Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer SOS!

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Default Re: Computer SOS!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    IS WARIO GAY
    http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...tefon/1402551/
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    The wireless router is blocking the ports your iPhones are configured to use. This is pretty common with sending emails but not so much with receiving, are you having the issues with both sending and receiving or just sending? By default, the port most email accounts try to send over is port 25 with a lot of IT companies/high-end routers block by default to reduce spam. If you're getting the issue both sending and receiving, something is very weird with your IT company. Loca, can you go into the Settings for your mail account and go into both the Incoming Server settings and Outgoing Server settings and find out what port each is set to use? You will probably have to hit a button for Show Advanced Settings or something on your iPhone in order to get it to display this info. If you have trouble getting to the right screens, just google "what port is my iphone email server setting" or something like that.

If you find that it's set to port 25, try using 587 instead. If you're getting the issue with incoming mail too this might be trickier. Oh, also let me know whether or not Incoming and Outgoing have encryption enabled (they'll either have None, SSL, TLS, or Auto).
    Randy, I can't send while on the wifi either. I tried to find what you were talking about under settings, no luck. This is a little beyond my basic computer knowledge. But thanks for trying to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

That's why I said google it. Here, this is the screen you need to get to, the advanced SMTP settings: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/...ail/#section_4
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I did google and it wasn't helpful, it was just a bunch of techs answering other dumbasses in some tech language I didn't understand. When I follow the directions on the link you provided it gets me to accounts, which my choices are exchange & add account, I go to exchange and then it doesn't seem to follow along with the directions, it doesn't give me an option for advanced settings either, it just lists my email, server, domain, username, password, then has Use SSL which is on, and S/MIME which is off (none of which make sense to me). I still get email as long as I don't turn on my wifi at work, so it's not that big of a deal, but I appreciate the help.

That's why I said google it. Here, this is the screen you need to get to, the advanced SMTP settings: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/...ail/#section_4
    You are assuming she is using a pop account. This is a company phone so there is a good chance this is an exchange account. If so, it's more likely a DNS or routing issue that prevents the wifi network from communicating with their exchange server.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Pop or Imap, yes, I did assume. For some reason it seemed doubtful to me that Audra worked for a company professional enough to have an Exchange server. If they're accessing it over 3G but not their own wifi, my suspicion is it's hosted Exchange which means you're still dealing with port issues.

Audra, what's it say in the Server field?

Pop or Imap, yes, I did assume. For some reason it seemed doubtful to me that Audra worked for a company professional enough to have an Exchange server. If they're accessing it over 3G but not their own wifi, my suspicion is it's hosted Exchange which means you're still dealing with port issues.

Audra, what's it say in the Server field?
    mail.mycompanyname.com

I think I could probably fix your issue if you let me remote into a machine connected to the WiFi at your office, depending on whether or not the IT company gave you the login credentials to the firewall assuming they changed it from the default username and password. It would be username: admin and some password. Or if you can tell me the brand and model of the firewall it'll give me an idea how likely it is that they changed it.

Also, PM me what it actually says instead of mycompanyname and I'll run some tests on what ports are supposed to be open

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

this seems helpful

last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    mail.mycompanyname.com
    in your iphone, go to settings->mail, contacts, calendars->click on your work account->then tell me if it says "Exchange" at the top of the screen.

Yes, it is exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    Yes, it is exchange.
    So yea, don't listen to Randy. He's clueless. It's some kind of DNS or routing issue between the wifi network and the exchange server. The problem is it's pretty hard to troubleshoot without having any idea on how your network is set up. The one thing Randy was right about, is that any semi-competent IT consultant should be able to figure this out no problem. The fact that they can't is pretty troubling. You should really hire somebody else.

Yeah, it's on my list of things to do. Unfortunately my boss wants to find good and cheap. Those two don't usually go together. Thanks to both of you for attempting to help.

Randy giving technical advice....

i chuckled immensely at the very idea..
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Isn't he a screenwriter?

yeah... something about New Jersey being a haven of more screenwriting talent than Los Angeles.... that was his sage wisdom like 4 years ago

I guess Coachella doesn't use Godaddy for their hosting service. Some hacker is raising up a glass of virtual champagne in a toast to himself or having another candy bar or whatever they do in celebration. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ty?ft=1&f=1006

Have some customers whose email has been down for hours. My site is still up and unaffected. Must have only hit certain servers.

i wonder how all the frats are gonna get the word out about their mixers now

probably yelling

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    I guess Coachella doesn't use Godaddy for their hosting service. .
    They should.

Alright got another question.

So i plug in my iphone to sync and what not and it says it can't sync because i dont have itunes 10.7.

So right now im running my mac on Leopard. And i go and install the new itunes 10.7, however one of the pre-reqs is that you need to have snow leopard to run the new itunes.

So heres my question: WTF, does this mean i need to upgrade to a different OS? if so its like apple is shafting everyone for thirty more bucks no?

or is there a way around this that im completely missing.
    Africa doesn't count.

Calling all video experts. Have a computer-related dilemma.

Someone I know was given a dvd with some apparently very important video, and nobody knows what to do with this disc. I was drafted to help, but I'm also stumped with this one.

The DVD-R contains two folders, "9-12-12" and "Interigation" (yes, spelled like that). Each one contains around 700 BMP files that are all variations of the same "ViewlogXXXX_Metal_SomethingSomething.bmp" and some .DLL files. As for video? There are a few files alleged by Windows Explorer to be video clips, but do not have file extensions, show no video when opened in any video player I have, and absolutely nothing happens when I try to copy them to my hard drive, except that Windows Explorer eventually stops responding. I've attached a couple screengrabs:

9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Are those the only files on the whole disc? They are only 27megs and not that big. If there are indeed video files you might want to sort by filesize and grab the biggest ones as those are most likely the video files.

To get specifics on each file, grab mediainfo: mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en and have it analyze the files. It'll tell you a bunch of information like codec and stuff like that. Once you have that you can get a viewer that will watch them.

I'll give that a try, thanks!

Edit: Mediainfo stops responding immediately. Hmm.

Edit 2: Got it to open one. GeoVision Advanced MPEG-4
    Last edited by Boourns; 10-03-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    So yea, don't listen to Randy. He's clueless. It's some kind of DNS or routing issue between the wifi network and the exchange server. The problem is it's pretty hard to troubleshoot without having any idea on how your network is set up. The one thing Randy was right about, is that any semi-competent IT consultant should be able to figure this out no problem. The fact that they can't is pretty troubling. You should really hire somebody else.
    Oh fuck you dickhead. I've helped Loca with her problems before and none of the other companies she worked for were the kinds of shops that would actually have an in-house exchange server so I assumed this was the same. I already know what the fix to Loca's deal is but without access to both their WAP and their firewall I can't fix it otherwise I would have already done it remotely. They have two public IPs, the WAP needs to be configured to bridge across and re-route any traffic headed for their mail server's external name to the internal DNS of their mailserver. Fucking jagoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    I'll give that a try, thanks!

Edit: Mediainfo stops responding immediately. Hmm.

Edit 2: Got it to open one. GeoVision Advanced MPEG-4
    Hmm, looks like you can get the codecs here: http://www.free-codecs.com/geovision...c_download.htm

Or one of these packages should have it: http://www.ezcctv.com/software-download.htm

Try Mplayer. Not much of an interface, but it plays just about everything known to man to the best of my knowledge.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

when i stream movies on netflix or hbogo in full screen, my laptop has started randomly displaying the task bar. i have to click on the movie to make it go away. how can i stop this? thanks
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Try changing your taskbar setting to Auto-Hide when watching movies?

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

why is windows 8 so fucking retarded? my dad just got it installed on his laptop. no fucking dvd playback program, so i downloaded one for him. and he plugged in an HDMI cable to his laptop & the tv to stream movies, but it doesn't work. google makes it seem like this is a common problem. i can't fix this for him any advice?

*edit* i tried updating the audio & video drivers with no luck. what the holy fuck. why does windows 8 suck so much? they've even made it difficult to find the fucking restart button. i was totally planning on buying windows 8 with my tax money but not anymore.
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 11-22-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.