Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A QUICK LIVE SWELL SEASON REVIEW

Default A QUICK LIVE SWELL SEASON REVIEW

Went to their show at the Palace Theater in Columbus on Monday, and I got to tell ya - one of the best shows (and definitely the best so far this year) I've have ever witnessed.

Those of you who kinda know me, know that's a lofty statement - but it's nothing but the truth.

Glen is one of those rare guys that just oozes talent out of every pore - you can feel coming off the stage when he plays. I've always liked the Frames, but never saw them until now (They where he and Marketa's backing back of sorts) I am still kinda floored thinking about it.

Another cool thing is how nice he is - you can feel that too. (His friends) Bell X1 were in town playing another venue on the same night, so Glen taxi-ed them over and had a couple of them come out and play 2 songs before The Swell Season went on. Bonus.

Only did two cover tunes this night, making room for the rarely played The Hill (from Once). He covered Van Morrison and it was so amazing, his guitar playing is second to none on it. During the encore, before they played Fitzcarraldo, Glen let the band (and guitar tech Simon) jam out to War Pigs by Black Sabbath. It was fun and you could see everyone having a great time.

Another note: Lies (from Once) was also played during the encore even though it wasn't on the setlist

(see setlist below!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18097936@N00/2880757727/
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 09-24-2008 at 11:23 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Default Re: A QUICK LIVE SWELL SEASON REVIEW

Nice one.

I've seen The Frames 11 or so times and it's nice to see him & them make it big finally. I just hope he doesn't abandon The Frames as a band.

Fitzcaraldo is some track, isn't it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

I would love to see them, I really would. They conflicted with the raconteurs at Coachella AND Bonnaroo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I only got to see them this year as they played Primavera. I wasn't missing The Racs at Coachella for anything.
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Nice one.

Fitzcaraldo is some track, isn't it ?
    really grand
    The Glitter Freeze

That is awesome to hear. I'm seeing them here in Burque in 6 days. I saw their first 3 songs at Bonnaroo, but then made my way over to catch The Raconteurs entire set. The Swell Season did give me chills, though, for the short time I was there. Glen is ridiculously talented and one of the better front men out there. I'm really looking forward to seeing their entire set.

Consider me jealous
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I'm gonna be catching them next Thursday with Iron & Wine. Is he playing with them on very many dates of this tour? Can't wait for that show. And I'm glad to hear they're playing "Lies," as that and "Leave" are my faves off the Once soundtrack.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

People Get Ready would be such an epic closer.

I really want to go to the show at the Greek in LA but I'm already spending too much on shows next week anyways, *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    I'm gonna be catching them next Thursday with Iron & Wine. Is he playing with them on very many dates of this tour? Can't wait for that show. And I'm glad to hear they're playing "Lies," as that and "Leave" are my faves off the Once soundtrack.

He's opening for them here in Albuquerque, I know that. I think it's for most of the dates too.

Nearly cycled over Glen Hansard once. Didn't mean to, but I really don't think he knows how close he was to at least a broken ankle.

He signed my ticket for me a few years back at a show in Boston at The Paradise. They were playing with Calexico and were on first. After their set, I went back out to the front bar to get a pint and I watched the other band set up (bar is completely seperate from the music venue). They were a Zep cover band called Lard Zeppelin complete with a 350lb lead singer. He nailed every note too. I looked to my right at one point and Glen was standing there, as shocked as I was.

Later I found out it was J.Mascis on drums for Lard Zeppelin .....

Quote Originally Posted by aeroplanee View Post
    People Get Ready would be such an epic closer.

I really want to go to the show at the Greek in LA but I'm already spending too much on shows next week anyways, *sigh*
    GO!

Don't even think about it - just go! You'll thank me later.
    The Glitter Freeze

I failed to mention he covered Van Morrison's Astral Weeks - and that was one of the MANY highlights of the show - his strumming is at supersonic speed during that - it will leave mouths gaping.

They also have been covering at least 3 different Pixies tunes during the tour - including: Debaser, Levitate Me, and Cactus We didn't get any in Columbus, but we did get Sabbath to make up for it (hehe)

People Get Ready was the perfect closer... we even had a sing along at the end, put a smile on everyone's face and sent them home wanting more.
    The Glitter Freeze

I really need to find a way to get some boots I have to you guys. Can I zip a folder of mp3's and put it on megaupload or something ? There is one boot I have of The Frames doing 2hrs on a radio show in Ireland years ago. All sorts of weird and wonderful covers.

from the columbus show

here's the War Pigs cover:

The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I really need to find a way to get some boots I have to you guys. Can I zip a folder of mp3's and put it on megaupload or something ? There is one boot I have of The Frames doing 2hrs on a radio show in Ireland years ago. All sorts of weird and wonderful covers.
    Please do that and post the link in this thread. I know I, for one, would appreciate it.
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

ok. I will try, I have a lot going on at the moment so it might be a few days.

Just got back from the show. It was really damn good. I've decided that Glen Hansard is one of the better front men out there. Actually, this show just hammered that home because I've thought that since I heard him. Every song had a nice buildup and was pretty epic. The violin player was good and played a cool song toward the end of the show. They did a cover of Neil Young's "Albuquerque" for obvious reasons and that got the crowd pretty excited. Hopefully soon this band will shake the tag of being "the band from that movie." Iron & Wine was a bit boring, but I've never like him (them?) so that was to be expected. Overall it was a really good night.

Hippie

If they would have done a cover of Wierd Al's "Albuquerque" I would have been really impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    If they would have done a cover of Wierd Al's "Albuquerque" I would have been really impressed.

That probably would've been more surprising, that's for sure. I know it seems like we have similar music tastes. How do you feel about The Swell Season?

Hippie

Love them, although I only caught a few minutes of them at Coachella because of conflicts. Anyone that does Pixies covers and doesn't completely butcher them, is gold in my book.

They were awesome at Coachella. Watching their show was the hardest decision I made all weekend- had to skip out on the last song of the Raconteurs' set, plus miss Aesop Rock (I still can't believe I did this) and Aphex Twin, who were playing opposite. I did it for my girlfriend, who was with me.

I was abundantly rewarded- not only did Swell Season/The Frames play an excellent show, they did a couple of awesome covers, one of which was "Cactus" by the Pixies, which was, in a word, epic.

God, that was a good show.
    Quote Originally Posted by youguysallsuckfatcock View Post
    now you guys are really pissing me off. especiall you walrus fucker

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    Love them, although I only caught a few minutes of them at Coachella because of conflicts. Anyone that does Pixies covers and doesn't completely butcher them, is gold in my book.

Yeah I only saw 3 songs of theirs at Bonnaroo because I wanted to see all of The Raconteurs' set. I was rewarded with a really good set by The Racs and I made up for missing The Swell Season with tonight's show.

seeing them tonight taking my dad for his birthday.
    The White Stripes 9/18

wow, seriously amazing show tonight. I didn't really go in there expecting much as I'm a casual fan, but they blew me away.
    The White Stripes 9/18

I enjoyed Iron & Wine more than the Swell Season the other night. Of my 3 favorite songs of his, he only played one, but it was probably my absolute favorite, "Resurrection Fern," so I was very happy. The Swell Season started out strong, with Glen alone on "Say It to Me Now," but there were some technical difficulties during "Falling Slowly." "When Your Mind's Made Up" was amazing, as was "Leave." Unfortunately, they played a lot of songs that I wasn't familiar with otherwise, and they talked for, like, 10 minutes in introducing every song that wasn't in Once. I felt like yelling out "Get on with playing the song already," but was more respectful than that. It wasn't that Glen's not an engaging storyteller, it was just that it was getting late and I had a 2-hour drive afterward awaiting me. I was going to stay till they played "Lies" or "The Field," but at 10:30 and with them playing a few slow songs in a row, I had to get out of there. It's disappointing that Iron & Wine played more songs in his 45 minutes than they did in the hour and 15 minutes that I caught of theirs. Oh well.

Great show last night. I can't say it was one of the "best shows of my life" but it was certainly better than their set at Coachella. The new songs sound great; apparently they are getting ready to record a second album. I wonder what's going to happen to the Frames....
    Anyway, I thought it was interesting that they would choose to play "Falling Slowly" so early since it was the only song anyone around me knew. For me, the highlights were When Your Mind's Made Up, Leave, Astral Weeks, Maybe I Was Born to Hold You In These Arms, and Fitzcarraldo.

setlist:
    1. Say It To Me Now
    2. Falling Slowly
    3. The Moon
    4. When Your Mind's Made Up
    5. I Have Loved You Wrong
    6. This Low
    7. Leave
    8. What Happens When the Heart Just Stops
    9. Astral Weeks (Van Morrison cover)
    10. Happiness
    11. Maybe I Was Born to Hold You in These Arms
    12. Low Rising
    13. Lies

14. If You Want Me
    15. Blue Shoes (violin solo)
    16. Fitzcarraldo
    17. People Get Ready

......... they talked for, like, 10 minutes in introducing every song that wasn't in Once. I felt like yelling out "Get on with playing the song already," but was more respectful than that.......
    That's Glen for you.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WSV8UYIE

I have not used megaupload before so apologies if this doesn't work. It's supposed to be their set from the 'Here Comes The Night' show with Donal Dineen on Century Radio, Ireland. The quality is just ok, 128k mp3 but if you're a fan, you'll like this set. Some great stuff.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IHAB1U49

Glen Hansard solo show from M Club, Valmez, Czech Republic, 2001. Good quality and a really nice show.
    Last edited by MarkO; 10-06-2008 at 10:36 PM.