Thread: Contemplate and Respond Thoughtfully to This Remark from Torquil Campbell of Stars

Default Contemplate and Respond Thoughtfully to This Remark from Torquil Campbell of Stars

AVC: In response to Pitchfork's review of the new record, you wrote a pretty scathing blog post that included a line about art being dead. Do you still stand behind what you wrote?

TC: I simultaneously completely stand behind it and utterly disavow it. This is the thing about the fucking Internet—anybody can say anything, and sometimes what they say is profound and fascinating, and sometimes what they say is pretentious nonsense, and sometimes it's both at the same time. I don't need people to think I'm a nice guy or that I'm even a sane guy. I'm trying to make music and to write words and to operate as an artist in the public world by inciting feeling in people—inciting love, inciting hatred, inciting laughter. I feel like Stars gets criticized a lot for this aspect of who we are, that we are so forward in our wish to communicate, and we are so open about the fact that a lot of what we do is ludicrous and melodramatic and untrue and silly and all these things.

God bless Animal Collective, but they really have, in their own strange way, made indie rock a much more conservative place than it should be. If you can create intellectual distance from your work, then critics will feel clever for getting it and give you good marks; if you create music that fucked-up 13-year-old girls might enjoy, then critics will feel like you're trying too hard and not give you good marks. The Pitchfork phenomenon in particular is bizarre because it seems to have altered the fundamental way in which people get into music. I really do think that people should probably lose their virginity before they start writing reviews for Pitchfork. You should keep things in order in your life before you become an éminence grise—you should do some drugs and fall in love, and then start judging people. Because then you'd actually know something about life, as opposed to just being afraid of it and, you know, thinking Menomena are important.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Default Re: Contemplate and Respond Thoughtfully to This Remark from Torquil Campbell of Star

<3.

Default Re: Contemplate and Respond Thoughtfully to This Remark from Torquil Campbell of Star

i like cheesecake
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

i like this gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

I'm so glad that I love Stars.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Passive likes them? Alright, then his band must suck, shame that dude is in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

i really don't like stars very much...and the singer guy in particular...but after reading this statement...i respect them way more than i had previously. kinda like when i heard phil collins on this american life talk about heartbreak.

maybe this should have gone in the confessions thread.
    ))<>((

Passive likes them? Alright, then his band must suck, shame that dude is in them.
    Shame on you, man, shame on you for saying Portishead sucks.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Menomena have more passion and resolve in their music than Stars could ever imagine pulling together. That was a childish potshot that just shows that these guys are as obsolete as I thought they were when my 16 year old sister played a few of their songs for me. Trash.

How the fuck can you "respect" this guy more for taking juvenile swings at bands infinitely better than his band, as well as making ridiculous comments about virginity.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Shame on you, man, shame on you for saying Portishead sucks.
    No, I use you as a rule for bands that I've never heard of. If I've never heard of them and you like them, it's for the wrong reasons.

Also, based on Jared's defense of Menomena they clearly suck, but in a really arty way.

IN CONCLUSION: Both these bands suck, the only one winning in this thread is Yablo. And Radiohead.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    Menomena have more passion and resolve in their music than Stars could ever imagine pulling together. That was a childish potshot that just shows that these guys are as obsolete as I thought they were when my 16 year old sister played a few of their songs for me. Trash.

How the fuck can you "respect" this guy more for taking juvenile swings at bands infinitely better than his band, as well as making ridiculous comments about virginity.
    You feel clever?
    COCKSUCKER!

I'm with Torquill. Maybe it's because I've found Animal Collective to be overtly pretentious(save for Feels).

*shrug* I don't know Menomena, but the rest of the statement he made I agree with.
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    *shrug* I don't know Menomena, but the rest of the statement he made I agree with.
    i thought maybe i'd like them after I heard one of their songs, but they're kinda boring IMO

The recent Menomena album is one of the best of the year. The same cannot be said for Stars latest offering. (I much prefer the stuff he does with Memphis, although the previous Stars albums were pretty good).

Hating Pitchfork is fine, but badmouthing bands just because Pitchfork likes them is a bit childish.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

the guy is idealizing the past. there have always been trendy fucks. there have always been music fans overly influenced by what the critics write. it's not a new phenomenon let alone a "fundamental change in the way people get into music".
    Last edited by TomAz; 10-18-2007 at 12:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

i'm going to break the rules and like animal collective, menomena, and stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I like Menomena and Stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

the new Menomena CD was great...
    and i don't see why he took a shot at them, since Pitchfork isn't completely glommin over em and they aren't that popular yet

i don't think i have ever listened to the Stars
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

i've always thought that the music of Stars would be very suitable for a Broadway musical production

I'm not a huge fan of Stars, honestly, but I adore Torquil Campbell. I just don't groove with the band's music, but after seeing a video of him speak at the Future of Music Summit, I've decided that anything he says is worth hearing. I tend to root out interviews with him. Actually, that whole video is well worth watching and he discusses Pitchfork as well.

Watch it here, and do watch it, it's a really interesting discussion about modern music

What makes it extra interesting is that a certain Mr. Win Butler of another Canadian band now to be forever associated with Pitchfork is also there. And the girl on the panel has two of the best bandnames I've ever heard.