Page 573 of 586 FirstFirst ... 568569570571572573574575576577578 ... LastLast
Results 17,161 to 17,190 of 17571

Thread: It's NBA time

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Default Re: It's NBA time

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    It isn't as much as siding with Sterling as it is protecting themselves. Yeah they might all want him gone but what does it mean for the rest of the owners going forward? What is the limit of them being an ass hat before they get voted out? What other actions could they possibly do that could turn into a vote like this? Assuming they are going to vote him out, which they should, opens up a can of worms.
    no.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

It isn't as much as siding with Sterling as it is protecting themselves. Yeah they might all want him gone but what does it mean for the rest of the owners going forward? What is the limit of them being an ass hat before they get voted out? What other actions could they possibly do that could turn into a vote like this? Assuming they are going to vote him out, which they should, opens up a can of worms.
    There is no way silver would have proposed the move to sell unless he had the owners votes to back him up. In the press conference, Silver said he hadn't specifically polled the owners support but I am sure he would not make a move that would end up embarrassing the league later. He does work for the owners...

The NBA business model is extremely dependent on trust and cooperation and partnership between (mostly) white owners and (mostly) african-american players, and a very diverse fan base. Refusing to take a stand against Sterling by voting him out would be incredibly bad business thinking. Yes, if I were an owner, I would be worried about precedent and slippery slope and "where are the limits" and all that. But in the end, preserving the business model trumps those concerns.

edit: and I agree with what Buddha said, there is no way Silver goes public with this unless he's already got the votes. It's a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The NBA business model is extremely dependent on trust and cooperation and partnership between (mostly) white owners and (mostly) african-american players, and a very diverse fan base. Refusing to take a stand against Sterling by voting him out would be incredibly bad business thinking. Yes, if I were an owner, I would be worried about precedent and slippery slope and "where are the limits" and all that. But in the end, preserving the business model trumps those concerns.

edit: and I agree with what Buddha said, there is no way Silver goes public with this unless he's already got the votes. It's a done deal.

The writing is/was clearly on the wall. Three owners gave statements earlier today condemning Sterling's comments even before Silver made the announcement. That demonstrates to me that there was overwhelming support for Silver's actions and for Silver himself as he got them to back him in a preemptive strike. Plus, most of these owners have always wanted Sterling gone anyway, which made it that much easier.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

My only question now, and this is not in defense of this bigot, does he have any constitutional rights in being the owner of a buisness and is being forced to sell HIS franchise? ...lawyers out there, anyone?

My emotions overtook today's announcement but I have a feeling this could be a long dragout in court
    Papi Piratón!

Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    My only question now, and this is not in defense of this bigot, does he have any constitutional rights in being the owner of a buisness and is being forced to sell HIS franchise? ...lawyers out there, anyone?
    fuck no. he doesn't own the business. the nba is the business. he owns a frankchise. like the del taco down the street from your house. make del taco look bad, you best believe they'd forfeit your ownership of that franchise.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

The legal issues will largely be ones of contract and antitrust law. His rights and obligations with respect to how he runs his franchise are governed by league rules and contracts; similarly, the league's ability to punish him may be limited by the same.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I'm no lawyer but I know that the NBA is governed by its own by-laws and that give them the right to regulate their league and any participant in the league, be it an owner or a player. Sterling has first amendment right to speak his mind, but the league has a right to protect itself from the damage his comments have caused.

a few things:

All 29 owners have issued statements supporting Silver's decision:

http://espn.go.com/nba/theten

Q: Is it possible for Silver and the NBA to terminate Sterling's franchise ownership?

A: Yes. Under the terms of Paragraph 13 of the constitution, the owners can terminate another owner's franchise with a vote of three-fourths of the NBA Board of Governors, which is composed of all 30 owners. The power to terminate is limited to things like gambling and fraud in the application for ownership, but it also includes a provision for termination when an owner "fails to fulfill" a "contractual obligation" in "such a way as to affect the [NBA] or its members adversely." Silver and the owners could assert that Sterling's statements violated the constitution's requirements to conduct business on a "reasonable" and "ethical" level.

Q: Sterling is notoriously litigious. Can he go to court to stop Silver from punishing him?

A: Not effectively. When Silver issues his punishment to Sterling, the decision is final. The constitution provides in Paragraph 24(m) that a commissioner's decision shall be "final, binding, and conclusive" and shall be as final as an award of arbitration. It is almost impossible to find a judge in the United States judicial system who would set aside an award of arbitration. Sterling can file a lawsuit, but he would face a humiliating defeat early in the process. There is no antitrust theory or principle that would help him against Silver and the NBA. He could claim an antitrust violation, for example, if he were trying to move his team to a different market. But under the terms of the NBA constitution, he has no chance to succeed in litigation over punishment.

constitution = NBA constitution.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...onald-sterling

Thanks guys, this clears up more than listening to the AM radio
    Papi Piratón!

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    The legal issues will largely be ones of contract and antitrust law. His rights and obligations with respect to how he runs his franchise are governed by league rules and contracts; similarly, the league's ability to punish him may be limited by the same.
    right. and the NBA "constitution" cited in others' posts would be incorporated (presumably by reference) into Sterling's contract with the NBA. He will have signed a document saying he agrees those are the rules.

God I hope he winds up having to sell it to Magic Johnson. That would be the best 'fuck you'.

puff daddy threw his name in too.

Could the sale of the Clippers to Magic and his investment group be vetoed because of ownership clause. I know kronke had problems with ownership of Avalanche and St Louis Rams. Could it be a quick sale to bypass this?

Magic and his investment group have a stake in the Dodgers?

If Magic does end up with the Clippers his first order of business should be to send Chris Paul to his rightful team, the Los Angeles Lakers.

"It's ok for me to say it. I own a black team."
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    If Magic does end up with the Clippers his first order of business should be to send Chris Paul to his rightful team, the Los Angeles Lakers.
    Conflict of interest, so that'd be counter-productive the whole winning and making money thing.

Keeping being jealous of us having CP3 on our team though!
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    fuck no. he doesn't own the business. the nba is the business. he owns a frankchise. like the del taco down the street from your house. make del taco look bad, you best believe they'd forfeit your ownership of that franchise.
    Not 100% correct. Sterling does own a business - Clippers LLC or whatever it is called. The NBA is not itself a for-profit corporation. The NBA is a trade association, of which the Clippers are a member. That trade association exists for the mutual benefit of its members - merchandising, revenue sharing, standardized player contracts, a group of other teams against whom to play games, etc. It has certain rules of membership and an authority (the commissioner) to apply and administer those rules. Part of the application of those rules is determining when a member can no longer be part of the association as a result of violating the rules.

Del Taco is different. It is a for-profit business. A Del Taco franchisee buys food and supplies from "big" Del Taco, pays a franchise fee to Del Taco and pays royalties to big Del Taco based on revenue. Del Taco keeps that money for distribution to its shareholders. It does not give it back to other franchisees.

We are one.

And hence forth that day was known as Adam Silver Day.

Frank Mccourt is really missing a prime trolling opportunity here.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Icing Durant, game ending shot by Ibaka ...WTF Joey Crawford!
    Papi Piratón!

Durant is close to a 90% free-throw shooter. He shouldn't have been "iced" like that. Weak excuse.

Icing Durant, game ending shot by Ibaka ...WTF Joey Crawford!
    When we watch NBA games, we pay to see Joey Crawford ref. Everything else is incidental.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

First Duck Dynasty now this cr***
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Lakers fans, I am sure, are thrilled:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...angeles-lakers
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

^ back to back great days in Los Angeles
    Papi Piratón!

Classy tweet, Magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.

Just returned from watching my beloved Raptors push KG closer to retirement.

The Raps made it closer than it needed to be...

... Fuck Brooklyn...

Magic needs to shut the fuck up, please Lakers make the right choice this time...I would love a complete rebuild with Ollie taking over but LA is all about dynasties

Hey Buddha, Heat in 5 next round
    Papi Piratón!

Is Antoni going to replace Coach K has the head coach of the Olympic team now? Dude gets promoted every time he loses a job. Also, Magic is getting douchier by the day. His ever expanding ego coupled with social media has been a recipe for disaster. First Bill Simmons, and now this.

More importantly, R.I.P. "Dr. Jack" Ramsay. I wasn't able to listen to him too much recently, other than occassionally on the radio during a drive, but damn he was great. He would break down the game to a basic fundamental level like few others could. His chief wisdom, and enthusiasm for the sport will be missed.