Page 151 of 155 FirstFirst ... 146147148149150151152153154155 LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,530 of 4647

Thread: Beer. Not shit beer. Good beer.

Default Re: Beer. Not shit beer. Good beer.

greetings beer geeks,

I have a buddy that's going to a wedding in Santa Monica in a few weeks, staying in orange county and has a couple days to do a little exploring. Wanted to see what everyone's 3 favorite spots were to get a great beer. Just saw Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach and that's definitely the kind of place I'm looking to recommend- bars, beer gardens, tap rooms and breweries apply too.

Also, wondered if anyone was able to get Firestone's last batch of Vintage DDBA, and if anyone's tried it- I don't want to miss out if it's phenomenal like always.

And, hitting up Cellarmaker this weekend for the first time. Can't wait for that.

The Bruery is awesome brewery in OC.

I like Cellarmaker a lot .
    Translation

Ty Segall / Cold Beat/WAND @ GAMH 01/29/15
    Sparks @ Ace Hotel 02/14/15
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15
    Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy1222 View Post
    greetings beer geeks,

I have a buddy that's going to a wedding in Santa Monica in a few weeks, staying in orange county and has a couple days to do a little exploring. Wanted to see what everyone's 3 favorite spots were to get a great beer. Just saw Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach and that's definitely the kind of place I'm looking to recommend- bars, beer gardens, tap rooms and breweries apply too.

Also, wondered if anyone was able to get Firestone's last batch of Vintage DDBA, and if anyone's tried it- I don't want to miss out if it's phenomenal like always.
    Edit- NVM. What Zack said.
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 08-22-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Oh I guess it's time to jump off the I love canned beer train.
    http://beerpulse.com/2014/08/nimbus-...oid-cans-3448/
    Translation

Last.fm

Oh jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy1222 View Post
    greetings beer geeks,

And, hitting up Cellarmaker this weekend for the first time. Can't wait for that.
    This is running list a made a while ago:

Here is a google map I just made of breweries in Los Angeles and Orange County. I made it editable so anyone can add things. Lots of great breweries with nice tap rooms and some with restaurants.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...k.kNfia9-kxjK8

Amazing beer bars I really like are

Mohawk Bend - Echo Park, owned by Tony Yanow os Golden Road and features lots of great food and over 70 taps, all CA except for a small set for an out of state guest beach month as well all all CA spirits)
    http://mohawk.la/

Tony's Darts Away - Burbank, also run Yanow but a smaller sausage bar, still all CA - beer and wine only
    http://tonysda.com/

Surly Goat - West Hollywood, full bar, great tap selection, rare bottles, no food
    http://www.surlygoat.com/

Verdugo Bar - Glassell Park, same owners as Surly Goat, same idea too but they have a big outdoor patio and often have a food truck
    http://www.verdugobar.com/

Little Bear - Downtown L.A. Arts District, another from the same owners as above, but all Belgian and Belgian style beers, and really, really good food.
    http://littlebearla.com/

Far Bar - Downtown L.A. Little Tokyo, really unique craft tap list that usually has weird Japanese beers, really extensive whisky list, really eclectic food menu
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

thanks everyone. especially Drinky. hell yeah.

edit: after seeing the tap lists on some of those, I'M going to need to take a trip to LA asap.
    Last edited by zimmy1222; 08-22-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Just a heads up but my local Costco has Double DBA available for $12 dollars and some change.

thanks BD. will check it out.

Smog City's coffee porter was pretty fucking delicious. Had a hard time differentiating whether it was actually a coffee or a beer. Very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

My parents went to MN and brought me back a 4 pack of Surly Furious. This IPA is delicious! Super earthy and spicy, and a great dank smell that lingers and doesn't dissipate. My parents don't drink beer so I think I got lucky and they just happened to grab one of the fresher packs. If they all taste like this, well, then I have to get to Minneapolis sometime in the near future.

All of Surly is a gem beer in usa.
    Translation

Last.fm

My local dive is running Citra hops through a pale ale via this bad boy today

Papi Piratón!

Translation

Last.fm

I went to Ramirez and grabbed a bunch of things I had never heard of, as well as old favorites.

I tried Red Betty IPA from BC, Canada brewery Central City

and Uncle Jesse session IPA from Ale Industries out of Concord, CA

As well as Stone's Enjoy By 9/20/14 and all were excellent!
    last.fm

Finding a Canadian craft beer is a rare find in California. I thought of just going to Ramirez liquor just to see what they had since our hotel was close to it this past weekend but I knew I have no self control for window shopping.
    Last edited by getbetter; 08-28-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    Translation

Last.fm

Avery tap take over at my fav bar in Whittier. Having The Kaiser. A decent Oktoberfest. Could use more spices.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

If that Beast beer that is on tap is decently priced I would recommend a glass of it. Avery makes this amazing rum barrel aged Pumpkin beer called Rumpkin. I hope everyone some day can try it.
    Translation

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Finding a Canadian craft beer is a rare find in California. I thought of just going to Ramirez liquor just to see what they had since our hotel was close to it this past weekend but I knew I have no self control for window shopping.
    Yeah, I was surprised to see it - and not at an inflated price, either! They got Pumpking back in, but for $14.99 a bottle. I will pick one or 2 up soon though. We had a Southern Tier Moka and a Creme Brulee recently and they are both remarkable.
    last.fm

I had that Red Betty IPA a couple weeks ago and it was surprisingly good. My expectations weren't real high, though.

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    I had that Red Betty IPA a couple weeks ago and it was surprisingly good. My expectations weren't real high, though.
    Did you get any of the Expo Alpine released this week? I saw a post they will have another release very soon. Do you have any insight on how soon? I'll be heading through next Saturday and I'm crossing my fingers they'll have something special available.

Also, do you recommend any other 'newer' breweries to hit up in the SD area? Modern Times looked interesting.
    Last edited by westcoastpirate; 08-29-2014 at 09:45 PM.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

I haven't been to the brewery, but Modern Times is really good. I would highly recommend Belching Beaver as well: http://belchinbeaver.com/
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    Did you get any of the Expo Alpine released this week? I saw a post they will have another release very soon. Do you have any insight on how soon? I'll be heading through next Saturday and I'm crossing my fingers they'll have something special available.

Also, do you recommend any other 'newer' breweries to hit up in the SD area? Modern Times looked interesting.
    A friend got me a bottle of Expo last week but I haven't opened it yet. They will probably release another small batch this week. I doubt it will last until Saturday, but Alpine is always worth a visit, as even their standard IPAs (Nelson, Duet) are awesome.

Modern Times makes good beer and their two tasting rooms are pretty cool. The original one in Point Loma is my favorite of the two. (Here's a write-up.)

If you're in North County, I recommend Rip Current in San Marcos. They make a lot of great beers.

Also, Council Brewing is a new place in Kearny Mesa that has some good stuff. Their blueberry tart saison is delicious. It's real close to Societe, which is also excellent, so it's easy to hit both of them in one swing.

If you've never been to SD, there are a lot of other breweries that I'd add, but since you asked for "newer" places, I'm guessing you've been here before.

I've got a Cismontane Flanders Red and Kern Just Outstanding in the fridge. Yesterday I picked up a six pack of June Lake Brewing's Deer Beer Brown, which is killer. They just started bottling (yesterday was the first day they sold them) and you can find them in Mammoth now. I'd recommend picking up a six pack if you're in the area.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    A friend got me a bottle of Expo last week but I haven't opened it yet. They will probably release another small batch this week. I doubt it will last until Saturday, but Alpine is always worth a visit, as even their standard IPAs (Nelson, Duet) are awesome.

Modern Times makes good beer and their two tasting rooms are pretty cool. The original one in Point Loma is my favorite of the two. (Here's a write-up.)

If you're in North County, I recommend Rip Current in San Marcos. They make a lot of great beers.

Also, Council Brewing is a new place in Kearny Mesa that has some good stuff. Their blueberry tart saison is delicious. It's real close to Societe, which is also excellent, so it's easy to hit both of them in one swing.

If you've never been to SD, there are a lot of other breweries that I'd add, but since you asked for "newer" places, I'm guessing you've been here before.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I love Alpine and will be picking up some Duet and Pure Hoppiness for sure along the way to our rental in Pacific Beach. Got a growler of Bad Boy one time at Alpine and that may have been the best beer I have ever had. We try to make a stop at Alpine on our way through every time we drive out to SD. I haven't been to many breweries; the main Stone location in Escondido, Ballast Point Old Grove, Pizza Port, and have been to Toronado, Hamiltons, Tiger Tiger, etc. I'll be in Pacific Beach for the week with my wife and kids so I'm limited on where I can go...can't be too rowdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I haven't been to the brewery, but Modern Times is really good. I would highly recommend Belching Beaver as well: http://belchinbeaver.com/
    I'll have to check Belching Beaver out, too.

Electrostatic from Lighting Brewery just got bottle not too long ago which is a big bier De grade 9.5% and it's pretty good might be worth a stop.
    Translation

Last.fm

I like Anchor Steam Beer
    Last edited by Eskeyp; 09-17-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Ha, just came here to post that myself. Looks like you can get your Expo bottle(s) after all. I don't think it's worth what they're charging, but I can't fault someone for wanting the tick.

If you're staying in PB, places I'd recommend are Amplified Ale Works (small onsite brewery makes good beers plus they have good guest taps plus they have a patio with an ocean view), the Tap Room (like 50 taps with a big focus on local beer, their current tap list is on their website) and Ciro's Pizza (I haven't had their pizza but they usually have a great tap list).

My two cents on Belching Beaver is that it has a couple decent beers, nothing great. I certainly wouldn't send an out-of-towner there...