Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1197

Thread: Computer SOS!

Default Re: Computer SOS!

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    Thanks. I looked at the DD-WRT forum and was a bit intimidated. I was hoping I could get an answer in English here, but will dive into that forum later if not.
    Understandable. The solution to something like this always dwells upon: "Did you try this?" "If not that, how about this?" And so on..
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

I got a new laptop (Windows 8) and the volume keys on the keyboard as well as the scroll up and down keys aren't working... Which is really annoying especially having to go to the volume icon and change it manually there. How do I get them to work?

1/29 Patti Smith @ Theatre At The Ace Hotel
    2/12 Babes In Toyland @ The Roxy
    5/1 Sleater-Kinney @ The Palladium

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    I got a new laptop (Windows 8) and the volume keys on the keyboard as well as the scroll up and down keys aren't working... Which is really annoying especially having to go to the volume icon and change it manually there. How do I get them to work?
    Have you tried Google'n your make and model with your question in the search as well? There might be an "F-Function" key that is or is not toggled causing this problem. Make, model of your laptop?
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Anyone else having trouble logging in to the Coachella forum via their smartphone? Goldenvoice recently updated the site so that when you want to log in to the forum, you're actually logging in to the full website experience. But, for the past week, I've barely been able to login to the site and can never get the forum to load once I am logged in. Firstly, everything on the Coachella.com domain seems to slow my phone down to a crawl--it loads much more slowly than any other website I visit. After inputting my UN and PW, the browser very slowly loads a plain blank white page. If I go "back" on my browser from that plain white page I'm taken back to the main Coachella page where I am now logged in, but if I then select the forum from all of the options on that main page, I get another blank white page and going "back" from that page does not get me into the forum, but simply loads the same blank white page. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy s3, Verizon. This happens whether on WiFi or on 4g, and happens with both the built-in browser and with Chrome and Firefox. I have no trouble accessing any other website or with logging into other forums online that appear to use the same style messageboard. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Edited to say:
    Note, if visiting coachella.com/forum, I can view the forum, but once I try to log-in, I cannot return to the forum as a logged in user.

I'm happy to report that I got my router issues sorted and the powerline adapter to wireless access point is working very nicely. I now have good wifi coverage throughout the house. Thanks, thelastgreatman, for suggesting the powerline option and thanks, vogina, for pushing me to the dd-wrt forums.

I also put a new CD/DVD drive in my PC and it's working fine. It's been a good weekend for me, techwise...

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i don't know if it's windows 8.1 or my laptop, but when i am moving my finger on the mousepad from right to left or left tonight, it tabs to another window. it's really obnoxious trying to edit photos as every single time it goes to another window. is there a way to turn off this completely useless feature? thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

i have trouble logging in too. i have to hit reply and log in that way. otherwise if i click log in it takes me to some coachella.com login page i've never seen and my credentials don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i don't know if it's windows 8.1 or my laptop, but when i am moving my finger on the mousepad from right to left or left tonight, it tabs to another window. it's really obnoxious trying to edit photos as every single time it goes to another window. is there a way to turn off this completely useless feature? thanks
    I've grown to like that feature, but only after I got used to my touchpad and stopped swiping from the outside of it accidentally, but yes you can turn it off from control panel>touchpad. it will probably be called left edge swipe. also, it only works between metro apps and the desktop and doesn't switch between apps within the destop so if you close all of your metro apps it won't bother you either.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

You're connecting to the wrong router. You want to the Asus and linksys up with different IP addresses and possibly even different wireless network names so can tell what you're connecting t In the Asus config, change the LAN IP to 192.168.10.1, hit apply, then go to http://192.168.10.1 in your browser, you should get the Asus screen. Now change the wireless network name to anything else, just put a number at the end or something so you can distinguish it from the linksys network. After applying those settings, if the original network name is still an option try connecting and going to the original IP, hopefully you'll get the dd-wrt page. If that doesn't work, hard reset the linksys. If that doesn't work, you bricked it and you're fucked

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I've grown to like that feature, but only after I got used to my touchpad and stopped swiping from the outside of it accidentally, but yes you can turn it off from control panel>touchpad. it will probably be called left edge swipe. also, it only works between metro apps and the desktop and doesn't switch between apps within the destop so if you close all of your metro apps it won't bother you either.
    thank you, that is helpful. that features seems so useless to me when you can alt-tab. why would i want to make it difficult to use the mouse?! i really just want to throw this thing out the window. it came with hard drive errors on day one and won't power back on without a manual restart when i close and re-open the lid. and it won't let me enter my password for protected PDF documents, which is how i read my online textbooks. i hope everyone involved with creating windows 8 and this stupid laptop were fired.

alt+tab and windows+tab are mostly used to switch apps within desktop mode (even though it also includes metro apps), but the left edge swipe is to switch between metro apps (with the "desktop app" included). it would make a lot more sense for someone with a touchscreen.

sounds to me like all of your issues are Dell related and not windows 8. I'd probably want to return it or exchange it if it had hard drive errors on the first day.
    2012 2013 2014

i am working on it with dell. i really hope they make a version of windows for people who want to do work on a computer and not a tablet.

If you haven't yet, upgrade to 8.1. It makes Windows 8 much better without a touchscreen.
    2012 2013 2014

thanks, it did come with 8.1. so they are sending a tech out to replace my hard drive. the other issue with the lid and sleep mode had something to do with my wireless card and now works. they also fixed the adobe issue.

another question, when it's all fixed, what's the best way to get my old files to the new laptop? i backed up my old files regularly on an external hard drive, but they are in like a backup format and i noticed i can't really access them like normal files. i appreciate the help

there's probably some software you can download from the PC manufacturer or the drive manufacturer (depending on who provided the software you used) to browse/restore the backup files.

glad you're getting it replaced!
    2012 2013 2014

d*oh, i should have asked about that while i was on the phone today.

well the technician called asking if i was free this afternoon. i have meetings, and my whole job is meetings. i don't have a "free time" to give him. so i asked him what his availability was like the next few days and he didn't know. i told him i'd have to cancel something or move something around and need advance notice and he refused to give me time options. so i told him i would just exchange the product since i can't quit my job to fix their stupid error. he didn't care, he's a contractor. whatever.

at this point, i was ready to exchange. i had to call FOUR DIFFERENT PHONE NUMBERS today. i spoke to six people before someone could finally help me with an exchange. i was ready to just return it, but the guy was super helpful and now i'm getting a new one in two weeks. holy christ this is the last dell i buy.

This isn't an SOS, but just a question. I'm having a little trouble understanding the fundamental differences between a web app and a website. Is a web app simply a website that has been responsively designed with native-app-like features, generally using HTML5? If so, is that all that differentiates a web app from a website? Help me out here.

i am unable to log into the board from my laptop and my tablet. when i click "login" (whether at the top of the page or when replying to a post), it takes me to some screen about logging into a "coachella account". my board username and password do not work. it appears to want some sort of frontgate login. anyone know how to log into the board with your board account? thank you

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

That's the way it makes me log in nowadays. It does accept your board login. At first I had a trouble getting it to work - it would never load the next page. It mysteriously started working the same day I sent an email to info@coachella.com. I never figured out what was wrong.

thanks, i sent an email

please try to contain your shock at the fact that the replacement laptop doesn't work properly either. hard drive is fine, but computer refuses to come out of sleep mode when you open the lid. i also spent two days trying to get it to power on. after an hour on the phone, they will return. their phone people are retarded. i always have to talk to four people at least. they also tried to tell me the thirty days were up when it arrived last week. oh, and they tried to tell me i already returned the new laptop the second it arrived. instead of returning the broke. one like i did.

so what other PC brands do you guys like?

I like my samsung, but to be honest I don't really care about any particular PC brand since the first thing I usually do is wipe the drive and install a clean copy of windows.
    2012 2013 2014

the main thing I look for in a laptop is the placement of the ctrl key, lol. I hate laptops that don't have the ctrl key in the very bottom left corner.
    2012 2013 2014

omg me too. my lenovo at work has it in a weird spot too.

Been driving myself crazy for the last couple hours trying to figure out any end-around to get my old but very excellent high-res Epson 1200U scanner to function with my new computer. Epson doesn't make 8.1 drivers for this model (hooray for planned obsolescence!), and I've tried all the tricks I could find on Google to try to get the machine to accept the drivers then upgrade/alter the compatibility, to no avail. I hate that a perfectly functional piece of hardware may have to go out the window, just because of the damn drivers. :/

If anyone has had any experience with this, advice would be much appreciated (as long as that advice is not "get a new scanner").
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Norton 360 is about to expire on my home PC. I don't want to pay to renew it because I have a new computer arriving in two weeks which will come pre-loaded with anti-virus software. However, I don't want my my current PC to be vulnerable in the interim. Any recommendations on a free anti-virus system to dl or are they all useless?
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Microsoft Security Essentials is a great free antivirus and if you want to be covered a bit better, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a wonderful program. If you want to be nice and actually pay them for it (it's easy to find stolen licenses), they're only like 29 bucks or something and it's for a lifetime. Really fair piece of software, but will work for free too you just have to run it manually.

So, that^ new laptop I was supposed to receive in March will not be arriving until the end of April. Don't ask. I'm on my crappy 2006 Gateway desktop PC with Windows XP until then. And because I was expecting to have my new laptop by now, I snoozed on this April 8 deadline for Windows XP. I'm sure most of you know that Windows has declared that they will be ending support for XP tomorrow and that everyone is advised to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8. There are lots of dire warnings about the end of the support period and about my PC becoming riddled with internet AIDS and hackers stealing all of my personal information and using it to take out mortgages in my name and steal my wife etc. However, after a quick bit of internet research, I'm seeing articles like this from back in January saying that Windows has actually decided to extend support for virus/malware protection through July 2015. So, before I run out and waste money on Windows 7, could anyone confirm whether or not I'll be okay continuing with XP for the next few weeks?

Per your recommendations, I'm currently running MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

I've been scrambling to replace the last couple dozen of our XP machines, but 4/8 isn't really doomsday for XP. it's the final patch tuesday and then going forward newly discovered vulnerabilities just won't be patched. internet AIDS will still be several months away.
    2012 2013 2014

I can't seem to find the Set Times. Is there something wrong with my computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    Been driving myself crazy for the last couple hours trying to figure out any end-around to get my old but very excellent high-res Epson 1200U scanner to function with my new computer. Epson doesn't make 8.1 drivers for this model (hooray for planned obsolescence!), and I've tried all the tricks I could find on Google to try to get the machine to accept the drivers then upgrade/alter the compatibility, to no avail. I hate that a perfectly functional piece of hardware may have to go out the window, just because of the damn drivers. :/

If anyone has had any experience with this, advice would be much appreciated (as long as that advice is not "get a new scanner").
    You might be able to get basic functionality using one of the generic drivers included with windows. if those don't get it working, you can try similar epson drivers and see if you can get those working, but it can be tricky. scanners pretty much all use twain, so look around for universal twain drivers.
    2012 2013 2014

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I find it slightly amusing that Microsoft has been warnings everyone about end of support for XP for two years and now everyone is scrambling.