Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer SOS!

Default Re: Computer SOS!

What have you all found to be the best solution for putting music on an external hard drive for easy access?

I'm reaching that point when I need to figure out a new solution for electronic media storage. I have about 100 GB of music and about 60 GB of images, and growing. Right now I just have it all on my Macbook Pro, with a Time Capsule for backup, but I'm looking into clearing it off my laptop to save some space and putting it all on an external drive.

What are the best brands of external hard drive? Is there a user-friendly way to do this and keep my Time Machine backing up both the external hard drive as well as my laptop, so that I don't need to buy a second backup?

Alright I'm having what I believe to be a graphics card/driver issue. It started a couple of days ago when I was drunk and decided to go to Nvidia to download the latest drivers for my card and rebooted to install fully, when it came time to load into Windows I got the blue screen of death-

Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.

STOP: 0x00000116 (0x879F008, 0x8BC00A70, 0x00000000, 0x00000002)

NVlddmkm.sys - Address 8BC0DA70 base at 8BC04000 DateStamp 493750e2
    So I've rebooted into safemode and unistalled the drivers, computer runs fine with the basic generic card or whatever the hell I'm running on besides the fact its not high resolution and cant run videos and whatever else. Whenever I try to install the previous driver, or go through HP's website and use their drivers it just goes back to the blue screen of death. Feels like I'm stuck in this resolution until I can figure out what driver to install or fix whatever is fucked up.

Computer-

HP Pavilion dv9000 notebook
    Intel Core 2 cpu T53000 @ 1.73 GHz
    2 gig RAM
    Windows Vista 32 bit
    nvidia GeForce Go 7600 graphics card

help?
    Last edited by Cdubby; 02-13-2010 at 12:38 PM.

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    What have you all found to be the best solution for putting music on an external hard drive for easy access?

I'm reaching that point when I need to figure out a new solution for electronic media storage. I have about 100 GB of music and about 60 GB of images, and growing. Right now I just have it all on my Macbook Pro, with a Time Capsule for backup, but I'm looking into clearing it off my laptop to save some space and putting it all on an external drive.

What are the best brands of external hard drive? Is there a user-friendly way to do this and keep my Time Machine backing up both the external hard drive as well as my laptop, so that I don't need to buy a second backup?
    Go with seagates...I'm sure there is software that will auto back everything you want in two spaces at once and everythinig. But I have 3 seagates, and they are great. I got a 1TB drive for 65 bucks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Is there a way to fix USB ports once they've been corrupted?
    If the port itself is damaged and you're talking about a laptop, not really. Take it to a repair shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post

How big is your time machine drive? What I did for my sister is partitioned the Time machine and only had time machine running on half of it and put her music and pictures on the other half. It works quite nicely, and because the drive is so large, time machine backs up both the computer and the other half of the drive.

The only problem I have with moving music from a laptop to an external hard drive is re importing it into iTunes, which sometimes gets confusing.

Edit: Also, if you do decide to buy another external hard drive, Time machine backs it up pretty much by itself if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubby View Post
    Alright I'm having what I believe to be a graphics card/driver issue. It started a couple of days ago when I was drunk and decided to go to Nvidia to download the latest drivers for my card and rebooted to install fully, when it came time to load into Windows I got the blue screen of death-

So I've rebooted into safemode and unistalled the drivers, computer runs fine with the basic generic card or whatever the hell I'm running on besides the fact its not high resolution and cant run videos and whatever else. Whenever I try to install the previous driver, or go through HP's website and use their drivers it just goes back to the blue screen of death. Feels like I'm stuck in this resolution until I can figure out what driver to install or fix whatever is fucked up.

Computer-

HP Pavilion dv9000 notebook
    Intel Core 2 cpu T53000 @ 1.73 GHz
    2 gig RAM
    Windows Vista 32 bit
    nvidia GeForce Go 7600 graphics card

help?
    There are like 8 different proposed solutions in this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...ces/689444.htm

One states that the sys file your BSOD is mentioning doesn't get replaced properly by the Nvidia install, so you have to go to it, rename it to .sys.old, and then run the install. The next says you need to turn off UAC--User Account Control, which you can do through the User Accounts control panel (and which is generally a good idea anyway as it's a big part of why Vista sucks), and one says you need to disable the Nvidia service. Can't really be sure which is the best solution for you. I would say start with the renaming that .sys file.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Thank you, I'm just going to go down the list.

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

My laptop has bluescreened twice this week now.

It does not leave a minidump file, although it appears everything is set up correctly. There are no suspicious entries in the event log.

It's a basic STOP Error, the relevant numbers are 0x000000F4 and 0x00000003. No other information on the STOP error.

The first time happened when trying to play a CD, the second time happened trying to access the Shut Down menu, after moving the laptop.

It appears that this is most likely a hardware error. I am thinking there might be something loose, possibly having to do with the DVD drive.

My system:
    HP Pavillion dv4000
    2GB RAM
    Windows XP SP3

Anything else it might be?

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Go with seagates...I'm sure there is software that will auto back everything you want in two spaces at once and everythinig. But I have 3 seagates, and they are great. I got a 1TB drive for 65 bucks or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by cansei de ser sexme View Post
    How big is your time machine drive? What I did for my sister is partitioned the Time machine and only had time machine running on half of it and put her music and pictures on the other half. It works quite nicely, and because the drive is so large, time machine backs up both the computer and the other half of the drive.

The only problem I have with moving music from a laptop to an external hard drive is re importing it into iTunes, which sometimes gets confusing.

Edit: Also, if you do decide to buy another external hard drive, Time machine backs it up pretty much by itself if I remember correctly.
    Hey this is really helpful. Thank you!

My Time Capsule is only 500 GB. Now I kinda wish that I had gotten a bigger one. But I'm psyched that it sounds like it can back up multiple drives fairly easily, if necessary.

Alright, this is a crapshoot but I figured I'd ask here first.

I'm using a crappy pdf preview program on Mac to print off some online articles. I'm trying to edit them down to delete the white space, is there a way to do that while keeping the rest of the document intact?

Also, is it possible to change the fonts within a pdf?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    My laptop has bluescreened twice this week now.

It does not leave a minidump file, although it appears everything is set up correctly. There are no suspicious entries in the event log.

It's a basic STOP Error, the relevant numbers are 0x000000F4 and 0x00000003. No other information on the STOP error.

The first time happened when trying to play a CD, the second time happened trying to access the Shut Down menu, after moving the laptop.

It appears that this is most likely a hardware error. I am thinking there might be something loose, possibly having to do with the DVD drive.

My system:
    HP Pavillion dv4000
    2GB RAM
    Windows XP SP3

Anything else it might be?
    If you go into Event Viewer there ought to be some more detailed errors occurring right around the crash. Those BSODs tell me nothing.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    Alright, this is a crapshoot but I figured I'd ask here first.

I'm using a crappy pdf preview program on Mac to print off some online articles. I'm trying to edit them down to delete the white space, is there a way to do that while keeping the rest of the document intact?

Also, is it possible to change the fonts within a pdf?
    As far as changing the fonts--pretty sure no. Unless there's some secret software I'm not aware of. I'm 99 percent sure you absolutely can't do that easily with Acrobat.

I don't really understand the first part of the question. I thought Macs generally have native PDF support? Can't you then just select the area that you want to print with some kind of click and drag area selection?
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

My problem is that the document will look like this:

Texttexttext

(Empty white space from Youtube videos or ads that didn't get saved when I saved the webfile as a pdf).

Texttexttext.

So, I want to be able to eliminate that white space and bring the text more in line so there's not a huge gap that looks ugly.

Well most websites have a link on the page to a printer friendly version. That's what you need. There's no easy way to do it otherwise except for going through and copying out all the text into a new document.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Well most websites have a link on the page to a printer friendly version. That's what you need. There's no easy way to do it otherwise except for going through and copying out all the text into a new document.
    Unfortunately, I can find a printer-friendly version to print.

I was trying to do it all in pdf because I think that it looks crappy as a Word document, but if that's the only way then I can work with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    Unfortunately, I can find a printer-friendly version to print.

I was trying to do it all in pdf because I think that it looks crappy as a Word document, but if that's the only way then I can work with that.
    I take it that you mean you CAN'T find a printer friendly version?
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

I take it that you mean you CAN'T find a printer friendly version?
    Yes, I can not find one.

Randy..
    Any thoughts on ShieldsUP! Internet Vulnerability Profiling?

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

A few days ago my dad let me install Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web Premium and ever since then, I think it's fucked with my Flash. He told me to go update the Flash since it's an old version, so I did, but I still have issues.

Any time I go to a site that required Flash, this pop up box appears for Adobe Flash Player 9:
    Where is the debugger or host application running?

-Localhost
    -Other Machine
    ---Enter IP Address:
    I've just been x'ing out of it, but after I updated my Flash player just now, I went back to the same site (blip.fm in this instance), and the same box came up. This time when I x'ed out, another box popped up that said:

A connection to the Debugger or Profiler could not be established by Adobe Flash Player 9.

Help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Either try what it says here maybe: http://www.lancelhoff.com/where-is-t...cation-runnin/

or just uninstall the flash player and then re-install the latest version again.

Here ya go Tess:

http://www.techmynd.com/adobe-flash-...ning-solution/

EDIT: Looks to be mostly double post of Menik's info. I think there's something additional in there though. Google is generally your friend. Most people don't realize that 95 percent of fixing computer problems is just knowing how to use Google.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

What are you talking about? You guys are my Google.

... goddamn women.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

YESSSSS that worked. Thank you, boys.

I lied. I just went to myspace and a pop-up said:

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
    at com.FIM.ui.overlay.errorOverlay::ErrorOverlay/onResize()
    at com.FIM.ui.overlay.errorOverlay::ErrorOverlay/onAddedToStage()
    at flash.display:: DisplayObjectContainer/addChild()
    at Application/displayError()
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
    at com.FIM.services.media::AudioService/onGetAudioPlaylistError()
    at com.FIM.utils::NetUtils$/executeCallbacks()
    at com.FIM.utils::NetUtils$/errorCallback()
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
    at flash.net::URLLoader/redirectEvent()

What browser?
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Firefox

Ugh. The only forums that come up for this are actual coding issues. Okay here's what you do: hop in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the actual Adobe Flash program that's a part of CS3, then install any Flash addins present. If you don't see any, that's fine. Then go to the adobe site and reinstall the current version of Flash again.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

ok i think that did the trick. thanks, google.

I need an answer quick, someone please help.

So I am was over halfway through an assignment due tomorrow that I just started this morning. I had one of those moments where I had a lot of motivation and inspirtation, so I just kept typing and typing without saving. I just a little while ago decided I was hungry, so I figured I would do a quick spell check, save, then go have lunch. Half way through the spell check, my computer froze. I have waited 20 minutes for it to unfreeze... but nothing is happening. I am starting to panic pretty badly. I've tried ctrl+alt+del, and nothing happens.

My question(s): Is there anything I can do? If yes, what? If no... if I manualy restart my computer, will at least some of my document be saved? I have Word 2003 and it does have an automatic saving feature... I just dont want to risk manually restarting my document and not having aleast some if there.

If someone can help me, I would appreciate it. I feel a heart attack/nervous breakdown coming on.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.