Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer SOS!

Default Re: Computer SOS!

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I have Windows Vista, which is like having a virus for an operating system. Recently, in an attempt to shut down my computer, the blasted machine got stuck on the Logging Off screen forever. It was clear that it was never going to shut down, so I had to do a hard shut down by holding the power button. All the time I turn it back on, it gives me that "didn't shut off properly" thing, and then it does certain things: I either log on to a black screen in which I can only see the cursor; it logs on to my computer, but many of my applications are not responsive and I have to do another hard shut down, because it still hangs at the log off screen; or it logs on and my programs are responsive. Always, eventually, I need to do a hard shut off because sometimes when my computer falls asleep, it won't wake up properly; as in, the blinking light becomes solid and I can hear the laptop come to life, but nothing displays on the screen (not even the cursor) and no button presses change that. So then I have to restart and hope that it comes up with my programs responsive, but usually it doesn't. I have scanned with Trend Micro, and no viruses have popped up.

There is something of a clue, and I think this gets us close to what is wrong. If I press Crtl+Alt+Delete and ask for the Task Manager, the Task Manager will not display, but the green graph icon will be in the tray. I can hover the mouse over the icon, and it will say Task Manager, but that's all I can do. The window for it never appears, no matter how many little icons I summon onto the tray. I can, however, use ProcessExplorer and see that when I start up some applications, they use no CPU power. Meanwhile, a certain svchost.exe is using about 50%, while System Idle Process is using about another 50% of the CPU.

The svchost.exe contains audiodg.exe underneath its belt, but audiodg.exe doesn't use up any CPU. The services in this specific svchost.exe are these: DCHP Client, Security Center, TCP/IP NetBIOS, Windows Audio, and Windows Event Log. I have read on the internets that it is Windows Event Log that goes crazy in this circumstance. I've read accounts of people killing the process or disabling Windows Event Log. One time, I was able to use ProcessExplorer to kill the offending svchost.exe, and I was able to launch the Task Manager, and my laptop was being normal until it fall asleep and wouldn't wake up (this wake up problem has been around for a long time).

Now, however, when I try killing or disabling or doing anything with svchost.exe or Windows Event Log, I get an error that says "Error Opening Process: Access is denied." Also, when I press F8 and go to the Repair Computer thing and click the thing to restore to an earlier time, it does nothing...

So does anybody know of anything that can be done to fix this? I mean, it sounds fixable. I can still operate in my computer when it wants. It seems to have to do with that Windows Event Log thing.
    1. A quicker way to get to the Task Manager is Ctrl+Shift+Esc. If it doesn't pop up more than just defaulting to minimized to the system tray, you're mildly screwed. I'd attempt to Alt+Tab through the running programs to see if you can bring it to the front. You can also try to right click the tray icon and choose "Always on Top".

2. Assuming you don't love to use the Windows Media Center, you can fix the audiodg.exe issue by right clicking the volume icon in the system tray (or by going to Sound under control panel) and choosing Playback Devices. Highlight Speakers, then choose Properties. Under the Enhancements tabs, disable all Enhancements. Under the Advanced tab, make sure that you're set on CD quality. You can also kill the Audio Endpoint Builder service by opening your Services by running "services.msc" and stopping the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder Service under its properties. You can also choose to have its Startup Type to remain disabled.

3. The reason you get Access Denied when trying to mess with svchost is because it's a generic, but important process in charge of allowing certain services to run in certain ways at certain times.

4. If you believe that there is no reason what so ever that you believe that you need your Event Logs, in lieu of turning off the service, just go to event viewer (run eventvwr) and Clear/Save each log category under Windows and Administrator logs. You should then alleviate some the processing power that it takes to constantly append mildly large files.
    Last edited by dorkfish; 11-10-2009 at 12:43 AM.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    1. A quicker way to get to the Task Manager is Ctrl+Shift+Esc. If it doesn't pop up more than just defaulting to minimized to the system tray, you're mildly screwed. I'd attempt to Alt+Tab through the running programs to see if you can bring it to the front. You can also try to right click the tray icon and choose "Always on Top".

2. Assuming you don't love to use the Windows Media Center, you can fix the audiodg.exe issue by right clicking the volume icon in the system tray (or by going to Sound under control panel) and choosing Playback Devices. Highlight Speakers, then choose Properties. Under the Enhancements tabs, disable all Enhancements. Under the Advanced tab, make sure that you're set on CD quality. You can also kill the Audio Endpoint Builder service by opening your Services by running "services.msc" and stopping the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder Service under its properties. You can also choose to have its Startup Type to remain disabled.

3. The reason you get Access Denied when trying to mess with svchost is because it's a generic, but important process in charge of allowing certain services to run in certain ways at certain times.

4. If you believe that there is no reason what so ever that you believe that you need your Event Logs, in lieu of turning off the service, just go to event viewer (run eventvwr) and Clear/Save each log category under Windows and Administrator logs. You should then alleviate some the processing power that it takes to constantly append mildly large files.
    Thank you for looking out.

1. This is a good shortcut. I didn't know about this. The Alt+Tab didn't bring up the Task Manager though. I can keep putting the Task Manager icons on the tray until there is a billion, and I can only kill them on Process Explorer.

2. I had actually did this tip already. I think my issue is a different issue, because under Process Explorer, it isn't the audiodg.exe using up any of the CPU, but the svchost.exe. Hmm...

3. I was able to kill the svchost.exe once though, and it fixed everything for a while until my laptop went to sleep and wouldn't wake back up. Which makes me wonder if there is a virus just disguising itself as a svchost.exe. At any rate, I'm not able to kill it anymore, and I'm not sure it is a virus actually, because other people with the same problems have seem to track down an issue with the Event Logger service in that svchost.exe. Those people would disable the service so that it doesn't start at boot, but my access is denied to do that...

4. I'll look into this and see if it works.

Right now, my computer booted (after a couple black screens) to a state in which the applications are responsive and svchost.exe is behaving. Another interesting thing happened that may be a clue: Trend Micro Internet Security found "problems with the latest update" and has "fixed it". I've seen this before, I just forgot about it. Problem is that these problems will probably return after the computer goes back to sleep or is forced to shut down. It seems that Windows wants to install some updates today. Maybe the answer to my problems are in there...
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I found out what went wrong: my hard drive wore out. I could hear it clicking yesterday. I backed everything up, thankfully. I believe it is still under warranty. Anyway, it's dead now.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

My computer is completely dead, I can't get it to do anything other than tell me to insert the startup discs. Unfortunately I have moved 4 times since buying the computer and have looked everywhere for my discs with no luck. If I take it to a computer shop will they be able to fix it for any reasonable amount of money or will I end up buying a new computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    My computer is completely dead, I can't get it to do anything other than tell me to insert the startup discs. Unfortunately I have moved 4 times since buying the computer and have looked everywhere for my discs with no luck. If I take it to a computer shop will they be able to fix it for any reasonable amount of money or will I end up buying a new computer?
    It's difficult to know without more information. If your computer is asking for startup discs, it's not 100% dead. It could be the OS or partition table got corrupted, or the Hard disk may be dead. A reputable repair shop should be able to fix it in either case. As for the disks, do you still have the sticker on the computer with the Serial Number for the OS? If so, a repair shop would most likely have the disks and be able to install the OS for you.

Edit: Does your computer detect the hard drive?

I do still have the sticker. I don't know if it detects the hard drive though because I gave up using it awhile ago. The kids spend so much time on myspace and other sites that it was completely bogged down with viruses. I couldn't get rid of them even with a system recovery. I would do a system recovery and it would work again for a few days and then stop. No virus software I tried would get rid of the virus.

I am a complete computer idiot unfortunately. I know how to run the programs I need to run for work and I can build you one hell of a spreadsheet but when it comes to anything beyond installing a printer I am pretty much clueless. So I do not know if it detects the hard drive, especially since I can't even get it to turn on. All I get is a black screen that says please insert start up discs.

I am assuming it's a Windows PC? Not a Mac? Usually there is some key you press as it's booting, usually DEL, F1, F2 or F10, which will take you into Setup.

I might recommend a Mac or a Linux system for kids that keep getting viruses. You can make a Windows system secure, but it takes a bit of work.

Yes, it is Windows, I have never used anything else. I need to find a computer geek in Phoenix that knows how to do this stuff. I know how to get it into safe mode/setup but have no clue what to do after that other than the system recovery that doesn't work. But knowing that a computer fixit place will have the discs for me is helpful, I just didn't want to have to buy a new PC since this one is only about 4-5 years old.

I believe someone mentioned somewhere that computers are generlly only good for about 5 years or so. Seems to be the case with me anyway. Theone I have now is only maybe 3 years old, but it's a Vista, and it sounds to me that Vista's a done deal. It's made using any programs I've had before with XP a real pain in the ass for people like myself to navigate through or even begin to use. Seriously, I R NOT PC Smart!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

My computer reformated and came back to life! But, I can still hear the hard drive clicking when it works hard... It's definitely on its way out. I'll have to get it replaced when I go back home for Thanksgiving.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i feel like some sort of low-level monkey.

when pants was here, he somehow hooked the laptop up to my tv, played with some settings and BAM, laptop on the tv. i cannot for the fucking life with me find the magic settings to make it happen again. where's the "i just wanna watch curb on a big screen" button??!?!?!??!?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I have 2 family members who are not able to use a LCD monitor, but eventually I will stop being able to find old CRTs in decent condition for them. They do wear out.

There are 2 problems with the LCD monitors. First, they are much brighter than the CRT and harder to adjust. This is kind of solvable, but a pain when 2 people use the same monitor and you have to keep changing it. The second problem is with the resolution. My mother has cataracts, and cannot see the text on the LCD monitor. And, you are kind of stuck with whatever resolution is default, you can't just change it and expect it to look OK like with a CRT monitor. She currently is using 800x600, and some programs/sites don't really work with that. We went and bought a LCD monitor, a 20" with 1600x900 resolution, and it's really not suitable for someone with less than perfect eyesight. Changing the DPI or the fonts did not work out well. The LCD monitor went back to the store. All the 20" monitors they had used 1600x900, they were all widescreen. (WTF?)

Are there any LCD monitors that have a low enough resolution for someone with visual issues? Or do I hope that their CRTs last long enough for the next technology to come along?
    Last edited by TheWatcher; 11-17-2009 at 08:37 AM.

Getting it to display 800x600 shouldn't really be a question of the monitor necessarily, although you definitely don't want to get them a widescreen monitor, but they don't really need something that big. 20" is overkill and will push them into that range of shape you don't want to fuck with. I would say research graphics cards recommended by AARP or something. If it's not displaying right on the monitor, it's likely more an issue of not having enough fuckable-with options in your graphics properties. get an ATI, you'll have a whole control center to play with until the old bats are happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Well, I do agree with ATI, or NVidia as being a huge improvement over the embedded Intel chipsets I am dealing with.

But, AFAIK LCD monitors only look good at their native resolution. You can change the resolution in the graphics properties, but it won't look right. (Is that not still true?) That's why, when you look at the specs for a CRT monitor, it usually gives a wide range of display settings, but for an LCD, you just get the one resolution. I think the older ones were more reasonable for viewing text, seems like the new ones are mainly suitable for viewing HD video. Maybe I need to look at business oriented models? Anyway, still looking.

Also, the last independent computer store in this area just closed, now I am stuck with Best Buy, Office Depot or Frys. So, I am thinking online is the only option now. Unless I can find something used.
    Last edited by TheWatcher; 11-17-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Fry's has great deals on shit, but you can get better prices on Newegg if you're willing to wait on the shitting. I don't know where you got that understanding of how resolution on LCDs works but that's not the case. Just don't get one so severely wide-screened, something more in the 17" range that will be a little squarer. You can knock the resolution down to pretty close to 800x600. The problem is that Intel's built in graphics options don't give you enough inbetween settings. getting it to fit properly on that monitor for then requires more nuanced combinations of width and height, which an ATI or Nvidia control panel will offer but the built-in doesn't.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Well, I guess I'll be looking online then. The stores only seem to have the widescreen monitors now.

A few years ago, when we started getting in LCD monitors at work, I did play around with the settings quite a bit, with various video cards, and found that they only look good at the "native" resolution. Since they have physical pixels, while pixel size can change with a CRT.

From wikipedia:

LCD computer monitors also use pixels to display an image, and have a native resolution. Each pixel is made up of triads, with the number of these triads determining the native resolution. On some CRT monitors, the beam sweep rate may be fixed, resulting in a fixed native resolution. Most CRT monitors do not have a fixed beam sweep rate, meaning they don't have a native resolution at all - instead they have a set of resolutions that are equally well supported.

To produce the sharpest images possible on an LCD, the user must ensure the display resolution of the computer matches the native resolution of the monitor. On a CRT with a fixed beam sweep rate, you are required to use the native resolution. On a CRT without this restriction, you may use any resolution supported by the monitor that matches the monitor's physical aspect ratio and it will look fine.
    Also, my mother's Intel graphic card had about 15 different resolutions, none worked except the native res of 1600x900. They either left the text readable, but everything is stretched, or the aspect ratio is ok but the text is not readable.

The 1600x900 looked fine to me, but my eyes are 20/20 with my glasses on and I don't have any cataracts or other visual issues. Some people can't get their vision corrected to 20/20.

I dunno, man, I've set up a ton of computers for old people and never had that big of a problem getting a readable setup going for them on an LCD.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Young blood

Where can I get a cheap internal hard drive for a laptop?

Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Just pull the old drive out first to determine if you need SATA or IDE (which Newegg annoying categorizes as just ATA in almost all cases).
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Young blood

Thanks "pants". There are some really good deals on that site.

No problem, gloves.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

HELP HELP HELP!!!

So I was just surfing online minding my own business when this fucking SPYERASER somehow made its way onto my computer. I cant find a way to get rid of it and it keeps popping up with this obnoxious siren sound telling me im infected and need to register the SPYERASER so I can clean out my comp.

I dont buy this shit for a second. How do I get rid of it???
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

please please help^^^^
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Salahja, did you catch the yellow fever?

Young blood

Its gayds isnt it?

my shout out to Randy.

haha lets all laugh at the poor gay boy with a fucked up computer

hahaha

Young blood

hahahahahahahaaaaahaha it is pretty funny.