Page 6 of 586 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: It's NBA time

Default Re: It's NBA time

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    Fuck you. I have been a Jazz fan since 1989, srsly, thats 18 years of my life. It's the only professional sports team Utah has had in my entire life and therefore I am passionate about them.

Oh and JJ 4 LYFE YO.
    Come on now. I am a big fan of the Suns, but I can be objective. At least I think I can be. Passion does not necessarily have to cloud rationality.

On a side note, the power of avatars really shines through. It only took about 2 weeks for me to seriously think you are a JJ fan because of your avatar.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Come on now. I am a big fan of the Suns, but I can be objective. At least I think I can be. Passion does not necessarily have to cloud rationality.

On a side note, the power of avatars really shines through. It only took about 2 weeks for me to seriously think you are a JJ fan because of your avatar.
    So you think it's irrational to think the Jazz are one of the top teams in the west and that they are going to beat the Suns next game they play...how so?

and dude, I fucking hate Jack Johnson. My avatar is a joke. In fact, I think the joke is worn out.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

the Shaq deal is now official. unless Marion flunks his physical, which ain't gonna happen. Shaq will be at the game tonight (not in the lineup, in a suite).

So you think it's irrational to think the Jazz are one of the top teams in the west and that they are going to beat the Suns next game they play...how so?

and dude, I fucking hate Jack Johnson. My avatar is a joke. In fact, I think the joke is worn out.
    I don't disagree with the Jazz being a top flight team in the West. They were good last year and they are good again this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they knock the Suns out of the playoffs if they were to meet this year.

The way you talk about them though, I don't know. Very fanboy-esque at time. I do disagree with your assessment that they are head and shoulders above most of the other teams and that Deron Williams is better than Jesus. And Chris Paul. I don't know where all of this disrespect for your team is coming from. Any NBA fan knows they are good and they will have to be reckoned with in the playoffs. If you want more attention for the team, it is going to be hard to get when they start off so poorly and there are tons of other huge stories out there. When the trade deadline passes and the teams are locked in, I guarantee you they will be a bigger story.

I know you hate Jack Johnson. I remember when you put it up as your avatar. As with everyone's avatar, I just started thinking that you either are a fan of what is in the avatar or that you look like that. That's what I meant.
    For your health

I don't disagree with the Jazz being a top flight team in the West. They were good last year and they are good again this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they knock the Suns out of the playoffs if they were to meet this year.

The way you talk about them though, I don't know. Very fanboy-esque at time. I do disagree with your assessment that they are head and shoulders above most of the other teams and that Deron Williams is better than Jesus. And Chris Paul. I don't know where all of this disrespect for your team is coming from. Any NBA fan knows they are good and they will have to be reckoned with in the playoffs. If you want more attention for the team, it is going to be hard to get when they start off so poorly and there are tons of other huge stories out there. When the trade deadline passes and the teams are locked in, I guarantee you they will be a bigger story.
    I just get frustrated because I dont think the Jazz get enough, if any, respect from anyone (e.g. Tom, and every single sports analyst). However, I agree that may change once the teams are locked in. Also, Steve Nash>Deron Williams>Chris Paul. Every time the Jazz have faced the Hornets since Williams and Paul were drafted Williams has shut Paul down and the Jazz are up on the Hornets 7-2 since the 2005 draft.
    Last edited by kreutz2112; 02-06-2008 at 03:52 PM.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Chris, Barkley adjusted his offense, got into shape, and helped the team have the best record in the league that year. Despite having injuries (and lots of legal trouble) in the past. Oh, and the Lakers weren't ever able to beat the Jordon/Pippen Chicago Bulls in the finals either.

How old was Barkley when he joined the team? 29, 30? This is Shaq at 35 we are talking about ok? And you want to talk about the Lakers without Riley coaching them and making it to the finals, against Jackson and the Bulls? Come on. At least they were good enough to make it to the finals or deep into the playoffs on a cinsistant basis in that time period. I still dont see a banner hanging in that Suns arena ya know.

I just get frustrated because I dont think the Jazz get enough, if any, respect from anyone (e.g. Tom, and every single sports analyst). However, I agree that may change once the teams are locked in. Also, Steve Nash>Deron Williams>Chris Paul. Every time the Jazz have faced the Hornets since Williams and Paul were drafted Williams has shut Paul down and the Jazz are up on the Hornets 7-2 since the 2005 draft.
    I gotta worry about the Spurs, Mavericks, Lakers, and now the fucking Hornets. New Orleans. they don't play basketball in New Orleans, do they? so no the Jazz are not on my radar screen.

Which reminds me: New Orleans and Utah should trade team names. Real jazz requires black people, skill, and soul, none of which exist in Utah. Utah is, however, the Beehive State (those mormons! busy as a bee! get it?) and a Hornet is sort of like a bee, only it doesn't die when it stings you.

edit: yes I remember when it was the New Orleans Jazz.
    Last edited by TomAz; 02-06-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

The Suns should have traded Amare for KG this summer.

That said, they did have to do something. Amare and Marion don't like each other - too much alpha in the former, too much shoulder chip in the latter - so one of them had to go. They're apparently infatuated with Amare, so they had to find a reason to move him to the 4. Plus, Shaq's ability to rally teammates is uncanny. I think having him around, working him in large numbers against guys like Duncan and Yao but mostly letting him be the new mayor of Phoenix, will have an intangible effect on the Suns locker room. One thing's for sure: Boris Diaw needs to get it together and start bringing it.

I think this move is surprising, a bit of a knee jerk (seems they're scared of Pau-be out in LA), but it's exciting if nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Dude, respect in sports is waaaaaay overrated. Look no further back than Sunday for proof that being underdogs is a good position to be in.

I like the Jazz. I never thought I would say those words in the Kaaahl Malone era, but they field a pretty sick team. I love the shit out of Kirilenko.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Diaw has actually played pretty well the past 2 or 3 weeks. maybe his year-and-a-half long funk is over.

In all fairness, the Hornets were a mess of a team before Paul got there. They were injured last year, so I don't think that 7-2 is a good barometer. However, you are correct in saying Deron has done very well against Paul in the head to head.

I think the Jazz would have been a a pretty big story right now if they didn't start off 15-15 or whatever they were. Most teams are getting lost in the shuffle story-wise to the trades that have come through this past year (Celtics obviously, Lakers, Suns, etc). The fact that the West is so tight also isn't helping distinguish teams, either.

Like I said, the Jazz will be trouble come playoff time. While I don't think they will be coming out of the West by any means, I doubt anyone wants to play them. It will be around March and April when they will start getting the acclaim they deserve.
    For your health

The Suns really should have done that Marion-Kirilienko deal. I am worried what this trade means to the Suns' style of play. I will say that I am quite intrigued as to how they will look in a month or so, though.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    The Suns should have traded Amare for KG this summer.
    I absolutely positively agree with this statement. I said it at the time. Amare plays lousy D and makes too many stupid fouls. If we had a KG-Marion-Nash-Hill/Diaw-Bell lineup then today's trade doesn't have to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I gotta worry about the Spurs, Mavericks, Lakers, and now the fucking Hornets. New Orleans. they don't play basketball in New Orleans, do they? so no the Jazz are not on my radar screen.

Which reminds me: New Orleans and Utah should trade team names. Real jazz requires black people, skill, and soul, none of which exist in Utah. Utah is, however, the Beehive State (those mormons! busy as a bee! get it?) and a Hornet is sort of like a bee, only it doesn't die when it stings you.

edit: yes I remember when it was the New Orleans Jazz.
    I think it is very naive to not worry about the Jazz. Good point on the name change. The Jazz were moved from New Orleans in 1979. We have a minor league baseball team called The Bees.
    Last edited by kreutz2112; 02-06-2008 at 04:13 PM.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Dude, respect in sports is waaaaaay overrated. Look no further back than Sunday for proof that being underdogs is a good position to be in.

I like the Jazz. I never thought I would say those words in the Kaaahl Malone era, but they field a pretty sick team. I love the shit out of Kirilenko.
    Yeah good point.

In all fairness, the Hornets were a mess of a team before Paul got there. They were injured last year, so I don't think that 7-2 is a good barometer. However, you are correct in saying Deron has done very well against Paul in the head to head.

I think the Jazz would have been a a pretty big story right now if they didn't start off 15-15 or whatever they were. Most teams are getting lost in the shuffle story-wise to the trades that have come through this past year (Celtics obviously, Lakers, Suns, etc). The fact that the West is so tight also isn't helping distinguish teams, either.

Like I said, the Jazz will be trouble come playoff time. While I don't think they will be coming out of the West by any means, I doubt anyone wants to play them. It will be around March and April when they will start getting the acclaim they deserve.
    Also good point.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

I am worried what this trade means to the Suns' style of play. I will say that I am quite intrigued as to how they will look in a month or so, though.
    They had to do something to shake things up and Marion had been unhappy for awhile. Shaq does seem like an odd fit for the team that likes to run the most in the league. Still I heard Shaq called Nash and said "I won't let you down". The West is heating up
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

The Lakers lost to the Hawks. HA!
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

I'm conflicted about Shaq being a Sun. While I want them to win a championship and think their window of opportunity is closing soon, I've hated Shaq since his sophomore year at LSU. I have NEVER rooted for any team he has been a part of. Even when he was on the US Olympic team, I think I pretty much just ignored whatever they accomplished 'cause I can't stand him. So to be in this position where I may have to root for the Suns to lose in the play-offs is very uncomfortable. Gah!
    In his defense I do remember there being an upsurge of black coworker on white coworker exlaxings in LA after Rodney King.

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

The Lakers lost to the Hawks. HA!
    damn, JJ, watching that game...

<Curses my time zone delay>

67 Lakers 64 Jazz right now

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    I'm conflicted about Shaq being a Sun. While I want them to win a championship and think their window of opportunity is closing soon, I've hated Shaq since his sophomore year at LSU. Gah!
    Always liked the big goofy fella, and his nic names like Big Aristotle. Maybe he'll win you over or maybe you'll hate him worse for having to see him every time you watch your team. I could never stand Malone with the Jazz thought he was cheap, dirty and dopey. Once Malone joined the Lakers, then my opinion did a 180, and I dug him as the PF answer to our prayers. Really don't see Shaq with a team that tries to always push the tempo but...
    Last edited by Hawkings; 02-06-2008 at 07:16 PM.
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

This is what you call an overreaction to the Pau Gasol trade. I think Shaq is great, but this is a terrible trade. He is no longer dominant and I just don't see how he will mesh on the floor. Off the court and in the locker room, he'll be a great asset. But man, Kerr screwed the pooch on this one. I am hoping someone can quote me in 4 months and laugh at how wrong I am in saying this, but I am very skeptical.
    Shaq doesn't need to be the most dominant player of ever to win this time. Nash and Amare and Barbosa, etc mean he's going to have a good team around him that works well together.

Plus:

They're apparently infatuated with Amare, so they had to find a reason to move him to the 4.
    Amare not having to bang around against players like Shaq will open him up like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    I'm conflicted about Shaq being a Sun. While I want them to win a championship and think their window of opportunity is closing soon, I've hated Shaq since his sophomore year at LSU. I have NEVER rooted for any team he has been a part of. Even when he was on the US Olympic team, I think I pretty much just ignored whatever they accomplished 'cause I can't stand him. So to be in this position where I may have to root for the Suns to lose in the play-offs is very uncomfortable. Gah!
    I liked Shaq back at LSU but I liked Roberts more. Hahaha. He never managed to do much in the pros.

Sorry, I got distracted. I've been rooting against Shaq on the Lakers and Heat for so long and with such intensity that... yeah, it'll be a weird adjustment.

But. The. Suns. Have. Never. Ever. Had. A. Real. Center.

They lost the flip for Kareem (when he counted as a real center) and have never gotten anybody remarkable in that 5 spot.

So I'm, well, hesitantly approving. It's real weird but, hey, maybe I can like it?
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

i cant believe the city of miami is happy letting go of shaq.....our fans or so disloyal....miami officially sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I liked Shaq back at LSU but I liked Roberts more. Hahaha. He never managed to do much in the pros.

Sorry, I got distracted. I've been rooting against Shaq on the Lakers and Heat for so long and with such intensity that... yeah, it'll be a weird adjustment.

They lost the flip for Kareem (when he counted as a real center) and have never gotten anybody remarkable in that 5 spot.

So I'm, well, hesitantly approving. It's real weird but, hey, maybe I can like it?

Obviously, you are forgetting that we had Mark West for all of those years.
    For your health

Obviously, you are forgetting that we had Mark West for all of those years.
    Haha. 10 pts, 10 boards and 3 blocks a game from a 6' 10" guy... that should be memorable why?
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Haha. 10 pts, 10 boards and 3 blocks a game from a 6' 10" guy... that should be memorable why?
    It's not. But the fact he averaged 5.7 pts and 4.9 boards for his career is quite memorable. Now that is what I call domination!
    For your health

I like this Shaq trade. It seems like a strange idea from the Suns perspective at first, but they need a change, and Marion clearly did not want to be there anymore. Also, D'antoni only plays seven players, and Nash, Bell, Barbosa, Hill, Diaw, Stoudemire, and O'Neal is a pretty intimidating group of players. It makes their lineup a little more versatile, too, because Marion is not an entirely different kind of player from Hill or Diaw, whereas they don't have anyone like Shaq.

Utah is a very good team, but there are a lot of good teams in the West, and to me, the only elite teams are San Antonio, Phoenix, and possibly the Lakers. I don't see why anyone would think that Dallas will do anything, unless they end up trading for Jason Kidd.

I'm back to parade my boy Paul tonight, I'm sorry but Deron Williams isn't putting up this kind of line:

42 pts - 9ast - 5 reb - 8 stl - 1 TO ...50 minutes... ridiculous

I'm still starting him in the Western All-Star Game..

I hate the Shaq trade. If Marion really wanted out of Phoenix, (for whatever reason), the Nuggets had Camby on the table. That's the move I would've jumped on. Shaq at this point of his career is just one notch higher than a space-eater at best. I'm not liking his defensive game, and I think he's going to slow Phoenix' running attack.

And...Fuck.. I guess Korver was the answer for the Jazz after all. They're gunning for that 2 seed now.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Is it safe to say that if this trade ends up demolishing the Suns chances in the playoffs that Steve Kerr will be back on TNT as an analyst next season?
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Haha..
    He should bump Van Gundy's ass out of the booth, that dude is horrrrible.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Quote Originally Posted by gmoneyak View Post
    Haha..
    He should bump Van Gundy's ass out of the booth, that dude is horrrrible.
    Yeah, I can't fucking stand Van Gundy
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.