Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 62

Thread: What does not represent your community?

  1. #1

    Default What does not represent your community?

    Go on then?
    Last edited by clarky123; 08-25-2007 at 05:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    You'd be surprised just how quickly the edge of your own sanity comes into view.

  2. #2
    old school superfiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    5,698

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    michael bolton
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Posts
    3,500

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Dumbass tourists.

    E

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Posts
    3,500

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    On second thought, they are always infesting us, so I suppose they represent the area.

    E

  5. #5
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,427

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    The OC, Laguna Beach, or the new one Newport Harbor. These people are here, but it is not all of us.

  6. #6
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    The Parker, Hidden Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  7. #7
    ASS FACE ThomThom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    9,595

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Bad driver's, illegal immigrants, spoiled middle eastern kids, and Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

  8. #8
    Beef Supreme Mr.Nipples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rancho Retardo
    Posts
    7,287

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    silicon chips...

  9. #9
    Member Cpt. Funkaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Any non-documentary movie with "Alaska" in the title.

    I'll be interested to see how "Into The Wild" comes out, though, as it may well be the first Alaska-centered movie to actually be filmed here (most are filmed in British Columbia, as it's cheaper than coming all the way here).

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Posts
    3,500

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    ^^ Should have named him Laika, imo.

    E

  11. #11
    Member Cpt. Funkaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Delta, you're a member of the "Alex from Neighborhood #2=Chris McCandless" minority?

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Posts
    3,500

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    The truth cannot be denied. It's as obvious as the light of day.

    E

  13. #13
    Coachella Junkie woogie846's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,662

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Any non-documentary movie with "Alaska" in the title.

    I'll be interested to see how "Into The Wild" comes out, though, as it may well be the first Alaska-centered movie to actually be filmed here (most are filmed in British Columbia, as it's cheaper than coming all the way here).
    I was really dissapointed with Into the Wild. I thought it would be cool, because I thought it was about him surviving in the wilderness. As in, "Dear journal, I almost was killed today by a boulder, but dove out of the way and then I shot a moose and I ate it with my bare hands. It turns out to be, "Oh, Chris McCandless? Yeah, I worked with him at McDonalds. It was weird, he hated socks."

    Best quote from my friend about Into the Wild, proving just how dumb he is: "Why would anyone write a fictious book about something so boring?"

  14. #14
    Member Cpt. Funkaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    I was really dissapointed with Into the Wild. I thought it would be cool, because I thought it was about him surviving in the wilderness. As in, "Dear journal, I almost was killed today by a boulder, but dove out of the way and then I shot a moose and I ate it with my bare hands. It turns out to be, "Oh, Chris McCandless? Yeah, I worked with him at McDonalds. It was weird, he hated socks."

    Best quote from my friend about Into the Wild, proving just how dumb he is: "Why would anyone write a fictious book about something so boring?"
    The reason the book wasn't more intense in the sense of Chris McCandless being a badass was that he wasn't one... just a suburban kid who made several dumb life choices and got in way over his head. I'm sure many of us can relate, though most of us didn't make mistakes big enough that we starve to death needlessly due to our lack of preparedness.

    I thought that the worst part of the book, which will also be the worst part of the movie, was the glorification of McCandless as some kind of modern Thoreau, when really all he was was an ordinary misanthropic guy who decided to go off and die in an interesting way by virtue of incompetence. I can only hope that people see his character for what it is.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Posts
    3,500

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    It's bullshit to shit on Alexander Supertramp's memory. He did what he wanted, and that is more than I can say for most people. Fuck you.

    E

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Posts
    3,500

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    The police disco lights
    Now the neighbors can dance!
    The police disco lights
    Now the neighbors can dance!


    Alex set out for a great adventure and died. Now you fucks can dance. Go ahead and dance.

    E

  17. #17
    Member Cpt. Funkaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
    It's bullshit to shit on Alexander Supertramp's memory. He did what he wanted, and that is more than I can say for most people. Fuck you.

    E
    Delta, have I struck a soft spot? Does your fondness for the Arcade Fire make you defensive of the perceived subjects of their songs?

    In any case, I didn't mean to shit on your heroes or anything, so sorry about that.

    That said, I don't consider what I said about Chris McCandless to be "shitting on his memory"... I think he was a good kid who chose the absolute wrong place to try to measure up to his surroundings.

    Also, I don't think that strictly speaking, he did do what he wanted, unless that included starving to death in a place he knew very little about.

  18. #18
    Coachella Junkie summerkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,661

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
    It's bullshit to shit on Alexander Supertramp's memory. He did what he wanted, and that is more than I can say for most people. Fuck you.

    E
    Don't think he planned on dying.
    The White Stripes 9/18

  19. #19
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    According to Wikipedia...

    When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what he did wasn’t even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate. First off, he spent very little time learning how to actually live in the wild. He arrived at the Stampede Trail without even a map of the area. If he had a good map he could have walked out of his predicament ... Essentially, Chris McCandless committed suicide
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  20. #20
    The Fro PassiveTheory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    11,040

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Was that the bear guy who got eaten by a grizzly bear?

    EDIT: Nevermind.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

    Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014


    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

  21. #21
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    This is the bear guy

    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  22. #22
    Coachella Junkie summerkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,661

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    According to Wikipedia...

    When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what he did wasn’t even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate. First off, he spent very little time learning how to actually live in the wild. He arrived at the Stampede Trail without even a map of the area. If he had a good map he could have walked out of his predicament ... Essentially, Chris McCandless committed suicide
    Pretty much agree with that assessment except I don't think he planned on killing himself.
    The White Stripes 9/18

  23. #23
    Member nothingman00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,077

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Delta, have I struck a soft spot? Does your fondness for the Arcade Fire make you defensive of the perceived subjects of their songs?

    In any case, I didn't mean to shit on your heroes or anything, so sorry about that.

    That said, I don't consider what I said about Chris McCandless to be "shitting on his memory"... I think he was a good kid who chose the absolute wrong place to try to measure up to his surroundings.

    Also, I don't think that strictly speaking, he did do what he wanted, unless that included starving to death in a place he knew very little about.
    I actually agree with both points of view (surprisingly agree with Delta Sig):
    Anyway, from what I remember of reading the book [SPOILER], I did envy McCandless for being able to shed everything, flee society and ATTEMPT to live off the land. Coming up with the Alexander Supertramp alter-ego was a little bit melodramatic and overdone. And yeah, if you're going to live in Alaskan wilderness, then prepare. But I think what was interesting in the book (and I'm not sure how the movie will deal with this), but I found it extremely unfortunate and often ironic that had he made one right choice out of about 15, he would have been ok. I mean, that was what was so tragic to me... The guy literally had about 10-12 life altering decisions to make (once stuck in the wilderness) and he made the wrong choice every single time, right down to eating the wrong type of potato or mushroom (or whatever he was eating)... I liked the book much more than "Into thin Air" but not from an action standpoint. I just liked the tragic figure of Chris McCandless, though I found parts of his projected personality to be slightly contrived.
    Last edited by nothingman00; 08-26-2007 at 05:54 PM.
    -----------------------

  24. #24
    Coachella Junkie MissingPerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    14,521

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Isn't the question of tragedy vs. heroism the guts of Laika anyway?

  25. #25
    Coachella Junkie brando4n82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Moorpark, CA
    Posts
    6,164

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Bad driver's, illegal immigrants, spoiled middle eastern kids, and Paris Hilton.
    I fucking hate illegal immigrants. michael bolton's pretty gay too
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

    Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

  26. #26
    Member Cpt. Funkaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Isn't the question of tragedy vs. heroism the guts of Laika anyway?
    Something about the way you phrased that really reminded me of the SomethingAwful summary of R. Kelly's "Trapped In The Closet" I read earlier today.

  27. #27
    Coachella Junkie summerkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,661

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Quote Originally Posted by nothingman00 View Post
    though I found parts of his projected personality to be slightly contrived.
    oh very much so.
    The White Stripes 9/18

  28. #28

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    terrorists

  29. #29
    Coachella Junkie MissingPerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    14,521

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Something about the way you phrased that really reminded me of the SomethingAwful summary of R. Kelly's "Trapped In The Closet" I read earlier today.



    .... Anyway, what I mean is, I don't think McCandless is necessarily portrayed in a wholly heroic light in the song. Win Butler talks about Laika as a victim; sent into space with no way home and then just left to die.

  30. #30
    Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
    Posts
    16,494

    Default Re: What does not represent your community?

    Nelly. Oh, no, wait. He very much represents it.

Similar Threads

  1. Coachella Community. Did YOU update?
    By psychic friend in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 02:29 AM
  2. Official Coachella Community
    By pxnoutathrms4u in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 12:11 PM
  3. community.coachella.com not working
    By Jonis in forum Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 06:18 PM
  4. BC PARTYERS (REPRESENT CANADA)
    By Ihateoprah in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2007, 10:01 AM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 11:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •