View Poll Results: Who shoud be a headliner at Coachella 2008?

Voters
282. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aphex Twin

47 16.67%
  • Portishead

66 23.40%
  • System of a Down

31 10.99%
  • The Smiths

48 17.02%
  • Talking Heads

60 21.28%
  • David Bowie

84 29.79%
  • Bob Dylan

36 12.77%
  • Outkast

46 16.31%
  • Radiohead

147 52.13%
  • Beck

38 13.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should headline Coachella 2008? (let's try this again)

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Default Re: Who should headline Coachella 2008? (let's try this again)

Why would Coachella book the worst reviewed reunion of 07 in 08? The Pumpkins fucking blew so hard I felt embarassed for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Hey Boourns, just how many festivals and headlining tour stops did the Chili Peppers make during the 06' concert season?
    Because Radiohead, Bowie, Pearl Jam, My Bloody Valentine, etc etc all said no.

Rage... you listen to Portishead at all?... I mean that sincerely... Also, have you ever go IN the Sahara tent at all?...

The Sahara = dance music.
    Portishead = downtempo acid jazz... sort of like Massive Attack but no hip-hop and one singer (and a bunch of other things, but I'm trying to make a simple comparison here, people)

Yeah, that would be a miserable mix. My hopes are that Portishead get the Tiesto spot for this year and play the mainstage AFTER the headliner (hence why I have them pegged for the night w/ No Doubt) because the moon, the night breeze, it all sets up a perfect setting for Beth Gibbons and co. to work their magic.

It eventually became Billy's band, Rage? Please, how many song writing credits do you see D'arcy's name on? Less than 10 songs, and if we're talking after Gish (which is, by far, the worst Pumpkins record, even Zeigeist is better) then most likely NONE. As for Billy's "BFF" Jimmy? Please... I don't think you remain BEST friends with the guy who kicked your ass sans-remorse out of the band at the height of the band's popularity (mind you, Jimmy warranted getting his ass kicked out) and you know what? I figure the Pumpkins have as valid a reason as RATM does to get back together, it's not like Zach de la Rocha was lighting the world aflame with his solo material (and please, don't repeat the spoonfed line of "we're here to deliver the knock out punch to the Bush administration" from Tom Morello, because that's definitely full of crap [and, worse, a good half-decade late]) besides, I never had the chance to see the Pumpkins live in their initial incarnation, so I would be grateful to see them headline (given that I'm missing their solo tour), and, on top of that, I feel that they would bring in a mass amount of people and be headline-status-worthy.
    I actually just picked up my first Portishead CD the other day. I actually like it quite a lot. I still think they could be in the Sahara though. Even though it is really downtempo, and not that dancable at all. It still is electronic music. After finaly listening to them though... I understand why everyone wants them there! I dont really care where they play!

Ok fine. Fuck D'Arcy. He could have atleast called Melissa Auf De Muar. He didnt even bother contacting her. Now what about James Iha writing credits. I would rather go to a Smashing Pumpkins show without Billy, but with James Iha. I have never been a huge fan of Billy or his voice. What got me into the Smahsing Pumpkins was the music. And to be exact, the guitar. Without James Iha, the Pumpkins mean nothing to me. And dont be fooled, Billy and Jimmy are sure as hell BFFs. Wasnt Jimmy the drummer for that disaster known as Zwan? Also, I thought Jimmy did partial drumming duties on Billy's solo album. Was Jimmy also Billy's drummer for his tour in support of his solo album? Now, Jimmy is the only other original member of the Smashing Pumpkins? Common. Billy has just kept Jimmy around because he knows he can just push Jimmy around. And just to let you know, I am not sure I would have made the trip down to California to see Rage Against The Machine if ANY of them were missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Because Radiohead, Bowie, Pearl Jam, My Bloody Valentine, etc etc all said no.
    Hahahah, right, since, you know, last year there were talks of MBV reuniting... Right. That's laughable.

Also, Rage, just because it's electronic music doesn't mean it belongs in the Sahara...
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Hahahah, right, since, you know, last year there were talks of MBV reuniting... Right. That's laughable.

Also, Rage, just because it's electronic music doesn't mean it belongs in the Sahara...
    HOT CHIP

INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!IN CUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCU BUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBU S!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS! INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!IN CUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!
    INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!IN CUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCU BUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBU S!INCUBUS!
    INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!IN CUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCU BUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!
    INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!IN CUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCU BUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!

Bands get asked to reunite all the time...how stupid are you?

Actually, some San Fran paper claimed that Morrissey and My Bloody Valentine were going to play this year.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Paul Tollet has been trying to get MBV for years which is why all those MBV rumors always flying around every year. Let's hope we actually get them for 08.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I hope Paul Tollet never meet Passive Theory.

Personally, I hope nobody ever meets Passive. But then again, I'm a people person, so...
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

You'd probably wish it on Suprefan, but it's a little late for that.

MBV aside, there's still no evidence that Tollet went after all of those bands (especially Bowie, and Pearl Jam? I thought everyone on here fucking hated Pearl Jam [I wouldn't complain if they headlined, mind you]) before the Chili Peppers... Either way, the point I made hasn't been refuted, that the Pumpkins couldn't headline this year's festival.

I equate MBV with Kraftwerk (and by the same token, Portishead) in the sense that they are immensely popular groups amid the non-top 40-base of listeners, but by no means a headliner for festival like Coachella.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Fuck you, Passive. There's no fucking way the Pumpkins are going to headline, it's been thoroughly refuted. For one, they're the worst reviewed festival headliner this year. I mean they sucked, it was fucking humiliating. For two, Coachella doesn't really have a track record of picking up last year's festivals leftovers. You're out of your goddamn curly mind.

and if we're talking after Gish (which is, by far, the worst Pumpkins record, even Zeigeist is better)
    I couldn't disagree more. Zeitgeist is shite, Gish is a classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Coachella doesn't pick up last years headliners??? ---> Red Hot Chili Peppers headlined Lolla the previous year.

I'm listening to some itunes clips of MBV...Ugh..what am i missing??? Lame

Portishead should play the Massive Attack slot of '06, definitely not the sahara tent.

Siamese Dream is by far the classic record of the bunch.

2008 Headliners

Prince, David Bowie, White Stripes, The Cranberries (reunion), Radiohead, The Strokes, POSTAL SERVICE
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. Zeitgeist is shite, Gish is a classic.
    WORD!!!!
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett222 View Post
    Coachella doesn't pick up last years headliners??? ---> Red Hot Chili Peppers headlined Lolla the previous year.

I'm listening to some itunes clips of MBV...Ugh..what am i missing??? Lame

Portishead should play the Massive Attack slot of '06, definitely not the sahara tent.

Siamese Dream is by far the classic record of the bunch.

2008 Headliners

Prince, David Bowie, White Stripes, The Cranberries (reunion), Radiohead, The Strokes, POSTAL SERVICE
    Please pick up Loveless and then come back and talk to us. 30 second clips don't do any justice to MBV. If you love Siamese Dream and the Cranberries then give MBV another chance since that album (well SP in general) and the Cranberries would have never existed without MBV. I say good day sir!!

Ok i listened to 'i only said' on myspace. unintelligible shoegazer music. Sounds like Asobi Seksu without the interesting chorus and hot female voice.

Dude, i want to like it, but you're not making it easy. It might be like when I first saw Vanilla Sky. I hated it, but now it's my all time personal favorite movie. Who knows.

Do you know what else is tough, the Gogol Bordello album. I love them live, but other than Wanderlust king and the first song on the album, nothing else is sticking. Anyone else get that vibe?
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival

Ok i listened to 'i only said' on myspace. unintelligible shoegazer music. Sounds like Asobi Seksu without the interesting chorus and hot female voice.

Dude, i want to like it, but you're not making it easy. It might be like when I first saw Vanilla Sky. I hated it, but now it's my all time personal favorite movie. Who knows.

Do you know what else is tough, the Gogol Bordello album. I love them live, but other than Wanderlust king and the first song on the album, nothing else is sticking. Anyone else get that vibe?
    There is some truth to Gogol. The recorded music is not so great but live is a entirely different story. While I don't dislike their records, I don't listen to them at that much. But please just pick up Loveless, give it a week, then come back. Honestly, at 1st it sounds quite odd but you grow to love them!
    One of the greatest albums ever.

Personaly, I love Gogol Bordello's albums. I didnt have any before I saw them at Coachella. I had downloaded a few tracks, watched a couple videos and decided they were a must see. The day after I got back from Coachella, I bought Gypsy Punks. It still didnt stick right away, unlike thier live show. However, after a few listens, I thouroughly enjoy the entire album everytime I listen to it. All I can think of is thier live show when I listen to them... and I smile. Super Taranta was the same thing. I got it (two copies actually... dont ask) and after the first time I was like "This is good. Not as good as gypsy punks though. I wonder how the new songs will translate live?" After a few listens I am like "Damn! This a good album! But I still wonder how it will translate live..." Then I saw them just over a week ago, and the new stuff sounds great live! Even the slower songs on the album, Like Tribal Connection and Alcohol. My favorite song of Super Taranta is My Strange Uncles From Abroad. If you havent listened to that one, stick in the CD and listen to it! They didnt play it at the last show I went to though. The only song I cant get into, is Zina-Marina. My girlfriend loves that song... but there is just something about that song that bugs me. Other than that, I love their recorded music. Just give it a few more listens.
    And TeamCoachella... was the show where you saw Gogol Bordello at the Red Rocks, the one where they were opening up for Manu Chao?
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Fuck you, Passive. There's no fucking way the Pumpkins are going to headline, it's been thoroughly refuted. For one, they're the worst reviewed festival headliner this year. I mean they sucked, it was fucking humiliating. For two, Coachella doesn't really have a track record of picking up last year's festivals leftovers. You're out of your goddamn curly mind.
    *yawn* Again, they picked up the Chili Peppers last year, enough said. And I don't really give a shit how greatly or poorly reviewed they've been on the festival circuit, there's still enough buzz about the band reuniting mainstream-wise for it to be a possibility. Still, it's early, and no one's a lock (sadly, not even Portishead or MBV) so we'll see.

Also, the Massive Attack slot from 06' sounds fitting for Portishead... But let's not tempt the fates and have them open for an aggressive band, I'd rather they closed out the night, a la Tiesto or Black Star.
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Personaly, I love Gogol Bordello's albums. I didnt have any before I saw them at Coachella. I had downloaded a few tracks, watched a couple videos and decided they were a must see. The day after I got back from Coachella, I bought Gypsy Punks. It still didnt stick right away, unlike thier live show. However, after a few listens, I thouroughly enjoy the entire album everytime I listen to it. All I can think of is thier live show when I listen to them... and I smile. Super Taranta was the same thing. I got it (two copies actually... dont ask) and after the first time I was like "This is good. Not as good as gypsy punks though. I wonder how the new songs will translate live?" After a few listens I am like "Damn! This a good album! But I still wonder how it will translate live..." Then I saw them just over a week ago, and the new stuff sounds great live! Even the slower songs on the album, Like Tribal Connection and Alcohol. My favorite song of Super Taranta is My Strange Uncles From Abroad. If you havent listened to that one, stick in the CD and listen to it! They didnt play it at the last show I went to though. The only song I cant get into, is Zina-Marina. My girlfriend loves that song... but there is just something about that song that bugs me. Other than that, I love their recorded music. Just give it a few more listens.
    And TeamCoachella... was the show where you saw Gogol Bordello at the Red Rocks, the one where they were opening up for Manu Chao?
    Yes sir! Wasn't able to see that at Coachella due to conflicts with Bjork (Camped out all day for her...) but saw them up close and personal at Red Rocks..completely blew everyone away...even Manu Chao....

Also, the Massive Attack slot from 06' sounds fitting for Portishead... But let's not tempt the fates and have them open for an aggressive band, I'd rather they closed out the night, a la Tiesto or Black Star.
    I would have to agree...Portishead needs to close out the main stage even if they are not the headliners....

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    I would have to agree...Portishead needs to close out the main stage even if they are not the headliners....
    They NEED to? I can think of some bands Portishead could play before, and it would probably be even better than closing the mainstage.

Portishead --> Radiohead
    Portishead --> David Bowie
    Portishead --> The Cure

There are plenty of acts where it would make more sense for them to play before the headliner on the mainstage. I think after the Massive Attack --> Tool scenario, no longer will GV schedule like that. For example, lets say Nine Inch Nails headline a day next year, GV would probably put Portishead on after NIN. But how awesome would it be seeing Portishead before Radiohead?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Yes sir! Wasn't able to see that at Coachella due to conflicts with Bjork (Camped out all day for her...) but saw them up close and personal at Red Rocks..completely blew everyone away...even Manu Chao....
    Im guessing they didnt do the bass drum crowd surf there eh?

Well, I guess the value of Portishead before Radiohead would be being able to see something after Portishead, despite my desire to see them close out the night. Bowie's fanbase is pretty nuts... So who knows in respect to that, but I wouldn't want to see them open up for the Cure... I mean, sure, it'd be calm as hell, but it just doesn't mesh well for me.

Plus, I've heard stories about the Cure live... Are they really that bad?
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    They NEED to? I can think of some bands Portishead could play before, and it would probably be even better than closing the mainstage.

Portishead --> Radiohead
    Portishead --> David Bowie
    Portishead --> The Cure

There are plenty of acts where it would make more sense for them to play before the headliner on the mainstage. I think after the Massive Attack --> Tool scenario, no longer will GV schedule like that. For example, lets say Nine Inch Nails headline a day next year, GV would probably put Portishead on after NIN. But how awesome would it be seeing Portishead before Radiohead?

Im guessing they didnt do the bass drum crowd surf there eh?
    Portishead Before Radiohead would be awesome. Actually any of those would be RH seems to be the most plausible one. How about PH followed by Aphex Twin on the main stage?

And no he wasn't able to do the drum surf thing but he sure as hell made his way into the crowd. Drum or no drum....

Well, I guess the value of Portishead before Radiohead would be being able to see something after Portishead, despite my desire to see them close out the night. Bowie's fanbase is pretty nuts... So who knows in respect to that, but I wouldn't want to see them open up for the Cure... I mean, sure, it'd be calm as hell, but it just doesn't mesh well for me.

Plus, I've heard stories about the Cure live... Are they really that bad?
    I have heard conflicting stories on the Cure live. I guess it depends on the night....

Asobi Seksu wishes they could have made Loveless. This statement makes me very upset.

Day 1: REM
    Day 2: The Prodigy/The Killers
    Day 3: Radiohead
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival

The Killers? Really? Wow. Uh, okay.

And if the Prodigy weren't headliners in 2002, they aren't headliners now. Not in America.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

How about this for a night?
    Main:
    Portishead 7:30-8:40
    Radiohead 9:15-10:45
    Aphex Twin 10:50-12:00 (in the tent)

Like 2004, but Portishead and Aphex Twin replacing Pixies and Kraftwerk. Mmmm.