Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Running

Default Running

Can we talk about running now?

So I'm training for the Honolulu marathon and when I do long runs (2 hrs+) my hands swell up to freakish proportion. I don't think this is normal. Wtf?

Also that LCD Coachella bootleg is awesome listening on runs like woah.

Also I know I could go to a running forum or something but I <3 you guys.

Default Re: Running

I'm not a doctor, but I did do a google search...

There could be a couple of explanations for this (maybe more?) but this is what I've seen in my experience as an ultrarunner.

1. If you are walking / running properly, the centrifugal force generated by swinging your arms will gradually lead to edema in the hands. I see this to a minor extent in most every 100-miler I attempt -- the problem is later in the run, and usually during the cooler part of the day when I'm not sweating as much.

2. Electrolyte *imbalance*, mainly either too much or too little sodium. For most people, I would suspect the problem lies with too little salt, but for those using buffered electrolyte caps or other salt tablets, I've seen sodium overload occur (end up peeing a lot and you still can't get out all the water).

If you are not taking in adequate electrolytes, the imbalance in salt levels between the blood stream, the cells, and the extracellular spaces essentially results in a trapping of the water in the tissues as the sodium is lost in sweat. The same thing can happen if you are taking in too much salt. For those interested, look up "sodium-potassium pump" in a textbook of physiology to get you started.

I hope they don't pop before the end of the race.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Hey thanks Erik! You are very polite for not just being like, "go google it lazy." Because maybe I was a little lazy.

Ok, so secondary question then. Sports drinks? I pretty much never use them. Recommendations on what tastes good?

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I hope they don't pop before the end of the race.
    Ew I hope so too.

There seems to be like a million different sports drinks out there, so I'm sure anybody could recommend one over another for various reasons....whether any of them really work and have any effect? I dunno....but if I had to make recommendations on taste alone....the lemon-lime always seems to be a safe bet (whether its gatorade or the 20 different versions of gatorade -rain, frost, etc, or the Vitamin water 'Charge', or powerade, or propel fitness flavored water or whatever)...of course, you have to like lemon-lime flavor I guess...if not, there's always the fruit punch option, or the various berry flavors, or orange...or maybe you just prefer to have plain water (and the millions variants of that).

Usually, it's the lower extremities that swell first, but since they're being used in your running, the water has got to go somewhere...I used to run and have the same thing happen, but within a short time of cooling off,. I noticed the swelling went away. I think it happens more during the warm season...

Banned

Running is bad for you.

E

The electrolyte issue is huge and be sure to rebuild the system after a hard workout. Obviously, Gatorade is a great way to replenish and I would recommend Endurox after a workout to help your body recover.

I get the same thing. My finger tips feel like they are stretched and bulging. It's weird and a little unconfortable, but don't be alarmed.

That's awesome that you're gonna do the marathon. Kudos and good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
    Running is bad for you.

E
    So is being an a-hole.

Banned

Unless anyone here is a professional runner, > 10K distance[s], than I have logged the most kilometres and miles in this community. And running is bad for you. Period.

E

Unless anyone here is a professional runner, > 10K distance[s], than I have logged the most kilometres and miles in this community. And running is bad for you. Period.

E
    That's just idiotic. More than a 10K? Courtney is talking about a marathon. Maybe you should Google that sweetheart, before you make a bigger fool of yourself . . . again.

Coachella Junkie

Banned

I know how long is a marathon, you imbecile.

Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension.

I said, anyone who is a PROFESSIONAL RUNNER, at long distances [> 10 K], has more KM/miles than me. Anyone who ISN'T, doesn't. Do you need graphs/charts/.ppd to help you out?

E

Don't bait me Edwin.

Ahahaha awesome.

Also I think that means that Edwin is no match for me. Sayin.

I've run four marathons and have never experienced hand swelling... maybe you should just "raise the roof" for the duration of your run. Good luck!

<iframe src="http://www.iconator.com/box-one.php?id=1311377" width="96" height="96" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" background-color="transparent"></iframe>

figures Courtney is a runner ... total gal ... canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

sorry change that ... total person .. not just gal .. canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

E
    Why dont you be a fucking man instead of a prick for once and state the reasons why "running us bad for you. period." seriously yo, everyone knows the benefits of running. Prove it to the rest of us inferior thinkers...
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

E
    you think so? I have been running 25 miles a week for the past 14 years (jr. in high school).

I don't run marathons.

I doubt that in your short stint scrubbing latrines you amassed anything remotely close to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    I love this magazine.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Running long distances habitually is actually rather bad for you, Delt's right. It does a lot of damage (slowly, over time) to your lower body and puts your heart under an extreme amount of stress for longer periods of time than most other forms of exercise. Anybody else know about the guy back in the seventies who was kinda single-handedly responsible for the rise of jogging in the US? He put out some book, became famous promoting how running all these miles every day had made him so incredibly fit... then dropped dead of a heart attack in mid-job at the age of 35 or something like that.

Sweet irony.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

well running is bad for me at least. if you are above 6' i would not suggest running too often, it ruins your heels/knees/joints in general. the impact between foot and ground for a large person is too much. i had sever's disease when i was a kid so i never ran and did low shoe/ground impact exercises such as biking and swimming. so for me, running is bad.

Not a marathon runner but I love the high of running. It makes me feel alive. Different songs start playing in my head kind of like theme music.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I hate running-not to mention the fact that one of my knees is SUPER fucked up...but I've been planning on starting to train for a little mini marathon here in April (Pat's Run). I volunteer every year and this year, I saw a guy with TWO ARTIFICIAL ARMS AND TWO ARTIFICIAL LEGS running and I figured if he can do it, then I can.

Not sure how to start training, though. What do I do, just get off my ass and start running?
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

Don't run, it'll make your boobies sag.

My boobs are huge. They're going to sag regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I hate running-not to mention the fact that one of my knees is SUPER fucked up...but I've been planning on starting to train for a little mini marathon here in April (Pat's Run). I volunteer every year and this year, I saw a guy with TWO ARTIFICIAL ARMS AND TWO ARTIFICIAL LEGS running and I figured if he can do it, then I can.

Not sure how to start training, though. What do I do, just get off my ass and start running?
    I would recommend finding a running shoe store. It is important to have a good pair of shoes that fit specific to your feet. Most running shoe stores offer clinics to prepare you for marathons.

Here is a link to Runner's World http://www.runnersworld.com/0,7118,,00.html
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon