Page 484 of 584 FirstFirst ... 479480481482483484485486487488489 ... LastLast
Results 14,491 to 14,520 of 17515

Thread: It's NBA time

Default Re: It's NBA time

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    How many championships did we win during that four year golden age you speak of? I'm assuming one of the powerful team players you're speaking of is Smush Parker. Go check your timeline again and report back.
    Yeah pretty sure my timeline is off a little bit, basically I feel like the Lakers have a minute before they rebuild a team that is worthy of winning a championship.

NEVER SHOULD HAVE TRADED ARIZA.

In my opinion, if you're going to blow it up and start over, Bynum should get serious consideration as the main building block. Yes, he's a little bitch, but he's also a dominant center which is the most sought after position in the NBA. It's him and Howard. Not to mention he's seven years younger.

I'm not saying I would do it without question, but I would entertain the idea. Think of the trade value Kobe has and what you could get in return. Gasol too.

I'm pretty sure that Kobe has a no trade clause though, so it almost certainly would never happen.

If they traded Kobe and built around Bynum.... Just move the Lakers back to some midwest city and lets forget about them ever existing.

It's simple: upgrade that putrid bench, especially a reliable scorer playing behind Kobe.
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

And that'll last for how long, 3 years? Then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Porter View Post
    It's simple: upgrade that putrid bench, especially a reliable scorer playing behind Kobe.
    Simple in idea but certainly not in execution. Please tell me with what cap room they will be acquiring such a player?

If the lakers can move Gasol that would free up $19mill the next two years and will allow the Lakers to pick up Bynum's option for next year and work on a longer term contract or find a replacement either by draft, FA, or trade. I'm not familiar with his contract though and any no-trade clause.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    If the lakers can move Gasol that would free up $19mill the next two years.
    Wouldn't they be getting back players who make around the same as that. Unless you're proposing that they move Gasol for players with expiring contracts, which makes a little sense. Maybe I'm not up-to-date on the trade rules in the NBA, but isn't it not really possible to trade Gasol for a bag of peanuts?

If the lakers can move Gasol that would free up $19mill the next two years and will allow the Lakers to pick up Bynum's option for next year and work on a longer term contract or find a replacement either by draft, FA, or trade. I'm not familiar with his contract though and any no-trade clause.
    I mean if you're getting rid of Gasol via trade you'll have to be taking on other contracts it's not like you just cut that money out of the picture. Not to mention they traded their 2012 pick the Cavs for Sessions and sent another future first rounder to Houston with Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    I've seen tiered agriculture in person and therfore my arguments are valid.
    You're smarter than that. Context.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Lurker

whether kobe has a trade clause or not, i'd be hardpressed to believe the lakers would actually trade him

Oh I was thinking trading Gasol for maybe a cheaper player with upside and 1st rd draft picks. Not sure if thats realistic with 19 million tag but maybe a team will bite. I think he can still be very productive in the league for a few more years. He just needs a change of scenery after all the drama of this year.

note: I realize this may not really fit with the 'win now' mantra but would set the Lakers up for more flexibility to upgrade the bench to help an aging Kobe and a strong center in Bynum.
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 05-22-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Which team has a GM dumb enough to give up anything of value for Gasol?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Lakers need some outside shooting, someone who can hit threes and jump shots. Another point guard would be nice too, have Sessions come off the bench.

Well he did almost help net CP3 right?

Oh I was thinking trading Gasol for maybe a cheaper player with upside and 1st rd draft picks. Not sure if thats realistic with 19 million tag but maybe a team will bite. I think he can still be very productive in the league for a few more years. He just needs a change of scenery after all the drama of this year.
    It's a nice thought, but I'm pretty sure teams have to match one another as far as contract money goes. That's why teams love trading for players with one year, and a lot of money, left on their contracts. You can see that money come off the books after that year. If the Lakers can find a taker for Gasol, and get a player or two with bad contracts for year, then more power to them.

I think his stock has fallen a little after this season's playoffs. Plus, it wasn't just him that was in that deal. Who else from the Lakers could you realistically throw in, along with Gasol, to get the kind of value you might be looking for?

The Rockets were gonna give up Luis Scola, Gorin Dragic, and Kevin Martin to get Gasol. You think one of those guys is gonna help Kobe win another ring?

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Rockets were gonna give up Luis Scola, Gorin Dragic, and Kevin Martin to get Gasol. You think one of those guys is gonna help Kobe win another ring?
    not one of them, but all 3 will be a bigger help and more consistent than gasol

Watching Kevin Martin and Kobe Bryant try to battle each other for shots would be pretty entertaining, at least. It wouldn't help the Lakers win, but it would be good fodder for sports-talk radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose4485 View Post
    not one of them, but all 3 will be a bigger help and more consistent than gasol
    No.

Lurker

No.
    either way it doesn't really matter, because after Gasol's disastrous playoff performance, the offers will only get worse

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    It's a nice thought, but I'm pretty sure teams have to match one another as far as contract money goes. That's why teams love trading for players with one year, and a lot of money, left on their contracts. You can see that money come off the books after that year. If the Lakers can find a taker for Gasol, and get a player or two with bad contracts for year, then more power to them.
    Per Wiki on the NBA Salary Cap
    Traded Player Exception: If a team trades away a player with a higher salary than the player they acquire in return (we'll call this initial deal "Trade #1"), they receive what is called a Traded Player Exception, also known colloquially as a "Trade Exception". Teams with a trade exception have up to a year in which they can acquire more salary in other trades (Trade #2, #3, etc.) than they send away, as long as the gulf in salaries for Trade #2, #3, etc. are less than or equal to the difference in salary for Trade #1. This exception is particularly useful when teams trade draft picks straight-up for a player; since draft picks have no salary value, often the only way to get salaries to match is to use a trade exception, which allows trades to be made despite unbalanced salaries. It is also useful to compensate teams for losing free agents as they can do a sign and trade of that free agent to acquire a trade exception that can be used later. Note this exception is for single player trades only, though additional cash and draft picks can be part of the trade.
    There is an exception, but it looks like the Lakers would have a year to make deals to cover the $19 million less any value they get. I didn't know they couldn't make it up in FA but that makes sense. So, your point that the Lakers lack any real trade chips outside of Gasol is very valid. There would have to be some creativity to make something happen and probably would have to involve multiple teams. Lakers' GM is pretty good so I wouldn't be too surprised.

Well, to be fair, in that trade the Lakers wouldn't have received those players but CP3. But I also don't think those players are that bad. They pretty much were the best players on Houston this year. However, I forgot that Odom was involved in that trade also so it isn't like Gasol gained that value straight up (Odom was traded for Mav's 2012 1st rd pick). Still I think Gasol for a 1st Rd and a cheaper upside player is realistic if not for the restrictions above.
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 05-22-2012 at 02:18 PM.

More importantly. The return of The Golden State Warriors to the city. Stadium is going to be jewel of the NBA as is everything from the bay

I think Gasol for a 1st Rd and a cheaper upside player is realistic
    And if the Suns were to trade for Gasol by giving up their 1st rounder + an 'upside' player (Markieff Morris?) I'd be pissed off to no end.

I loved Dexter Pittman's play on Lance Stephenson. Scrub on scrub crime. Old-school NBA justice.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    I loved Dexter Pittman's play on Lance Stephenson. Scrub on scrub crime. Old-school NBA justice.
    I had to miss most of the game. What happened? Did any Pacer stick to the "fake tough guy" routine tonight?
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Well, Danny Granger hurt his ankle and David West suffered an injury. Granger tried to play on it, then aggravated it after grabbing LeBron's arm then getting tossed on the ground. Tyler Hansbrough did commit a hard (not dirty) foul on Wade. Then Udonis Haslem committed a hard (and dirty) foul on Hansbrough. The Pacers didn't have too much time to act like tough guys since they were getting beat down much of the game.

At the end of the game, Lance Stephenson ran in for an offensive rebound and Dexter Pittman elbowed him in the neck. He'll be suspended for a bit, not like it's a big deal.

These guys

vs these guys

equals

Attached Images Attached Images

Pittman elbowed Stephenson (who was crashing the offensive glass) in the neck during scrub time. He got him pretty good and should be suspended. Cheap shot and he winked afterward too.

Haslem knocked Psycho T in the 2nd quarter - which happened after Hansborogh fouled Wade pretty hard earlier in the game. I think flagrant 1s were issued for each.