Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer SOS!

Default Re: Computer SOS!

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    The trackpad on my Macbook Pro just stopped working. Or rather, the arrow will move around the screen when I move my finger, but I can't get it to click on anything.

It's surprisingly impossible to navigate pretty much any single anything when you can't mouse click. Fuuuuuck.

PS I fixed this. I bought an external mouse.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    I've moved recently, have a new internet provider, new router, now I can't upload because my mac doesn't have the router's full info. Can anyone tell me how i connect my macbook to the router wirelessly? I know i go to system preferences but after that i'm lost

thanks
    Enough comments from the peanut gallery, thanks though guys.

Klein, who's your service provider, what kind of service? Where's the problem in the connection breaking down? Do you have other machines connected wirelessly and you're saying that those same settings aren't working for your mac or just that when they set your new service up they only connected the one machine and you're not sure how to retrieve those settings to put it in your mac? Feel free to PM me if you want actually useful step by step instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    PS I fixed this. I bought an external mouse.
    Good call - much better than an internal mouse, where you have to move the whole Macbook around your desk.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Welp, I guess it's pointless to try to be helpful with Randy around.

Watch out, folks, RANDY'S GOT IT COVERED
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

Well, considering that this is what I do for a living and all the recommendations thus far are completely useless, you can either take my help or go shove it up your ass.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

But yeah, you're right, Chili Peppers boy, what would be a GREAT idea is if he reset the wireless modem/router his ISP gave him (pretty much every modem you get nowadays has wireless routing functionality built in, it's fucking obvious from the dude's question if you know a goddamn thing about how to actually help people asking his question). That way BOTH his computers will lose internet and he'll still have no clue how the fuck to connect. Good call, dipshit.

if i replace my graphics card, i wont lose anything right? like i can change it and my computer will just be like, oh nothing happened. or will it mess everything up?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

As long as it has compatible drivers with your OS i can't imagine you'll have any issues. If the monitor doesn't display you'll know you have an issue, but i don't know why it would affect anything else.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by H_is_O View Post
    if i replace my graphics card, i wont lose anything right? like i can change it and my computer will just be like, oh nothing happened. or will it mess everything up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    As long as it has compatible drivers with your OS i can't imagine you'll have any issues. If the monitor doesn't display you'll know you have an issue, but i don't know why it would affect anything else.
    True. But remember to buy something that, like Drinkey said, is compatible to your OS driver (or the ones you will need to install) and also compatible with your MOBO. Even more so, a graphics card is probably one of the easiest things to replace in a computer. However... Too many times does someone go out and buy a kick ass graphics card that exceeds their replaced relic only to be disappointed in actual use. Why? Because most of the time the monitor you have is old, the MOBO won't support the most current features the graphics card comes with (Direct X 11, HD, etc etc), and even your OS might not be the latest in the batch of Windows or MAC OS.

So, just head on over to a Fry's or a Microcenter if you are lucky, and ask someone. OR the best and easiest bet is to look up your computer specs, find out what MOBO (mother board) you have, and see what is compatible. Chances are if it is an older system, there is plenty information out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Thank you!

How old is the computer and is it a slimline model? If it was made in the last three years and it's a full size desktop, all you need to do is buy any PCI-Express video card and plug it in, run the driver disk, and you're done.

its a macbook from 2007, and i really want to play star craft II but my graphics card is not awesome enough

Oh then nevermind, you can't replace shit and don't attempt it. If you want to try to upgrade the graphics card take it into an Apple store and see what they say. Odds are you're fucked. You can't just upgrade video components in laptops like that unless there's a higher-end card specifically made for your model of Mac since Apple goes out of their way to try to make it impossible to upgrade your Mac yourself.

10.4 thanks dude

Do you mean your graphics card isn't awesome enough in that it doesn't meet the minimum requirements of the game or just that it doesn't handle running the game well?

Any excel-formula experts out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Any excel-formula experts out there?
    Go.

Anyone ever re-solder a broken USB plug back to a thumb drive's board? Google tells me that it's both "easy, just strip some wires" and "impossible, you'll destroy pads and render it useless."
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

At some point in the middle of the day yesterday our company iPhones stopped receiving emails. It has something to do with the wifi connection, as soon as we turn wifi off the emails came through. Our IT company has one guy who has ran into this problem before but he is on vacation for a week. Has anyone else ran into this? Is there an easy fix that I can wow my bosses with?
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

You won't wow your bosses with your grammar.

You haven't met my bosses.

Ha. Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    At some point in the middle of the day yesterday our company iPhones stopped receiving emails. It has something to do with the wifi connection, as soon as we turn wifi off the emails came through. Our IT company has one guy who has ran into this problem before but he is on vacation for a week. Has anyone else ran into this? Is there an easy fix that I can wow my bosses with?
    The wireless router is blocking the ports your iPhones are configured to use. This is pretty common with sending emails but not so much with receiving, are you having the issues with both sending and receiving or just sending? By default, the port most email accounts try to send over is port 25 with a lot of IT companies/high-end routers block by default to reduce spam. If you're getting the issue both sending and receiving, something is very weird with your IT company. Loca, can you go into the Settings for your mail account and go into both the Incoming Server settings and Outgoing Server settings and find out what port each is set to use? You will probably have to hit a button for Show Advanced Settings or something on your iPhone in order to get it to display this info. If you have trouble getting to the right screens, just google "what port is my iphone email server setting" or something like that.

If you find that it's set to port 25, try using 587 instead. If you're getting the issue with incoming mail too this might be trickier. Oh, also let me know whether or not Incoming and Outgoing have encryption enabled (they'll either have None, SSL, TLS, or Auto).

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    Anyone ever re-solder a broken USB plug back to a thumb drive's board? Google tells me that it's both "easy, just strip some wires" and "impossible, you'll destroy pads and render it useless."
    I hate doing board repairs myself so I'd take it in to any place that does laptop repairs and just offer them 20 bucks to do it for you personally. It'll take them like a minute.

I am super stoned right now but I will check that tomorrow. They had just swapped out our firewall last week, we recieved emails all weekend then tuesday at 1 pm they stopped. Not sure if we were able to send, but I will check tomorrow when I get to work also.

Thanks Randy.

The fact that only one person at your IT provider apparently knows what to look for when confronted with this problem is fucking insane. This is like email 101 if you're a network tech.

So far I don't have much faith in the company at all. I am being pushed to fire them and shop for another. I seriously hate this shit.

Seriously, if they can't figure that out you should absolutely fire them. Like, I'm not being dramatic--if there's only one person in that company who understands why email would send differently through their firewall than through a cell connection they have no idea what the fuck they're doing. If I knew anyone out in Phoenix I'd try to get you a recommendation but I ain't got a clue.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

IS WARIO GAY
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I know I need to, but I just went through this, my boss went for the cheaper company and now I have to do it again. It's one of the reasons I wanted to stab people all day.