Page 1 of 22 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: mad men

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Default mad men

so did anyone watch the season 2 premiere of mad men last night? i watched, but kept falling asleep. i saw betty in PANTS and what was that business with the guy in the car? that was kinda strange. also, who did don send the book to? was it his bitch in the city?

anyways, just glad it's back!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Default Re: mad men

I have the entire first season on my DVR since I never watched it but heard goog things about it. I forgot the premier was on last night. I'm sure they rerun it...I'm gonna need to go home and record it.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

it didn't seem like there was much promotion for the new season. i just-so-happened to watch die hard late saturday and saw a commercial for it on a&e, which is odd since it's an amc show. i love it. don draper is so dreamy in that old fashioned "i'm going to be an alcoholic womanizer" sort of way, lol.

I caught the first few episodes of the series, but then I lost track and got busy. I liked the pilot episode when they had the kid run around with the plastic bag over his/her head and the parents just scold them for running in the house.

i have never heard of mad men but i do like some of the other a&e series. I am all stuck on The Cleaner, good show and Benjamin Bratt is yummy.

I loved the fact that they had full bars in their offices. If I had one of those, I would've probably had cirhossis of the liver.

I enjoyed the first season. I even got the LTD edition dvd, shaped like a giant zippo.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I have been thinking about checking this show out, just haven't got around to it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    it didn't seem like there was much promotion for the new season. i just-so-happened to watch die hard late saturday and saw a commercial for it on a&e, which is odd since it's an amc show. i love it. don draper is so dreamy in that old fashioned "i'm going to be an alcoholic womanizer" sort of way, lol.
    weird i saw a TON of promo for this in the past couple weeks. i was watching a league of their own yesterday (prob on amc) and it was in every single commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

sorry, i meant promotion outside amc. i don't watch amc outside of madmen or an occasional movie recording, so it's just strange to me i haven't seen the black, white and red advertisements anywhere.

Love this.

*Spoiler alert*

Loved the ending to the 2nd season...the whole Pete/Jody pregnancy segment really surprised me because I had forgot they had something already. The pending merger really has Don wondering about his future and that was prior to getting the news his wife was pregnant again. Whoops...if you haven't seen this don't read this.

on one hand, i see why telling pete would make him stop fantasizing about her. it's irritating when people put you on a "perfect pedastal" like that without really knowing who you are.

but on the other hand, that was a fucking dick thing to say. if you're going to do something like that, you never tell the guy.

and what's up with betty's new baby? that was kinda random. wonder where they're going to go with that.

on one hand, i see why telling pete would make him stop fantasizing about her. it's irritating when people put you on a "perfect pedastal" like that without really knowing who you are.

but on the other hand, that was a fucking dick thing to say. if you're going to do something like that, you never tell the guy.

and what's up with betty's new baby? that was kinda random. wonder where they're going to go with that.
    Would you have rather had it come out to you 18 or so years on down the line? I think it was kinda crass for the setting in which it was disclosed, but he kinda deserves it for being a douche towards his wife and all that. It is surprising with Betty...I don't know how that will affect Don's longing to be closer to the real Mrs. Draper...and Cali.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    Would you have rather had it come out to you 18 or so years on down the line? I think it was kinda crass for the setting in which it was disclosed, but he kinda deserves it for being a douche towards his wife and all that. It is surprising with Betty...I don't know how that will affect Don's longing to be closer to the real Mrs. Draper...and Cali.
    i would rather she would have aborted the baby instead of passing it off to her sister.

but in that situation, if you're going to completely lie about being pregnant to the guy's face, spend all that time in the hospital, give the baby to your sister, ect. why the fuck would you TELL THE GUY two years in or whatever? either tell him when he has a choice to do something about it or never tell him at all. yes, the guy's being a dick to his wife, but she's making the situation WAY more confusing by telling him after he can do anything about it.

i'll put this in here since noone gave a shit in the upcoming shows thread:

10/21 -
    Just got back from a live Mad Men revue at the El Rey. Fucking awesome. A bunch of guys and gals from the show came out and sang songs and danced for the audience. They had cocktail waitresses walking around with glasses of twenty-year-old scotch and handmade cuban cigars. Paul Kinsey on the show played the acoustic guitar and played Don't Think Twice by Dylan and he was actually pretty bad but super cute. Salvatore Romano sang this old song called Sway and had a bunch of cute dancers with him. He has a good voice. Cooper sang some old song and was pretty horrible but funny. He is a ham. At one point in the night he came up to me rolling his eyes, talking about how you should never be an actor. Colin Hanks and Dar Williams played some awesome song together to close out the show and all the other actors came out on stage and sang with them. Trudy Campbell sang some song about Daddy and writhed around on the stage seductively. Bad voice but good stage presence. She seems super young. Rachel Menken looked gorgeous and glamorous and sang a song on her own. Duck sang Aint it a Kick in the Head. Inara George from Bird and the Bee sang Manhattan, randomly. And an orchestra played the Mad Men theme song. It was a really random but rad show overall. Salvatore and Paul are totally cute. Oh and Ken Cosgrove was there and totally unshaven with a thick beard. And Joan was there looking TOTALLY the part. Exactly like she looks on the show. Except her hair is thinner - makes me think she wears a wig. Totally walks the walk and looks the part. And this dude was there who I was CONVINCED was iron and wine and I was staring at him all night and finally went up to him at the end of the show and asked if his name was Sam and he said no and I was embarrassed. Also a very pregnant Jennifer Garner was there in jeans and a tshirt and sneakers when the rest of the audience was black tie. Kinda funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

I see what you mean, Ivy. Again, this is a totally different era than the one in which we reside in. I can't imagine, though, all the grief she had to go through carrying a married man's seed in her and then having to give it to her sister to raise. She kept that a secret from Pete and the rest of them so well when it could've been front page news. As for being told, I can see where the whole disclosing when relevance can be had--is something I'd wish for.

that sounds like a lot of fun, tessa! all the "behind the scenes" stuff makes me think it must be a fun show to work on; especially getting to play with the era like that. how lucky you got to go

and hopeless, i don't think she really wanted to be his baby mama. like she said, she probably could have, but she didn't. she wants power. she wants a career. she said her prayers and went to sleep instead of balling into her pillow that she lost her chance with pete and her baby. and while she enjoys men, she is definitely NOT a husband hunter like the others.

she's more like joan, only joan seems to fight it. joan seems to be on the fence as to whether she wants a husband or a career, but i think she's slowly realizing she just wasn't cut out for marriage like most of the other girls are, especially once joan got a taste of doing some of the "real work" on that television project for awhile. joan i think falls into the trap of many hot women though in that it's much easier to just fall back on your looks and play the cute girl role to get what you want, whereas peggy never really had those advantages and therefore tries to fight the system more. and they are both taking from each other's strengths this season. peggy is starting to use her feminiminty to her advantage, while joan is starting to be her own person more. peggy and joan are more like "one of the guys" in the respect that they have ambitions and aren't afraid to go after them independently.

I see a huge conflict between Don and Duck next season, though. They really don't care for each other and they kind've left it alone for the majority of the season.

I read in a blog (can't remember which one) that says the show's creator, Mark Weiner, said in an interview that Peggy's sister does not have the baby and that it really was given up for adoption out there, somewhere.

Anyone notice Pete with the shotgun at the end?

The Mad Men Revue sounds fun, Tessa. Did you take pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    I read in a blog (can't remember which one) that says the show's creator, Mark Weiner, said in an interview that Peggy's sister does not have the baby and that it really was given up for adoption out there, somewhere.

interesting you bring that up! i wasn't sure what she meant by "giving it away" last night either. i had thought it was with peggy's sister, and they certainly implied that to be the case. i want to know how well thought out that was ahead of time, because they did a really poor job of explaining that situation.

and i noticed the shotgun too, very strange.

My teacher is a producer on the show, and my only real complaint with it is how sexist it can get. (Even though it IS a period piece, and all.)

So one day, my roommate and I were talking with him and I accidentally dropped that and he gave a big sigh and a "Oh, I've tried to fix that."

and i noticed the shotgun too, very strange.
    Well, if you were in his situation, you might feel like blowing your head off at that moment, too.

But, nah, ain't gonna happen. It'll be interesting to see next season, how well they work, or don't work, together...if he's going to get vengeful or not.
    Last edited by HowToDisappear; 10-27-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Well, if you were in his situation, you might feel like blowing your head off at that moment, too.

But, nah, ain't gonna happen. It'll be interesting to see next season, how well they work, or don't work, together...if he's going to get vengeful or not.
    no, no, no, i mean, i get why he would be stressed about it, but why does he have a SHOTGUN in his office?! just seems, odd. oh, and peter will probably just hold the secret over peggy's head like he does don. everyone saw that peggy was heavier at one point and pete could very well use that against her. who would really believe her if she said it was his anyways?

and yeah, the sexism is annoying, but i like it to show how people used to be. even when i worked at radioshack, i was amazed at the way people would treat me just because i was a young girl at an electronics store. i was the first female salesperson in that store and man, was that difficult. i can't imagine how annoying that would have been back then.

but i do feel a lot of the periodness of the show in general is a bit heavy handed. like i understand everyone talking about the cuban missle crisis, but some of the other stuff is too much. we get it, it's the early 60s!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    My teacher is a producer on the show, and my only real complaint with it is how sexist it can get. (Even though it IS a period piece, and all.)

So one day, my roommate and I were talking with him and I accidentally dropped that and he gave a big sigh and a "Oh, I've tried to fix that."

So if they remove the sexism per your sage advice and ruin the show, we've got you to blame, right?

no, no, no, i mean, i get why he would be stressed about it, but why does he have a SHOTGUN in his office?! just seems, odd. oh, and peter will probably just hold the secret over peggy's head like he does don. everyone saw that peggy was heavier at one point and pete could very well use that against her. who would really believe her if she said it was his anyways?

and yeah, the sexism is annoying, but i like it to show how people used to be. even when i worked at radioshack, i was amazed at the way people would treat me just because i was a young girl at an electronics store. i was the first female salesperson in that store and man, was that difficult. i can't imagine how annoying that would have been back then.

but i do feel a lot of the periodness of the show in general is a bit heavy handed. like i understand everyone talking about the cuban missle crisis, but some of the other stuff is too much. we get it, it's the early 60s!!!
    The shotgun had something to do with a client in the first season.

I don't find the sexism heavy-handed at all --- it's real and appropriate for the time period. (I'm old - I was born in the early 60's.) What gets to me really is all the smoking...it's like okay I get it, people used to be able to smoke indoors, enough already, stop. Funny the things that bug you.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    i'll put this in here since noone gave a shit in the upcoming shows thread:

10/21 -
    Just got back from a live Mad Men revue at the El Rey. Fucking awesome. A bunch of guys and gals from the show came out and sang songs and danced for the audience. They had cocktail waitresses walking around with glasses of twenty-year-old scotch and handmade cuban cigars. Paul Kinsey on the show played the acoustic guitar and played Don't Think Twice by Dylan and he was actually pretty bad but super cute. Salvatore Romano sang this old song called Sway and had a bunch of cute dancers with him. He has a good voice. Cooper sang some old song and was pretty horrible but funny. He is a ham. At one point in the night he came up to me rolling his eyes, talking about how you should never be an actor. Colin Hanks and Dar Williams played some awesome song together to close out the show and all the other actors came out on stage and sang with them. Trudy Campbell sang some song about Daddy and writhed around on the stage seductively. Bad voice but good stage presence. She seems super young. Rachel Menken looked gorgeous and glamorous and sang a song on her own. Duck sang Aint it a Kick in the Head. Inara George from Bird and the Bee sang Manhattan, randomly. And an orchestra played the Mad Men theme song. It was a really random but rad show overall. Salvatore and Paul are totally cute. Oh and Ken Cosgrove was there and totally unshaven with a thick beard. And Joan was there looking TOTALLY the part. Exactly like she looks on the show. Except her hair is thinner - makes me think she wears a wig. Totally walks the walk and looks the part. And this dude was there who I was CONVINCED was iron and wine and I was staring at him all night and finally went up to him at the end of the show and asked if his name was Sam and he said no and I was embarrassed. Also a very pregnant Jennifer Garner was there in jeans and a tshirt and sneakers when the rest of the audience was black tie. Kinda funny.
    That is fucking AWESOME. You get to do the coolest things...

The Mad Men Revue sounds fun, Tessa. Did you take pictures?
    You're right; Peggy's sister was pregnant when Peggy was in the hospital having her baby.

The shotgun had something to do with a client in the first season.

I don't find the sexism heavy-handed at all --- it's real and appropriate for the time period. (I'm old - I was born in the early 60's.) What gets to me really is all the smoking...it's like okay I get it, people used to be able to smoke indoors, enough already, stop. Funny the things that bug you.
    C'mon, people, yes it's heavy handed but that's the way it was. My mom and her friend were just talking about when they worked at the bank together in 1969 that they all smoked all day long like chimneys. They didn't know how dangerous it was back then, so everyone just did it.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

don't get me wrong, i appreciate the sexism, as well as the smoking, and the drinking, and the missile crisis, and the introduction of nuclear warfare, ect....

i just think it can be heavy-handed in the overall IT'S THE EARLY 1960s portrayal. it's gotten better towards the end of this season, but earlier this season it was a bit much. especially with the kennedy obsession.

as i said in another thread i think, i wish this was on hbo.

The shotgun could serve in a dual role. I mean, the situation with peggy and the Cuban missile crisis. It could have been part of the civil defense program and an allusion to the incident in the first season.