Page 517 of 586 FirstFirst ... 512513514515516517518519520521522 ... LastLast
Results 15,481 to 15,510 of 17571

Thread: It's NBA time

Default Re: It's NBA time

Take-aways from last night:

-Kobe is hurt, only played since it was opening night
    -Dwight is not 100%
    -Mike Brown's offensive plan looked terrible

Unfortunately, those aren't excuses. Those points will probably exist every game (atleast 1 & 3). Hopefully the team clicks, because last night was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    You really have to wonder if Brown is the right guy to coach a Steve Nash team.

As of last night, my opinion is that he is not the right guy. Brian Shaw probably laughed his ass off last night.

Agreed, the strategy of playing no defense, yet slowing down the pace considerably is a losing one.

Where were the Gasol / Howard pick and rolls?

Kobe was hurt and shouldn’t have been out there limping around with no strength to push off.

This free-throw thing got old real quick. We know what we were getting with Dwight, but 3-14 from the line is a joke.

Steve Blake is worthless.

Metta needs to get his groove back.

Jordan Hill and Antawn Jamison played well off each other and Jodie Meeks showed promise. For once, (with the exception of Blake), the bench doesn’t look like it will be a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    Mike Brown doesn't have an offensive plan. I actually point to his lack of offensive gamplanning (and, quite frankly, his lack of offensive knowledge) as one of the big reasons the Cavs folded in the playoffs with LeBron. The Cavs went from 45 to 66 wins after adding Mo Williams because they would just play street ball for 48 minutes and run people out of the gym. But, in the playoffs, the half-court game becomes more prevalent and Brown had an awful strategic approach. An offense never developed in the regular season, so Mo Williams was exposed and the Cavs kept choking.

That's why Brown brought in Eddie Jordan to run the Princeton offense. It's going to take time for that to come together, if it ever actually does. But even if they do become acclimated to the new system, Brown is still a mediocre coach and that team is pretty old. They'll still win a lot of games and battle for the top spot in the west, but that will be because of talent and not coaching.
    fuck.

Please just remember the prior to last night the starting 5 only played a half of a game together in the preseason. Also anyone one remember Miami's starting record of their big 3 that made it to the finals that same year? 9-8. I expect the Lakers to be around that same area. But I do agree with the Steve Nash comment though. You get a guy who made himself an all time great by running the ball and you don't run him? I understand the team isn't built around running but there still should be some. I'm hoping it;s just until Dwight and Kobe are healed because we would have been better off Saving the draft picks and money and resign Fisher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Where were the Gasol / Howard pick and rolls?
    Quote Originally Posted by espn.com
    Coach Mike Brown has insisted Nash has the authority to run the pick-and-roll whenever he wants. But like a quarterback who's reluctant to audible into an option play, Nash so far has refrained from going to his old standby at the expense of the development of the offense.

"Maybe I need to assert myself more in pick-and-roll situations," Nash said. "But ... I'm caught trying to get the ball moving in the Princeton, and get us into different sets and opportunities. And tonight we didn't do a good job getting into the Princeton and we didn't do a good job getting into the pick-and-roll. It's growing pains and it's a struggle, and we're out of sync and we're going to probably have more."
    in case you hadn't seen it

I'm still surprised the Lakers even hired Brown.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    in case you hadn't seen it
    Didn't see that. But it took fans about 9 minutes last night to start talking about how stupid the Princeton is with this team. And on the way home, every single caller shared the dump Mike Brown sentiment.

it was nice seeing the Lakers play in the regular season. Same as the pre-season. Nash got abused, again.

Unlike all the finesse of last night, tonight will be a bruiser. Clips/Grizz rematch from the playoffs. Violence.

Rondo and Garnett are such clowns. Glad Ray Allen took the high road.

I agree, and I think most Celtic fans agree that Rondo needs to grow up and stop with punk-ish antics on and off the court, especially now that he's been given the keys to the rig.

With KG, you have the most intense competitor in the league. There is a permanent chip on his shoulder and a never-ending stream of trash talk and profanity. At the end of the day I'm glad he's a Celtic.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.

Yeah, the KG thing was pretty much expected.

Dion Waiters went off.... good pick
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    I'm still surprised the Lakers even hired Brown.
    Pretty much this. I mean why Mike Brown of all people?

They looked so out of sync last night it was ridiculous. On multiple occasions the spacing was so bad that Nash and MWP were literally standing right next to each other. They need to get shit figured out ASAP and I hold Mike Brown completely responsible for making that happen.

yeah... Mike Brown was never a good coach... i could definitely see Lakers excelling and moving the ball around well under Flip Saunders.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Or Mike D'Antoni.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Yeah, the KG thing was pretty much expected.
    KG seems to do it against easy targets, and not against players who may actually retaliate.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    KG seems to do it against easy targets, and not against players who may actually retaliate.
    I've always thought KG was all bark and no bite.

So maybe the Suns weren't so stupid after all. From today's NY Times.

Hard to Tell Whose Contract Is Worse

By HARVEY ARATON

It has often been said, never more so than in the past few weeks, that Alex Rodriguez’s contract could be the most onerous individual deal ever struck by a professional sports team. But as we turn from the Yankees’ great power failure of October to the start of a new Knicks season in November, here comes Amar’e Stoudemire to give A-Rod a run for his supposedly unearned money.

Stoudemire will begin the season pretty much where Rodriguez finished his: on the bench, trying to ignore increasingly strident denunciations of him as a brittle and payroll-busting albatross. Stoudemire’s left knee, in which he recently sustained a ruptured cyst and which will now need to be surgically cleaned out, will sideline him for up to two months. And the long-term prognosis — it’s always something — does match Rodriguez’s continuing affliction.

In terms of sheer magnitude and organizational magnanimity, it seems like a reach to compare Stoudemire’s five-year, $100 million contract to Rodriguez’s 10-year, $275 million haul, which could reach around $300 million depending on since-discredited home run benchmarks. But factoring in a few apples-and-oranges variables does raise an intriguing question: How can A-Rod’s deal be the absolute worst when, within the same city, Stoudemire appears to be having a more deleterious effect on the Knicks’ ability to so much as sniff championship contention.

Let me say that I am not in the habit of blaming any athlete for what he or she negotiates and shall not begin here. But frustrated fans generally do not absolve the highest-paid players for their perceived failure to live up to their contracts, because it’s the performers who are the ones on stage, within earshot. Furthermore, it’s not as if Hank Steinbrenner or James L. Dolan are about to work the phone bank for season-ticket renewals.

But let’s be abundantly clear: nobody forced either franchise to commit to these now-regrettable deals. Unlike the Yankees in the case of Rodriguez, the Knicks can at least defend the Stoudemire signing by insisting they had no other workable option: in the summer of 2010, they were spurned by free agents more prized than Stoudemire, and this after a two-year roster purge and grand promises made to the long-suffering New York fan base that better times were directly ahead.

Stoudemire would have probably remained in Phoenix had it come close to the Knicks’ maximum offer to a player the Suns drafted out of high school and developed into an All-Star. He did, however, “embrace the city and the Knicks” — as Donnie Walsh, their former president, reminded me recently — when others wanted no part of the daunting challenges of New York.

“You don’t realize how hard he works, how much he does, just to keep his knees going,” Walsh said. “I had no idea he was that good a guy and, in a way, that’s what the most refreshing thing was.”

That impression, unfortunately, was based on the first one Stoudemire made on New York, when he was healthy and the hub of a revived and appealing young team. It is also the one Walsh apparently took with him upon leaving town after Stoudemire’s first season with the Knicks, only months after the acquisition of Carmelo Anthony dramatically altered the core conditions under which Stoudemire arrived. (That’s another debate, not the one we are having here.)

We have since seen a different Stoudemire, ailing and ornery after the shotgun marriage to Anthony. Few people believe Anthony and Stoudemire, given their disparate styles as front-line scorers, can successfully coexist, and fewer expect that Stoudemire’s knees will allow him the privilege of again being an elite player.

With three years remaining on his deal, Stoudemire is probably as untradeable as Rodriguez, at least until he approaches the final year and becomes a potential asset as an expiring contract in another team’s attempt to clear salary-cap space. And unless he soon reverses a pattern of decline, the nearly $20 million that he will earn this season will certainly limit the Knicks’ competitive prospects within an N.B.A. financial system that is more restrictive than baseball’s.

After a decade of fielding teams that were not only terrible but distinctly unlikable, the Knicks believed they were opening a multiyear window to contend with Anthony, Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler in the prime of their careers. But with reinforcements long past their best days now added to a team that has won one playoff game in the last two seasons, the argument could be made that within two to three years the Knicks will be back to where they started in the summer of 2010.

Though the Yankees have expressed a strong desire to avoid paying steep revenue-sharing taxes in the future, they might just put that objective aside if the continued and costly presence of Rodriguez forces them to keep their payroll above $200 million. Even if they do bring the payroll down to the $189 million limit they covet, they will still outspend most competitors, even if you exclude the huge sum being paid to A-Rod.

And no matter how bitter Rodriguez’s contract tastes, and assuming he stays to the end, he will always have 2009, when he finally seized the postseason spotlight and the Yankees broke an eight-year World Series title drought.

The Knicks, in sharp, damning contrast, will note the 40th anniversary of their last N.B.A. title next spring. That, ultimately, makes their expensive mistakes more injurious to the greater cause than those of the Yankees. The malady known as “it’s always something” is exceedingly worse when there is never a full postseason of relief from the pain.

Harden and Rockets agree on a 5 year 80 million dollar deal. Damn OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

And he's playing like that contract
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

regarding the James Harden jettison...

develop a league where the drafted player has to stay on same team forever. He either plays or is cut and immediately forced to retire. One year contracts only and everybody makes the same on court money. They would play harder than they ever have before, with more comradery, thus the level of basketball would be higher and the audience more engaged. Teams would have the annual option of drafting two players or not drafting any.

Added element is that the squads float around without a home base city. They may have a name, but don't belong to any particular geography. Just meet up in various courts and arenas around the world without territory representation. Fans could still have their favorite team, although it may be a while before you see them live in person. This, of course, would all be easier in space.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    East
    1. Heat
    2. Celtics
    3. Pacers
    4. Nets
    5. 76ers
    6. Knicks
    7. Bucks
    8. Hawks
    No Bulls?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

I hate time warner!

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    regarding the James Harden jettison...

Legalize slavery. In space.
    fixed

no, you don't have to play if you don't want to, so it isn't at all like slavery. Plus, they'd be making a boatload of money from the faithful. It would take sport to where it's always been sold to us as ("great team effort!").

Put if you prefer it to be run like the standard corporation, then go ahead stay happy with it. I just know that folk in OKC are going "WTF?" right now scratching their ass in disbelief.

lehorne, if you're serious, that's one of the worst ideas I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    No Bulls?
    I was wondering the same thing ?

your Mom had the worst idea ever. It involved you. And you have a shitty sig.