Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a bunch of pictures from Vegoose

Default a bunch of pictures from Vegoose

For a while there i thought i wasn't going when the room i thought i was getting went up from 336 at a reasonably cool place for 3 days to 610 at a place i wasn't too keen on. i was traveling solo, so that kinda made me say "ouch". i put out casual word to the people at buzznet i would be interested in taking pictures and since they had a relationship with Vegoose this year to hook me up. They said i could crash with a couple of their picture takers and a photo pass was mine. Unfortunately i didn't get that pass til a little later on Saturday, but it gave me time to chill and stroll the grounds knowing i couldn't get in the photo pit.

i thought the festival was pretty cool. The costumes added a colorful, festive flavor. The party mentality is there and the sense of freedom encourages it (walking around with booze and from what i saw, comfortable smoking of the evil weed.) The bands were great and being able to see big chunks of them in a domino style of the 3 stages was satisfying. i definitely look forward to attending again.

Ok, i'll shut up.

Part 1

Lupe Fiasco

Blonde Redhead

Last edited by ivankay; 10-31-2007 at 04:06 AM.

Default Re: a bunch of pictures from Vegoose

Awesome pictures as always, Ivankay, but:

Isn't hanging up a huge sign behind you declaring yourself a punk about the least punk rock thing someone can do? It's just a step below a data entry position and a Roth IRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Isn't hanging up a huge sign behind you declaring yourself a punk about the least punk rock thing someone can do? It's just a step below a data entry position and a Roth IRA.
    Hannah, have you seen Gogol Bordello? They ARE Gypsy Punk. They aren't really declaring themselves "punk" they are saying they are gypsy punks, and they describe thier sound as gypsy punk. Both of which are acurate.
    Also, in 1999 they were banned from CBGBs because thier live shows were causing too much of a rucus. How much more punk can ya get?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

The slingshot with a star says it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

CR**** looks amazing.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    They aren't really declaring themselves "punk" they are saying they are gypsy punks, and they describe thier sound as gypsy punk. Both of which are acurate.
    This doesn't make any sense. You're contradicting yourself in one sentence. But bands don't tend to hang up huge signs behind them declaring things about themselves. Have you ever seen Bob Dylan play in front of a sign that says "I'm a folk legend"? What about RATM in front of a huge sign that says "Man, we sure are pissed!"?

I'm not casting aspersions on them as musicians, or saying they're categorizing themselves as something they aren't. I'm saying that I find the sign ridiculous and a little self-aggrandizing.

Banned

RATM hangs a huge red star inside a black background behind them and plays infront of it. YOU'RE not making sense.

E

Hello, Edwin.

Is that the best you've got?

Banned

I'm going to sleep. Hanna is being quite the bitch tonight.

E

Sleeping is giving in, no matter what the time is.

This doesn't make any sense. You're contradicting yourself in one sentence. But bands don't tend to hang up huge signs behind them declaring things about themselves. Have you ever seen Bob Dylan play in front of a sign that says "I'm a folk legend"? What about RATM in front of a huge sign that says "Man, we sure are pissed!"?

I'm not casting aspersions on them as musicians, or saying they're categorizing themselves as something they aren't. I'm saying that I find the sign ridiculous and a little self-aggrandizing.
    It was fun and sounded good. i think their image is goofy that pulls you into their good time. i view the banner in a fun way that gets a little affection from me. It might be an interesting night if they did a bill with Polyphonic Spree. That Bob Dylan picture would be the best.

Iím not contradicting myself at all. They aren't saying "Hey! Looks at us. We are punk!" They are saying "Hey, look at us, were are crazy gypsies!" They just have a punk influence in their music and a sort-of punk attitude toward the world. However, the term "punk" itself is a very loose term. I will explain what I mean. Have you listened to much of their music? As goofy as they sound and appear, they do talk about serious subjects. They just use a little humour to go along with it. This is because gypsy music is party music. They want to talk about serious issues, but they want to party and have the world party with them too. Their subjects of their lyrics deal with everything from being part of the working class to cultural urgency and cultures clashing to the sad state of the youth in today's society.
    Eugene Hutz is also very outspoken about radio stations, record labels and western cultures obsession with the media and popular culture. You see, Eugene Hutz and his family were displaced after Chernobyl and he would up traveling with a pack of gypsies. At the age of 17 (or 18) he moves to New York City. He actually started acting, and DJing on the side. His DJ sets became quite infamous in New York, because he would spin stuff like The Clash, Manu Chao and Fugazi.
    Eventually he got a band together. He wanted to combine the cultures he grew up in, into one through music. The gypsy culture of Eastern Europe and the, for lack of a better term, punk culture of New York. He decided to call the band Gogol Bordello, named after the Russian existentialist writer Nikolai Gogol. Eugene Hutz knew us westerners are incredibly uneducated about Eastern Europe, and needed a term that we could connect with. It was there he coined the term "Gypsy Punk." As I said before, the bands live show became so frantic and out of control, even CBGBs banned them from performing. So, I think the term Gypsy Punk was created so us westerners could have a gateway to their music. As un-punk as calling yourself punk is, he was smart enough to know he had to market their music somehow. Gogol Bordello ended up being signed to sideonedummy records, who is also home to another punk-but-not-really act, Flogging Molly.
    To be honest, I kind of wondered about their integrity when I first started listening to them too. However, after giving all their albums thorough listens, and seeing them multiple times this year, I can tell they have kept true to themselves and their culture(s). And there is nothing more punk than that.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Sleeping is giving in, no matter what the time is.
    You're not doing so well with the arguing with people tonight. I wish you less sleepy opponents next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Brilliant pictures, Ivankay.

I'm getting all anxious for Coachella now!
    ass on the grill

You forget, they have the word Gypsy in front of it. Yeah, do you actually give a s**t as it is? Not like you were there to complain o Eugene Hutz himself.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
    RATM hangs a huge red star inside a black background behind them and plays infront of it. YOU'RE not making sense.

E
    ratm is sponsored by heineken.

I thought RATM was sponsored by Zapatista Corp.

Part 2

Mastodon

Atmosphere

these guys were "Lost"...hahahahaha...sigh

Cypress Hill

Public Enemy

Hopefully in the next couple of days: MIA, The Shins, Iggy and the Stooges, and QOTSA. i like some of my Daft Punk pictures a lot. They might just be all of Part 4.
    Last edited by ivankay; 11-01-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Banned

Nice. Just don't commit the mistake of posting more banners behind artists. Hanna will have another fit.

E

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    CR**** looks amazing.
    Out of all the pics of costumes, yeah...CR**** managed to really disguise himself the best...(Applause from the board!)
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

I can't wait for Part 4!!! If your Daft Punk pics are as tight as all I've seen so far...I'll think I was there!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

a Roth IRA.
    paging Mr. Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Part 2

I'm so pissed I missed Bob Ross...

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Quote Originally Posted by gmoneyak View Post
    I'm so pissed I missed Bob Ross...

And that picture only does the smallest part in communicating the way that guy danced. It was a great thing to watch. One of my favorite costumes of the weekend.

lol. That's me in the bush hat on the left of the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Part 3

The Shins

M.I.A.

Queens of the Stone Age...previous crowd shots are for QOTSA

Iggy and DP are next. Hopefully in a couple of days.
    Last edited by ivankay; 11-05-2007 at 06:11 AM.

simply amazing! Love the pics!
    QUESTION:
    How many robot costumes do you think you saw all weekend?

I'm definitely a fan of the big balls.
    QUALITY!

Ivan.....you got a picture of me....I'm the guy in the red hat & shirt with the camera...

Are you in any of these pix?

Or perhaps this one, which I call funny people jumping up & down...LOL

Last edited by gaypalmsprings; 11-05-2007 at 06:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post

Or perhaps this one, which I call funny people jumping up & down...LOL

i can't see the pictures, but i am in the clip. i'm the guy in the green shirt holding a camera above the crowd and then getting down. That's fun.

Wait! i just noticed there are 2 guys in green shirts doing that. i'm the one to the left without a hat.
    Last edited by ivankay; 11-05-2007 at 04:54 PM.