Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: The Thanksgiving Dinner Recipe Thread

Default Re: The Thanksgiving Dinner Recipe Thread

It's not even that much time. I do that every year...throw a bag of cranberries in a pot of sugar water and boil it slow. Maybe a little Orange Juice if I want to get fancy. Then I take it to whoever's house I'm going to and they act all impressed, even though they've been slaving all day and I did nothing, really.

So I’m always charged with making dessert. I was going to be doing an earl grey infused milk chocolate cake, but some of the ingredients I ordered won’t be arriving in time. Plan B – Blackberry Crisp with Cream Sherry Infused Whipped Cream. Any thoughts on a special ingredient I could add to the berry crisp which would give that… je ne sai quoi? Perhaps it’s just adding a touch of heat in the form of Kashmiri chili powder. Do you think I could add a certain kind of liqueur or would it just burn? I usually make rather unusual desserts for Thanksgiving, but I suppose a conventional one will work just fine. I can’t resist adding that one ingredient that gives it a certain something. Perhaps I just need to get away from that mentality and make a standard crisp. It will be rather conventional as far as the main ingredients are concerned…

Rolled oats, flour, sugar, blackberries, butter, honey and brown sugar on top for lovely carmelized top.

The cream is heavy whipping cream, vanilla bean extract, baker’s sugar and a good deal of Harvey’s Bristol Cream Sherry.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Thyme, mint, and basil go very nicely with blackberries.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    John, if you stew cranberry sauce for long enough, it will break down by itself without any grinding/processing necessary. I very rarely actually process mine. Something to consider.
    The cranberry relish I know and love and have made is entirely raw. I have had rather little cooked cranberry sauce and as such don't have the connection to it that would cause me to make it.

I grew up calling this cranberry sauce. Canned cranberry sauce always seemed terrifying and foreign to me and I had no idea most folks cooked their cranberries for sauce. Or, rather, that what we make - a mixture of raw ground cranberries, pineapple and oranges (or pears, for a non-citrus person like myself) - is more properly a cranberry relish (that recipe is similar.)

It keeps well, goes great on leftover turkey sandwiches and hot damn does the extra juice taste fantastic. The other fruit are there mainly because they are juicy and facilitate the grinding... but you don't need all that juice in the final product.

If I am feeling the need and/or have time and/or see cranberries I may either try with the blender or break out and see how the KitchenAid works.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

old school

Im boring. I think Im just going to repeat the past recipes from all of you in this thread. They have been a huge hit, why change it? Ill probably add some of your suggestions too.Thanks for all the great ideas everyone.
    Last edited by J~$$$$; 11-21-2011 at 05:13 PM.

23 pounds of love in the fridge.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    Thyme, mint, and basil go very nicely with blackberries.
    Wonderful suggestion. Thank you!

What could I put 2 cups of hot hatch chilies in a t day dinner? They could actually be a side with potatoes and carrots together. In the stuffing, hummm ............. cr****

This hatch corn salad recipe from Central Market in Texas is quick, easy, and completely fucking delicious. This does not make us friends.

2c fresh corn kernels, cut directly off the cob
    1/2 red onion, chopped
    1/2 red pepper, chopped
    1 Hatch pepper, chopped
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp olive oil

Mix in bowl the way a sensible person would. Add salt and pepper to taste. Consume.

Not my recipe per se, but here goes:
    Been cookie this dish for the past two years and everyone pretty much has good things to say bout it, so here's da link to mac and cheese casserole:

http://www.pattilabelle.com/store/ov...mac-and-cheese

A little time consuming, but delicious none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    What could I put 2 cups of hot hatch chilies in a t day dinner? They could actually be a side with potatoes and carrots together. In the stuffing, hummm ............. cr****
    you could save them and make turkey chile verde the day after.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Chop them up and put them in baked mac and cheese.

On another note, we are trying a new dessert this year: Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Pie. I'll report back and let you know how it goes, recipe from Whole Foods below.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/884
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

I can't magine using 2 cups of Hatch chiles in any single dish, a few tablespoons and the heat starts coming.

Tom, I made that butternut squash and leek soup again tonight, it turned out great again. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Picked up a new roasting pan and hand mixer today.

Turkey has been cleaned and is sitting in the fridge. Just made the cranberries. Quartered and cleaned the potatoes into a stock pot. Same for the yams. Stuck them both in the fridge. Just threw out lots of trash. I'll mop the floor after sticking the bird in tomorrow morning.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Picked up a new roasting pan and hand mixer today.

Turkey has been cleaned and is sitting in the fridge. Just made the cranberries. Quartered and cleaned the potatoes into a stock pot. Same for the yams. Stuck them both in the fridge. Just threw out lots of trash. I'll mop the floor after sticking the bird in tomorrow morning.
    Cover that bird with a few slices of bacon on top of the breast. A good piece of apple-smoked bacon will keep the breast moist and flavorful.

So after this, I was wondering...anyone here have mac and cheese as part of their Thanksgiving?

that's funny. and yes mac and cheese will be on our table!
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Yes. Us too.

If I'm making apple crisp and I want to throw some cranberries in (it will cook in the oven) -- will they be too bitter? Should I cook them up like you do for cranberry sauce instead and toss with the apples? I like the idea of just cranberries sprinkled in the apples but don't want little, hard bites of too sour.

I realize people may be too busy to check in here and answer.

Matilda - what about soaking them in some sugar water for a couple of hours? I think that, yes, they will be a bit sour on their own. I hate overly sweet desserts and yet I find that the amount of sugar called for (on the fruit or in the topping) in most crisp recipes is never adequate. I'm doing a blackberry and cranberry crisp and I'm adding 1 1/2 times as much sugar as my recipe calls for.

Have a nice Thanksgiving, folks. I'm so glad I'm taking Amtrak and not driving!

Thanks Rage!

Have a nice one, everyone.

No recipe, but I am thankful to be home with my family. It was almost a bust.

old school

mmmmmmm everything smells so delicious. Happy Thanksgiving yall.

Crostini w/ various cheeses and caramelized onion
    Prosciutto wrapped asparagus

Turkey w/ gravy (not from any packages)
    Mashed potatoes
    Roasted carrots
    Home made macaroni and cheese
    Sauteed Green beans
    Dressing

The gravy is almost done. That means it's gonna be time to eat. I don't know who's salivating more; me or the dog.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Hope everyone is having a good day and are all able to share it with those you love.
    Last edited by marooko; 11-24-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    On another note, we are trying a new dessert this year: Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Pie. I'll report back and let you know how it goes, recipe from Whole Foods below.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/884
    Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Pie=Huge Success!!! Everyone loved it. Definitely keeping this recipe for future use.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Bump.

I don't care much for turkey, so this year I am making duck. Does anyone have any suggestions/recipes?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Fridge loaded as of an hour ago.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

My mom watches the Today show every day and she saw this recipe on there, so I'm gonna try it:

Bacon bourbon Brussels sprout skewers

Courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
    Ingredients

• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    • 2/3 cup bourbon
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1 pound slab bacon, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
    • 1 pound small Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved if needed
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • Nonstick cooking spray
    • 15 to 20 (8-inch) bamboo skewers
    Preparation

Heat a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add the butter and allow it to cook until the butter begins to brown and starts to smells nutty, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the brown sugar and cayenne and cook another 2 minutes stirring regularly. Remove the pan from the heat and add the bourbon. Be careful as it will splatter. Place the pan back on the heat and ignite if desired. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until a smooth caramel has formed, another 3 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
    Spread the bacon on a small baking sheet and bake in the oven for 8 minutes, just to begin to render the fat. Set aside.
    Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the sprouts and simmer for
    3 to 4 minutes or until just barely tender and still bright green. Spread on a sheet tray to cool slightly. Toss with the olive oil and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
    Preheat the grill pan over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
    Begin to assemble the skewers starting with a Brussels Sprout, then a piece of bacon, another sprout, another piece of bacon and finishing with a sprout. Continue until all of the skewers are assembled. Brush the glaze lightly over the skewers. Place them on the prepared grill pan and grill, brushing them with glaze with every turn, until the bacon is beginning to crisp and the Brussels sprouts are starting to char, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove and serve warm drizzled with any remaining glaze.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I have been tasked with doing some sort of vegetable dish that is NOT brussels sprouts (someone else already has that covered). I also dislike cooked carrot dishes generally. Thinking maybe green beans? Do any of you have a good thanksgiving-ish vegetable recipe that's fairly fresh and zingy and not heavy?