Thread: Home Theater Setups

Default Home Theater Setups

Anyone have a good home theater?

I was thinking about delving into that but worry that its too complex to do it right. If I did it, I would want to build it up piecemeal.

I was looking at the Onkyo TX SR605 receiver (editors choice on CNET) and it includes sirius radio connectivity. My question is: Is there a way to get sirius on there through the internet instead of with satellite so that the connection is stronger?

Could i connect my laptop playing sirius and have it digital through the speakers?

If i bought the Onkyo receiver, does it matter who the speakers are through? I have heard JBL speakers are good...thoughts??
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival

Default Re: Home Theater Setups

it won't matter who the speakers are through, you can hook any up to any reciever. Obviously, some are better than others.

My home set up is kinda weak...just because A) it doesn't have any true digital/DTS sound, and B) I don't have any subwoofer for my reciever.

Right now I have a sony receiver with a 5 disc CD player hooked up to it, DVD player, VCR, my digital cable box, and a shitty cassette deck. So I can watch any VHS, DVD, or regular TV in 'surround sound', but again, for DVD's, it's not true digital 5.1 sound..so eh, kinda confusing, kinda sucks.

I have some yahama speakers right now...2 towers, 2 rear, and I have a center speaker, but it's not yahama..don't know what kind off the top of my head.

I have two turntables (a technics, and an Onkyo) that I plan on hooking up, as well as a Onkyo graphic equalizer eventually too. But I would like to upgrade the dvd player first.

And our TV in the living room sucks, as its only a 26" Phillips, but it has NO video connections/inputs...just a coax jack...so it really complicates things and is pretty fucking shitty. All video signal to the TV (whether it be TV, DVD, VHS etc) is going through a coax cable, which is the shittiest reception you can get.

I'm curious though, would the connection be stronger through an internet connection onto your receiver rather than receiving Sirius through satellite? Are they both broadcast at the same kbs?

Why would you want to use the Sirius from the internet? You only get 1/3 the channels that are available. Definitely use the docking station.

even regular satellite radio is only stereo. no need for home theatre system.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

vinylmartyr

its time to leave the nest erik

mine is good and below average i guess ...

downstairs: Akai 1080I projection TV , 56" i think, audio and movies: panasonic , dts, hdmi connection, 1080p, 1000 watts but i think that is pushing it ... XBox, no not 360 , ... a thing that can play cds and vhs tapes ...

upstairs Vizio, LCD 48", 1080P , speakers, Boston Acoustic, all the way ,sub, and 4 others for 5.1, so no 7 yet ... reciever pioneer, HDMI connection , DTS, XM, SIRIUS ready but i dont do that ... PS3 Blue Ray for 1080P for games and vids .....

canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

vinylmartyr

hi erik

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

I've got an Onkyo receiver, the TX 503 or something like that and am very pleased with it. I am looking at new ones however that have HDMI switching, now that I have an HDTV (Panasonic TH-42PX60U). We are just running stereo for sound though, due to the size of the room the TV is in, and space restrictions.

To address one of your questions though, I am not sure how you would send digital audio from your laptop to the receiver, unless you had an external soundcard with a optical output or something. Anyway. Onkyo makes good stuff. Go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

it's hard to get good reception inside the house with Satellite Radio. I'd keep a satellite outside all the time, but then i can't lock the window
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival