Thread: Newbie to Coachella

Default Newbie to Coachella

Hi All,

I am brand new to the Coachella idea. I have never heard of it until I went searching for DAFT PUNK vids etc after seeing them at Oxegen Festival in Ireland 2 weekends ago and now im have to go to Coachella.

I have seen plenty of vid of the festival and it looks amazing. Also with it being in California no rain and mud like here in Ireland.

Right so the questions:

1) Are tickets available from ticketmaster?
    2) Does everyone camp or just stay nearby?
    3) Is it always held in the same place or moved around? Where is that same place :-) ?

Any other details for a newbie trying to sort himself out to get over for Coachella 2008?? I know its early but i'd like to know about te stuff :-)

Thanks all!

Default Re: Newbie to Coachella

http://coachella.com/

Tickets will be sold through ticketmaster

About 15,000 camp onsite and the rest stay in hotels or one of the offsite camping area's that range from 5 to 50 miles away.

It has always been in the same place.

Check the website for tons of photos of the past 8 years and posters of the past line ups and info from 2007. Info for 2008 won't be posted until next year.

.................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

If you want a hotel, I'd book it now.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

it'll cost you $299 a night upwards just camp it's more fun
    i went from scotland this year and it was class

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy192 View Post
    it'll cost you $299 a night upwards
    Incorrect information. I've never paid more than $129/night. Do your homework.

fairenough was just repeating what i have read on this site spose it depends on when you book
    http://coachella.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=hotels
    http://coachella.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=hotels

How you doing sound Irish? Camp yes, but dont buy a tent its too hot sleep outside. I dont think there is a "nearby" unless you befriended some people on here with a condo closer than a motel.

My room was $89; the other day, I saw rooms at the Red Roof Inn for $99. The rooms in Palm Springs are still in the $140's area. It's the rooms right in Indio that are running at $300ish right now. People around there also rent their condos out.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

The best advice you will get is to camp onsite, and buy your tickets AND your camping pass as soon as they go on sale

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

If you can afford hotel, it's worth the money. There is nothing like sleeping on a nice comfy bed, going for a late breakfast and spending the rest of the day hanging out by the pool with a cool drink until it's time to go to the festival. Traffic is horrific but you'll live through it.

Ah, the great annual camping/hotel debate begins...

hi hope you don't mind be butting into your conversation.
    I am hoping to go to what has been described to me as 'the worlds best festival experience'!
    I was wondering about flights is it best to fly direct to Palm spring? (travelling from Leeds England).

Lurker

My son and his friend flew from Manchester to Heathrow and then to LA with American Airlines for this year's Festival - for £320 each!
    Palm Springs is nearer to Coachella but expensive to get to from the UK - unless of course you're very rich in which case it won't matter!!!
    They had a total blast this time and are already planning next year's trip. Would be happy to share info from this time round if you'd like to PM me - I made the travel arrangments for the lads!
    Good luck

I'm not rich so Palm springs sounds out of the question.
    Thank very much that would be great if you let me have any info. Not sure what PM means though!

Quote Originally Posted by nadine View Post
    Thank very much that would be great if you let me have any info. Not sure what PM means though!
    Click on a person's name (or alias) and an option of sending a personal message (or PM) appears.

Just don't make the mistake that many from out of the country seem to make which is to get a hotel in LA. I encountered too many sad foreigners who were facing that torturous drive back every night. I prayed for them as a settled in to my comfy condo bed.

I'd fly into the Ontario CA airport instead of Palm Springs; it's really expensive to fly into the Palm Springs airport.

thanks for the PM info.
    I think we're planing on camping I just can't stand the thought of travelling back to a hotel and missing out on the camp site atmostphere. I know I could regret this with the stories about the heat but we're going to try and tough it out.

I want to go to Coachella.
    9/6 Salva @ TBA
    9/17 DJ Earl @ Low End Theory
    9/18 Gaslamp Killer @ Mayan
    9/22 Interpol @ Fox Pomona
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey

^ok then try www.coachella.com

Don't count on getting much sleep if you camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Smile Re: Newbie to Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by nadine View Post
    Manchester - London (connect flight)
    Then London to LAX.. IT's way cheaper than palm springs.

I booked mine literally 5 hours before I flew and it cost me around £400, including connecting flight to london, booking it early is super cheap

Then shuttle bus to Greyhound bus station (drops you right outside) and then greyhound coach to Indio.

the shuttle cost me $15.00 and greyhound cost $26.00... pretty cheap.. then I split a taxi with some random from Indio to where I was staying.. I think it cost like $20 or something..

I'm from Sheffield by the way. just up the road! Can't wait for '08
    Good luck with it all!
    ...and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now you’ll say, “Wow, we LIVED!"

Damn! My landlord would shit if I started reconstructing my condo, but if I could...I'd add so many rooms for all of you cuz we live about a hop, skip, n' a jump away from the venue, and every year has brought the greatest people from every corner of the world~Can't wait for 08'!!!

If it's your first time, I'd for sure say you should try camping. It's not for everyone, but I'm really glad I experienced it. Plus it's pretty cheap.

Just be prepared to line up at 7am for the showers and bring your own TP for the bathrooms as they run out pretty early. I could go on, but as it gets closer to the time, there are dozens of threads with "what to bring" as the title.