Page 1 of 38 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1134

Thread: Computer SOS!

  1. #1
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,306

    Default Computer SOS!

    I realize I've asked a similar question before but this situation is considerably different and more annoying/worrisome. First, full disclosure, I was looking up porn last night and a pop-up for WinAntiVirusPro2007 came up. I accidentally hit "OK" instead of "Cancel." About 2 seconds into it uploading to my computer, I hit "Cancel." A few minutes later, though, the icon popped up on my desktop and right next to my Prevx icon in the lower right corner of my computer. I uninstalled it, ran an Ad-Aware scan, and when all of that was done, I shut my computer down. When I turned it back on this afternoon and got onto Explorer, every time I'd go to a different website, another page will pop up. (Like "Crush Calculator" or stupid shit like that.) I ran a Prevx scan of my computer and it said no malware was detected. (Even now, my status code is "Good.") I ran another Ad-Aware scan and no tracking cookies or other harmful devices were identified. I went to my tools and deleted all cookies and temporary internet files. And yet when I hit "submit new thread," along with being redirected to the Lounge, I will have another window open up on my computer directing me to a page I have no desire to visit. What else can I do?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

  2. #2
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Download HijackThis from www.download.com. Run it, run a scan and save the logfile. Then copy and paste it in here, I'll tell you what needs to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  3. #3
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,306

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 8:18:39 PM, on 8/28/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

    Running processes:
    E:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\System32\hixbtxue.exe
    E:\Program Files\Prevx2\PXAgent.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    E:\Program Files\Prevx2\PXConsole.exe
    E:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
    E:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    E:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
    E:\windows\system32\lsdsrngs.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\System32\mwintmdt.exe
    E:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Search Protection\SearchProtection.exe
    E:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNo tifier.exe
    E:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    E:\PROGRA~1\Ahead\NEROPH~2\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
    E:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LogitechDesktopMessenger .exe
    E:\Program Files\PhotoStudio Expressions\PMMonitor.exe
    E:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    E:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
    E:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    E:\Documents and Settings\a\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.prevx.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.prevx.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/...ch/search.html
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.prevx.com
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = http://www.prevx.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = http://www.prevx.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
    R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - E:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - E:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - E:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - e:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrevxOne] "E:\Program Files\Prevx2\PXConsole.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winupdates] E:\Program Files\winupdates\winupdates.exe /auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] E:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] E:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "E:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdwareAlert] E:\Program Files\AdwareAlert\AdwareAlert.exe -boot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "E:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "E:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "E:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] E:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{00-00-00-04-ZN}] E:\windows\system32\lsdsrngs.exe CHD003
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ExploreUpdSched] E:\WINDOWS\System32\mwintmdt.exe CHD003
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Salestart] "E:\Program Files\Common Files\WinAntiVirus Pro 2007\mav_startupmon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemOptimizer] rundll32.exe "E:\WINDOWS\System32\kmptirck.dll",forkonce
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [YSearchProtection] "E:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Search Protection\SearchProtection.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] E:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNo tifier.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "E:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "E:\Program Files\BitTorrent\bittorrent.exe" --force_start_minimized
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "E:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager] E:\PROGRA~1\Ahead\NEROPH~2\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
    O4 - Startup: TA_Start.lnk = E:\WINDOWS\system32\lsdsrngs.exe
    O4 - Startup: Think-Adz.lnk = E:\WINDOWS\system32\mwintmdt.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = E:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LogitechDesktopMessenger .exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Monitor.lnk = E:\Program Files\PhotoStudio Expressions\PMMonitor.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://E:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - E:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
    O18 - Protocol: bwfile-8876480 - {9462A756-7B47-47BC-8C80-C34B9B80B32B} - E:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\GAPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
    O23 - Service: DomainService - - E:\WINDOWS\System32\hixbtxue.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - E:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Nero AG - E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
    O23 - Service: InCD Helper (read only) (InCDsrvR) - Nero AG - E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - E:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: PREVXAgent - Unknown owner - E:\Program Files\Prevx2\PXAgent.exe" -f (file missing)
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

  4. #4
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    wtf?

    Try running Windows Defender - a free program

    Try Spybot Search & Destroy - a free program

    Do a complete virus scan
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  5. #5
    Bambi menikmati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    15,062

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    actually HijackThis is a good program to have in this situation.

  6. #6
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 8:18:39 PM, on 8/28/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

    Running processes:
    E:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\System32\hixbtxue.exe
    E:\Program Files\Prevx2\PXAgent.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    E:\Program Files\Prevx2\PXConsole.exe
    E:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
    E:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    E:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
    E:\windows\system32\lsdsrngs.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\System32\mwintmdt.exe
    E:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Search Protection\SearchProtection.exe
    E:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNo tifier.exe
    E:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    E:\PROGRA~1\Ahead\NEROPH~2\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
    E:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LogitechDesktopMessenger .exe
    E:\Program Files\PhotoStudio Expressions\PMMonitor.exe
    E:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    E:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    E:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
    E:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    E:\Documents and Settings\a\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.prevx.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.prevx.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/...ch/search.html
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.prevx.com
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = http://www.prevx.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = http://www.prevx.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
    R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - E:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - E:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - E:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - e:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrevxOne] "E:\Program Files\Prevx2\PXConsole.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winupdates] E:\Program Files\winupdates\winupdates.exe /auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] E:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] E:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "E:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdwareAlert] E:\Program Files\AdwareAlert\AdwareAlert.exe -boot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "E:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "E:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "E:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] E:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe

    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{00-00-00-04-ZN}] E:\windows\system32\lsdsrngs.exe CHD003
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ExploreUpdSched] E:\WINDOWS\System32\mwintmdt.exe CHD003
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Salestart] "E:\Program Files\Common Files\WinAntiVirus Pro 2007\mav_startupmon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemOptimizer] rundll32.exe "E:\WINDOWS\System32\kmptirck.dll",forkonce
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [YSearchProtection] "E:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Search Protection\SearchProtection.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] E:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNo tifier.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "E:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "E:\Program Files\BitTorrent\bittorrent.exe" --force_start_minimized
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "E:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager] E:\PROGRA~1\Ahead\NEROPH~2\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
    O4 - Startup: TA_Start.lnk = E:\WINDOWS\system32\lsdsrngs.exe
    O4 - Startup: Think-Adz.lnk = E:\WINDOWS\system32\mwintmdt.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = E:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LogitechDesktopMessenger .exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Monitor.lnk = E:\Program Files\PhotoStudio Expressions\PMMonitor.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://E:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - E:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
    O18 - Protocol: bwfile-8876480 - {9462A756-7B47-47BC-8C80-C34B9B80B32B} - E:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\GAPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
    O23 - Service: DomainService - - E:\WINDOWS\System32\hixbtxue.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - E:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Nero AG - E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
    O23 - Service: InCD Helper (read only) (InCDsrvR) - Nero AG - E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - E:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: PREVXAgent - Unknown owner - E:\Program Files\Prevx2\PXAgent.exe" -f (file missing)
    Check everything underlined, investigate that film I bolded and italicized--check the properties to see whether or not it's for anything you use, and then have it delete all those entries. They're startup entries, you don't need them and one of them is your adware.

    Then try to install that WinVirus whatever thing, run ad-aware, maybe defender.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  7. #7
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Back off gay--I'm a hired geek.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  8. #8
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,846

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    this seems obvious, but look at your installed programs list. if that WinVirus thing is there, try uninstalling it. adaware etc may not be flagging it if it thinks it's a legitimately installed program.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  9. #9
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    You're out of your element, Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  10. #10
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,846

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    if you say so, albert. but it's worked for me in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  11. #11
    Coachella Junkie dorkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    12,280

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    winantiviruspro is part of the family of the most malicious difficult to cleanse spyware out there. at least it's not a rootkit, though
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

  12. #12
    Coachella Junkie dorkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    12,280

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    oh and adaware blows now. just saying.

    spybot and whoever bought ewido are the way to go these days. adaware became lazy corporate ruined junk last year. it's bulky and relatively useless for the new strains.

    for what it's worth all the decent spyware removal tools should find winantiviruspro being as its on all the badlists.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

  13. #13
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    You personally familiar with the removal technique, Dorkfish? I haven't encountered it myself, being unemployed. Come Thursday thought I start teching again.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  14. #14
    Bambi menikmati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    15,062

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Isn't it just McAfee and Norton making/coding all these viruses, to keep themselves in business? Har Har...

  15. #15
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Spybot actually got good? I always hated Spybot. Ad-aware was my baby back during the initial malware boom--I've always had a special place in my heart for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  16. #16
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Back off gay--I'm a hired geek.
    You'd genocide computers.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  17. #17
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Viruses barely exist anymore, it's all adware/spyware/trojans.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  18. #18
    Coachella Junkie dorkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    12,280

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    You personally familiar with the removal technique, Dorkfish? I haven't encountered it myself, being unemployed. Come Thursday thought I start teching again.
    it's something like turn off system restore. run spybot/adaware/ewido/virus scan in safe mode rebooting as many times as needed. remove all registry keys for winantivirus. hijackthis log. remove the bad entries (hijackthis.de if you're not keen on knowing what's cool to blast away). run the smitfraud removal tool, because I think it uses part of their coding, if I remember right.

    takes awhile.

    however, having a ghost image or the like of your system in a good state, while storing your data on a separate drive and just reimaging takes much less time. but nobody is that precautionary other than losers like myself.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

  19. #19
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Oh lord, one of those fucking bundles.

    Somewhat, you've got problems that are too involved for me to do the amount of typing required to walk you through it at this hour. Sorry. Dork, feel free to take the reigns, I'm drunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  20. #20
    Coachella Junkie dorkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    12,280

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    it's quicker to just learn from others past efforts:

    http://help.lockergnome.com/general/...pict37771.html
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

  21. #21
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,306

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Thanks for the help. I thought I made some progress but the pop-ups keeping, well, popping up. This may seem like a stupid question but how exactly does one go about rebooting to Safe Mode? I followed what that guy said in the link you provided, dorkfish, hitting F8 while my computer's loading up, but the menu that comes up doesn't have "Safe Mode" as an option. And since you're saying Spybot > Ad-Aware, should I uninstall Ad-Aware and resort to using Spybot exclusively? (I've still got to finish installing it.) Thanks for the help.

    Oh! From my control panel, some programs in my Add/Remove list that have me suspicious (I already deleted this ThinkAdz program, which was in there twice):
    Gear Drivers
    Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
    Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
    Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
    Windows HP Hotfix-KB842773
    MSN Music Assistant (this one doesn't so much have me suspicious as much as I wonder if I need it -- I use iTunes most of the time anyway, but is it affiliated with Windows Media Player?)
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

  22. #22
    Cobra psychic friend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    valley girl
    Posts
    9,312

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    First, full disclosure, I was looking up porn last night
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

  23. #23
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    use the pop-up blockers that most browsers and security software have
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Just reload Windows. It's way easier than all this bullshit.

  25. #25
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,306

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    That's what I was thinking. I'm going to give it another crack when I get home from work in a few hours, though. Ah, being stubborn...
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

  26. #26
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,940

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    To reboot in safe mode you have to change the start up when your computer is runnign then it will restart that way. When you are done you change the settings back. Just go to your windows explorer help search thing and search ''reboot safe mode''or somethign to that extent. Its pretty easy, all you have to do is change one thing. (I cant guide you to do it cause this comp at work has all that stuff disabled)

  27. #27
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,133

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Congratulations, you have chosen the most ridiculously difficult to get rid of adware known to man.

  28. #28
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,306

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Because I know EVERYONE was dying to know the outcome, I had to end up taking my computer to a friend's neighbor, who heads the computer department at the UofA. He put Sophos and Firefox on my computer but the Trojan I got had burrowed deeply in so he just rebuilt it. Thanks again for all the support and condolences.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

  29. #29
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,035

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    rebuilt = insert windows xp cd, reformat hard drive, reinstall windows, done
    you know i just bought a laptop from circut city and not only DIDNT you get the OS disk, but they wanted to charge us $70 to make a recovery disk ... i couldnt believe it .... then when we said no, he comes back with"well if you pc crashes, no one will ever be able to fix it and it will be trash" , trying to scare us ... then we went home, and burned a recovery disk (well actually 3 i think) and it took all of a few minutes and a bucks worth of disks .. cr****

  30. #30
    Member g0k1ngsg0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Ubuntu ftw!

Similar Threads

  1. Computer question
    By Somewhat Damaged in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 10:40 AM
  2. OK Computer Tribute Album
    By luckyface in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 02:13 PM
  3. Stereogum Presents...OKX: A Tribute to OK Computer
    By Tylerdurden31 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 12:20 PM
  4. I'm looking for a computer program...
    By Good Days Last in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 12:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •