Thread: Netherlands bans magic mushrooms

Default Netherlands bans magic mushrooms

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7041961.stm

The Dutch government is banning the sale of all magic mushrooms after a series of high-profile incidents involving tourists who had taken them.
    The decision will go into effect within several months, said a spokesman for the Dutch justice ministry.

A major Dutch producer of the psychedelic mushrooms said he stood to lose millions of euros as a result.

The Netherlands is famed for its liberal drugs policy, with marijuana openly sold in licensed cafes.

Magic mushrooms, more properly known as psilocybe, contain the psychedelic chemicals psilocybin and psilocin.

"We intend to forbid the sale of magic mushrooms," said justice ministry spokesman Wim van der Weegen.

"That means shops caught doing so will be closed."

Currently in the Netherlands the sale of dried magic mushrooms - in which the psychoactive chemicals psilocybin and psilocin are stronger - is banned but fresh mushrooms are allowed.

This is because it is more difficult to ascertain how much of the chemicals fresh mushrooms contain. But Mr Van der Weegen said this was exactly the issue.

"The problem with mushrooms is that their effect is unpredictable. It's impossible to estimate what amount will have what effect."

Calls for a re-evaluation of the drug grew after a 17-year-old French girl jumped from a building after eating magic mushrooms during a school trip to Amsterdam in March.

Other incidents involving the drug have included an Icelandic tourist jumping from a balcony and breaking both legs and a Danish tourist driving his car wildly through a camping ground, narrowly missing sleeping campers.

"It's a shame, the media really blew this up into a big issue," said Chloe Collette, owner of the FullMoon shop, which sells magic mushrooms in Amsterdam.

She said all the incidents had involved magic mushrooms in conjunction with other drugs.

Murat Kucuksen, whose farm supplies about half the magic mushrooms on sale in the Netherlands, said he stood to lose several million euros as a result of the ban.

Users of fresh mushrooms experience effects ranging from giggling fits and intensification of colours, lights and sounds to, more rarely, hallucinations. Negative effects can include vomiting, and anxiety.

Banned

Default Re: Netherlands bans magic mushrooms

That sucks. There has to be more to it.

Why could'nt they sell tourist cheap knock offs like we sell tourist when they come to LA?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

damn there goes my weekend canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Oh well, you can still get pure MDMA without much trouble. The shrooms will just stop being sold by the shops themselves--they'll have resident dealers who hang out and provide for the customers. Technically, weed actually isn't legal in Amsterdam either, they just have a "do not prosecute" policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Suuuuure Netherlands, you're "banning" mushrooms... They just wont sell them in the headshops anymore. Maybe still the "fesh" shrooms as stated in the article. You will still be able to get them easily. I mean shit, you can get coke, H, and mdma (woot!) with ease as it is. Praise be to Allah for the NL!
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

Godamn you RotaWang for beating me to the druggie punch...

Hahaha... SUCKA!

I still haven't actually been there, so if you have you technically have me beat.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Fuckin' A then! I would suggest that everyone visit the NL at least once in their life. Multiple times if you can swing it. It might be a little too "free" for you RSW. You might not make it outta there, for various reasons : )

Nah, I fully intend on moving there to write my second script. Ought to be exactly what I need. I just haven't had the cash/opportunity yet. You really need the right company to do that trip the way I'd want to.

i love the Netherlands. I was able visit last summer with my family for our vacation. it's nice having relatives that live there.

Amsterdam is one of my most favorite cities in the world, and it's not just the lovely drugs - but of course that's a substantial part of it. This news kinda sucks. You'll need to know locals or dive through the grime now to find these things.