Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer SOS!

Default Re: Computer SOS!

Try Start8, Pokki, or Classic Shell to get Windows 8 back to somewhat like Win7. I use Pokki and it's pretty great.

If he has Windows 8 Pro, you can get Windows Media Center for free here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w.../feature-packs That will give you DVD playback.

If not, VLC will work: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

I love Windows 8. I am impatient with people who hate change, and who think things should always stay the same.

Me too. Change that avatar. I want the disco ball back.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Bumping this thread for advice. *Entering Apple territory*

I've been sitting on this issue entirely too long and need to take some action. I posted about it a while back in the Tech Talk thread without much help. Basically I have no desktop computer right now. My iMac's hard drive basically fried and assuming it can't be recovered, I have to get a new hard drive and have it installed. Will any new drive work or are there Apple-specific drives? I think the old one was a 250GB serial ATA 7200rpm. (The iMac was purchased in 2007.)

As for installation, can I take it anywhere or should I just suck it up and take it to the Apple Store?

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Any SATA drive will work. Don't assume that the drive is fried. If you want to bring the thing over to me I can see if any of the data is recoverable for you. 50 bucks if I find what you need. If you buy the replacement drive I'll put the new one in and load OS X on there for you for another 50.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

You in Orange County? FYI the reason I assume it's fried is Disk Utility said so. Time Machine was saying it couldn't back up for like a week, then I think the computer just shut down and I couldn't get it running again so I tried the install discs and ran Disk Utility which suggested the drive was toast.

I think everything up to that week is backed up via T.M. on an external. However it's kind of eating at me as to what wasn't backed up in that week.

that's a good deal

Still trying to figure out why Firefox sometimes stops running, doing the endless round circle thing, and requires a full system reboot. Fuckin annoying.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Noho. Actually wait, it's a 2007 imac? Get the serial off the bottom and send it to me. Certain eras of imacs are INSANE pains in the ass to replace an HD. But any company I've ever worked for would charge you 300 minimum
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

my mom wants to know if there is a way to play iTunes files on a flash drive in her car. she can't get the files to play or something. i assume this is because the flash drive/car does not have iTunes installed. but is that correct? is there a way to do this? thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

The car needs to be able to support that format of audio. If it doesnt, then make mp3's.

We are able to copy iTunes files to our Flash and play in our Ford with Sync.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

ok cool. i think i realized the problem is more that she does not know how to copy the files. she wants iTunes to have a function like burning a cd. hopefully it's just that easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

If you change your iTunes import settings to mp3 you can right click / ctrl click on a file or multiple files in your library and select "create mp3 version". From there you just navigate to your iTunes music folder in explorer/finder and copy the new file(s) to your drive.

I'm completely working from memory here but this should work fine.
    twitter: @mrjonathanboyle

instagram: jnthnbyl

iTunes is one of the most user-unfriendly programs ever.

This is surprising coming from Apple, which built its recent empire on ease of use and intuitive interfaces.
    Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
    iTunes is one of the most user-unfriendly programs ever.

This is surprising coming from Apple, which built its recent empire on ease of use and intuitive interfaces.

The counter intuitive nature of iTunes is primarily there to maximise profits from their iTunes Store. They make it harder for people to import/export files etc because enough of the time, people just pay money to avoid the hassle.
    twitter: @mrjonathanboyle

instagram: jnthnbyl

Pretty sure they just did it because they're assholes. Same reason they put an absolutely pointless and unhelpful wheel on what would otherwise be a good mp3 player.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

I regularly use Remote Desktop Connection to log in from my work laptop (at home) to my work desktop (in the office). Both are XP, SP3. In the past, I would just close the RDC window on my laptop and when I returned to my deskop in the office, my PC would be at the lock screen ready for me to login.

Recently, my desktop PC was reimaged...and something changed.

Now, after completing a RDC session at home, when I return to the office, I am unable to login to my desktop. Moving the mouse or hitting the keyboard doesn't bring up the lock screen. The monitors are simply black (even after powering off and back on) and I must hold the power button in to power it down and reboot (highly unpreferable). I have tried both closing the window and logging out of the RDC session on the laptop and it yields the same result.

Is there some sort of RDC setting on my desktop that should return control back to a local user after a remote session? Our tech support team is of no help on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

why do you need both a work laptop and a work desktop?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The work desktop is a powerful developer’s PC and connected to the corporate network. I work with a lot of large excel files with data connections to various SQL servers also on the network. When I do work at home, it’d be nearly impossible to open or work with those files over the VPN.

So instead of opening them on my laptop, I establish an RDC into my desktop PC and run SQL, Excel, etc… from there.
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

That is some fucking pathetic IT support. It's hard to give you a definitive answer because there's a bunch of things i would check that you probably can't access as a non admin. But my hunch is that it isn't RDC at all, rather its that your desktop is dropping intohibernate and then not responding to the usual actions that would wake it up. Tomorrow morning when you get in, try just pushing the power button on the tower once-don't hold it in-and report back

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    The work desktop is a powerful developer’s PC and connected to the corporate network. I work with a lot of large excel files with data connections to various SQL servers also on the network. When I do work at home, it’d be nearly impossible to open or work with those files over the VPN.

So instead of opening them on my laptop, I establish an RDC into my desktop PC and run SQL, Excel, etc… from there.
    Check into using something like box.com for your file collaborations. Has nothing to do with size. All the storage is hosted, and you can make changes from anywhere; smartphone, ipad, etc. It's not a "commercial" product like Drop Box. More secure, business intuitive.

Yeah Wes, go tell your company's IT policy makers who have a stack of compliance requirements they have to meet and a database/application interaction complicated enough that even a VPN won't work to just say fuck it and put your files on a cloud host. I mean sure, it would infinitely complicate how your spreadsheets connect to the SQL servers they're pulling data from and they'd have to completely reconfigure their network and it wouldn't work period, but you should look into it.

You have a curious definition of what a "commercial" product is, Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Yeah Wes, go tell your company's IT policy makers who have a stack of compliance requirements they have to meet and a database/application interaction complicated enough that even a VPN won't work to just say fuck it and put your files on a cloud host. I mean sure, it would infinitely complicate how your spreadsheets connect to the SQL servers they're pulling data from and they'd have to completely reconfigure their network and it wouldn't work period, but you should look into it.

You have a curious definition of what a "commercial" product is, Sean.
    Very incorrect. Check who is using this product:
    https://www.box.com/customers/

Think any of those clients would be using it if it wasn't as I described? Hell, storage companies like EMC and HP use it. Randy, I've been in this industry a lot longer than you. I get from your perspective (IT) you may see red flags to a cloud based system, and in many cases, you would be correct. This is different, and frankly, game/industry changing. The difference with BOX is that it CAN be controlled, unlike Amazon, Dropbox, etc. It is marketed to businesses, and businesses only.

My job isn’t rearchitecting our corporate infrastructure, nor am I close to anyone who's job is. Even so, box.com wouldn’t be a solution here. Hosting a SQL server that 99 out 100 people access while in the office in a cloud solution is not only impractical, loading data from a cloud into whatever application I’m using wouldn’t be any faster than loading it from the corp network over the VPN. The fastest solution by far is using an application on the network with a data connection from the same network. Using RDC from a crappy laptop has worked just fine. I just need this little hiccup fixed.

Anyway, Randy, I don’t think it’s been hibernating or standing by, but I’ll try that a quick hit of the power button when I get back in tomorrow. Tech support seems to think this might have something to do with a bug associated with a recent deployment of Nightwatchman.

I'm sorry, what industry are we talking about here that you know more about than me?

I have no issue with cloud based systems, they're a tremendous relief for a number of reasons. Pretty much every major company nowadays uses one or another cloud solution either in addition to their physical storage or just replaced it completely and thus far it's proven to be pretty wonderful.

The reason your suggestion is stupid is that you're proposing something that would require Wes's infrastructure to be so insanely wildly altered that it's absurd. Not because of limitations of cloud hosting, but because the IT staff would have to change pretty much every fucking setting in how their SQL servers are set to receive requests, the spreadsheet templates he's working with (which I'm assuming have formulas in them that call to specifically named database fields on their network) would have to be completely redesigned, literally everything about the way they've set up the server-application interaction would have to change. And depending on the nuances of the applications, there's a very good chance it's not even possible to configure them to work that way. But regardless, his company is never going to change fucking EVERYTHING about their IT infrastructure just for Wes.

There's a reason that it doesn't work well via VPN. It's because the demands of trying to process the requests Wes is trying to make over an external connection has too much lag. What you're proposing as a solution is that they switch to a system that does absolutely nothing to resolve that problem. These aren't just some spreadsheets he's throwing numbers into. It's more complicated than that.

Peanut gallery, please step to the side.

My job isn’t rearchitecting our corporate infrastructure, nor am I close to anyone who's job is. Even so, box.com wouldn’t be a solution here. Hosting a SQL server that 99 out 100 people access while in the office in a cloud solution is not only impractical, loading data from a cloud into whatever application I’m using wouldn’t be any faster than loading it from the corp network over the VPN. The fastest solution by far is using an application on the network with a data connection from the same network. Using RDC from a crappy laptop has worked just fine. I just need this little hiccup fixed.

Anyway, Randy, I don’t think it’s been hibernating or standing by, but I’ll try that a quick hit of the power button when I get back in tomorrow. Tech support seems to think this might have something to do with a bug associated with a recent deployment of Nightwatchman.
    That would make sense. What you're describing definitely sounds like an occasional and annoying scenario wherein machines just don't like pulling back out of hibernate mode though. If you even have access to get into these screens, try going to Control Panel - Power Options and seeing if you can set the Hibernate timeout to Never. But then again, if Nightwatchman is at play, it might be performing an automated task that overrides all of that.

The fact that it started happening after a re-image though makes me think that it's hitting a Hibernate glitch though. Check those settings out and see if you can alter them--in all likelihood you can't, based on the description of your network.

Enable hibernation box is unchecked in Power Options and 'Never' is selected for System standby...but like you said, this might be overridden elsewhere.

How would I even know if it was though? Does the light in the fridge turn off when I close the door? I'm able to log in remotely at night, close that connection, and log back in remotely in the morning. I then drive into the office 20 minutes later and hear the fan running...just no reaction to keyboard or mouse. I'll keep you posted on whatever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I'm sorry, what industry are we talking about here that you know more about than me?

I have no issue with cloud based systems, they're a tremendous relief for a number of reasons. Pretty much every major company nowadays uses one or another cloud solution either in addition to their physical storage or just replaced it completely and thus far it's proven to be pretty wonderful.

The reason your suggestion is stupid is that you're proposing something that would require Wes's infrastructure to be so insanely wildly altered that it's absurd. Not because of limitations of cloud hosting, but because the IT staff would have to change pretty much every fucking setting in how their SQL servers are set to receive requests, the spreadsheet templates he's working with (which I'm assuming have formulas in them that call to specifically named database fields on their network) would have to be completely redesigned, literally everything about the way they've set up the server-application interaction would have to change. And depending on the nuances of the applications, there's a very good chance it's not even possible to configure them to work that way. But regardless, his company is never going to change fucking EVERYTHING about their IT infrastructure just for Wes.

There's a reason that it doesn't work well via VPN. It's because the demands of trying to process the requests Wes is trying to make over an external connection has too much lag. What you're proposing as a solution is that they switch to a system that does absolutely nothing to resolve that problem. These aren't just some spreadsheets he's throwing numbers into. It's more complicated than that.

Peanut gallery, please step to the side.
    IT/Solution Selling/Consulting for 16 years.

I also think you exaggerate greatly the changes that need to be made. Obviously, every entity is different. However, take a company like P&G. Pretty large business. Would they have transitioned over if it was as daunting a task as you describe. Of course not. They probably have some pretty complicated files/projects, too.

And, it isn't a VPN solution, obviously. VPN is a dinosaur.

Well this might get interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Enable hibernation box is unchecked in Power Options and 'Never' is selected for System standby...but like you said, this might be overridden elsewhere.

How would I even know if it was though? Does the light in the fridge turn off when I close the door? I'm able to log in remotely at night, close that connection, and log back in remotely in the morning. I then drive into the office 20 minutes later and hear the fan running...just no reaction to keyboard or mouse. I'll keep you posted on whatever happens.
    Oh wow, so it happens even that close together? You remote in and 20 minutes later the system doesn't respond? That's wacky. And you said you'd tried actually logging off from the remote session in addition to just closing the window, right? That's wacky.

Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    IT/Solution Selling/Consulting for 16 years.

I also think you exaggerate greatly the changes that need to be made. Obviously, every entity is different. However, take a company like P&G. Pretty large business. Would they have transitioned over if it was as daunting a task as you describe. Of course not. They probably have some pretty complicated files/projects, too.

And, it isn't a VPN solution, obviously. VPN is a dinosaur.
    Do you know the details of what P&G uses it for are? 'Cause I'll bet you 5000 that they don't use it for everything. Document collaboration is one thing--SQL server/client configurations are another.

Dude, seriously, I don't really want to argue with you, but you're talking about something you don't really understand enough. I don't want to get into a big, boring, geeky breakdown of why what you're saying is more complicated than you think it is, how about you just take my word for it?

Not to mention the fact that you know nothing about Wes's company, their applications, their existing server structure, or any of the myriad factors that would determine whether or not they could even support such a change.