Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 213

Thread: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

  1. #1
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    First I want to stress that I wish for this thread to not be arguing about religion but rather discussion about a concept that fascinates me--"God," for lack of a better term.

    If you're of a particular religion, feel free to come by and represent if you like, but what I'm really looking for is what conclusions/beliefs/theories the rest of the boardies may have come to about what the nature of the higher power is (if there is one). The really useful posts are if what you believe is something you formed on your own, or at least outside of the major doctrines--taking bits and pieces from the major faiths is totally cool of course, and kinda unavoidable.

    I'll post mine a little later, giving the board the option to kill the thread quick if y'all don't give a fuck about this topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denvah
    Posts
    8,516

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    Science.

  3. #3
    Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Citty upon a Hille
    Posts
    15,979

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    high five!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

  4. #4
    old school superfiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    5,698

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

  5. #5
    Banned marooko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In your mouth!
    Posts
    19,687

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    my asshole is totally powerful.

  6. #6
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    Perfectly valid, although please, please let's not get into a debate about whether or not God exists because none of us know for sure and they're just silly. Forgot to include that in the preamble.

    Just out of curiosity--were you both always atheists, or did you become atheists as you got older? And do you think it's impossible for science and God to co-exist? Imagining for a moment not Jehova--this theoretical God need not have created the universe, or be omnipresent, omniscient, any of that. Are you saying you find the entire range of spirituality just too dubious or just the common idea of the God who sits on clouds and shit?

    I was myself from birth until I was about 17, my whole family are as well, and we considered the whole idea pretty stupid. I now get the "dumbass younger brother" look when I say spiritual-related shit in front of my siblings.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  7. #7
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    41,095

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    I can't help believing in God. I'd be even more lonely otherwise. I don't like religion though.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

  8. #8
    old school superfiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    5,698

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    spirituality and god are in no way one and the same...just a thought
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

  9. #9
    old school Tylerdurden31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY...the non-hipster part
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    i'm pretty sure i believe in god or some sort of higher power. I'm of the school of science being the how.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denvah
    Posts
    8,516

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    knowledge is my co-pilot.

    Science is to show reason to answer. Knowledge. Religion is a science, and vise versa. If you want to call it god higher power whatever. Religion is emotionally based. Faith in the unknown. Science detaches its self from those emotions to find answers to the questions. Just my opinion.

  11. #11
    old school superfiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    5,698

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    religion is a desire to create order. religion is whacked. belief is not. its liek that part in dogma when chris rock is talkign about it...lets see if i can dig it up on you tube...ok cant. but anyways, it he says it doesnt mater what you believe, its that you do that, just believe. which i can respect.

    on that note. im not really anything.
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

  12. #12
    old school orbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,989

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    Quote Originally Posted by superfiction View Post
    religion is a desire to create order. religion is whacked. belief is not. its liek that part in dogma when chris rock is talkign about it...lets see if i can dig it up on you tube...ok cant. but anyways, it he says it doesnt mater what you believe, its that you do that, just believe. which i can respect.

    on that note. im not really anything.
    But the absurdity/whackness of religion doesn't necessarily prove the non-existence of some kind of higher power.

  13. #13
    old school superfiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    5,698

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    yeah yeh. read the end of what i said. its not about what you believe its about believing.

    i just happen to not lean either way.
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

  14. #14
    Daft Punky Junkie BROKENDOLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,668

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    If I find myself at Vegoose on Saturday, I'll then be a firm believer that there is a God and combined with the science of Robots, I'll be in Heaven~ Amen.

  15. #15
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    20,102

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    I'm not a believer. The vastness of the universe prohibits my brain from accepting the idea of one great puppetmaster.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

  16. #16
    old school superfiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    5,698

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    i can tell that oncei leave for work and come home this thread is going to be way too big to sort through
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

  17. #17
    old school orbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,989

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$ View Post
    knowledge is my co-pilot.

    Science is to show reason to answer. Knowledge. Religion is a science, and vise versa. If you want to call it god higher power whatever. Religion is emotionally based. Faith in the unknown. Science detaches its self from those emotions to find answers to the questions. Just my opinion.
    Yeah, science is a cool god to chill out with. It doesn't require absolute proof.

    However, I do believe in a higher power/force/God but I cannot prove it, neither science can. I don't think I'm committing sort of intellectual suicide if I have some kind of non-scientific belief. I'm majoring in physics which makes it more interesting, well, at least for me.

  18. #18
    Member meyouseek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    LAX
    Posts
    1,229

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    I have observed that the world has suffered far less from ignorance than from pretensions to knowledge. It is not skeptics or explorers but fanatics and ideologues who menace decency and progress. No agnostic ever burned anyone at the stake or tortured a pagan, a heretic, or an unbeliever.
    – Daniel J. Boorstin

  19. #19
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Innerspace
    Posts
    3,408

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    God is based solely on faith.

  20. #20
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    Please, please, although I have no control over this thread I reiterate: I would appreciate it if we all refrained from the science vs. God argument. It's the most overly-treaded topic of conversation this century, and provokes too much hostility and self-righteousness on both sides eventually.

    spirituality and god are in no way one and the same...just a thought
    Totally get why you say this. But let's be clear that I'm using (and want y'all to try to use) "God" as just an easy terminology for any kind of higher power. This power need not be a "puppetmaster" as capt pointed out--I feel it's important for the discussion to not limit our thinking to the way the monotheistic belief systems we all grew up around or under (at least 99 percent of us--any Buddhists or Hindus around?).

    Now if you're saying that there is spirituality without some kind of larger combination of whatever "spirit" you're thinking of, like it all just stays separated and there's never a totality or balanced force that exists, I'd be interested to hear the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  21. #21
    Coachella Junkie summerkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,661

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    Quote Originally Posted by meyouseek View Post
    I have observed that the world has suffered far less from ignorance than from pretensions to knowledge. It is not skeptics or explorers but fanatics and ideologues who menace decency and progress. No agnostic ever burned anyone at the stake or tortured a pagan, a heretic, or an unbeliever.
    Daniel J. Boorstin
    I hate this argument that religion is the cause of so many deaths it seems shortsighted. When at its core is that humanity is fucking evil and religion just made it easier to get away with all of that and that if you take away religion they would just find another fucking reason to do what they did.
    The White Stripes 9/18

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denvah
    Posts
    8,516

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    Jedi.

  23. #23
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Innerspace
    Posts
    3,408

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    My therory on our existence (other than to pro create) is that we are here to appreciate the aesthetics of everything. The great creator created everything & came to the decision that there needed to be lifeforms that could appreciate creation and whalah some stars exploded, or we came from the primortial soup or we evolved whatever way you wanna see it. Everything around us is here for us to either appreciate aesthetically or was given to us for our advancement in knowledge & spirituality. Whether you beleive aliens dropped us off or you beleive in Christ, Buddah, whatever you cannot deny the vastness of space & our tiny role in the universe which is simply to appreciate it all while your here.
    Last edited by shoegazer76; 10-03-2007 at 01:00 PM.

  24. #24

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    I think relgion can be a good thing, and it can also be a very bad thing. Some things that come from religion, like spirituality, a sense of purpose, the feeling that things happen for a reason are all very good things. Someone on here said that they believe in God because they would be too lonely if they didn't, and I think that that is a very good thing that comes from relgion (the feeling of having a companion).

    At the same time, religion has also caused a lot of evil. Many people use religion to make themselves feel better than others and to persecute people who are different from themselves. The reason that gay people can not get married, and the reason that so many people are pro-life is because of religion. The intense homophobia that exists globally is a direct result of religion, and there have been many acts of genocide that were the result of religious differences.


    I don't believe believe in a God, and I am not religious myself. But I have always been curious about people who say "I am not religious, but I believe in God (or some kind of spiritual entity)." For those of you who have said that you feel this way (and I don't mean for this to sound condescending, I'm just curious about it), what do you believe that that God or spiritual being does?

  25. #25
    Member Ill_Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Lock
    Posts
    1,474

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    I believe in God.
    Quote Originally Posted by breakjaw View Post
    I hope noone stab me with belt bucklez while I line dancing so fast in Skoal Tent,please peoplez!

  26. #26
    Coachella Junkie summerkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,661

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    Okay my beliefs...so far it looks like i'm the only one answering Randy's question even though there has been quite a few posts.

    Okay I believe in God, Jesus Christ whatever I don't think it really matters what you call him/her/it. I do not believe in hell except in the metaphorical sense or that Earth is Hell, but a place you go after you die where there's fire and brimstone, and little devils running around nope don't believe in it. I find too many problems with there being a hell. If there is a hell and the only way to escape it is to believe in Jesus (which just seems downright silly) how the hell are you not going to judge people which is one of the primary teachings of Jesus. Also Jesus preaches love and forgiveness this contradicts his own teachings: how are we supposed to forgive those who fuck with us if Jesus can't even forgive people...who don't believe in him?. Another thing I got of reading the Bible was that each and everyone of us is complete utter shit so for one person to go to heaven and another to go to hell when are all shit just doesn't fly.
    The White Stripes 9/18

  27. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denvah
    Posts
    8,516

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    Yeah, science is a cool god to chill out with. It doesn't require absolute proof.

    However, I do believe in a higher power/force/God but I cannot prove it, neither science can. I don't think I'm committing sort of intellectual suicide if I have some kind of non-scientific belief. I'm majoring in physics which makes it more interesting, well, at least for me.
    Does this questions of spirituality/higher power come up much in your classes?

  28. #28
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Innerspace
    Posts
    3,408

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    I've heard the body acutally loses a very miniscule amount of mass at the exact point of dying which is supposedly your soul exiting your body.

  29. #29

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    I hate this argument that religion is the cause of so many deaths it seems shortsighted. When at its core is that humanity is fucking evil and religion just made it easier to get away with all of that and that if you take away religion they would just find another fucking reason to do what they did.
    I disagree. I think that when a person uses their religion to persecute other people, they are doing that completely subconsciously. Like, I don't think those people are thinking, "Gee, I'd really like act hatefully and violently toward some other people and make myself feel good about myself, but I'm not sure how to do that and rationalize it at the same time. I know! I'll just become religious!"

    I think those people become religious first, then learn about how some people in their religion persecute other people, and then they subconsciously realize that they would enjoy that feeling of power and superiority, and they act on it.

    I mean, there's no question that tons of people really truly believe that God thinks that being gay is evil and sinful, and they consequently act condescendingly or hatefully toward gay people.

  30. #30
    Banned marooko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In your mouth!
    Posts
    19,687

    Default Re: God/Yahweh/Higher Power/Deity/All-Powerful Asshole?

    Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    I hate this argument that religion is the cause of so many deaths it seems shortsighted. When at its core is that humanity is fucking evil and religion just made it easier to get away with all of that and that if you take away religion they would just find another fucking reason to do what they did.
    i completely agree with you, summerkid.

Similar Threads

  1. This Liangshuang Asshole Is Seriously Going To Bump Every Thread
    By RotationSlimWang in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 01:23 PM
  2. The Power of Lard
    By Mikey_FX in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 04:21 PM
  3. power on the campground!
    By Goliyth in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 07:16 AM
  4. I REQUEST SHY FX & T POWER
    By Teaginator in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2007, 05:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •