Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Mars Volta

Default Re: New Mars Volta

he is out, he has said so himself and already missed a scheduled appearance with members of the band. there just hasn't been any kind of official word but trust he is out.

Okay, let me try to catch you up, but keep in mind the thread about this on the Comatorium is 102 pages long and all of this started on Oct. 23rd so it's kind of a long story and every single detail has been (over)analyzed already.

For the full stories and discussion, go to http://forum.thecomatorium.com/forum...owtopic=118039

1) On October 23rd, the Volta showed up to their gig in Raleigh and soundchecked. Right before they opened doors, Thomas came out, threw his suitcase in a cab and left. Then the rest of the band got in the bus and left. Shortly after, security came out to announce the show was cancelled. When pressed, security said there had been a big argument and the "bandleader fired their drummer."

2) Omar, Juan and Thomas were set to play at an award show to honor Charlie Haden the night after this show in Hollywood. Omar and Juan showed up and played as scheduled. Thomas did not.

3) Thomas reportedly started sending messages to Facebook friends (one of whom is a Coma message boardie) calling Cedric nasty names and saying he was glad to be out of the band. Said boardie posted Thomas's comments on the Coma and then got axed as a Facebook friend by Thomas.

3) Thomas then posted stuff on his actual Facebook account saying he was looking forward to new beginnings, etc.

4) Then Ikey, via his Twitter account, posted that Juan was looking for a new drummer for them and "hopes Juan finds [the Volta] a new drummer who grooves"

Many, many people have been rumored to be filling this spot (in time for the European leg of the tour, which begins November 29th, I might add) including Dave Elitch and Teddy Campbell.

The bottom line is that nothing at all is for sure, but with the occurrences above (and other stuff) it seems pretty likely that Thomas Pridgen is out of the band.

thanks for that because I hate reading the comatorium. Pretty depressing news. why cant we all just get along?

The comatorium is like reading the Tool message board. Nauseating, absolutely nauseating.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Yeah... I was initially a fan of Thomas, like a lot of folks... but this is still really good news for the band. I don't think he has much to do with the past two Volta albums sucking, I think that's just Omar & Cedric themselves, but he clearly was not a great fit for them regardless...

BRING BACK DEANTONI PARKS!

Deantoni >>>> Jon Theodore >>>>>>>>> Thomas Pridgen > Blake Fleming
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Also, jesus fucking christ I hate reading the comatorium and the people that post there more than any other website on the fucking internets.

First show of new tour leg just finished in Oslo. Confirmed now that Dave Elitch is the Voltas' new drummer.

Fucking AMAZING setlist. Jesus, I am SO jealous right now. Thinking of booking a trip to Australia in January to see this new incarnation. Fuck.

*drum roll* ladies & gentlemen, I give you the setlist of the Oslo show:

Son et lumiere-> Inertiatic
    Cotopaxi
    L'Via L'viaquez
    Eriatarka
    Goliath
    Since We've Been Wrong
    Cicatriz
    Halo Of Nembutals
    Miranda
    Teflon
    Viscera Eyes
    The Widow
    Roulette Dares

Not bad

Fucking finally, a decent amount of Deloused... material in a setlist. I would love to see Son et lumiere-> Inertiatic as an opening. Eriatarka and Cicatriz too. Miranda is an incredibly odd choice though... I don't think I ever recall seeing that on a setlist.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

It was done on the last u.s. leg if Im right.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    It was done on the last u.s. leg if Im right.
    Only Inertiatic ESP and Roulette Dares. (And Drunkship-- but they've played that for the last couple of years)

VOLTA FOR COACHELLA 2010!

long over due.....

Quote Originally Posted by yeahfontaine View Post
    First show of new tour leg just finished in Oslo. Confirmed now that Dave Elitch is the Voltas' new drummer.

Fucking AMAZING setlist. Jesus, I am SO jealous right now. Thinking of booking a trip to Australia in January to see this new incarnation. Fuck.

*drum roll* ladies & gentlemen, I give you the setlist of the Oslo show:

Son et lumiere-> Inertiatic
    Cotopaxi
    L'Via L'viaquez
    Eriatarka
    Goliath
    Since We've Been Wrong
    Cicatriz
    Halo Of Nembutals
    Miranda
    Teflon
    Viscera Eyes
    The Widow
    Roulette Dares
    That is an amazing setlist. That would be a dream come true. Hope they have another round of dates in the US in spite of this setback with Thomas.

SWEEEEET! Can't wait til there next North American Tour! Hopefully this newbie lives up the volta reputation

WOW. No matter what the ticket price that show is worthwhile for L'Via alone.

And rage, they played Miranda in its entirety two NYEs ago in San Francisco.

I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Thumbs up Re: New Mars Volta

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    WOW. No matter what the ticket price that show is worthwhile for L'Via alone.

WORD.

Same (AMAZING) setlist in Stockholm. So jealous.

Anyway, here are some vids from the shows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSxCu34LKzU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=renyFWmDpaE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtiEF...layer_embedded
    Last edited by yeahfontaine; 11-30-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonen View Post
    SWEEEEET! Can't wait til there next North American Tour! Hopefully this newbie lives up the volta reputation

i like him already.
    Last edited by GrossMagic; 11-30-2009 at 04:38 PM.

I'm not sure how I feel about all of these old songs in the live show... obviously, I love the songs themselves, much more than their new stuff... but I hate the way they're pretty much dominating the setlists now, as if the band is embarassed by their new material, and is just pandering to all the nerdy fans wanting to hear the classics over and over... I would much rather them make a new album that's as good as the classics and play that shit nonstop.

Either do that, or rework all the old songs to make something new and fresh. That's what they seem to have done with Cicatriz, which is great. I love that song being back. Otherwise, I'm not a big fan of this nostalgia act.

Really? I think TMV are realizing they no one really want to hear the new shit live... and they are wise-ing up to the fact.

I do agree with you though, I would much rather them make a good new album too. But, considering what we have been given recently... I do not have any faith.

If I had my way, their setlists would be only material from Deloused and Francis, nothing from their past two and the only songs from Mechamptuechture would be Asilios Magdelena and Day of The Baphomets.

I dunno, I guess I've thought them to be such a band based on progress, spontaneity, experimentation, and evolution, not a band that you want to sing along to the chorus with, and so it kinda goes against their principles? Hearing them joke onstage sarcastically at Bonnaroo about how "they peaked on their first two albums" and so they only play "by requests" now didn't help this notion. But I'm probably overthinking this...

I know I would definitely be up for seeing them live again in the near future, even though I thought the last time I saw them would the last for a long while.
    Last edited by pancakespancakes; 11-30-2009 at 05:22 PM.

I dont want to sing along with their songs... thats not what I was saying. I just want to hear some of their quality songs when I go to their shows. Is that too much to ask? I know what you mean saying TMV are a band based on progress, but they aren't progressing anymore. They are stuck in a rut of shit and at this point... I don't think I am ever going to like another TMV album.

They aren't progressing anymore?

I love Octahedron and feel they are progressing more than ever! To say you are not going to like another TMV album is saying you dont like progression.

Yeah. You might not like Octahedron but to say they aren't progressing or are in a rut is just plain silly. They are constantly growing and changing and pursuing new directions. I always look forward to their next incarnation. Can't wait 'til their next album!

I would like to see them again. However, they failed the last two times I saw them. The first time I ever saw them they killed it. So the hope is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonen View Post
    They aren't progressing anymore?

I love Octahedron and feel they are progressing more than ever! To say you are not going to like another TMV album is saying you dont like progression.
    I like progression when they actually progress somewhere good. TMV are progressing backwards. I believe that is called regression.

To me, Francis was a progression from Deloused. I think they are both incredible albums, but Deloused is slightly better. But still, Francis was progression. With Mechamputechture, I felt a slight bit of progression, but it was overall a failed attempt. Goliath makes me feel like they are lot and had no clue which direction they were going and ended up going backwards instead of forwards. Octahedron is a bit better than Goliath, but they are still stuck in essentially the same place.

I understand what you're saying, RP, but I still don't think you can think about the Volta (or any music for that matter) in such a linear fashion. Backwards and forwards on the same line is a pretty sad way to think about art. Just my opinion.

Oh, and it's Frances, not Francis. Sorry--it was bugging me since you said it so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    I know I would definitely be up for seeing them live again in the near future, even though I thought the last time I saw them would the last for a long while.
    I'm in the same boat. The Ventura Theatre show this year completely talked me out of the Palladium gig, which ended up being a mistake.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The Mars Volta have an amazing catalogue of music. Their new material is gorgeous. When I saw them at The Palladium, Octahedron tunes were beautiful. I hope there are more fans out there that actually enjoy all their music instead of complaining about how the new stuff sounds nothing like De-Loused, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahfontaine View Post
    I understand what you're saying, RP, but I still don't think you can think about the Volta (or any music for that matter) in such a linear fashion. Backwards and forwards on the same line is a pretty sad way to think about art. Just my opinion.

Oh, and it's Frances, not Francis. Sorry--it was bugging me since you said it so many times.
    If we're gonna correct album names, it's Amputechture, not Meccamputechture. The song was called that, but the album had the shorter title. Sorry to be sticklers.