Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: One Thing About Live DJs

  1. #1
    Coachella Junkie Ardentbiscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,709

    Default One Thing About Live DJs

    Often times when I see a DJ at a Rave (or Rave like event) or at a late night club (Vanguard, Avalon, etc.) it will just feel like one continuous similar song. I know that they want to keep a party going by keeping the vibe but when I'm at Nocturnal and Christopher Lawrence is playing electro and I can't distinguish him from the previous DJ I realize I could be seeing any DJ or listening to a live mix on a CD/DVD with no difference.

    It's almost as if they could just hire an actor to stand up there and pretend like they are spinning with pre-recorded tracks playing.

    This doesn't happen at say Coachella, Bonnaroo or a venue like the Troubadour or Echoplex just at Raves and late night dance clubs.

  2. #2
    Brackish African wmgaretjax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18,553

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    yeah, I know... it's kind of like it's just bad music.

  3. #3
    old school instinct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    anaheim
    Posts
    2,735

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    lol, i'm trying to find the point of this thread.. isn't it the dj's job to mix the previous record, including the last dj who played before him/her. Also, these events you are talking about they usually hire deejays with similar styles of music to play.. trust me.. you would notice if the previous deejay played deep house and the next dj played Ragga Jungle.

    OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

    Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff



  4. #4
    Member AEversW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East Bakersfield, california
    Posts
    1,389

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    whats a dj?
    lollipops and crisps

  5. #5
    Coachella Junkie Ardentbiscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,709

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    The point I was making is that I have never heard Christopher Lawrence play Electro in my life so it was just odd to me. I understand the point of going with the flow and being similar and mixing the previous one in but when there is nothing unique about their dj set what's the point? I understand they need to mix the previous record/cd/dvd whatever to move into their set but then they should bust out some fresh sounds. I don't want someone to change genres (go from house to ragga or whatever) I just want their set to really stand out.

  6. #6
    old school instinct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    anaheim
    Posts
    2,735

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    The point I was making is that I have never heard Christopher Lawrence play Electro in my life so it was just odd to me. I understand the point of going with the flow and being similar and mixing the previous one in but when there is nothing unique about their dj set what's the point? I understand they need to mix the previous record/cd/dvd whatever to move into their set but then they should bust out some fresh sounds. I don't want someone to change genres (go from house to ragga or whatever) I just want their set to really stand out.

    oh ok.. I misunderstood.. I just read the whole thing as "TECHNO MUSIC ALL SOUNDS THE SAME, EXCEPT AT COACHELLA"

    I see your point now.

    OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

    Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff



  7. #7
    Coachella Junkie woogie846's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,662

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    Quote Originally Posted by AEversW View Post
    whats a dj?
    That would be a disc jockey.

  8. #8
    Member garrett222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I might be wrong
    Posts
    2,450

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    i agree completely..justice dj set at detour licked balls
    Upcoming Shows:

    Sasquatch Festival

  9. #9
    Bambi menikmati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    15,062

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    not to be confused with VJ (video jockey)...


  10. #10
    old school instinct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    anaheim
    Posts
    2,735

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    not to be confused with VJ (video jockey)...


    Rofl.. I remember when he won that.. Jesse or something..

    I miss Kennedy.

    OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

    Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff



  11. #11

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    i'm a dj and i recently realized there is so much more to it than playing records. I can mix, I can scratch, I have good selection, and I've played house parties that went off but I'd still consider myself a shit DJ. There's another level, past just playing records, where you're feeling your crowd and they're feeling you and you just put music together in a way that really does make it much more than the sum of its parts and everyone in the building is going to remember this for the rest of their lives. I don't even think you can learn that shit, I think it has to come straight out of your soul.

    I feel like a hippie right now but really a good DJ can save your motherfucking live.

  12. #12
    Brackish African wmgaretjax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18,553

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    i'm a dj and i recently realized there is so much more to it than playing records. I can mix, I can scratch, I have good selection, and I've played house parties that went off but I'd still consider myself a shit DJ. There's another level, past just playing records, where you're feeling your crowd and they're feeling you and you just put music together in a way that really does make it much more than the sum of its parts and everyone in the building is going to remember this for the rest of their lives. I don't even think you can learn that shit, I think it has to come straight out of your soul.

    I feel like a hippie right now but really a good DJ can save your motherfucking live.
    self-important nobody. you and everyone else DJs. you and everyone else are obsolete.

  13. #13
    Member Ill_Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Lock
    Posts
    1,476

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    i'm a dj and i recently realized there is so much more to it than playing records. I can mix, I can scratch, I have good selection, and I've played house parties that went off but I'd still consider myself a shit DJ. There's another level, past just playing records, where you're feeling your crowd and they're feeling you and you just put music together in a way that really does make it much more than the sum of its parts and everyone in the building is going to remember this for the rest of their lives. I don't even think you can learn that shit, I think it has to come straight out of your soul.

    I feel like a hippie right now but really a good DJ can save your motherfucking live.
    so fucking right dude! I'm a DJ too sometimes it seriously comes to the point where its scary how right the next song feels. lol

    hope that made sense
    Quote Originally Posted by breakjaw View Post
    I hope noone stab me with belt bucklez while I line dancing so fast in Skoal Tent,please peoplez!

  14. #14
    Member AEversW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East Bakersfield, california
    Posts
    1,389

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    That would be a disc jockey.
    whats a dj
    lollipops and crisps

  15. #15
    old school orbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,989

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs


  16. #16
    Member Ill_Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Lock
    Posts
    1,476

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    hahahahahaa i was gonna post that song
    Quote Originally Posted by breakjaw View Post
    I hope noone stab me with belt bucklez while I line dancing so fast in Skoal Tent,please peoplez!

  17. #17

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    self-important nobody. you and everyone else DJs. you and everyone else are obsolete.
    hawr hawr hawr suck my dick you fat piece of shit

  18. #18
    old school instinct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    anaheim
    Posts
    2,735

    Default Re: One Thing About Live DJs

    Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post

    I can't believe I've never seen that episode until now.

    OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

    Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff



Similar Threads

  1. One more thing.....
    By Deviate_420 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2007, 10:51 AM
  2. Ok here's the thing:
    By full on idle in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 10:22 AM
  3. If you do one thing...
    By Trick Loves The Kids in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 10:43 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-30-2007, 06:08 AM
  5. one thing i don't get...
    By AEversW in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 04:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •