Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer SOS!

Default Re: Computer SOS!

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    I'm pretty sure the post yu quoted actually states the answer to your question. Security Essentials, CCleaner, Malwarebytes. Run the last two once a week. Uncheck the box in CCleaner for History, Cookies, and Windows Log Files.
    Well you said "CC Cleaner or it's equivalents" so I was looking for a clarification on what "its equivalents" you recommend or if CC Cleaner is the best option. But, I'll go with CCleaner and Malwarebytes. Thanks.

I'm not about to listen to any bullshit that thinks it can tell people they probably won't need Java. That's fucking ridiculous.

SMART HDD is the single most popular spyware right now. It does not use any of the exploits you mentioned, it uses OS and browser exploits. I guarantee you at any given time the most popular spyware going around isn't using a fucking Java or Adobe exploit. Only like 1 out of 50 spyware bundles is any more trouble than just running Malwarebytes but those are the ones that matter.
    are you ever going to back up any of your claims with actual facts?
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Facts? I do about 30-50 spyware removals a week. I see firsthand exactly what the most popular bundles are at any given time, which are the most damaging, hardest to remove, etc. I don't really care what some PC Mag article has to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I'm glad you know how to clean them, but you obviously don't know shit about how they get there in the first place.

Right, 'cause the fact that my methods keep my clients from ever getting reinfected certainly isn't proof that I know what the fuck I'm doing. Look, dude, it's real cute that you read statistics in magazines about what percentage of worldwide spyware gets in through what, but I'm not really concerned with 98 percent of the world's spyware. I'm concerned with the 2 percent that actually fucks with people's lives. You can have a machine that hasn't been updated since 2006, if you run CCleaner and Malwarebytes regularly you're safe. That's just the reality.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

ha, whatever makes you feel better dude. i'll take facts over your stories any day.

Simple question:

I have a 720gb external hard drive. I've had a couple issues in the past, but they went away.
    Recently, when I plug the external hard drive into my computer, it turns on, and starts beeping.
    Whenever it's plugged into my PS3, it runs perfectly fine and will play any video file and music file I already had on the drive. Any ideas of how to make it work again on my computer? I have movies and such on there that I would like to save back on my computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

You have a curse. You need to find a witch and send her to thew bottom of your nearest lake, weighed down by 9 stones of identical weight. After 7 days fish her out and bury her in a field under a tree. When she comes back to life after 45 days, and IF the tree's 1st cycle life enchantment has occurred by then, then the curse will be lifted.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Have you tried all the USB ports available?

Have you tried all the USB ports available?
    Yeah, my laptop only has 2. I've tried 3 different USB cables as well, to no avail.
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

I would buy a new enclosure. Different USB ports sometimes have different voltages to them, occasionally a machine will just stop processing a connection from a USB external for seemingly no particular reason.

Is that why it still runs perfectly fine on my PS3?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Are other devices working fine in those two usb ports? If so, it's probably an issue with your drive and not the computer.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Are other devices working fine in those two usb ports? If so, it's probably an issue with your drive and not the computer.
    yep. no other problems elsewhere.

The trackpad on my Macbook Pro just stopped working. Or rather, the arrow will move around the screen when I move my finger, but I can't get it to click on anything.

It's surprisingly impossible to navigate pretty much any single anything when you can't mouse click. Fuuuuuck.

Odds are you're fucked, but first try a PRAM reset.

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (Apple), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time. The machine will then reboot again, once you hear it chime a third time release the keys.

Our IT people have overloaded all of our power outlets in the server room with one stupid device after another. I am getting it fixed in a week or so, but until then I keep having to unplug and plug different things in depending on what we need at the time. Is it safe to plug one power strip into another just for additional power supply just until I can hire another IT company and get this shit fixed?
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Coachella Junkie

I don't think you're qualified for your job.

I am not an IT person, but within this company I am the best qualified, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    Our IT people have overloaded all of our power outlets in the server room with one stupid device after another. I am getting it fixed in a week or so, but until then I keep having to unplug and plug different things in depending on what we need at the time. Is it safe to plug one power strip into another just for additional power supply just until I can hire another IT company and get this shit fixed?
    If you're plugging them in to the same room/breaker, it'll be the same issue.

I just need one additional power supply, so I don't have to unplug the wireless router and kick everyone off the network whenever we need to create a gate badge for someone. Oh well, I just need to hire a new company.

I've moved recently, have a new internet provider, new router, now I can't upload because my mac doesn't have the router's full info. Can anyone tell me how i connect my macbook to the router wirelessly? I know i go to system preferences but after that i'm lost

thanks
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Last week, a $500 charge showed up on my credit card activity for Virgin America. Today, separate charges for $500 and $900 showed up for Southwest and JetBlue. My CC fraud department is handling, and normally I’d just dismiss and move on, but I’m a bit concerned because those are the last three airlines that I have booked travel with. In fact, I currently have pending travel on all three of those carriers that I booked and paid for months ago.

I just logged on to all three airline sites and I still see my existing itineraries and no others. I changed my password for good measure. Is there any way I could have been hacked in some complex way? Are there ways to use a CC on file with those airlines based on my logon information? Any chance this is a cookie issue? Or is this just a complete coincidence?

Coachella Junkie

Get a new credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I just need one additional power supply, so I don't have to unplug the wireless router and kick everyone off the network whenever we need to create a gate badge for someone. Oh well, I just need to hire a new company.
    Just throw in a power strip.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    I've moved recently, have a new internet provider, new router, now I can't upload because my mac doesn't have the router's full info. Can anyone tell me how i connect my macbook to the router wirelessly? I know i go to system preferences but after that i'm lost

thanks
    Shouldn't it be as easy as clicking the wireless icon at the top, and finding whatever signal your router is broadcasting? If it's not letting you connect, reset the router and google "how to set up a (insert name of router brand here) router" and follow the instructions on how to set it up. Most will have you type in the IP address your router is broadcasting (like http://192.168.1.1/ is the address for Linksys routers) in your internet browser, and most of the time the login info is leaving the Username blank and the Password is "admin."

You sure it's a wireless router? My provider (Time Warner) provides a wired router, and I use my own wireless router attached to it.

I don't know if theklein25 meant he needed to hook up to his MODEM (where the internet initially hooks up to) or his ROUTER (where the magical wireless internet is born).

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I use my own wireless router attached to it.
    I’d wager that's a WAP.

"Want to suck your dick while browsing the net and listening to Heart and Starship tracks simultaneously".