Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: mountmccabe's shows thread

Default Re: mountmccabe's shows thread

The schedule for the SoCo Music Experience Tempe was in the latest New Times. This event is free and 21+

October 20, Tempe Marketplace (McClintock Avenue and Rio Salado Parkway)
    Doors at 2 pm

Main Stage
    3:00 - 4:00 - DJ William Reed (local)
    4:30 - 5:30 - Architecture in Helsinki
    6:00 - 7:00 - Sick Puppies
    7:30 - 8:30 - Girl Talk
    9:00 - 10:00 - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    10:30- 11:30 - Cold War Kids

Other Stage (I think these are all local artists)
    2:30 - 3:00 - Neba
    4:00 - 4:30 - Faucet
    5:30 - 6:00 - Army of Robots
    7:00 - 7:30 - the Love Blisters
    8:30 - 9:00 - Awake and Alert
    10:00 - 10:30 - Violet Wild
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

That's weird-they're having a two stage mini festival at an outdoor mall? I wonder why not Tempe Beach Park instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

I am betting it won't be the best of showgoing environments but I've only seen both Clap Your Hands and Girl Talk at Coachella so I'm excited for the chance to catch them again. And it should be cool to see Architecture in Helsinki as well.

And Neba were good enough to see again.

I'd like to see the Love Blisters again as well as Awake And Alert (partially so I can maybe not mix them up with Awesome anymore) but they're in the worst possible spots for leaving the main stage. Though I guess I'll see how the crowd is.

I'ven't seen Faucet (not even heard of them) or Army Of Robots (they might be worth seeing.)

I have no desire to see Violet Wild again. I can imagine seeing Cold War Kids again but I doubt I'll be in the mood for sticking around that long.

I'd kinda like to go, but I'm pretty sure it won't happen. I couldn't quite get into Girl Talk at Coachella, but I can see how they would be lots of fun if you're in the mood.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Knock 'em out the block, Aes, knock 'em out.

Woohoo!

I'm throwing a baby shower on that day but it's supposed to end at 6. Rick's going to be up here so maybe we can just come down after. I'll keep an eye out for you if we make it. I mean, shit, it's free. BTW if you're looking for a place to eat ahead of time, there's a pretty decent Vietnamese place open now on Mill called Dragonfly. Pretty good Pho.
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

Doors at 8:30 pm. Line all down the strip mall. I'mn't sure if it sold out but it had to be close.

Blockhead and DJ Signify go on about 9:50 pm and spin for about 35 minutes. The crowd sort of cares. Mostly when the songs are very recognizable, such as "Another One Bites the Dust."

The songs are all modified and changed with different beats and such. It was alright. It would've been better had the house PA been up at a reasonable level.

After a short break Black Moth Super Rainbow started up.

They had two people playing keys, a bassist, a drummer - up front and center - and this guy singing through a vocoder:

The drums were tom heavy and constant, the vocoder was the lead instrument, really. The songs were much more straightforward (structurally) than what I had expected. They were OK. They also were on about 35 minutes.

Shortly after they broke down their equipment DJ Big Wiz came out and got things going. He was quickly followed by Aesop Rock and Rob Sonic.

Their set was most of None Shall Pass plus a rushed version of "Lucy," "Fast Cars" and the encore, "Daylight." And several of Rob Sonic's songs that didn't strike me as anything special. Oh, and Aes did an unaccompanied version of... for the life of me I can't remember but it was a highlight.

The crowd was mostly cool and very much into it. Aesop and Rob were all over the place and seemed to be in good moods. Aesop laughed about how hot it had been last time he was here (I don't know when that was) and how nice it was out this time around.

Other than with "Lucy" I could easily hear what Aesop and Rob were rapping; the accompaniment could've been louder, though, especially with how full None Shall Pass sounds.

They were on about 75 minutes; it surprised me to figure that out after they were done; it seemed much shorter.

Also Colorstore is opening for Earlimart on October 22 so Man Man loses out. I mean I'll swing by the Rhythm Room to see if they're still on but wow I'd heard that Colorstore were all done with. This is such a win.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Knock 'em out the block, Aes, knock 'em out.

Woohoo!
    Man, I suck for missing this. I blame work and Three Olives.
    Quote Originally Posted by **NaNcY** View Post
    Phoenix the band?

Oh wow it's late. I need to go to sleep. But here is a picture from tonight's show:

It is Scout Niblett. It is crappy because it is a cellphone pic because I forgot my real camera.

She played for about an hour. The first three songs were her solo with effectsless guitar. They were "Dinosaur Egg," "Do You Wanna Be Buried With My People" and another from the new album, This Fool Can Die Now.

This album is one of my favorites of the year and has several songs that are duets with Will Oldham. He is the guy what was Palace/Palace Music/Palace Brothers and now records as Bonnie "Prince" Billy. His music is somewhat similar to Bill Callahan and Jason Molina. He is from Louisville and took the picture what is now Gabe's avatar. Well... ehh, you know what I mean. He was 20 and wouldn't release his first record for another 3 years.

At any rate he wasn't there. This is not surprising. What was surprising was how much I enjoyed the duet songs even without him. Like remember when Beth Orton played "Concrete Sky" on Letterman (can't find a YouTube) and my main response (after the initial "Fuckin' A! Beth Orton!") was that it showed how much Ryan Adams added to the studio version of that song? Well as much as I like the studio versions with Will singing I loved hearing these songs with just Emma singing.

Anyway after those songs her drummer came out and they played some louder songs. This means that they generally still started quiet and fragile and then there were bursts of simple but loud distortion and drum explosions.

The only songs played not from This Fool Can Die Now (I love this title) were "No-one's Wrong" and the closer, "Hot to Death." Oh, and a cover of "The Pine Tree" which was recorded by Johnny and June Carter Cash. She played about an hour with no encore.

The openers were Chris Koza from Minneapolis who played a set of near an hour of decent country-influenced pop/rock. There was no twang but at times the lead guitar almost sounded slidey. Chris played an acoustic. There was a guy what was playing piano. I was unexcited but it was pleasant.

The first band was My Feral Kin. I caught the last 3 or 4 songs of their set. They are a local indie pop/rock band. They didn't have great energy but the songs sounded good.

It was a low turnout (40? 50?) and they even set up chairs.

Your phone takes pretty good quality pictures considering that it's a phone. Also good review. Please carry on. I enjoy reading these.

Also you better be going to Architecture in Helsinki at the SoCo thing because win.

Thank you, I will continue.

And yes, I am quite interested in seeing Architecture in Helsinki; I'ven't seen them before.

Also, google street view of Modified Arts.

Thank you, I will continue.

And yes, I am quite interested in seeing Architecture in Helsinki; I'ven't seen them before.

Also, google street view of Modified Arts.
    I can't get enough of these reviews either. Keep 'em coming.

And does anyone else feel Architecture in Helsinki got screwed with a 4pm time slot? Now I gotta ditch out of work earlier than planned.

And how the fuck does Google have a view right into my front door?! This is too creepy...
    Phoenix the band?

That Scout Niblett video is probably my favorite of the year. So good.

To what Scout Niblett are you referring? I have not yet seen it.

The aforementioned duet.

Banned

ooooooo I will go see Scout Niblett in concert tonight.

The other Scout/Will duets are "Do You Wanna Be Buried With My People" (the opening 8 lines are from a folk song), "River of No Return" from the movie of the same name sung by Marylin Monroe and Robert Mitchum and then "Comfort You" which is a Van Morrison song.

Boris tonight!

I'd be at Boris but I really wanna catch that Winnie Ruth doc at Trunk Space in like 26 minutes. It's with puppets!

Maybe I'll head over if it ends early enough...
    Phoenix the band?

And wassup to the M-O-B. You going to Soco also?

BTW, Modeselektor at the Brickhouse tomorrow night. This show is gonna kiiilllll.
    Phoenix the band?

Dear Faux Show,

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to send someone through the very front of the crowd during the headliner's final song to pass out fliers? You really think that is a way to convince people to go to more of your shows?

Boggled,
    John

-------------

Dear Patrons of the Brickhouse,

I can understand that it's fun to hang out with friends and talk and that all other things being equal I can see how a bar with a band playing would be a congenial place for that. But c'mon, other people are there see the bands. There are times for talking; between sets, even comments between songs are reasonable. And plus if you're there drinking anyway you're over 21 so you can go outside if you want talk. Other than that please shut the fuck up.

Zip it,
    John

-------------

Dear Staff of Brickhouse/Chop Shop Grill,

Hi. I'll start this by saying I'mn't nearly as annoyed at you as I am at those I wrote to first but I'm still puzzled as to why you thought it was a good idea to start cleaning up - i.e. throwing away large amounts of glass bottles - during the headliner's encore. It might've worked if they had chosen something louder but they didn't so every bottle you threw onto the pile of bottles was audible to everyone in there.

I know you want to get out of there. I know you probably don't care about Boris. But... wow. Way to piss off your patrons.

Annoyed,
    John

-------------

To Whom It May Concern,

Reviews and some mostly low-light photos from the show'll be up this evening or tomorrow or something. I'lln't be going to Modeselektor because I can't imagine going back to the Brickhouse for another gig put on by Faux Show tonight.

Gotta work and all,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Dear Brickhouse,

Modified Arts 4EVAH!

nah nah,
    Courtney

Dear Patrons of the Brickhouse,
    .... Other than that please shut the fuck up.
    This annoys me to no end. I'm pretty good about shutting up people around me during quiet performances but it amazes me how many people feel they can just fuck with others' music experiences with their loud and (usually) inane convos.

They must have really been carrying on. I can't recall you ever dropping an F-bomb in a post before.
    Phoenix the band?

How was Boris? JOHN HOW WAS BORIS
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

I think I've only gone to 1 show at Modified (when it first opened). I am so ashamed.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

OK so Damon & Naomi were a mellow folk group. They had a cellist and a soprano saxophonist and Damon and Noami and also Michio Kurihara.

Damon and Naomi were in Galaxie 500. Michio Kurihara is in Ghost. He plays guitar. He does so fucking awesomely. Honestly this would've been a bit dull without his awesomeness on the guitar.

The songs were sparse, stark folk songs with a bit of a light free jazz feel with the soprano sax and cello there. To these simple, bare melodies Kurihara added a bit of edge with his noisy but restrained guitar work.

They played about an hour to a fairly unresponsive crowd. The folks in the back (the 21+ section) talked and ignored them. The crowd up front would clap politely but showed no excitement. Though I guess this isn't the sort of music that expires shouts and "woohoos!"

At 10:30 pm Boris started. Michio Kurihara played with them, too.

There was smoke. And there was noise. There was a fuckload of noise. It started out very tough to follow. Maybe I was in a bad spot for sound or maybe they just took some time to figure out what they were doing but it took me about 20 minutes to like it at all. I seriously considered walking out.

But I didn't. I moved to a different spot and maybe the mix was better there (closer to the amps for Wata and Atsuo) but I all of a sudden I could hear her guitar! And I could hear more than just the hardware from the drumkit! And I started to be able to follow the noise they were making... and... and... wow. Just wow.

There were three guitarists (and four guitar necks) up on stage and one (yelping) drummer... they produced an immense volume of noise... and once I figured out what was going on it was awesome. It wasn't quite slanted towards the beautiful side but it was definitely good stuff.

They played for a total of about 80 minutes, and, as seen from the setlist below the set focused on songs from their collaboration album with Michio Kurihara.

So yeah, it was interesting. It went from "what the hell is this shit?" to "how the hell are they so good?" rather quickly. Though maybe it just took until they played an Akuma No Uta song that I really got into it.

Setlist (I took a pic of one some other person grabbed)
    Rafflesia
    Rainbow
    Starship narrator
    PINK
    Furi
    Time To Go
    Sun Flower Rain
    Sweet No 1
    My Rain
    You Put Up Your Umbrella
    Just Abandoned My Self
    Farewell
    [encore song: Wata did vocals but they already played "Rainbow" so it wasn't that.]

The crowd couldn't've been more than 200 and might not've been much over 100. They had a ton of merch and it was mostly very expensive, like $25 for a vinyl copy of Rainbow. Or ten times that for the special edition (on clear vinyl, with a bonus disc with two 20 minute tracks, a book and DVD.)

Also just to be clear I've switched to Flickr for most of my photohosting needs and I'm putting more up there than I'm posting here. So that means that for the Jesu show and the Aesop Rock show and the Boris show there're more photos there if you wanna see 'em. Follow the photo links for your further photographical needs.

I am listening to the new Blockhead album and really really really regretting not going to Aesop last weekend.
    Phoenix the band?

Hey John, I was at the Tempe Marketplace this afternoon-they're setting up the stages on the north side of the mall-north of Target, Barnes and Noble...FYI.