Thread: I'm Not Worthy of this Purchase

Default Re: I'm Not Worthy of this Purchase

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    at the risk of being accused (again) of trying to be yablo..

I have a guitar that I don't know how to play. well I mean I can pick out Ode to Joy but changes? ha. no pain, no pain. good luck. remember Joni Mitchell can't play a C chord either.

edit: in other words I fail.
    I'm scared I'll Az out on this. Right now, it seems hard to imagine fluidly changing chords, but I've seen so many buttmunches and sloths do it, that it can't be THAT hard, can it? My fucking fingers are numb right now. I was playing basic scales last night. Fucking pinkie finger, goddamn it. That shit hurts.

Menik - You let me know if you get started. But if you start making rapid progress, don't tell me about it. I'm shooting for jingle bells by x-mas. If I'm lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post
    it seems hard to imagine fluidly changing chords, but I've seen so many buttmunches and sloths do it, that it can't be THAT hard, can it?
    thats pretty much the same motto i lived by for the first 2 years i played. yeah your fingers are probably hurting like hell because the action* on your guitar may be too high. most acoustic guitars that can be picked up for less than 300 arent setup properly even at the factory and that could be whats making your digits ache.

*how high your strings are to the fretboard
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

Or he isn't used to steel guitar strings and needs to develop calluses.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Or he isn't used to steel guitar strings and needs to develop calluses.
    I keep muting the adjacent strings with my fingers. I seem to do this more, the more I play and the more the fingers hurt.
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

You're right on track, then.

Also, a friend of mine who was going to learn put superglue on his fingertips and let it dry, and got some weird fakey calluses that I think worked out OK. He quit after like a month, but whatever.

good luck! i'll be watching for you on MTV...

Coachella Junkie

Just do power chords for a couple years then branch out. Recipe for success.

pot, you're my hero

You'll get calluses in no time Greg. It does suck at first though. Once you don't have to worry about pain you can start focusing on chord changes and shapes and stuff. Then you can write rock operas and play screaming solos.

old school

congrats on the purchase.
    learning guitar can be tough, but it can be quite rewarding.
    good luck. your friends (the people ones...not the internet ones) will start to hate you once you start showing them every new song you've started to figure out.
    I am going to get so blown to Cypress Hill while they play.

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Sweet, Greg. I popped my guitar cherry on an Alvarez, too. Still have it, in fact.
    And, fight through pain! Your fingers are gonna be screaming, but that is what you want. Once the calluses kick in, you won't even feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by thinnerair View Post
    congrats on the purchase.
    learning guitar can be tough, but it can be quite rewarding.
    good luck. your friends (the people ones...not the internet ones) will start to hate you once you start showing them every new song you've started to figure out.
    True dat. First song I learned was "The One I Love" by REM, and all my friends thought it was cool at first,...until they realized it was the only one I knew.

I've decided to try to learn to play guitar and today I bought this Alvarez guitar at a pawn shop for $130. It's so beautiful, it makes me cry. My first guitar and I'm going to fuck it up.

Just curious. You didn't happen to buy that guitar at a pawn shop in or around the San Luis Obispo area, did you?
    All the punks think that you're dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by worldwide2020 View Post
    Just curious. You didn't happen to buy that guitar at a pawn shop in or around the San Luis Obispo area, did you?
    Depends on the lens. If you're looking at where I bought it from the sun, yes, I was definitely in the San Luis Obispo area.

But if you look at it from say, a few thousand feet from the Earth, then, no. I bought it in the Missoula, Montana area.

old school

Greg, are you a Nirvana fan?

One of the first songs I learned was 'Polly' by Nirvana.
    It's a nice song to get under your belt and a nice and easy exercise in strumming patterns.
    I am going to get so blown to Cypress Hill while they play.

Quote Originally Posted by thinnerair View Post
    Greg, are you a Nirvana fan?

One of the first songs I learned was 'Polly' by Nirvana.
    It's a nice song to get under your belt and a nice and easy exercise in strumming patterns.
    You're one post away from 1,000. Yeah, I like "Polly" quite a lot actually, one of my favorites of theirs.

Look what this bitch did to my fingers today!

Banned

you are becoming quite the little musician. I proud of my little acoustic guitar player...keep on truckin blo.

Are you going to cry Greg? Are you going to complain? Or are you going to tough it out so you can follow your muse? Be a champion Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Are you going to cry Greg? Are you going to complain? Or are you going to tough it out so you can follow your muse? Be a champion Greg.
    The guy who helped me buy the guitar told me: "playing music isn't for pussies."

I AM NOT A PUSSY!

That's my boy.

This shit is hard.

I can sorta play "What Do You Do WIth a Drunken Sailor" with a gap between chords you could drive a truck through. Plus, I get the D chord right on approximately 35% of my attempts. And fuck the F chord. Fuck it in the ass.

Coachella Junkie

You better learn to love that F chord.

This shit is hard.

I can sorta play "What Do You Do WIth a Drunken Sailor" with a gap between chords you could drive a truck through. Plus, I get the D chord right on approximately 35% of my attempts. And fuck the F chord. Fuck it in the ass.
    Greg, are you doing the "Full Bar" F chord, or just the open F Chord? Difference being the full bar entails you putting your entire index finger over the first fret.

Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    Greg, are you doing the "Full Bar" F chord, or just the open F Chord? Difference being the full bar entails you putting your entire index finger over the first fret.
    The fucking open F chord I've seen requires my index finger to cover the last two strings on the top fret and then stretch my ring and pinkie finger in a sonically unteneable position. Unless I'm misunderstanding the tablature - it's from Bay's instruction manual. Hence the "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor."

The fucking open F chord I've seen requires my index finger to cover the last two strings on the top fret and then stretch my ring and pinkie finger in a sonically unteneable position. Unless I'm misunderstanding the tablature - it's from Bay's instruction manual. Hence the "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor."
    Right, but it isn't too difficult, just needs some practice. It's not that different from an open C. Here's an image:

Hey Greg, practice the C to Am change. It will please you because it is easy. You only move one finger.

Im teaching my girlfriend how to play guitar right now.

Dont worry Yablo, you're not alone. She is having problems withe F chord as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.