5 16.67%
  • houswife

3 10.00%
  • other (please specify below)

1 3.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where should I work?

Default Where should I work?

My dissertation advisor just got poached and is going to another university. I need to take a year off and apply to other programs.

Default Re: Where should I work?

My girlfriend and I were just talking about being an ESL teacher in another country today. Weird.
    I dont think I would be very good at it. But she seemed really interested in it.

I say go with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I am all for it. I recently almost spent my entire savings on a restaurant in costa rica to move there and live there. ESL was going to be my back up source of income. I highly recommend ESL. Get out of this country while you still can.

Ok ESL. I hope they won't mind that I don't know how to spell housewife. Or maybe if their English is bad enough it won't matter because they won't know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    I am all for it. I recently almost spent my entire savings on a restaurant in costa rica to move there and live there. ESL was going to be my back up source of income. I highly recommend ESL. Get out of this country while you still can.
    you moved to costa rica? that's awesome. that takes balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Ok ESL. I hope they won't mind that I don't know how to spell housewife. Or maybe if their English is bad enough it won't matter because they won't know the difference.
    When I was in highschool, there was this Japanese foreign exchange student. His name was Takahiro Nozaki. We called him Taka for short.
    When he spoke in Japanese he had this dead serious expression on his face. But when he spoke in English, he would always laugh and say sorry. He wasn't the best at speaking English to say the least.
    Turns out right now, he is an English teacher in Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

ESL or bartender. Bartender you know will give you bank, you just have to not give in to drinking a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    When I was in highschool, there was this Japanese foreign exchange student. His name was Takahiro Nozaki. We called him Taka for short.
    When he spoke in Japanese he had this dead serious expression on his face. But when he spoke in English, he would always laugh and say sorry. He wasn't the best at speaking English to say the least.
    Turns out right now, he is an English teacher in Japan.
    Hey Japan. I like Japan. Sushi is yum. Also maybe I could go to shows and actually take photos and see the stage and not be dwarfed by tall men on all sides. And also I could do the Lost In Translation thing and wear a wig and go sing karaoke badly in some awesome bar with zebra-print wallpaper. And then have Bill Murray fall in love with me.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    ESL or bartender. Bartender you know will give you bank, you just have to not give in to drinking a lot.
    Why not?

which one pays the most?

also this song is for you: http://download.yousendit.com/0DF651D128E3ED6E

Do the ESL thing. Take a course in teaching children; all you really do is play games! It's a blast and a half!

There's also not much chance of a 5 year old asking how to spell "housewife".
    Bicycle, you're keeping me sane.

There are tons of ESL schools in London, and you have the added bonus of knowing the local dialect, and being in the best city for live music in the world. A love of rain would help too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I love to cook, so I'd lean towards culinary school instructor...except that the whole moving to another country to be an ESL sounds awesome. You could probably do the same thing as a culinary school instructor but if your students didn't speak English well, that might be difficult. Imagine if you thought you were instructing someone (in their native language) on how to chiffonade their herbs and you actually ended up dealing their family the gravest insult possible.

Other - Hooker - Go on the game for a while but just be careful. You can choose your own hours. Pays really well, just make sure you get the money "up-front". But if for some reason you dont think that would be appropriate, I would plum for Bartender. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Question

1. how old are you ?

and brief description of your spending habits
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

I picked art galley but the art museum would be just as nice...ESL can be rough on the senses if your not ready for it...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Yes, leaving the country is the best option, UNLESS you're serious about finishing your dissertation -that's why I voted for bartender. (It was a great job to have while in school.)

It's too easy to be diverted. I've lost many a friend to the "teaching abroad" black hole. Of course they are some of the happiest people I know, except fot that void left by not having their post-graduate degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by full on idle View Post
    which one pays the most?[

also this song is for you: http://download.yousendit.com/0DF651D128E3ED6E
    Bartender probably pays the most. But wouldn't help me at all towards greater career goals. But would be very fun.

Also, YESSS.

Thank you for the flowers and the book by Derrida, but I must be getting back to dear Antarctica...

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    There are tons of ESL schools in London, and you have the added bonus of knowing the local dialect, and being in the best city for live music in the world. A love of rain would help too.
    You just want me to stay on your couch. (Which I will gladly do.)

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    Question

1. how old are you ?

and brief description of your spending habits
    I am 25.

I am debt-free. But I don't have much in the way of savings, either. I love shopping a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Yes, leaving the country is the best option, UNLESS you're serious about finishing your dissertation -that's why I voted for bartender. (It was a great job to have while in school.)

It's too easy to be diverted. I've lost many a friend to the "teaching abroad" black hole. Of course they are some of the happiest people I know, except fot that void left by not having their post-graduate degrees.
    Just to clarify, this isn't for a job to have while in school. I need to take a leave of absence no matter what, so I am already being diverted. Too late!

i would say work as a bartender for a couple years

best fun-to-money ratio available in the poll

it will be a great experience being an ESL instructor but you won't make shit

Yea, but then you'll stand behind the bar regretting that you didn't take advantage of the down time and get the fuck out. Of course this will only help your tip income, because there are few things better than a girl bartender but one that you can also commiserate with over a drink or 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    My dissertation advisor just got poached and is going to another university.
    There must be something in the air. Mine told me last week that he got hired by Columbia University and leaves in January. He tells me he'll still see me through to the end of my PhD, but I'm none too excited about depending on emails and conference calls for the next two years.

And I have no input on decisions for your life. I find that decisions regarding my own life are borderline disastrous at best, so your're probably better off without my sage advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    I highly recommend ESL. Get out of this country while you still can.
    i love this. its so freaking funny.

Long shore fishermen make bank.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

whatever you like doing the most. It sucks doing something that you dont like doing. Money shouldnt be number 1.

Stay away from the service industry...it will eat yer soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Hold up girl. My sister is doing the ESL thing in Taiwan right now and she says she is broke ass broke. Well, not really that bad, but she says she can't save for shit, which was kind of what she was hoping for. She says it's not exactly like they sell it to you and that the work itself is harder and more draining than she could have imagined. Like you work all day and you come home tired and starving but there's no like drive thru you can hit and there's no like crappy American cable or anything to veg out to, so you just get drunk inside your shitty apartment and play music that reminds you of home. I don't know, maybe if they assign you to paradise or something, it's different, but probabaly everyone wants to go to the tropics somewhere and there's only so much of that to go around. You might want to ask somebody who's actually doing it now and see what they say, my sister's experience might be unique, but I know she's a good traveler and has been all over the world. So. Take that for what it's worth.

I would say bartender. It's vapid and soul killing but you can make some good cash if you hang in there. Maybe just make fun of everybody the whole time. None of the other options you presented sound like they would make you any money, except for maybe being my housewife. Even then, it's not so much about the cash as it about living somewhere dope and driving a nice whip and not having to worry about jack shit and also just the sheer fuck-offness of it all, I guess. Like for real, you could tell them other ho's to catch a brick quick because you know who your man is and so do they. Bitches.

So yeah. Bartender. Or maybe admin in the financial industry, cause you might be able to get some good stock options. Just a thought.

[QUOTE=roberto73;261534]There must be something in the air. Mine told me last week that he got hired by Columbia University and leaves in January. He tells me he'll still see me through to the end of my PhD, but I'm none too excited about depending on emails and conference calls for the next two years.QUOTE]

You should just pack up and go to NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    i love this. its so freaking funny.
    About as funny as you are witty.

Alternative to bartender would be waitress. Not so crazy of hours and you can still make bank if you work at a nice place.

My friend did the ESL thing in Japan for 3 years. She made BANK. She loved it. and she is now also fluent in Japanese.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer