Page 10 of 570 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: It's NBA time

Default Re: It's NBA time

Actually, saw it again, no draft pick. And my Sonics traded Kurt Thomas away, eh. It's hard to care right now. Draft picks = hope, I guess.

Kurt Thomas spent half a season with the Sonics and got them three draft picks. Two from the Suns to take him and one from the Spurs to trade him.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Kurt Thomas spent half a season with the Sonics and got them three draft picks. Two from the Suns to take him and one from the Spurs to trade him.
    They should retire his number in Seattle/OKC. What a haul!

And it is easy to see what happened to Diaw. In his breakout season, Amare wasn't able to play, he was in a contract year, and he was trying to prove that he could play in the NBA.
    For your health

I thought that shaq actually had kind of a good game, especially for his debut against one of the toughest teams in the west (there are 8 teams that are the toughest teams in the west). He started out slow, but you cant argue with 15 pts 9 reb 3ast. I expect those are going to be shaqs average for the rest of the season.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

And what is not in those stats is how much he opened things up for Amare. He is going to be a monster with Shaq helping out now.

I guess the Suns are hot for Quinton Ross to fill in for Marion's defense. He would be a solid pickup.
    For your health

How's the salary cap work for NBA I am more familiar with NHL, but how would the Suns be within cap space if they signed Artest.... They would only have to pay him a percentage of his money because the season is half over right?

Edit:
    (I just looked it up and there are so many exceptions to the salary cap.... since it is a "soft cap")
    Also I guess some teams just pay the luxury tax...?
    Last edited by traviscanada; 02-21-2008 at 10:39 AM.
    I can sleep in till noon anytime I want
    Though there's not many days that I do
    Gotta get up and take on that world
    When your an adult it's no cliche it's the truth

Quote Originally Posted by traviscanada View Post
    How's the salary cap work for NBA I am more familiar with NHL, but how would the Suns be within cap space if they signed Artest.... They would only have to pay him a percentage of his money because the season is half over right?

Edit:
    (I just looked it up and there are so many exceptions to the salary cap.... since it is a "soft cap")
    Also I guess some teams just pay the luxury tax...?

The Knicks payroll being the prime example of that..^

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Cavs just picked up Ben Wallace, Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West, and Joe Smith... I still don't think Lebron is happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Supre doesnt know since he's usually in the bathroom going away at the glory hole.Noms Nom nom noms oooooo i'm taking a picture of that beast....****snap*** back to yum yums nom nom noms

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Cavs just picked up Ben Wallace, Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West, and Joe Smith... I still don't think Lebron is happy.
    I can't wait for the trade deadline to get here.

The trade deadline was 1 pm (AZ time) this afternoon. So 6.5 hours ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Guess I'm a little late for all the discussion but some good points were made. If Diaw would stay aggressive, it would open up the floor so much more for the Suns. Everyone expects him to pass now...so eveyone stays home on the shooters.

I was secretly refreshing all day, hoping to find a headline that read "Phoenix gets Artest" or "Cassell, Ross to Phoenix." But its cool...

Shaq and Amare best 4/5 combo in the league? Give it some time. Does it translate to a championship? Without a tall, long stopper on the wings, I'm a little worried.

However I enjoyed lasts night game. I enjoyed the energy and passion the Suns played with. That aspect had been missing all year long. I'm glad I can root for a team that plays hard.
    “We've spent so much time judging what other people created that we've created very, very little of our own.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Haha, not exactly an upgrade. I'm thinking that the Cavs' brass just freaked out a bit too much on the demands.

That, or not many players want to play in Cleveland.

I cant' wait for the trade deadline to get here.
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

As a life long Bulls fan and native son of Chicago, I think I'm one of the most qualified on the board to say good riddance to Ben Wallace. Larry Hughes and Drew Gooden, while nothing to be bursting with excitement about, are a marked improvement over that guy.

In fact, as long as we didn't get another disgruntled, declining, has been in his 30s, it would have been an improvement. The guy was going to make $30 million the next two years, and he was averaging like 5 points and 9 rebounds. Also, he was taking minutes from Joakim Noah and Tyrus Thomas and he even organized a vote once to suspen Noah for an extra game after he mouthed off at a coach. This from a guy who has had problems with almost every coach he has ever played with.

Good luck with all that Lebron.

Big Ben did seem like a moody f**K. Hopefully it works out for the Cavs, Leborn James is one of those players that is a must see.

Now please to a real discussion....

what is your opinion of Drew Gooden's beard?

It looks like shrubbery growing from his chin.
    “We've spent so much time judging what other people created that we've created very, very little of our own.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

i was at the suns-celtics game tonight. the suns won. I am happy. the calls were mostly fair tonight, I guess, though a bit puzzling here and there.

but I'll be god damned if I can understand David "Tim Duncan" Stern's vision of what NBA basketball should look like. I mean, in theory, a foul is either a foul or it isn't, right? apparently not. In Stern's world a foul is one thing one minute and another thing another minute, depending on (1) when the game is played (2) who is playing and (3) who commits the 'foul'. Eastern Conference basketball is this brutal sludgeball where getting popped in the nose while driving the lane is only a foul depending on your salary level. In the West they seem to let them play a little more in the regular season, until playoff time, in which case you could take a machete to a guy driving the lane and it's not a foul, but if you accidentally brush the fourth hair on a guys wrist on the perimeter, you're getting nailed for 2 shots and don't talk talk asshole or you'll get T'd up.

I know there's star rules in every sport. I know holding can be called on almost every NFL play, i know balls and strikes can depend on the importance of the batter. But none of it seems as arbitrary, as capricious, as downright manipulative as in the NBA. When I am King, David Stern is first in line for being drawn and quartered, just ahead of Dick Rumsfeld, Don Henley, and the cast of 'Wicked'.

i was at the suns-celtics game tonight. the suns won. I am happy. the calls were mostly fair tonight, I guess, though a bit puzzling here and there.

but I'll be god damned if I can understand David "Tim Duncan" Stern's vision of what NBA basketball should look like. I mean, in theory, a foul is either a foul or it isn't, right? apparently not. In Stern's world a foul is one thing one minute and another thing another minute, depending on (1) when the game is played (2) who is playing and (3) who commits the 'foul'. Eastern Conference basketball is this brutal sludgeball where getting popped in the nose while driving the lane is only a foul depending on your salary level. In the West they seem to let them play a little more in the regular season, until playoff time, in which case you could take a machete to a guy driving the lane and it's not a foul, but if you accidentally brush the fourth hair on a guys wrist on the perimeter, you're getting nailed for 2 shots and don't talk talk asshole or you'll get T'd up.

I know there's star rules in every sport. I know holding can be called on almost every NFL play, i know balls and strikes can depend on the importance of the batter. But none of it seems as arbitrary, as capricious, as downright manipulative as in the NBA. When I am King, David Stern is first in line for being drawn and quartered, just ahead of Dick Rumsfeld, Don Henley, and the cast of 'Wicked'.

Interesting rant, but i DO think that calling fouls in the NBA is one of the most difficult things in all sports. It's such a one v. one competition and when you have two big bodies bangin' against each other in the paint, how do you determine unfair advantages? The perimeter is pretty simple when a player is isolated and hands are flailing about, but when your driving the lane with the ball in one hand and your free arm creating space it can become tricky..

For the most part, i do think that the refs are (at least) trying to maintain a flow to a game. But sometimes, (mainly because I gamble on occasion), I think they rely on a team's past tendencies or reputations a little too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ZackQ View Post
    As a life long Bulls fan and native son of Chicago, I think I'm one of the most qualified on the board to say good riddance to Ben Wallace. Larry Hughes and Drew Gooden, while nothing to be bursting with excitement about, are a marked improvement over that guy.

In fact, as long as we didn't get another disgruntled, declining, has been in his 30s, it would have been an improvement. The guy was going to make $30 million the next two years, and he was averaging like 5 points and 9 rebounds. Also, he was taking minutes from Joakim Noah and Tyrus Thomas and he even organized a vote once to suspen Noah for an extra game after he mouthed off at a coach. This from a guy who has had problems with almost every coach he has ever played with.

Good luck with all that Lebron.
    Agreed, Very, VERY, happy to see Ben gone, too. The man was a defensive beast before he arrived in Chicago, but his age finally caught up to him. He still has some juice left in the tank, but he still plays defense like he can guard two people at once, which he use to be able to, but is too slow to NOW.

The guy who I was very sad to leave was Joe Smith, that guy has worked himself back into a very decent player.

I like the Bulls bringing in Gooden. Now Hinrich and him can play together like the college days. And I have a hunch the Bulls might waive Larry Hughes (although, im not sure of any contending teams looking for a SG that cant shoot too well.)

As for the big win tonight. I was waiting for a performance like this all season. I realize Denver doesnt play defense at all, but damn, it was like the bulls were playing for their lives tonight. Outstanding and much welcomed energetic performances from Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah, were a great surprise. I think we just need to give these guys more playing time and they really are gonna turn into something great. Same can be said for Sefolosha (who's been very solid as of late).

The Bull's are so deep and talented, that if they could organize themselves properly, they can beat any team on any given night.

PS: Still hoping for a playoff spot!

PSS: Now that Ben Wallace is gone, teams cant just let "the man down low" go free and double team Gordon. Hence, the 37 point effort tonight.
    Last edited by Bosco; 02-23-2008 at 12:06 AM.
    ass on the grill

Definitely agree with this rant. I understand that contact sports are simply downright hard to officiate but c'mon the consistency of NBA refs is horrid. In my years as an NBA fan (since the late 80's) I have seen stars start to receive more and more preferential treatment to the point where they're are playing their own game (Heat/Mavs finals, namely Wade). I remember last years Suns/Spurs playoffs where one game Nash couldn't get a call. Bowen had his hands all over him the whole game. Not until late did the refs start to blow their whistle on him. Now I don't mind them not calling it (it is a rule though that you can't put your hands on the dribbler) but to start calling it late in the game just shows how terribly inconsistent refs can be. I wish they'd figure it out. The level of refereeing in the NBA is ridiculous compared to other sports.
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

Quote Originally Posted by gmoneyak View Post
    Interesting rant, but i DO think that calling fouls in the NBA is one of the most difficult things in all sports.
    I have a friend who officiates Pac 10 basketball. He says he doesn't understand the NBA either.

WOW.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

WTF happened to the Suns today? I tuned in with 8 minutes left in the game and saw they were down by 29. AT HOME. WTF?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I like the Coachella package they sent out this year. we now all have a snail.....cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    In 12 more years, that snail will be nice and ready for you to fuck it.

I think it just proves that you stiil can't sleep on Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    WTF happened to the Suns today? I tuned in with 8 minutes left in the game and saw they were down by 29. AT HOME. WTF?!?
    You thought Shaq was actually gonna make that big of a difference or something?

Hey, who is leading the Pacific division? Oh yeah, the LOS ANGELES LAKERS.

Actually, I don't really follow the NBA till the postseason. I've paid some attention lately because of how many high profile trades there've been recently. Regardless of Shaq's inclusion, I thought Phoenix was too good a team to lose to anybody by 30 points.
    Start bragging about the Lakers when they actually make it past the Suns in the playoffs. Anything in the regular season ultimately doesn't mean shit -- ask last year's Mavericks about that.
    I like the Coachella package they sent out this year. we now all have a snail.....cr****

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    You thought Shaq was actually gonna make that big of a difference or something?

Hey, who is leading the Pacific division? Oh yeah, the LOS ANGELES LAKERS.
    Typical Lakers fan. Silent until they are frontrunners.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Typical Lakers fan. Silent until they are frontrunners.
    Ok Rocke, thanks for the support, you do live here too ya know. And Im saying it cause the one thing the AZ people on this board can get behind is The suns, cause thats all they got. Now that L.A. is back with a vengeance, its goign to get interesting. I always stood by the Lakers, its just a matter of when I talk about it. I miss seeing games at The Forum back in the day, that was fun, especially a playoff game there.

Ya, that game with Phoenix today was pathetic.... Go Raptors!
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Ok Rocke, thanks for the support, you do live here too ya know. And Im saying it cause the one thing the AZ people on this board can get behind is The suns, cause thats all they got. Now that L.A. is back with a vengeance, its goign to get interesting. I always stood by the Lakers, its just a matter of when I talk about it. I miss seeing games at The Forum back in the day, that was fun, especially a playoff game there.
    The Suns aren't all the people in Arizona have to get behind. You mean in the NBA or in sports, period? 'Cause while this year's been rough for the U of A basketball team, we've got the longest running streak of consecutive NCAA tournament appearances and we've won a national title more recently than either UCLA or USC (whichever one you happen to support). If we sweep the Los Angeles schools this week (which will be tough because UCLA's had our number since Ben Howland took over, especially since we're still shorthanded) we'll be on our way to another 20-win season, lengthening what is also the longest current streak in the nation. So yeah, don't lump in the entire state when discussing the Suns because while they're the most notable professional team in the state (unless you want to count the Diamondbacks World Series win a few years back and their appearance in the NLCS last year, both of which have occurred more recently than any of the Dodgers' successes), they're not the only game in town.

Supre is right in a way. The only sports team that Arizona is consistently behind is the Suns. I believe the other teams are all too new to the area. The Suns were an institution 20 years before we got a 2nd professional team. Couple that with the large number of transplants, and Phoenix just does not have the greatest of fanbases.
    For your health