Thread: LA Greek Theatre

Default LA Greek Theatre

Is it outdoors or indoors? Any other helpful info about the Greek Theatre would also be appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Default Re: LA Greek Theatre

Outdoors.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Oh. Parking sucks but you can park in the middle of the street if you pay extra. The food is lousy but there is a Louises Trattoria on Hillhurst. Try to avoid seats too far back; there is an echo.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Despite it being beautifully nestled in the trees, the Greek totally sux. The sound is rarely good -the echo is true. The parking is horrific, an absolute cluster fuck. No matter where or how you park or go there's a lot of walking, much of it through dirt and wet grass. The food sucks and everything is way too expensive.

Now, I must clarify that I am usually willing to deal with such set backs when it comes to live music, but there's something about this place that just rubs me the wrong way. I have proclaimed that I will not go again to this venue unless Janis opens for Jimi.

i saw Sonic Youth there about 2 weeks back (the Daydream Nation show!) parking was like $15, but you can just drive a block or two away, park on the street (make sure it's a legal spot) and just walk for like 5 minutes and you're there.

food costs billions there, and it blows. also the security kept hassling me and my friend whenever we left our seats to go stand closer.

pretty much, any venue with seating is gonna be pure crap. but i guess compared to other venues with seating, this one is pretty much the same as any other. i'm just kind of spoiled because 99% of shows i go to have no security, or seats..

but yeah, if you go, make sure it's a band that's really worth it.

Yeah it's not so great.
    8/2 & 3 HARD Summer
    8/7 Jagwar Ma @ Santa Monica Pier
    8/15 Echo Park Rising
    8/21 Interpol @ Boulevard Pool
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 RP Boo & Traxman @ Los Globos
    9/24 Interpol @ House Of Blues
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey
    9/26 Wu Tang @ The Forum
    9/27 Hercules & Love Affair @ Lot 613

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Is it outdoors or indoors? Any other helpful info about the Greek Theatre would also be appreciated. Thanks.
    Planning your trip to see AIR?

Quote Originally Posted by eighthundred View Post
    i
    pretty much, any venue with seating is gonna be pure crap. but i guess compared to other venues with seating, this one is pretty much the same as any other. i'm just kind of spoiled because 99% of shows i go to have no security, or seats..

but yeah, if you go, make sure it's a band that's really worth it.

She is going to see AIR, and you don't know s**t about venues with seating. Any venue with seating? So does the Hollywood f***ing Bowl suck?

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Oh. Parking sucks but you can park in the middle of the street if you pay extra. The food is lousy but there is a Louises Trattoria on Hillhurst. Try to avoid seats too far back; there is an echo.
    Dear God, If you go to Louises, ask for the breadsticks

it's a nice looking venue for sure, but sadly not one of my favorites. I agree with other points brought up. Sound sucks. They have to keep it low for all the rich people living in the area. To be honest, I think i've only been in the back sections when I was at the Greek. maybe sound is better up front. When I saw Mars Volta there people talking kept drowning out the music.

Queens of the Stone age was a bit better since it was Halloween, The Cramps opened for em and the entire venue was decked out like a Haunted house. Or venue I should say. Sadly, it was pouring rain that night so no one had a great time. Parking is indeed an awful cluster fuck. I literally thought my car was going to roll over backing up off a fucking dirt mountain in the pouring rain. At least "No one knows" would have been my death song.

I sat in the second to the last row when I saw Snoop Dogg/Chili Peppers and that was rather excellent. It is very easy to get down in front. Just book it down there once the band gets on. YOu can stand there for a while before security will find you.
    Last edited by whynotsmile99; 08-02-2007 at 12:46 PM.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Planning your trip to see AIR?

She is going to see AIR, and you don't know s**t about venues with seating. Any venue with seating? So does the Hollywood f***ing Bowl suck?
    i'm sure the Hollywoo Bowl would be great if you got your ticket extra early and paid the extra $$$, and then got an up-front seat.
    but take the same bands that had played there, pack them into a venue with a capacity of only 200-300, have that capacity maxed out, and suddenly the show just got 100x better.

the best concert experience of my life was at a venue that could only hold 200 people, seeing defiance Ohio, and This Bike is a Pipe Bomb. it got so packed (it maxed the capacity, and at least 50 extra people snuck in) and half the crowd ended up standing on stage with the bands (the stage was only 2 feet high) and i actually had to plant my feet so i didn't knock over TBiaPB's bassist. and then during Defiance Ohio even more people had snuck in so the population got even more crowded, and most of the audience ended up just climbing into the rafters or sitting on the PA speakers. when you're squeezed into a tiny space, standing at the same level as the band and singing all their songs with them, you forget that a stadium could even qualify as a venue.

Yes, I am planning my trip to see AIR. And the venue having seats is actually a big plus in my case because GA makes my husband claustrophobic. He sat down near the curtain on the Floor during almost all of Daft Punk in LA.

I'm going to be in Section B. Is there an echo there? I'm thinking about having a cab drop us off there, and maybe we'll walk back to our hotel or something (2 miles). I don't know.

The Hollywood Bowl can suck depending on where you sit.
    8/2 & 3 HARD Summer
    8/7 Jagwar Ma @ Santa Monica Pier
    8/15 Echo Park Rising
    8/21 Interpol @ Boulevard Pool
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 RP Boo & Traxman @ Los Globos
    9/24 Interpol @ House Of Blues
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey
    9/26 Wu Tang @ The Forum
    9/27 Hercules & Love Affair @ Lot 613

Parking isn't so bad if you get there really early. They'll put you first in line right on the street. Remember to bring cash for parking-- credit cards aren't accepted. I learned that the hard way. Also, there is only one ATM machine INSIDE the venue, so you may want to bring extra cash for food and merch. Last time I was at the Greek, the ATM machine wasn't working, so that's also a possibility. Sec. B is OK if you're in the middle. Exiting the South parking is OK because you'll be going south on Vermont. Exiting the North parking lot sucks.

It's a beautiful venue, but that stacked parking sucks big time.

It doesn't sound like I should park there.

Cool Re: LA Greek Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    It doesn't sound like I should park there.
    If you can avoid parking there, you will be happier. They have the premiere parking, but it's $45. If you do park in the stacked parking, it helps if you have a unique car, or some easy way of finding it. I have a white Toyota Corolla, and it can be like finding a needle in a hay stack. There are I think 5 lots that all look the same (dirt, pine trees, pine needles), and the cars are all packed in. One time it took almost 1 hour to find our car.

As someone mentioned, leaving the parking the North route does suck. One time we had to leave this way and you basically have to drive all the way through Griffith Park. Meaning it's a very scenic drive, but it's pitch black at night, it's a narrow, winding road with a long drop down one side. You have to go about 10mi/hr. On the plus side, the view is really great! You can see all of Hollywood lit up at night.

Section B is pretty good sound-wise, you should enjoy the show. The seats are a little small though.

Quote Originally Posted by ficklecycle View Post
    The Hollywood Bowl can suck depending on where you sit.
    Its more the people than the view or the sound for that matter that make your bowl experience good or bad.

Unhappy Re: LA Greek Theatre

Its more the people than the view or the sound for that matter that make your bowl experience good or bad.
    I see drunk people. They don't know that they are drunk...

The annoying thing about the Hollywood Bowl is the large number of drunk yuppie types that don't pay attention to the music but drink large amounts of wine and talk loudly throughout the show.

The Greek can have a similar vibe but it's not as bad.

Some tips:
    -sound and sight are better than most large venues...sound will be clear in section B, but everyone on-stage will still look like ants
    -margaritas are overpriced slurpees with hardly any alcohol
    -Pink's chili dogs and fries are available, but it's so not the same as the real thing, but still not bad...just don't get any food without chili, or better yet, just go to the real Pink's afterwards
    -everything said about parking is true...it's horrible. $15 for stacked parking (usually in the dust) or you can park on a side street, but be careful...the Greek is on a very steep hill so be prepared for a 20-30 minute steeply uphill jog if you can find a legal free place to park (the streets immediately near The Greek have strict parking enforcement and you will be towed if you don't have a residential pass unless you park a few streets away)
    -the concession/merch area is disgustingly crowded, especially after the show. don't wait until then to buy anything, unless you don't mind waiting a half hour for the crowd to clear. it's like leaving Coachella, but not for nearly as long
    -I still need an Air ticket...sigh
    -any word on the opening acts?

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

damnit...No Air in Denver....still hoping they add a Air Red Rocks show before or after the California shows...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

What is stacked parking? I tried to google it--it sounded ominous--but I couldn't figure out what it means. Remember, I live in Arizona. We have parking spaces all over the place.

you are basically blocked in until everyone in front of you leaves. if you get stuck having someone in front of you that hangs out at the venue for a bit after the show you are fucked. there are cars to the left and cars to the right with no lanes for exiting traffic.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for all the responses!