Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer SOS!

Default Re: Computer SOS!

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Dude, seriously, I don't really want to argue with you.
    disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

It wouldn't be that interesting of an argument. Plus I'm not going to sit here explaining how a network works to someone who's supposedly been doing IT consulting for 16 years yet somehow doesn't get how his answer was a retarded response.

What do you really do,Sean? Sales?

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    That is some fucking pathetic IT support.
    this is a sentence we can all relate to.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Oh wow, so it happens even that close together? You remote in and 20 minutes later the system doesn't respond? That's wacky. And you said you'd tried actually logging off from the remote session in addition to just closing the window, right? That's wacky.

Do you know the details of what P&G uses it for are? 'Cause I'll bet you 5000 that they don't use it for everything. Document collaboration is one thing--SQL server/client configurations are another.

Dude, seriously, I don't really want to argue with you, but you're talking about something you don't really understand enough. I don't want to get into a big, boring, geeky breakdown of why what you're saying is more complicated than you think it is, how about you just take my word for it?

Not to mention the fact that you know nothing about Wes's company, their applications, their existing server structure, or any of the myriad factors that would determine whether or not they could even support such a change.
    I agree with some of your points, hence why I said every business is different. I was only offering an alternative to consider.
    You absolutely can use a collaborative tool that is intuitive enough to share. Obviously, the creation of said document is not what I was referring to. Wes was saying he had issues with accessing.

It wouldn't be that interesting of an argument. Plus I'm not going to sit here explaining how a network works to someone who's supposedly been doing IT consulting for 16 years yet somehow doesn't get how his answer was a retarded response.

What do you really do,Sean? Sales?
    As I said, iT sales/consulting. I'm not an engineer, nor do I pretend to be. I go into meetings with directors, CIO's, CEO's etc as a resource for business applications as it relates to IT. Something like a cloud based collaborative tool is something that isn't decided at your level (no offense...I couldn't do what you do), And many times isn't initiated by IT. Many IT staffs fear the Cloud because it could make positions obsolete.

You were offering an alternative to consider to someone who has absolutely no say in the matter. Your response is the equivalent of the following:

WES: Hey message board, does anyone know why my Windows desktop at work doesn't come back to life after I've been remoted in via Remote Desktop?

SEAN: Your company should change to Macs. Then you wouldn't have to use Remote Desktop Connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

You were offering an alternative to consider to someone who has absolutely no say in the matter. Your response is the equivalent of the following:

WES: Hey message board, does anyone know why my Windows desktop at work doesn't come back to life after I've been remoted in via Remote Desktop?

SEAN: Your company should change to Macs. Then you wouldn't have to use Remote Desktop Connection.
    Every situation is different. I just got a client to try 100 licenses that was first initiated by a low level Sales Manager. Normally, someone like that has next to know influence. But, that person walks into a CFO's office, says "Hey, look at this. It would save us $$". Happens more often than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    As I said, iT sales/consulting. I'm not an engineer, nor do I pretend to be. I go into meetings with directors, CIO's, CEO's etc as a resource for business applications as it relates to IT. Something like a cloud based collaborative tool is something that isn't decided at your level (no offense...I couldn't do what you do), And many times isn't initiated by IT. Many IT staffs fear the Cloud because it could make positions obsolete.
    You don't know what level I'm at, thanks. You also just don't know what the fuck you're talking about in general. A "collaborative tool" is a completely different beast from a database application. The fact that he uses spreadsheets is the tip of the iceberg for what his company's setup is. Being able to access the spreadsheet isn't the problem. The spreadsheet has cells in it with formulas that make calls to certain tables on a database server(s) within their network. These cells are defined with certain values that make sense on their local network. If you move those spreadsheets to a cloud server, guess what happens? Those values make no sense. Everything needs to be rebuilt. The firewall has to be configured completely differently to permit external traffic to those database servers which is a pretty significant security concern. Literally everything about the way the process works has to change.

In summary, all we are saying is that instead of :
    Check into using something like box.com for your file collaborations. Has nothing to do with size. All the storage is hosted, and you can make changes from anywhere; smartphone, ipad, etc. It's not a "commercial" product like Drop Box. More secure, business intuitive.
    something along these lines would be more appropriate:

I don’t know about THAT, but let me tell you about a brand new, revolutionary product that people everywhere are really starting to talk about ...
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Actually I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying stick your uninformed sales pitch up your big fat ass.

Actually I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying stick your uninformed sales pitch up your big fat ass.
    Ha ha. My uninformed sales pitch must be doing something right. Now, go address the backed up help desk tickets while the adults talk business strategy.

Actually I do actual IT consulting--meaning not only do I help businesses grow profitably through the smart use of technology (which i sell them), but I also ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT WHAT I'M SELLING. Which is a hell of a relief to all the businesses I encounter who are so fucking tired of dipshits like you who sell them a product that isn't fit for their needs because you don't understand what is actually best for a company because you don't understand the tech.

Nice business strategy, dipshit. "Even though I understand nothing about your industry, infrastructure, needs, or really anything whatsoever, I think what you need to is to purchase my company's cloud services, because they're SO much better for what you're trying to accomplish (except that I don't understand anything about what you're trying to accomplish because I'm just a sales asshole who doesn't understand how computers work)."

Actually I do actual IT consulting--meaning not only do I help businesses grow profitably through the smart use of technology (which i sell them), but I also ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT WHAT I'M SELLING. Which is a hell of a relief to all the businesses I encounter who are so fucking tired of dipshits like you who sell them a product that isn't fit for their needs because you don't understand what is actually best for a company because you don't understand the tech.

Nice business strategy, dipshit. "Even though I understand nothing about your industry, infrastructure, needs, or really anything whatsoever, I think what you need to is to purchase my company's cloud services, because they're SO much better for what you're trying to accomplish (except that I don't understand anything about what you're trying to accomplish because I'm just a sales asshole who doesn't understand how computers work)."
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Right, Randy. I take business from blowhards like you all the time. I'll put my track record of new business and recurring business up against yours all day, every day. I understand more than enough, or I wouldn't be able to do what I do for as long or be as successful. The thing is, I know my limitations, so I surround myself with team members that are vastly superior to you in every way. I don't pretend to know everything like you, because I guarantee you...you don't.

Love ya, hugs and kisses, yada yada.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Uh huh. That's a great retort-give terrible, self-interested advice that's utterly useless, and then when you get called on your shit just revert back to your confidence in how much better your "team" is than I am. And yeah, i have to deal with people like you all the time too--some know-nothing bullshit artist fills clients heads with a sales pitch that is of no use to them whatsoever and then my side of things has to explain that sales people are liars who don't understand what they're selling in the slightest.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I fucking hate sales people.

Uh huh. That's a great retort-give terrible, self-interested advice that's utterly useless, and then when you get called on your shit just revert back to your confidence in how much better your "team" is than I am. And yeah, i have to deal with people like you all the time too--some know-nothing bullshit artist fills clients heads with a sales pitch that is of no use to them whatsoever and then my side of things has to explain that sales people are liars who don't understand what they're selling in the slightest.
    Eh, like I said. Must be doing something right. Clients have trusted me for 10+ years or more. Clients that transition from an archaic NetApp appliance supporting 2000 people (that some "dipshit" talked them into) to an EMC 3 array solution that will scale with them for years. With more iops, better user interface, and the ability for the system to transition from pool to pool on its own based on the amount of file access. That was solution was presented after three meetings, a few Visio designs, etc. Next up is there VDI project. But, of course, I have no idea what I talking about because you say so.

Not everything is as it seems, Randy dear.

VigoTheCarpathian

You know, randy and shaker are brilliant industrialists who can't be bothered with every aspect of a successful enterprise.

Eh, like I said. Must be doing something right. Clients have trusted me for 10+ years or more. Clients that transition from an archaic NetApp appliance supporting 2000 people (that some "dipshit" talked them into) to an EMC 3 array solution that will scale with them for years. With more iops, better user interface, and the ability for the system to transition from pool to pool on its own based on the amount of file access. That was solution was presented after three meetings, a few Visio designs, etc. Next up is there VDI project. But, of course, I have no idea what I talking about because you say so.

Not everything is as it seems, Randy dear.
    That's a delightful series of terms you threw out, Sean. Do you have any insight that isn't culled from your budget proposals and packets of information that were written by other people who actually understand the technology?

It's great that you do well in the field of enterprise-level storage solutions. That being said, your (sales) knowledge of that one small facet of a company's IT needs does not change the fact that what you said earlier was just fucking retarded and had absolutely zero relevance to Wes's company. And the reason that it had zero relevance? Because all you know is your little segment of the world and how to sell it.

Also, scale them for years? How many years do you think? I'm just curious how deluded you are by the bullshit you're selling people.

Well it's simple, a client/server architecture like hosted SQL servers cannot be transposed directly onto what box.com offers which is, more or less, cloud based storage.

Just saying.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I

Have you not been listening to Sean? He's been doing this for years, he knows what he's talking about. So obviously he understands that there's more involved in the operation of a company than just data storage.

Oh no, wait. That's what didn't happen.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I think his tactic is the equivalent of inviting your entire friends list to your event on facebook. it costs him nothing to spout out his sales pitch everywhere there might be a slight resemblence of relevance, just in case, and has the added benefit of not requiring any thought. once in a while it's bound to have a hit. the only cost is bothering and potentially misleading hundreds of people along the way.

That's a delightful series of terms you threw out, Sean. Do you have any insight that isn't culled from your budget proposals and packets of information that were written by other people who actually understand the technology?

It's great that you do well in the field of enterprise-level storage solutions. That being said, your (sales) knowledge of that one small facet of a company's IT needs does not change the fact that what you said earlier was just fucking retarded and had absolutely zero relevance to Wes's company. And the reason that it had zero relevance? Because all you know is your little segment of the world and how to sell it.

Also, scale them for years? How many years do you think? I'm just curious how deluded you are by the bullshit you're selling people.
    Well, sine you asked...they had 15tb raw, and about 9tb that was being used. With the knowledge of the VDI project ( hence the need for superior iops and the use of SSD drives), we scaled that out to an even 20tb, with room to grow. Main campus has a VNx 5300 with two locations running Vnxe 3300's. Adding two more 3300's this summer at other locations.

Also done AD, Exchange Migration, blade servers, tablets with Citrix XenApp, among other things. Just for this one client. I know what I am doing Randy, but I appreciate your concern.
    Last edited by downingthief; 05-29-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I think his tactic is the equivalent of inviting your entire friends list to your event on facebook. it costs him nothing to spout out his sales pitch everywhere there might be a slight resemblence of relevance, just in case, and has the added benefit of not requiring any thought. once in a while it's bound to have a hit. the only cost is bothering and potentially misleading hundreds of people along the way.
    Yup, ya got me.

Um, you didn't actually answer my question, but way to throw out a bunch more terms there to look legitimate. How many years do you think what you just sold them will be a viable and effective solution?

Have you ever actually done an AD/Exchange migration? Or you just mean you sold them it and then other people did it?

No, I haven't, don't need to. I have Engineers to do that for me. I understand how it works, and am involved every step.

Sorry, forgot to answer your time question...based on their projected growth and the VDI project, the estimation is to last at least 5 years. Then, revisit to see if we need to transition to a new base unit, or continue to scale up and out. To compare, their NetApp didn't even last them a year.

VigoTheCarpathian

None of it matters anyways because I've decided to enter the industry. Sell out now. I'll pay a premium compared to what it be will worth in a couple years

No, I haven't, don't need to. I have Engineers to do that for me. I understand how it works, and am involved every step.

Sorry, forgot to answer your time question...based on their projected growth and the VDI project, the estimation is to last at least 5 years. Then, revisit to see if we need to transition to a new base unit, or continue to scale up and out. To compare, their NetApp didn't even last them a year.
    5 years. Ha. Okay buddy, wanna bet 5 grand on that?

And of course you haven't actually done it. You're sales. AD/Exchange migration is easy to move to a hosted solution. There's been hosted Exchange for almost a decade and AD is easy enough to transfer to a cloud solution because you can configure Active Directory to call to an external source. You should stick to giving advice about those things and just shut the fuck up about technologies that you have no experience with. As much as you accuse me of thinking that I know everything, I wouldn't dare hop in to a conversation that actually pertained to enterprise-level cloud storage because it's not something I'm an authority on.

You jumped in to suggest a solution to a technology that you don't understand in the slightest. Don't try and fucking defend yourself by attacking me. You got out of pocket and it was a douchebag move. Just accept the fact that you should have shut the fuck up because the subject matter had zero relevance to your realm of quasi-understanding. That's all I'm saying.

Now man the fuck up and admit that you were pimping your business without really grasping the realities involved and bow out. Do the adult thing.

If my memory serves me correctly, Wes works for a Fortune 50 company. I'm pretty sure this entire discussion is totally irrelevant given how many layers of decision-making there probably are between him and any CIO-type figure.

Exactly. Which is why it was a fucking jerkoff thing to say in the first place.