Thread: One Thing About Live DJs

Default One Thing About Live DJs

Often times when I see a DJ at a Rave (or Rave like event) or at a late night club (Vanguard, Avalon, etc.) it will just feel like one continuous similar song. I know that they want to keep a party going by keeping the vibe but when I'm at Nocturnal and Christopher Lawrence is playing electro and I can't distinguish him from the previous DJ I realize I could be seeing any DJ or listening to a live mix on a CD/DVD with no difference.

It's almost as if they could just hire an actor to stand up there and pretend like they are spinning with pre-recorded tracks playing.

This doesn't happen at say Coachella, Bonnaroo or a venue like the Troubadour or Echoplex just at Raves and late night dance clubs.

Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

yeah, I know... it's kind of like it's just bad music.

lol, i'm trying to find the point of this thread.. isn't it the dj's job to mix the previous record, including the last dj who played before him/her. Also, these events you are talking about they usually hire deejays with similar styles of music to play.. trust me.. you would notice if the previous deejay played deep house and the next dj played Ragga Jungle.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

whats a dj?
    lollipops and crisps

The point I was making is that I have never heard Christopher Lawrence play Electro in my life so it was just odd to me. I understand the point of going with the flow and being similar and mixing the previous one in but when there is nothing unique about their dj set what's the point? I understand they need to mix the previous record/cd/dvd whatever to move into their set but then they should bust out some fresh sounds. I don't want someone to change genres (go from house to ragga or whatever) I just want their set to really stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    The point I was making is that I have never heard Christopher Lawrence play Electro in my life so it was just odd to me. I understand the point of going with the flow and being similar and mixing the previous one in but when there is nothing unique about their dj set what's the point? I understand they need to mix the previous record/cd/dvd whatever to move into their set but then they should bust out some fresh sounds. I don't want someone to change genres (go from house to ragga or whatever) I just want their set to really stand out.

oh ok.. I misunderstood.. I just read the whole thing as "TECHNO MUSIC ALL SOUNDS THE SAME, EXCEPT AT COACHELLA"

I see your point now.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

Quote Originally Posted by AEversW View Post
    whats a dj?
    That would be a disc jockey.

i agree completely..justice dj set at detour licked balls
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival

not to be confused with VJ (video jockey)...

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    not to be confused with VJ (video jockey)...

Rofl.. I remember when he won that.. Jesse or something..

I miss Kennedy.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

i'm a dj and i recently realized there is so much more to it than playing records. I can mix, I can scratch, I have good selection, and I've played house parties that went off but I'd still consider myself a shit DJ. There's another level, past just playing records, where you're feeling your crowd and they're feeling you and you just put music together in a way that really does make it much more than the sum of its parts and everyone in the building is going to remember this for the rest of their lives. I don't even think you can learn that shit, I think it has to come straight out of your soul.

I feel like a hippie right now but really a good DJ can save your motherfucking live.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    i'm a dj and i recently realized there is so much more to it than playing records. I can mix, I can scratch, I have good selection, and I've played house parties that went off but I'd still consider myself a shit DJ. There's another level, past just playing records, where you're feeling your crowd and they're feeling you and you just put music together in a way that really does make it much more than the sum of its parts and everyone in the building is going to remember this for the rest of their lives. I don't even think you can learn that shit, I think it has to come straight out of your soul.

I feel like a hippie right now but really a good DJ can save your motherfucking live.
    self-important nobody. you and everyone else DJs. you and everyone else are obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post

so fucking right dude! I'm a DJ too sometimes it seriously comes to the point where its scary how right the next song feels. lol

hope that made sense
    Quote Originally Posted by breakjaw View Post
    I hope noone stab me with belt bucklez while I line dancing so fast in Skoal Tent,please peoplez!

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    That would be a disc jockey.
    whats a dj
    lollipops and crisps

hahahahahaa i was gonna post that song
    Quote Originally Posted by breakjaw View Post
    I hope noone stab me with belt bucklez while I line dancing so fast in Skoal Tent,please peoplez!

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    self-important nobody. you and everyone else DJs. you and everyone else are obsolete.
    hawr hawr hawr suck my dick you fat piece of shit

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post

I can't believe I've never seen that episode until now.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening