Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 900 of 1134

Thread: Computer SOS!

  1. #871
    Coachella Junkie PlayaDelWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Posts
    7,337

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Not sure what's up. Yesterday before I left the office I changed the power option to never turn off my monitors. Logged in from home last night and came in this morning. Both of my monitors were on and I was able to log in easily. It worked. So I went to double check my power options and it's been reverted back to turning them off after 30 minutes.

    Whatever. I'm sure at this point it has something to do with that Nightwatchman bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

  2. #872
    old school downingthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    5,537

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    5 years. Ha. Okay buddy, wanna bet 5 grand on that?

    And of course you haven't actually done it. You're sales. AD/Exchange migration is easy to move to a hosted solution. There's been hosted Exchange for almost a decade and AD is easy enough to transfer to a cloud solution because you can configure Active Directory to call to an external source. You should stick to giving advice about those things and just shut the fuck up about technologies that you have no experience with. As much as you accuse me of thinking that I know everything, I wouldn't dare hop in to a conversation that actually pertained to enterprise-level cloud storage because it's not something I'm an authority on.

    You jumped in to suggest a solution to a technology that you don't understand in the slightest. Don't try and fucking defend yourself by attacking me. You got out of pocket and it was a douchebag move. Just accept the fact that you should have shut the fuck up because the subject matter had zero relevance to your realm of quasi-understanding. That's all I'm saying.

    Now man the fuck up and admit that you were pimping your business without really grasping the realities involved and bow out. Do the adult thing.
    Make it 10 grand. I'll endorse a solution that I constructed along with 2 certified EMC engineers (one of which ran a Data center for a Fortune 500 company, and was a design architect for EMC). It was also endorsed by the EMC rep for the account. He let us do all the work because of our knowledge base. In addition, this solution was presented to the entire Western Region at EMC as a case study on how to win against NetAPP as well as Nimble (they presented a solution as well).

    On the "jump in", if you read what I wrote...what I suggested wasn't a solution. Just was an observation on his VPN issues. I read into it more as something collaborative. To your point, again I agree with you as I stated earlier, I don't know about Wes' company.

    I am sales, and consulting. If I were just sales, I wouldn't have lasted as long as I have. You can consult and not do the implementation. Happens all the time in this industry. This particular client's Exchange migration was a mess because they are a Community College, so the staff and student email were separate (student email was around 5000 addresses). We had to keep the 2003 active as we moved the 2010.

  3. #873
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Not sure what's up. Yesterday before I left the office I changed the power option to never turn off my monitors. Logged in from home last night and came in this morning. Both of my monitors were on and I was able to log in easily. It worked. So I went to double check my power options and it's been reverted back to turning them off after 30 minutes.

    Whatever. I'm sure at this point it has something to do with that Nightwatchman bug.
    That is interesting and super odd that it would really just be the monitor off setting. In all likelihood anything you change in those settings will be reverted by a system policy/that application. Frankly I'm surprised you can change those settings at all, usually group policy would prevent you but i guess they leave those options up to nightwatchman instead of setting them in AD. Did you tell IT about your discovery? I don't know that application but maybe there's a way to set an exemption for your machine.

  4. #874
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    Make it 10 grand. I'll endorse a solution that I constructed along with 2 certified EMC engineers (one of which ran a Data center for a Fortune 500 company, and was a design architect for EMC). It was also endorsed by the EMC rep for the account. He let us do all the work because of our knowledge base. In addition, this solution was presented to the entire Western Region at EMC as a case study on how to win against NetAPP as well as Nimble (they presented a solution as well).

    On the "jump in", if you read what I wrote...what I suggested wasn't a solution. Just was an observation on his VPN issues. I read into it more as something collaborative. To your point, again I agree with you as I stated earlier, I don't know about Wes' company.

    I am sales, and consulting. If I were just sales, I wouldn't have lasted as long as I have. You can consult and not do the implementation. Happens all the time in this industry. This particular client's Exchange migration was a mess because they are a Community College, so the staff and student email were separate (student email was around 5000 addresses). We had to keep the 2003 active as we moved the 2010.
    It's a bet. Whatever you have in place now will be replaced within 3 years. Your response to his VPN issue was irrelevant blabber.

  5. #875

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    I have to agree with Randy on this one. Reading about Wes' setup and then suggesting some cloud based document collaboration bullshit is the typical ignorant sales diarrhea I hear all the time in this industry and it is annoying as fuck. Sales guys hardly ever have the technical expertise to actually recommend the right product for a client. Claiming you have this expertise when you think your product could actually be a replacement for Wes' high end dev box that connects to internal SQL DBs simply shows just how full of shit you are. Nothing personal against you, but I just see this shit way too often. Sales guy gets some dumb ass manager or director all pumped on some product, neither of them know shit about the technical aspects or that there's actually better ways, then sys admin gets stuck trying to fit a round peg in a square hole, and everybody loses, except sales guy who just cashed in.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

  6. #876
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,769

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    If "everybody loses" why do they continue to pay the sales guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  7. #877
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    What's the alternative? Find a sales guy who isn't a dumb dick? Good luck.

  8. #878

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Because they don't know they are losing. They have no idea there is a much better product for them that costs half as much. And once its purchased, IT guy doesn't want to tell his boss what a dumb ass purchase he just made.

    And you are assuming that everybody who gets paid is actually earning it. Judging by how much time you spend on these boards at work, surely you know getting paid has nothing to do with being good at your job.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

  9. #879

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    this thread, and reflecting on the recent Tech Data IT Conference in Florida where it was comprised of at least 90% sausages, is getting me more and more excited for the new wave of female network engineers out there. A lot of times good looking women are asking how to fix things, these girls are already smarter than you. Navigating with ease through IP settings is similar to the beauty of seeing a well dressed Italian donna weave through traffic on a scooter. Examples:

    An Israeli I insulted by texting a request for a breast pic one night (we had hung out by the pool all afternoon beforehand. She said "it feels good" when I put an ice cube on her navel as we both watched it melt. She brought up her hair removal machine as the only item of value in her hotel room. Then I get a "not cool" when you are out that evening with another guy. Pfft. But she is very smart per her Linked In page)


    Interviewing this girl on Thursday for a part time position in my company. She called me back after I'd left a message with the job inquiry on her robotic vmail. Our initial phone conversation: "This is Arune" "Excuse me?" "Arune. This is Arune" "Sorry, having trouble understanding. You are breaking up a bit". She wasn't breaking up at all, I had just assumed Arune was a man originally. I want to hire this girl. I want a sexy, smart female engineer whom customers will look forward to seeing. Not the typical dime-a-dozen ugly sausages.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

  10. #880
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    ... What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

  11. #881
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    9,847

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    you're obsolete.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  12. #882

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    If "everybody loses" why do they continue to pay the sales guys?
    Capitalism?

  13. #883
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,769

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    Because they don't know they are losing. They have no idea there is a much better product for them that costs half as much. And once its purchased, IT guy doesn't want to tell his boss what a dumb ass purchase he just made.

    And you are assuming that everybody who gets paid is actually earning it. Judging by how much time you spend on these boards at work, surely you know getting paid has nothing to do with being good at your job.
    It takes an IT mentality to assume that businessmen don't know how to run a business, that the laws of economics don't apply, and that pretty much everybody is stupid except the fat poorly dressed IT guy with the messy office. That the only thing that adds value is technical competence.

    And I can assure you I am among the best in the US at what I do.
    Last edited by TomAz; 05-31-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  14. #884
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    I'm mystified as to how Tom became the enemy here.

  15. #885
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,769

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Because I asked why salesmen get paid like they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  16. #886
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    And then you got sexecutioned!

    Seriously though, Tom... Sales people aren't exactly the most considerate, honest, or scrupulous individuals.

  17. #887

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    ... What the fuck does that have to do with anything?
    was offering a job after you get breast implants and a wig
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

  18. #888
    old school nosurprises12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    3,859

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    When backing up my files yesterday somehow my Western Digital external HD made a duplicate of all the files I had on there already. Short of going through every folder and doing so manually, can anyone recommend a relatively easier way to delete the duplicates?
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

  19. #889
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,332

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Throw the hard drive out a window. That should take care of any duplicates.

  20. #890
    old school nosurprises12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    3,859

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Do I have to download any extra RAM to do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

  21. #891
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,332

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    It's probably a good idea for better weight distribution.

  22. #892
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    When backing up my files yesterday somehow my Western Digital external HD made a duplicate of all the files I had on there already. Short of going through every folder and doing so manually, can anyone recommend a relatively easier way to delete the duplicates?
    If it would be okay to just delete anything on the drive with a created by date of yesterday, i can prob write you a script to do it

  23. #893
    Member LiquidL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    When backing up my files yesterday somehow my Western Digital external HD made a duplicate of all the files I had on there already. Short of going through every folder and doing so manually, can anyone recommend a relatively easier way to delete the duplicates?
    If it's not too onerous of a task, it's probably better to back up again but fix the settings so it doesn't duplicate.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I

  24. #894
    old school nosurprises12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    3,859

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    If it would be okay to just delete anything on the drive with a created by date of yesterday, i can prob write you a script to do it
    I appreciate the offer, but what's a bit strange is that the created and modified dates listed for the original and duplicate files are the same; what's different is that the file name has a long string of letters and numbers with @ before it.

    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidL View Post
    If it's not too onerous of a task, it's probably better to back up again but fix the settings so it doesn't duplicate.
    I thought about this too, but there are some things on the external which aren't on my computer's hard drive as it was getting full. I suppose I could just copy them back to my computer and then clear/back-up the external.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

  25. #895
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    12,772

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    What's the drive letter of your backup drive? I'm done with the file, I can send you a link to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  26. #896
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    12,772

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    I don't see how that's possible. You open up the properties of one of the folders that just got copied yesterday and you're telling me the Created Date is not yesterday?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  27. #897
    Member LiquidL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I don't see how that's possible. You open up the properties of one of the folders that just got copied yesterday and you're telling me the Created Date is not yesterday?
    I have seen this before and it's the first thing that went though my mind when you offered a script solution. If he did a raw imaging of the disk, meaning reading the raw sectors directly and saved them on the external drive then the file mod and create will not be updated (since the OS does that but it has been bypassed).
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I

  28. #898
    old school nosurprises12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    3,859

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    I just got this thing back up and working again and kind of stumbled on this issue kind of by accident, so it is entirely possible that I somehow told it to create two files when it saved over initially and just never noticed until now. Some of the documents on the external which I have made changes to on the "computer version" of the file have different modified dates, so I guess it's just the ones I haven't changed which have the same dates.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

  29. #899
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    12,772

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    I just got this thing back up and working again and kind of stumbled on this issue kind of by accident, so it is entirely possible that I somehow told it to create two files when it saved over initially and just never noticed until now. Some of the documents on the external which I have made changes to on the "computer version" of the file have different modified dates, so I guess it's just the ones I haven't changed which have the same dates.
    But answer my question specifically--go to one of the folders that's a dupe you made yesterday, right-click, click Properties, what is the Created Date?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  30. #900
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    12,772

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidL View Post
    I have seen this before and it's the first thing that went though my mind when you offered a script solution. If he did a raw imaging of the disk, meaning reading the raw sectors directly and saved them on the external drive then the file mod and create will not be updated (since the OS does that but it has been bypassed).
    I suppose. I mean, I'm not arguing that your scenario is accurate if he was using an imaging solution, but something still feels off.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Similar Threads

  1. Computer question
    By Somewhat Damaged in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 10:40 AM
  2. OK Computer Tribute Album
    By luckyface in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 02:13 PM
  3. Stereogum Presents...OKX: A Tribute to OK Computer
    By Tylerdurden31 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 12:20 PM
  4. I'm looking for a computer program...
    By Good Days Last in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 12:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •