Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why don't people want to camp??

Cool why don't people want to camp??

Am I missing something?? seems like a lot of people are getting hotels etc and not camping...this is our first year at the festival, coming from the UK....most people camp at festivals over here and just wondering if there is anything that I would need to be aware of that maybe I'm missing....

Cheers guys.x

Default Re: why don't people want to camp??

My first year as well...

From what I've read, camping is an outright blast. However, if you want all the comforts of home and are expecting to get your full 8 hours sleep every night, then it probably isn't the place for you.

camping it is for us ...I love the whole camping/festival experience!! Bring it on

don't worry plenty of people will camp. Camping tix always sell out.

Camping is cool and all, did it at Bonnaroo and we had fun but there is something about being able to go swimming or sit in a jacuzzi after being on your feet all day that makes staying at a house or hotel so much better. Plus waking up to the 90 degree heat at 6 in the morning is not my idea of a good time. I like beds too.

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    Camping is cool and all, did it at Bonnaroo and we had fun but there is something about being able to go swimming or sit in a jacuzzi after being on your feet all day that makes staying at a house or hotel so much better. Plus waking up to the 90 degree heat at 6 in the morning is not my idea of a good time. I like beds too.
    Coachella camping is made as comfortable as possible with food, hot showers, a bar, and soft level ground with no chance of Glasto style monsoons.

Many people, especially LA people, insist on air conditioning and having a chance to sit a parking lot traffic jam.

oh, and like shotglass said, waking up is the problem. It gets REALLY hot in your tent very early in the am, a hour or two after sunrise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by prettydirtything; 01-27-2007 at 01:26 PM.

We camped first time (2004) and it was a VERY mixed experience! Being very close to the special separate entrance, meeting people was all good. The 2 hour lines for showers, the security mayhem, the 100degrees in tent as soon as sun comes up, and the annoyingly loud partiers near us that were going LOUDLY non-stop till about 4am (meaning about 2 hours of sleep before the oven begins) every night but Sunday SUCKED...

Last couple years, staying at hotels included meeting people, pools/spas and a bar. ANd not too bad getting out at night but I heard horror stories from others who waited stuck in parking lot for hours before getting out...

I have friends camping this year and if it's gotten better as GV insists it has (more showers etc), I'll consider it for next year.

This will be my first yeat at Coachella (coming from Texas) and we have decided to camp. I have mixed feelings about it but since we are flying to CA, this is the best choice. How fast do the camping tix sell out? Is there anything important that we should know??? Thanks!

I heard you have to be quite at night and ou can't even smoke.
    The bee never gathers for tomorrow; today is enough unto itself

Banned

bottom line 3 days of camping is not my thing. need a bed and my own shower and bed to chill out after hrs and hrs in the sun. especially in the heat.. its all good. have fun and well drink some beer my friend!

Barbara, the ninja

I can't wait to camp! I'm ready to party! It seems so fun I hope everybody's nice and stuff. I plan to bring earplugs though, lol. I thought we SoCal people should be used to the heat.

I'm going to set up some solar cookers in the tent

Yipee! All my friends got their 3 day passes and camping tickets already! I love life!

I think I would be cheating myself if I didn't go camping again this year. The experience would not be the same. Anybody who can imagine not sleeping on a bed for three days confuses me. From what I have heard from people who have done both camping is the way to go. Plus it's infinitely cheaper and less of a hassle.

I have been to every coachella since it started, but I have never camped at the festival, and never will. But it looks like fun for anyone under their mid-20's Check out the Coachella movie, the funniest thing about it is the scene where those guys get all pissed about the fact that someone came through with a better tent than they did. Priceless!
    attended '01,'02,'04,'05,'06,'07,'08,'09,10

Quote Originally Posted by joebizz View Post
    I have been to every coachella since it started, but I have never camped at the festival, and never will. But it looks like fun for anyone under their mid-20's Check out the Coachella movie, the funniest thing about it is the scene where those guys get all pissed about the fact that someone came through with a better tent than they did. Priceless!

Yeah that tent was the s**t.... There is also somebody who puts up a teepee every year which is awesome.. Camping is fun and an experience, it all goes together. I am not saying"hotels rule camping sucks". But it all comes down to a persons preference. It is a bigger value I think in the end if you look at all your amenities given to you, and they improve every year so thats also a plus. I dont think I'll stay in a hotel until I maybe have a kid to bring along..

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Yeah that tent was the s**t.... There is also somebody who puts up a teepee every year which is awesome.. Camping is fun and an experience, it all goes together. I am not saying"hotels rule camping sucks". But it all comes down to a persons preference. It is a bigger value I think in the end if you look at all your amenities given to you, and they improve every year so thats also a plus. I dont think I'll stay in a hotel until I maybe have a kid to bring along..
    All I need is a heavenly bed at the Miramonte Resort, and I'm a happy camper.

hehe
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

This'll be my fourth year and my first year not camping. Ultimately, it just came down to the fact that I have so many people coming with me this year that it's cheaper to rent a house for three days. Camping is a blast, tho, and I'd recommend it to anyone. You won't sleep much, but you'll meet some awesome people and see some hilarious things. You'll be able to smoke, don't worry, and they don't follow sound curfew too strongly. Last year's camping was the first time I tried Vegemite (an experience)
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Talking Re: why don't people want to camp??

People love being able to wake up in the morning and getting so fresh and so clean!

i dont wanna drop the soap!

Quote Originally Posted by snugglebeats View Post
    I heard you have to be quite at night and ou can't even smoke.
    bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The teepee people are awesome! Very nice kids. I think they're from Vegas, they were near Camp At Ease in 2004. Are you people reading this? You rule.

I have camped the past three years, but will be at a hotel this year. I have never had a bad experience camping. In fact, camping has been an integral part of my Coachella experiences and I am a bit nervous that I will be losing a part of it this year.

But, for me, the fact of the matter is, I am getting older (29) and my body just isn't as resilient as it used to be, especially when you throw in an extra night of camping.

The showers at the campground are fine and, generally, it's not too loud out there. I have never had a problem getting alcohol in. You WILL meet great people - I have met some great friends camping - we still camp (lodge this year) with a friend from England that we first randomly met in '04 and host each other when we are in each others' country. Camping is great.

This year, it's just time for me to stay at a hotel.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

I used to camp at festivals, but got fed up with wading through a blanket of smoke, people shouting, playing bongos and tripping over your tent all night, wondering if the fire was gonna set your tent alight.....not fun.
    Sure I had good times, but Coahcella is different.
    I like getting back to my hotel in Palm Springs, getting some ice cold beers and sitting in the hot tub or pool with about 20 other people. It's awesome.... Traffic really isn't that bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
    I used to camp at festivals, but got fed up with wading through a blanket of smoke, people shouting, playing bongos and tripping over your tent all night, wondering if the fire was gonna set your tent alight.....not fun.
    Sure I had good times, but Coahcella is different.
    I like getting back to my hotel in Palm Springs, getting some ice cold beers and sitting in the hot tub or pool with about 20 other people. It's awesome.... Traffic really isn't that bad either.
    Fire's are allowed on the campground?

Not at Coachella. I think he's referring to English festivals.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

oh I see. I was thinking isn't the grass gonna catch on fire or something, lol.

Wink Re: why don't people want to camp??

This will be my first coachella, and I am camping. Sleep is for the weak.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by eric m View Post
    This will be my first coachella, and I am camping. Sleep is for the weak.
    I want you to remember you said that. See you on the board after the festival.

The smoke at British festivals is horrible. I had to walk through or by the campground at Reading years ago, and my eyes were tearing up from the campfire smoke. So I'm glad we can't have fires at Coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

DUDE I'm camping all alone because My friends are getting a Room

Quote Originally Posted by jerpar24 View Post
    DUDE I'm camping all alone because My friends are getting a Room
    You might wanna join them - 4 days in the desert is gonna rek ya
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011