Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer SOS!

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Default Re: Computer SOS!

In reference to the original question of this thread because one or more of you are doomed to come down with some version of the XP Antivirus 2008/2009/WinAntiVirusPro bundle sooner or later--it's fucking everywhere and spreading like wildfire and almost impossible to remove... unless you happen to be me. Here is the way to do it:

Search for SDFix, download it, follow the instructions to reboot into safe mode and run it. Also download Avast Antivirus (the 2009 and certain other versions will get around SDFix and require both Avast and SD in order to be removed) and follow the instructions to run that as well. These are pretty much the only options beyond doing a reinstall of Windows entirely.

For keeping your machine clean and safe in the future I recommend installing AVG Antivirus Free 8.0 and running CCleaner and Ad-Aware (I stand by Ad-Aware, Brad, although Spybot is also a good complementary app) once a week. This type of weekly maintenance will protect you from pretty much any kind of malware/virus/etc infection in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    how do you know she wasn't around?
    good point. that kinky slut.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    YEssssss thank you this worked!

I used MacTheRipper to get the disc into a VOB file on my desktop, and then used AppleMacSoft Video Converter to convert it to quicktime. And then I put them into my PowerPoint, and now my boss will be happy. Woooooo yay task complete.

I <3 you guys.
    So, Courtney, how did the presentation go?

For everyone else: do you have a preference when buying a hard drive? What do you swear by? What wouldn't you take if given to you?

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

that's a good question. I was about to buy a samsung drive (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article843-page1.html) for its quiet factor, but I would love to hear first from some people who've used samsungs for a few years. I don't want a disk that's going to crap out on me again.

I've had a internal Western Digital that In installed over 3 years ago and its worked like a charm....I also have a Western Digital Pro Book external which has worked for over a year and a half with no problems....I would def recommend WD drives to anyone, and same goes for Seagate. I have two Seagate external drives, and both work wonderfully, never had any problems on my end.

Seagate and WD. Maxtor makes an alright product nowadays too.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

OK I have a question, I have a home PC that I never use and the kids cruise myspace on it alot and since I have a teenage son there is probably some other sites he views that I care not to know about. Well it is running extremely slow lately. I have McAffee as my virus protection but I have run it quite a few times and nothing has come up. I have also gone through and removed the programs I don't want, cleaned cookies and all the other normal things you do then ran the defrag but nothing seems to work. I have tried to do a system restore and restore it to a previous point but it never let's me. Why does my system restore not work. Someone said it may be my virus protection but I have turned that off and it still won't work. Any suggestions?

get a new computer and quit picturing your son jerking off.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

ok ew, gross. and it is a fairly new computer, only like 2 years old.

thats not new. not even fairly new. fairly new would be like 2 months.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

McAfee sucks balls. Uninstall the whole thing and install AVG's free antivirus if you really think you need antivirus.

I use to use AVG all the time and ended up with a Trojen I could not get rid, which is why I bought this PC. Then I used Norton for awhile which sucks balls but I have never had a real issue with McAffee other then if that is the reason I can't restore to a previous time period. But I may try that and see if the AVG works. It doesn't really act like it has a virus, no pop ups or anything, it just lags alot.

I've been running the same computer since 2003. I'm still using the CRT monitor on it. I don't see the point in investing $199 for a nice LCD, when I could just save money for a year or so down the line and buy a whole new setup.

My first computer I got was bought used in 2002 and I used it till 2005 but it was at least 3 years old when I got it. It ran like a champ for years. This new one has had alot of problems. Which is why I am glad work gave me a laptop so I don't have to deal with it. I have high speed internet at home and the PC runs like it is on dial up (ok not that bad but close).

The McAfee product you bought likely has about eight resource-consuming applications built into it, including a shitty firewall and real-time scanning that slows everything down to a crawl. Uninstall.

Ok, thanks, I will try that, I know there is some other shit that comes on at start up that I don't need but I don't like going into that shit and deleting because I always worry it will be something I need someday. I know how to run programs, but not deal with the inner workings.

Problem solved.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

so, my laptop screen has had a pink hue for the last few days after it wakes up from sleep mode. well, im not positive its sleep mode. the screen saver comes on, then the screen goes black, when i move the mouse the screen shows the picture, but with a pink hue. it goes away after a few seconds, but it never did that before. anyone know what the deal is/may be?

Also, idling. if i were to....lets say.... be downloading some stuff, you know, that im not supposed to because i dont have the legal rights, where can you point me to find more info on this? or, better yet, what do you know about it. im dealing with ATT. uploading is fine, downloading is going much slower.

ur pc has pinkeyed ewww

so no help?

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

your laptop screen isn't likely to get any better. laptop screen issues are often caused by problems with the physical connection. you can try applying pressure to the area of the laptop where the screen hinges are, closest to the middle of the screen, but honestly if all you see is a bit of pink for a few seconds when the screen comes back on it's probably not worth worrying about unless it gets worse.

as for downloading, make sure you open a port to download on. find your router model, then the software you are using here: http://portforward.com/routers.htm. don't click the 'Click here to Automatically...' link, that's an ad.

thank you shaker. i got the port forwarding deal done, its not at the moment, but i know how to do it. i dont know thats the problem though, because it just recently started. maybe a week ago.

hehe, i searched what and the only thing that popped up was the thread you started. i use at&t though and i dont have any problems. i know that doesnt help.

Alright so... I need help.

I just my computer back. It has a ton of spyware and viruses on it... so they had to re-install my operating system. They backed everything up though, so all the files are here on my computer.
    First... how do I get all my music into my iTunes, short of doing it basically track by track?
    Second... all my old files are in transfered files folder. I want to make this the default for when I open up my "My Documents folder" I was told there was I way where I could create a shortcut from "My Documents" to my "Transfered files folder"... how do I do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

No one?
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Just wait until Dorkfish gets home he will help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    You were right. I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Alright so... I need help.

I just my computer back. It has a ton of spyware and viruses on it... so they had to re-install my operating system. They backed everything up though, so all the files are here on my computer.
    First... how do I get all my music into my iTunes, short of doing it basically track by track?
    Second... all my old files are in transfered files folder. I want to make this the default for when I open up my "My Documents folder" I was told there was I way where I could create a shortcut from "My Documents" to my "Transfered files folder"... how do I do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    click start, right click My Documents. choose Move. change the Target path to whatever your transferred files folders path is.
    you should be able to just drag whatever folder that has all your music into itunes.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

I clicked start, and then right clicked My Documents... the option to Move did not appear. I right clicked My Documents on my desktop... no Move option appeared their either. Options that came up were: Open, Explore, Search..., Copy, Show On Desktop, Rename, Properties.
    Now what?

Back on track hijack, the initial post of this thread is great!