Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So im going to go buy a digital camera today.

Default So im going to go buy a digital camera today.

Any suggestions. I want something that is of great quality and that i can bring into the festival with me. i dont know dick about cameras. thanks...
    Last edited by Mr.Nipples; 03-31-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Default Re: So im going to go buy a digital camera today.

Features you should look into

Megapixels: Ask yourself this. How big am I going to print my pictures? Are you gonna make big posters? Or are you just going to post them on the net or email them to friends. If you're just buying a camera to mess around with, send photos and maybe print something up to the standard 8.5"X11" paper, 4-6megapixel cameras should be fine.

Good optical zoom: 3X or more for close ups. Ignore the Digital zoom specs. Digital the zoom is the equivalent to enlarging and cropping your photo in photoshop.

Image stabalization: if you're in the middle of the pack during RATM you'll want this to minimize blur as you and everyone else are jumping around, bumping into each other, etc.

Large memory card: 2gigs is a good size. Depending on the megapixels of the camera you can get between hundreds up to a thousand or so photos. And there's some room for video clips if the camera records video.

Batteries: 2 ways you can look at this. 1) Some cameras still use AA batteries which are advantagious in that if your high power rechargeable AA's die you could technically pick up a pack of Duracell/Energizers in a pinch. Downside is they don't last as long. 2)Most cameras have proprietary batteries that take a lot more pictures on one charge, but once it's dead you're hooped until you recharge or pop in a 2nd charged battery.
    If you choose the AA route, buy a set of rechargeable NiMH batteries and have them with you at the concert. If you go the other route, definitely buy a second battery when you buy the camera.

Everything else is subjective to your tastes. How it feels in your hand, how big of an LCD screen you want, lag between shots, etc.

Any Canon, Sony, Casio, or Panasonic are my suggestions. I personally avoid HP and Kodak.

I also suggest if you buy a digital camera and are likely to store it in your pocket during Coachella or anywhere for that matter, you should look into an LCD protector. The LCD screen is one of the most fragile parts in a digital camera. The moment it cracks, you've basically got yourself $200+ film camera and a lot of warranties don't cover the LCD screen or make you go through a lot of hoops to get it fixed.

Dudleyville, AZ (yes, it's a real place!)

woah, ask and ye shall receive. that was great
    I don't have anything clever to say right now.
    Tiff's Myspace

The biggest advice I can give you is to try and get a camera with a fast shutter speed. It doesn't matter how many megapixels your camera has if the subject of the picture is a colourful blur. Assuming you'll be shooting from the crowd, the crowd moves and the band members move... a lot. Using flash will eliminate blurring, but it washes out the stage lighting and usually looks bad because you'll most likely be far from the stage. When you go test out your camera, make sure it captures photos instantly, instead of having a 2-3 second delay, because by that time, the singer will probably be on the other side of the stage.

I have this one http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=13019 very nice get it cheap online

I just got the Panasonic LX2K for christmas, it's the nicest compact digital i've ever seen, it's never got anything less than a great review. It's expensive but worth it.

Devon

the better ones are those with aperture f/2.8 min on the lens, also iso 400-800 should do it. the rest dont even matter if you wanna take awesome night shots.

try to keep your setting to manual at f/2.8, iso 400, and slowest speed 1/40-1/60 (also depends on the light set up at the event, which i bet should be very good, and then you can make your shutter speed go up even higher to 1/100 sometimes.

What did you land up buying?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

best buy has a decent selection of cameras. The Cannon and Fugi ones are decnt for Coachella and relativily inexpensive.. anput $250 and below. Mega pixs do count.. anything lower than 4 is useless really look for 6 and above.. but 10 is usually professional grade. You want multi funcational, easy to use. The battieres are usually the cr3.. that are not rechargeable so have many on hand. Also memory cards. i am bringing three with me even though you can upload your pixs from computers available at coachella( thank you guys).

But with memory cards... dont change the quality of the pixs. On my coolpix camera you can change tha quality and size. the lower the quality the more pixs you get but are complete crap!!!!

stick with the best ..i think 1600 on a coolpix( not a bad camera either.)
    "I am just a watery Tart with a sword in her hand."

I was going to make my own thread, but decided Id just tag along on this one instead.

Anyways, I have a panasonic DMC-LZ5 and have used it for taking pics at concerts. I have learned a lot about how to use it from trial and error over the last year, but was wondering if anyone could give me some tips to get even better pics.

My biggest concern is for at night, especially in the tents. Last year the day pics (especially from the stages) came out really well, but a few of the night shots were sorta hit and miss, although I did get some great pics.

So right now here are the settings I have set up.
    ISO: 400 (400 is the highest setting)
    Pict Size: 2M EZ (can someone explain exactly what this setting is? that is the default and Im not sure exactly what it does)
    Slow Shutter: 1/8

Also what is AF and the purpose of the AF assist lamp

Thanks to anyone who can help

My personal suggestions are the Canon SD630 and the Sony DSC T10. Check them out and you should be pleased....

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    My personal suggestions are the Canon SD630 and the Sony DSC T10. Check them out and you should be pleased....
    I have a canon sd630. one of the best cameras out there, i think, anyway.
    I would go with a canon though. I think they're the highest quality cameras made right now. But i probably wouldn't go the AA battery way, get the rechargable battery kind. More convenient. I've only, ever, probably charged my battery three times in the year and a half i've had it.

If you plan on taking a lot of pictures, get a camera with a rechagable battery and buy a few batteries (last year i had 4 batteries). Get a big card so you can get tons of pictures and movies.

i used a few cameras last year because i dropped my Canon Powershot S70 (the S80 is out, i would recommend them) accidentally and it stopped working the next day. i ended up borrowing a couple of old cameras (Pentax 3.2 and a camera phone with a large card) from a friend. It was a growth experience to have to work within the limitations of not being able to use my camera and prepared mentality to go with it. If you got time to go through a buttload of pictures:

http://renegademartian-coachella2006...m/user/photos/

i bought a nikon coolpix L5. what do you guys think? i can return i decide i dont dig it in the next few days. how do find the shutter speed? fsm, thanks for taking the time giving me all that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut727 View Post
    So right now here are the settings I have set up.
    ISO: 400 (400 is the highest setting)
    Pict Size: 2M EZ (can someone explain exactly what this setting is? that is the default and Im not sure exactly what it does)
    Slow Shutter: 1/8

Also what is AF and the purpose of the AF assist lamp
    Usually with concert photography it is best to use a high iso. It would not be uncommon for a professional shooting a concert to use 1600 iso. Typically 400 is used for indoor shots and 200 or less is used for outdoors or bright conditions. If your cameras highest iso rating is 400 and your shutter is 1/8 then its just not meant to be used in the type of setting typical with a night performance. If you really want to take decent shots with consistent results your best bet would be to buy a better camera.

AF is the auto-focusing feature built into most consumer grade cameras, typically they have an AF assist lamp that lights up your subject temporarily to help the auto-focus in low light conditions

I have a sony-cybershot DSC-W70 ... I love all the pics it's taken during the day but am still getting used to trying to take night time/low light pics that aren't all blown out white like an 80s music video. This is obviously user error, and I need to figure this out before April.

One thing I will suggest ... don't forget to watch the show .... sounds silly, but, I cannot tell you how many people I see fussing with their cameras so much they forget to WATCH THE SHOW ...

You bought a good camera. I have a Canon PowerShot A530.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Image Stabilization would be a huge bonus.

hey is it normal for this thing (nikon coolpix L5) to suck up batteries so quick? im thinking of returning because ive switched the batterys twice in the last 2 days and have only used it for a total of 2-3 hours. anyone have any suggestions on a similiar camera that treats batteries like batteries and not like fucking food?

what's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    hey is it normal for this thing (nikon coolpix L5) to suck up batteries so quick? im thinking of returning because ive switched the batterys twice in the last 2 days and have only used it for a total of 2-3 hours. anyone have any suggestions on a similiar camera that treats batteries like batteries and not like fucking food?
    what kind of batteries are you using? try using digital camera batteries, energizer makes good ones, or rechargeable.

I'm buying a camera soon for coachella too.
    I haven't got a clue what half this thread means but hopefully I'll do my homework and get a good one

Thanks.
    ...and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now you’ll say, “Wow, we LIVED!"

These work pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    If you plan on taking a lot of pictures, get a camera with a rechagable battery and buy a few batteries (last year i had 4 batteries). Get a big card so you can get tons of pictures and movies.

http://renegademartian-coachella2006...m/user/photos/

I managed last year with 2 batteries for each camera I had. The sony has a timer which tells you how long you have til it runs out and The Canon just dies when it does. Yes a big memory card is a must and make sure its a high write speed one because your camera will run more efficiently and make your battery last longer because of it..

how about some sample pics to go along with these camera suggestions?
    i am thinking of getting a CANON Power Shot S3 IS. anyone have any luck taking concert shots at night or in low light with this camera?

I have a Kodak & I LOVE it

Here's some pix I took with it at Coachella 2006

Last edited by gaypalmsprings; 03-31-2007 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by landa321 View Post
    how about some sample pics to go along with these camera suggestions?
    i am thinking of getting a CANON Power Shot S3 IS. anyone have any luck taking concert shots at night or in low light with this camera?
    Get it for sure, it wont let you down its a Canon.

Example with my camera a Canon SD630

Sony DSC T9

those pics are great! that two Yorke pics are excellent. I bought at Canon Power Shot S3 IS tonight. I am going to try it out and see if I like it. It is a 6 megapixel with 12X optical and it has ISO 800, so hopefully I should be able to get some good pics.

how close were you when you took all those pics?

The front of the railing or stage pretty much. You will have a field day with the Canon camera I will say that. Like take my little canon and give it a big lens and image stabalizer and thats what you have. My one thing is that it uses regular batteries. I know that they could make rechargeable lithium ion ones for their bigger models but they dont wanna do it, it baffles the mind.

yeah and it used 4 AA. I am going to have to stock up on those puppies.

by the way, everybody - DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR BATTERIES!
    RECYCLE THEM!