View Poll Results: Who shoud be a headliner at Coachella 2008?

Voters
282. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aphex Twin

47 16.67%
  • Portishead

66 23.40%
  • System of a Down

31 10.99%
  • The Smiths

48 17.02%
  • Talking Heads

60 21.28%
  • David Bowie

84 29.79%
  • Bob Dylan

36 12.77%
  • Outkast

46 16.31%
  • Radiohead

147 52.13%
  • Beck

38 13.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should headline Coachella 2008? (let's try this again)

Default Re: Who should headline Coachella 2008? (let's try this again)

ICP, Nickelback, Metallica
    Zack de la Rocha both RAPS and ROCKS, suckaz.

Quote Originally Posted by Rap/rock Is Life View Post
    ICP, Nickelback, Metallica
    dude, you're just not funny anymore, and you haven't been for a long time. you need a new gimmick.

"Bombs Over Baghdad" on the mainstage would be a world smashing experience

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...smiths-reunion

Morrissey Turns Down $75 Million for Smiths Reunion
    Celibacy, vow of poverty...yep, he's becoming a priest

Photo by Paparazzi by Appointment

Morrissey money shocker! According to a new press release about Morrissey's previously reported fall U.S. tour, "In an effort to stop the speculation and kill off the rumor mongers who seem to use these things to take advantage of committed fans, we can tell you that one thing the future will not bring is a Smiths' reunion tour."

Turns out Moz was approached with an offer of $75 million smackers, payable upon completion of at least 50 worldwide shows provided Johnny Marr was in the band (no love for Andy and Mike?). Morrissey-- who'd like it to be known once and for all that it's not about the music but, rather, about the hurting-- turned them down. Morrissey previously bragged about how Coachella offered the Smiths $5 million to reunite, but that, it appears, was small potatoes.

In a related story, Modest Mouse doesn't have $75 million dollars either. Sorry, Johnny!

On two of this tour's lengthy runs, a pair of special offers has been made to Moz megafreaks. Starting August 27, fans will have a chance to buy tickets to all ten of the L.A. shows for the price of nine, or all five New York shows at a savings of $125. Those who pony up for the deals will get special commemorative (magic?) tickets that allow them into the general admission shows before everyone else. New York fans get a poster, but L.A. attendees get to see Morrissey ten times, so neener neeners.

Nestled in the same press release was this nugget of uncertainty: "these shows will be the last Morrissey will do for the foreseeable future." Indeed, that's a quip in line with the kind of dramatic overstatement we've come to know and love from Moz, but is he for real? Could these be the last Morrissey shows... evah?

guess no Coachella EVER....
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Anyone who would pay to see any performing artist 10 times (even at the low, low price of 9 shows) in a 2 week period is kinda stupid in my opinion. I know it's different strokes for different folks and all that, but even if money isn't an issue, how fucking different is each show going to be? Are people that easily entertained? If I really like a movie, I can watch it about 2-3 times in one year and that's it. I can't watch it again for several years afterward. (Eternal Sunshine being the sole exception, and even that I've refused to watch on numerous occasions this year.) And though a live performance is obviously different from a movie, each performance to the next isn't going to be that different. Seeing the Arcade Fire on consecutive nights or Radiohead a few times in different cities over a few weeks -- that's more understandable. But paying what are bound to be exorbitant prices to see a singer at a residency (I'm sure he's not going to even 3 different venues in Los Angeles, but even if he is, my point still stands) 10 fucking times -- that's lunacy. That's like those idiots who buy each new VHS/Laser disc/DVD/Blu-Ray/whatever version of Star Wars. It just baffles me why anyone would invest that much money on one artist. Spread the love around! I'm seeing Daft Punk for the third time at Vegoose, but the difference there is that it'll be the third time in 18 months (not quite the same as 10 shows in 2 weeks) and only one of those performances were they the headlining act. Seeing them at Coachella and Vegoose means I get to see several other artists over that weekend, so while Daft Punk is the main reason I'm going, they're far from the only reason. (Don't think it was necessary to provide a defense against potential allegations of my hypocrisy, but I thought it best to be proactive.)
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Banned

Don't worry about it. I would if I resided in Los Angeles. And I would do it for AF even if it were in Zimbabwe [or Texas, which is even worse].

E

1st Day:

My Bloody Valentine (gay)
    No Doubt

2nd Day:

David Bowie
    Portishead

3rd Day
    Talking Heads (one show only)

if it was radiohead, the smiths and aphex, i think i would cream.

i have just 4 words of you on this.. SYSTEM OF A DOWN

David Bowie!

Ew to Bob Dylan. Really, just retire.

Also... Who seriously voted for System of a down?? C'mon!
    Last edited by saxomophone; 08-28-2007 at 10:06 PM.

1st Night:
    The Cure

2nd Night:
    Nine Inch Nails

3rd night:
    RADIOHEAD

Also, Battles
    The Mars Volta
    Hella
    Chk Chk Chk
    MATT AND KIM
    YACHT
    TOKYO DEATH MARCH
    UNKLE
    THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS
    DAFT PUNK
    MODEST MOUSE
    THE WHITE STRIPES
    THE STROKES
    MUSE
    Kid Koala
    Minus The Bear
    ANIMAL COLLECTIVE
    Ghostland Observatory
    Handsome Furs
    Sebastian!!
    Rx bandits!

MBV
    Portishead
    Radiohead
    The Smiths.

If I get ONE of those, I will be happy indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

What if everyone's assumption that Radiohead will be the headliner from 2004 to repeat in '08 is wrong? The Cure moving their tour to the spring seems awfully convenient. And if Radiohead plays Coachella, isn't there a sort of freeze on when they can play southern California again on either side of the festival? I'm more of a Radiohead fan than a Cure fan, but just sayin'.
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    What if everyone's assumption that Radiohead will be the headliner from 2004 to repeat in '08 is wrong? The Cure moving their tour to the spring seems awfully convenient. And if Radiohead plays Coachella, isn't there a sort of freeze on when they can play southern California again on either side of the festival? I'm more of a Radiohead fan than a Cure fan, but just sayin'.
    you do have a point on the Cure thing...just sayin'
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I'd like to see the Cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    yeah, i really really don't see Radiohead playing this year just seems like too many things need to happen for them to play and it just seems like a long shot.
    The White Stripes 9/18

I'm wondering how the hell they're gonna top RATM as this year's headliner with all those crazy fans, so my thoughts are that the first day, we'll see Radiohead, the day after it'll be David Bowie, and the festival will close out with No doubt reunion. I was gonna say REM will close out the fest, but I have a feeling that they'll hold out for Bonnaroo instead. My Bloody Valentine will take the "Pixies" award for the most anticipated reunion (expect a lot of old emo kids with their stupid haircuts and dead-skinny jeans), and everyone will be abuzz for the Portishead and the Avalanches first US showings in ages. Chances are that Coldplay will play too, since its about the time when they are supposed to have new album out. Likely performers are also M.I.A., Ghostland Observatory, Numero#, Operator Please, and Gnarls barkley. I would kill babies to see The Knife perform there, seriously, infants. So yeah, expect great things next year

Like in the other thread, I'm going to go with No Doubt, Smashing Pumpkins and R.E.M. as the headliners with MBV, Portishead, et. all acting as subheadliners.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by archimme View Post
    I'm wondering how the hell they're gonna top RATM as this year's headliner with all those crazy fans, so my thoughts are that the first day, we'll see Radiohead, the day after it'll be David Bowie, and the festival will close out with No doubt reunion. I was gonna say REM will close out the fest, but I have a feeling that they'll hold out for Bonnaroo instead. My Bloody Valentine will take the "Pixies" award for the most anticipated reunion (expect a lot of old emo kids with their stupid haircuts and dead-skinny jeans), and everyone will be abuzz for the Portishead and the Avalanches first US showings in ages. Chances are that Coldplay will play too, since its about the time when they are supposed to have new album out. Likely performers are also M.I.A., Ghostland Observatory, Numero#, Operator Please, and Gnarls barkley. I would kill babies to see The Knife perform there, seriously, infants. So yeah, expect great things next year
    Everything here is entirely plausible...I could easily see Coldplay playing the sub headliner part to a David Bowie or Radiohead but I don't see David Bowie in the near future..at least not with all the buzz of Portishead, MBV and No Doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Like in the other thread, I'm going to go with No Doubt, Smashing Pumpkins and R.E.M. as the headliners with MBV, Portishead, et. all acting as subheadliners.
    Mark my words...Portishead will be listed as a headliner....

I will be seriously pissed if Smashing Pumpkins are a headliner. There is no way GV will book them as the "reunion" they are right now. Now if they can get a one off which includes Iha and D'Arcy... THEN I could see GV booking it. But no other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Smile Re: Who should headline Coachella 2008? (let's try this again)

it would be great to have INCUBUS performing on Coachella 2008!!!!!!

Considering that Smashing Pumpkins are headlining KFMA Day here in Tucson in just under 2 weeks, an event whose tickets initially went on sale for $20, I sort of doubt that they'll headline Coachella. Sure, they're doing bigger fests, too, like Bang in Miami, but that only strengthens the case against them headlining Coachella. And if they're not headlining, will Billy Corgan still want to play or will his ego keep him away?

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I will be seriously pissed if Smashing Pumpkins are a headliner. There is no way GV will book them as the "reunion" they are right now. Now if they can get a one off which includes Iha and D'Arcy... THEN I could see GV booking it. But no other way.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again; fuck D'arcy. The only thing that bitch ever contributed to the Pumpkins was the decision to cover "Never Let Me Down"...

James DID contribute more, but to say that the Pumpkins were truly a four-piece in the conventional sense is laughable... Real fucking laughable... Hence why I would accept (and want to see) the current incarnation of the Pumpkins perform live. Plus, Jimmy's a drumming machine, and yet he's overlooked ALL the fucking time.

Also, TCHY, I'll mark those words... When Portishead shows up as the main sub-headliner for one of the nights.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

When the Pumpkins started they were a four piece. It eventualy became Billy's band later in thier career. That is why the band broke up.
    Now that Billy has had a couple failed projects, he needed to be back in the Spotlight and make some more money. So he called his BFF Jimmy, and forgot to call a couple other.
    Either way. Zeitgiest is a fuckin abortion. Ive had shit that sounds better than that album. Let the "Smashing Pumpkins" play as they are right now... just dont play a single fuckin song off Zeitgiest.

And Portishead wont be a headliner. But they would make for a GREAT sub-headliner. Hmmm... would they play before the headliner on the main stage? OR,play in the Sahara after the headliner? Like Daft Punk? I think Portishead in the sahara would be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Rage... you listen to Portishead at all?... I mean that sincerely... Also, have you ever go IN the Sahara tent at all?...

The Sahara = dance music.
    Portishead = downtempo acid jazz... sort of like Massive Attack but no hip-hop and one singer (and a bunch of other things, but I'm trying to make a simple comparison here, people)

Yeah, that would be a miserable mix. My hopes are that Portishead get the Tiesto spot for this year and play the mainstage AFTER the headliner (hence why I have them pegged for the night w/ No Doubt) because the moon, the night breeze, it all sets up a perfect setting for Beth Gibbons and co. to work their magic.

It eventually became Billy's band, Rage? Please, how many song writing credits do you see D'arcy's name on? Less than 10 songs, and if we're talking after Gish (which is, by far, the worst Pumpkins record, even Zeigeist is better) then most likely NONE. As for Billy's "BFF" Jimmy? Please... I don't think you remain BEST friends with the guy who kicked your ass sans-remorse out of the band at the height of the band's popularity (mind you, Jimmy warranted getting his ass kicked out) and you know what? I figure the Pumpkins have as valid a reason as RATM does to get back together, it's not like Zach de la Rocha was lighting the world aflame with his solo material (and please, don't repeat the spoonfed line of "we're here to deliver the knock out punch to the Bush administration" from Tom Morello, because that's definitely full of crap [and, worse, a good half-decade late]) besides, I never had the chance to see the Pumpkins live in their initial incarnation, so I would be grateful to see them headline (given that I'm missing their solo tour), and, on top of that, I feel that they would bring in a mass amount of people and be headline-status-worthy.
    Upcoming Shows:

I doubt Goldenvoice wants Smashing Pumpkins to headline their festival months after everyone has already caught the reunion tour. They get first dibs at major reunions, not sloppy 82nds. Unless the ten bands they ask first all say no, of course.

Hey Boourns, just how many festivals and headlining tour stops did the Chili Peppers make during the 06' concert season?
    Upcoming Shows:

Right on sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    You'd be surprised just how quickly the edge of your own sanity comes into view.

yea, tom waits!