Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer SOS!

Default Re: Computer SOS!

I spilled jungle juice on my computer this weekend. There doesn't seem to be any major problems but now the keyboard is sticking like crazy. What's the best way to clean it? Typing now is like actual work to get the letters pressed down.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

take apart the body and remove the keyboard. then clean it.

December 31 - Matthew Dear/The Sword/Pallbearer
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 10 - 1349
    February 28 - A Place To Bury Strangers
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    take apart the body and remove the keyboard. then clean it.
    I don't think I can do this with a Macbook Pro?

My laptop keep shutting off. Any idea what the issue is?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

First thing that comes to mind is that the battery needs to be replaced.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

It's pretty much plugged in 99.9% of the time.

It might be overheating. Check to see if there is a temp sensor program or something. You may also want to unplug it as that will heat it up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    It's pretty much plugged in 99.9% of the time.
    Yeah, but the battery can still die, from old age or whatever else.
    last.fm

It's probably overheating. Sucks because I already have a fan on it. Have it unplugged right now to see how long it will last.

Typically, anything with a rechargeable battery will lose its ability to hold a charge if its left plugged into a power source constantly. That's what happened to the last 3 batteries on my MacBook. The battery used to be able to hold a charge for about 4-5 hours of regular use, and now it's down to about 1 hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

PF, did you ever fix your problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

If the battery goes completely dead, it acts to block the circuit. So even if the computer is plugged in, with a toally dead battery, it will not work. At least that's how Dell laptops work.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Easiest way to test the battery is remove it, leave the computer plugged in and turned on. If you experience no problems running purely on A/C power, it's the battery.

Otherwise you're looking at an overheating issue, RAM failure, OS corruption, hard drive failure or motherboard failure.

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    Easiest way to test the battery is remove it, leave the computer plugged in and turned on. If you experience no problems running purely on A/C power, it's the battery.

Otherwise you're looking at an overheating issue, RAM failure, OS corruption, hard drive failure or motherboard failure.
    If that is the case, follow these steps:
    1. Unplug computer.
    2. Throw computer against the wall.
    3. Laugh heartily.

That should help.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

I need a new one. Looking for a desk top. I have no idea what I'm looking for right now and any advice on new tech would be great Thank you. I have about 500 bucks, only need the desk top (no monitor, etc.) and I run serveral programs at once. Also would love it to support two monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by LooseAtTheZoo View Post
    I don't think I can do this with a Macbook Pro?
    Turn off your Macbook and wipe the whole thing down with glass wipes, like Glass Wipe Plus or something similar. It's a great way to clean macbooks. I've done it before and haven't had an issue. When I do it to my 4 y/o macbook, it looks like new. Should help with the sticking problem as well, depending on how bad it is. Not much you can do if it is really bad underneath the keys, but this is a cheap and easy solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    I need a new one. Looking for a desk top. I have no idea what I'm looking for right now and any advice on new tech would be great Thank you. I have about 500 bucks, only need the desk top (no monitor, etc.) and I run serveral programs at once. Also would love it to support two monitors.
    Just make sure the video card has dual output, or you can go the riskier route and just get a usb device (like DisplayLink or something) that will create another monitor for you.

I have a USB video device that I think I paid $50 for...it totally sucks, but it serves its purpose because I didn't feel like ripping my computer apart to replace the old video card with a dual-monitor one.

EDIT: why it sucks: my computer won't recognize that there are two screens. instead it "stretches" the screen out to fill the two monitors, which is fine, but I have no control over the individual screens, as the display settings can't idenify there is a second monitor. Also, it unmounts and shuts off periodically, forcing me to pull and re-plug the usb.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 11-02-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I have a USB video device that I think I paid $50 for...it totally sucks, but it serves its purpose because I didn't feel like ripping my computer apart to replace the old video card with a dual-monitor one.

EDIT: why it sucks: my computer won't recognize that there are two screens. instead it "stretches" the screen out to fill the two monitors, which is fine, but I have no control over the individual screens, as the display settings can't idenify there is a second monitor. Also, it unmounts and shuts off periodically, forcing me to pull and re-plug the usb.
    Assuming you have a desktop, why not just buy a video card to support that function? You could find one for $50 to support it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Quote Originally Posted by vogina View Post
    PF, did you ever fix your problem?
    yes someone had to make me a new ff profile.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by vogina View Post
    Assuming you have a desktop, why not just buy a video card to support that function? You could find one for $50 to support it too.
    As i stated above, i didn't feel like messing around with opening it up, AKA i'm lazy
    last.fm

So my girlfriend's laptop picked up one of those fake virus protection things. You know, "your computer is infected, click here, blah blah blah. When the thing first popped up she restarted in safe mode and ran virus & spyware sweep, which turned up a bunch of trojan horse stuff. We reboot and the thing is still on her computer (AV Protection 2011 or some shit). I found the file on the harddrive but am being denied when I try to delete it manually. Derp. Any thoughts, computer-people? She's freaking out, and I have to live with that, so please help me.
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

find a force delete program...

I will try that, thanks.
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Malwarebytes helped me clear one of those out. It kept stopping me from running most programs on my computer because of the "infection." It was fucking annoying.

Also, i have a weird thing that's not really a problem, but I had never seen it before. About a month ago my boss' usb drive was put into my studio mac to transfer a file, and now the damn thing seems permanently inserted into my computer even though the device is gone. i unmount it, but when i reboot, it shows back up. Has anyone heard of a usb drive somehow being permanently copied to a computer? it's really strange.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    So my girlfriend's laptop picked up one of those fake virus protection things. You know, "your computer is infected, click here, blah blah blah. When the thing first popped up she restarted in safe mode and ran virus & spyware sweep, which turned up a bunch of trojan horse stuff. We reboot and the thing is still on her computer (AV Protection 2011 or some shit). I found the file on the harddrive but am being denied when I try to delete it manually. Derp. Any thoughts, computer-people? She's freaking out, and I have to live with that, so please help me.
    Ha, my co-worker's laptop has this problem. Only the dumb virus won't let me open any other programs -- it immediately auto-closes everything I open. And of course our IT guy is out of town on vacation, so somehow I am next in line for solving computer problems. Which is ridiculous because I know nothing about computers.

I ended up taking the darn thing to a computer repair place. $99 to sweep the machine clean. And I don't have to spend another minute fiddling with it. Success.

Drinkey and Courtney both made pretty good suggestions. Malwarebytes has helped me out a few times. And as oldschool as it is, so has Ad-aware.

I too had a very similar issue where everything would be closed on my immediately. I couldn't even get online. Luckily I had access to another computer, so I just pulled out my HDD and attached it to the other PC via external drive. Did a scan that way, POOF! Gone.

Hopefully you get the issue fixed.

Internet browsers were pretty much the only programs I could get to work because the virus really wanted me to enter credit card info to buy the "anti virus program." Luckily I could trick it by digging through the cache and i actually made my way to this thread and got a direct link to malwarebytes and that did the trick almost immediately.
    last.fm

Awesome. It would only let me go online if I didn't it through the program, and would only let me access their site. They're getting good with the crippling, but how many people would really go for that? Unfortunately, probably a good amount. Yikes.

I just got one of our work laptops back from the repair guys, and now when I hook it up to my external monitor, everything looks PINK. I checked and the monitor cord is fully plugged in. All the settings are still default because IT wiped the laptop. But I can't figure out why it is doing the pink thing. HELP!