Thread: How do Coachella & Sasquatch Festival match-up?

Hybrid View

Default How do Coachella & Sasquatch Festival match-up?

So Sasquatch Festival in Gorge, WA @ the infamous Gorge Amphitheatre is in my opinion, one of the greatest festivals in the world. The music, the people, the vibe..it's all there, and the effin backdrop is amazing. I've never been to Coachella, and am really only going to see The Roots & RATM.

So, those of you who have had the pleasure of experiencing the Quatch (Last year Queens of Stone Age rocked the effin house), and have been to Coachella, throw out some comparisons, and some shit that's totally different between them.

But nothing can take my stoke away from this event...

Default Re: How do Coachella & Sasquatch Festival match-up?

you haven't been to a festival till you've been to COACHELLA

Other than the blistering heat vs. the freak hail storm?

um... well... Coachella is set up quite differently... 5 or more stages, so you can walk from show to show and feel like you're out having a nice day...um.... yeah... it's upbeat... it's not put on by an anti-tobacco campaign... um... yep

I would go to Sasquatch just because of the name. That name rules.

Look into the sasquatch eye,
    Did you know that sass could fly?
    Sasquatch is my daddy and he's going to protect, me!

I live in WA state and have not been to Sasquatch, because I'm probably too old for that scene. I think the Coachella lineups are more diverse and much stronger and deeper. The best acts I've seen there are usually the ones I've never heard before.

sasquatch is OK. a lot cheaper. more laid back schedule. it's fun. not coachella by any means though.

Sasquatch has a better vibe as you're out in the middle of nowhere. The view out behind the stage down to the river is amazing. I miss less bands as there are only 3 stages and the smallest shuts down early. They also let you bring your own food & water in to the festival.

Coachella for the bands. Sasquatch for everything else.

I'm from washington (now in SF for job and school) and have been to 2 sasquatchs. the lineups are good and its really laid back but its more of a guitar based "rock" bands.

coachella is more eclectic in their line up. more electronic more hip hop with the guitar "rock" bands. the line ups (in my opinion) are better than sasquatch. its a little less laid back than sasquatch, you cant drink beer everywhere you go and its more expensive, but the food is better. and you dont need hot chocolate to warm you up.

the weather at the gorge is well hot or it hails buckets like it did last year. but the view is beautiful. one of the most beautiful venues in north america. there are more places to rest and hang out, and not as many ppl. your out in the middle of nowhere, so you have to go 40 miles one way or the other to get supplies, where as coachella is a few min down the road. depending on the traffic

coachella is beautiful too, mountains, palm trees. its beautiful at dusk. but its hot! but nice at night. coachella is packed full of ppl and not much shade, not as many places to sit like tables and what not.

both are good but both are different. but you have to go to coachella to experience it. at least once.

an ive been told, that you havent experienced a festival until you have gone to glastonbury. but coachella is the closest thing we have in north america to that.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Sasquatch is a tight festival though. My fav. was two summers ago. Kanye and the Pixies played sets that I'll never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Sasquatch is a tight festival though. My fav. was two summers ago. Kanye and the Pixies played sets that I'll never forget.
    The Arcade Fire were astounding that year. I had no idea who they were then.

........ and on the question of shade, there is little shade at Sasquatch either. It just doesn't get as hot usually.

I don't get about the complaint of lack of shade at Coachella. I had no trouble finding shade. If you're talking about lack of shade because they are no trees, realize this is a polo field.

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    I don't get about the complaint of lack of shade at Coachella. I had no trouble finding shade. If you're talking about lack of shade because they are no trees, realize this is a polo field.
    i wasnt compalining, i was just pointing it out. the shade tents are cool but they are packed. but if you put more of them at the polo field, it would clutter the place, and its the desert so i know there are few trees. and palms are oh so skinny. if you have ever been to the gorge, you know it is out in the open too but has more buildings therefor more shade. more places to go to get out of the sun they wanted to know the differences, thats one i noticed. just wanted to make a point, not a complaint

johnm1848

Any more comparisons on narc factor between the two?

camping booze enforcement comparisons are mostly what I am looking for.. thanks for any input!

Been to both. Sasquatch was way more relaxed in terms of camping and what you could bring in. The Gorge though is really just meant for one stage. They cram two more in but it doesn't really work too well. The layout at Coachella is miles better.

Agree with the comment that Coachella is far more eclectic.

Enjoyed both though. If the Sasq lineup is decent this year I'm sure I'll hit it again.

Booze enforcement at Sasquatch ? There is none. You can bring as much drink as you want into the campgrounds.

The biggest difference, is the size of the festival fields. Coachella is flat and a lot bigger then Sasquatch (Sas. 3 stages) (Coach 5 stages). But Sas lets you bring your whole car to the Camping area, whereas Coachella has a parking lot and you got to carry all of your shit in. So, they all even out to a glorious, musical, party experience. Whooo Hoo! the United States finally has music festivals that we can all rave about. Take that Europe!

It is going to be spendy going to both festivals. I assume Sasquatch will have a good lineup. The Gorge is breathe taking. I have never been to a Coachella but I get it will be amazing.
    Coachella has RATM to make it stand out plus lots more!
    Bonnaroo has The Police to make it stand out plus lots more!

So I wonder who Sasquatch will get?

Does anyone know when the lineup will be released? It was around 2/20 last year wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by jcconnors View Post
    The biggest difference, is the size of the festival fields. Coachella is flat and a lot bigger then Sasquatch (Sas. 3 stages) (Coach 5 stages). But Sas lets you bring your whole car to the Camping area, whereas Coachella has a parking lot and you got to carry all of your shit in. So, they all even out to a glorious, musical, party experience. Whooo Hoo! the United States finally has music festivals that we can all rave about. Take that Europe!

Yeah cause they make you pay like an insane fee PER DAY to even keep your car or RV parked where it is. Also you have to pay for showers. The gorge is beautiful though but it can get hot and there is barely any shade... Europe still is the prime place for festivals though. They have such long traidtions and legendary status around the world. Coachella is finally getting there and this is a hint of things to come if it took less than 3 weeks to sell it out..

I believe it's 2/20 this year too.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Do they even have a web site up for Sasquatch '07?

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Do they even have a web site up for Sasquatch '07?
    Nope, they are really bad in that regard. I found it on another site which I can now not find myself.

Behind the Redwood Curtain, Lost Coast Northern California

Never been to Sasquatch, or Washington for that matter. If you were talking about the Circle of Cysquatch, then I'd have a bit more to say.
    This forest is growing faster than I can tell.

bonnaroo > *

but i havent been to coachella yet
    Posted up like Andre Agassi on the tennis court

Lurker

I've been to both and the Gorge is infinatly better than the polo fields. The lineup at Coachella is usually better, but the atmosphere, the people, the camping, and just about everything else is better at Sasquatch.

Quote Originally Posted by _Alcoholic View Post
    So Sasquatch Festival in Gorge, WA @ the infamous Gorge Amphitheatre is in my opinion, one of the greatest festivals in the world. The music, the people, the vibe..it's all there, and the effin backdrop is amazing. I've never been to Coachella, and am really only going to see The Roots & RATM.

So, those of you who have had the pleasure of experiencing the Quatch (Last year Queens of Stone Age rocked the effin house), and have been to Coachella, throw out some comparisons, and some shit that's totally different between them.

But nothing can take my stoke away from this event...
    sasquatch is awesome and MAY be one of the greatest festivals..but what other festivals have you been to in order to form a comparison?