Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Across the Universe

Default Across the Universe

I don't know who else has seen this, but i thought it was a really good movie. It made me remember how much i love the Beatles.

Default Re: Across the Universe

from the trailers it looks like it could be just a little bit more subtle and the fact the lead character is named Jude just makes me groan.
    The White Stripes 9/18

I didn't expect that much from it either...but it was really good. One of the best new movies i've seen in a while.

i'm going to be the asshole on this one. i did not dig it at all. While i was watching it i was trying to figure out what was driving me nuts and came to these conclusions:

1) it was like a collection of slick commercials or videos that felt seperate instead of a seamless connection

2) The vast majority of the versions of the songs were not good. At points i would close my eyes and think "i wouldn't enjoy listening to this on it's own coming through speakers."

3)Some of the actors were not too appealing to me (mainly Prudence)

i am always open to being wrong on a first viewing and have experienced more than once that 2nd accidental cable viewing that makes me go "ah, that wasn't so bad", but i had no problems leaving to go to the bathroom during this one.

BTW...Into the Wild is excellent. At this point it is my "best movie of the year". A truly great film that i suspect will be considered a generational touchstone (like Rebel Without a Cause, The Graduate, Easy Rider, etc) that can be tansformational. Beautiful.

i went thinking itd be an all right movie with ok beattle covers. wow was i wrong. one of the best movies i have seen in a long time and the covers are really good. seriously i know there is a lot of hype for this movie. but for once the hype is actually because its good. see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    3)Some of the actors were not too appealing to me (mainly Prudence)

ill agree with you on that one. she was one of the few things i did not like about the movie.

honestly don't think i could even get past the character names. Just makes me want to puke. Prudence, Lucy, Jude Come on.
    The White Stripes 9/18

dont forget max.

Quote Originally Posted by mvanwinkle View Post
    dont forget max.
    sadie and jojo too. Anymore i'm forgetting? lol
    The White Stripes 9/18

I m not much of a fan of Bono but i really really liked his part in the movie. I Am The Walrus is one of my favorite songs.

and i think you covered it on the names. ha.

I really loved the part where the little kid was singing let it be.

How stoned were you?

I don't care how positive the reviews are and how much I like the Beatles. Watching the trailer, there is no amount of money that would get me into a theater to see this abomination.
    For your health

i really liked it. thats all i have to say on this subject
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

I've been avoiding it like a plague but I'll probably check it out now. With characters like Lucy and Jude plus very positive reviews from one of my favorite film critics ...

[OT: Saw Into The Wild and Rendition last weekend instead

Best Films of '07 so far (among the few ones that I've seen - I used to see > 100 films/up to >300 each year):

1. Into The Wild, 2. The Bourne Ultimatum 3. Michael Clayton ... just saying - I'm just in the mood for making best lists]

Well, dang. I thought this was supposed to be bad. Should I go see it then? (on acid..?)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Just saw it. Now I want and wish I could go to Las Vegas, not only to see Muse in Vegoose on Sunday but also to finally see Love Beatles show (if it is playing). Ugh ...

I also did'nt like the trailer but thanks to this thread and I got curious and did some research (i.e, read Ebert's reviews).

I love this film. I've been a Beatles fan since I was a kid. I'm not going to say that this film is a must-see if you are diehard Beatles fans. It's a film that you will either love or hate. It completely worked for me. I was so ready for the worst that I even brought a puke plastic bag. I never used it. Now, once I get home I have to do some more research in imdb like as to all the hows, whats and where they filmed this movie.

It will not probably going to end up in my Top 10 films of 2007.

Disclaimer: I must say that Ebert and I have the taste in films (or should I say I agree with him 90% of the time). I'm also quite picky lately on what movies to watch in theaters.

By the way, I love also all the characters and the actors who played them in film.

Yeah, you might love or even hate (or whatever) it but all music fans should check it out. One thing for sure, there's going be lot of Muse and The Beatles vinyls/songs that will spin & play tonight in my turntable player.

im confused where the muse connection comes in other than they are british
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

i thought the film was terrible.

1. the characters were shallow, thinly veiled cariacatures (the misguided activist, the angst ridden artist, the lost college dropout... etc. etc.)
    2. the special effects took the worst influences from the 60s/70s and the worst elements from contemporary music videos and combined them both
    3. the songs ranged from terrible to mediocre
    4. it was far too long, given how uninteresting the plots and characters were
    5. rachel evan wood can't sing to save her life

I did like the Joe Cocker appearance, the films only worthwhile moment. save yourselves the money and wait till it comes out on video if you are that interested.

I liked the movie. Naturally this means none of you should see it.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

There's no Muse connection at all. Muse vinyls will spin in my turntable player tonight whether I've seen this movie today or not. Muse will play in Vegoose and Beatles Love show will be in Las Vegas whether I've seen this film or not.

This film (and Muse live at Wembley ... ahhhhh, this one, I just can't resist ) in DVD/Blu-Ray will be in the short list of software am buying next year.
    Last edited by idrive1life; 10-26-2007 at 07:52 PM.

I have seen this movie twice now with two different groups of friends, and I'm sorry to say it didn't really work for me. The Beatles are my favorite band of all time, but I really wasn't feeling this movie. For one thing, there was an almost complete lack of a plotline. All that really happens is, Jude goes to America, gets with Lucy, goes away from America, goes back to America, mixed in with some antiwar protesting stuff. It wasn't anything very compelling. My other problem was that it seemed like the filmmakers started with a list of beloved Beatles songs and tried to find a way to fit all of them in, instead of writing a story and then going to the music to complement it. I got the sense that it went something like: "Hey, Dear Prudence is a really great song. Hey, maybe we could have a CHARACTER named Prudence and they could SING it to her!" The result is too many musical numbers that, while well staged and all of that, don't further the plot or develop the characters or do anything. The psychedelic part of the movie really stood out for this reason, it had nothing to do with anything. Still, it was nice to look at I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman
    Lingo, shut the fuck up. You look like a goddamn cancer patient and your analogy is idiotic. Also, The Black Keys are unlistenable garbage, you unbelievable fucking dork.

1/18 Volcano Choir - The Fonda
    1/22 Vampire Weekend - USC
    2/14 Spiritualized - Ace Hotel
    3/8 Mark Kozelek - First Unitarian Church
    3/18 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall
    3/19 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall

www.facebook.com/mlingo

http://www.last.fm/group/Coachella+Forum

I love this film because it is beautifully photographed, excellently edited and awesomely playful. It was'nt pretentious or trying to be compelling at all. Oh you're looking for plot line and sick & tired of MTV style of cinematography & storytelling? Ahhhhhh, there's something in it that we also saw & felt ... it's probably a matter of taste ...
    Last edited by idrive1life; 10-26-2007 at 05:14 PM.

I'm looking for something that will actually make me care about what's happening on screen. It was an empty spectacle, not inspired enough to get away with not having any compelling characters or plotlines.
    Lingo, shut the fuck up. You look like a goddamn cancer patient and your analogy is idiotic. Also, The Black Keys are unlistenable garbage, you unbelievable fucking dork.

www.facebook.com/mlingo

Don't get me wrong that's what the majority of film critics are saying. And am not saying they or you are wrong for having that opinion. Just saying ... I did'nt expect it to be thought-provoking like say Into The Wild or Michael Clayton but I guess it's inventiveness and playful/fresh literal use (plus excellent & engaging acting by pretty much everyone in the cast) of The Beatles songs that really draw me in this film. With a Little Help From My Friends musical scene is one of the most memorable and entertaining musical bits of the film.

I dunno, I wasn't expecting something thought provoking, it just didn't work for me. *shrug*

www.facebook.com/mlingo

I get you. It did'nt work for you. You did'nt like it. I'm listing the reasons why I love it not because I want you to change your mind or for you to say that you actually like it.

Quote Originally Posted by idrive1life View Post
    Oh you're looking for plot line and sick & tired of MTV style of cinematography & storytelling?
    No dumbass, that's what it had. A tired plot line and silly, gimmicky production value.

Whatever, asshole.