nothing really out there but I would rather see Kieff get the chance to start next year rather than having Scola and re-sign Shannon Brown for something reasonable instead of overpaying OJ Mayo.