Page 143 of 150 FirstFirst ... 138139140141142143144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,290 of 4500

Thread: Beer. Not shit beer. Good beer.

Default Re: Beer. Not shit beer. Good beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    There are a lot of very good canned IPA options you should be able to find at CA Bevmo!

Golden Road's Point The Way, Wolf Among The Weeds, It's Not Always Sunny in L.A., 2020, Better Weather
    Ballast Point's Sculpin and Big Eye
    The Dudes Double Trunk
    Sierra Nevada Torpedo
    Oscar Blues Deviant Dale's
    Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA
    Jacarana Rye IPA
    Mission Brewing Shipwrecked Double IPA

And I am sure there are others!
    Quote Originally Posted by gspeer711 View Post
    21st Amendment has both Brew Free or Die and Back in Black IPAs.

They can easily be found at most Northern California grocery stores for a resonable price.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Pizza Port Swami's IPA is your best bet, shit is fucking heaven in a can. If you can't land some of that (limited batches) than try Pizza Port Ponto Session IPA.
    Thanks guys, I'm going to score as much of this as humanly possible and bring it in. I only wish I could smuggle some Founders, Bells (I have 12 bottles of Hopslam in my fridge at the moment) and 3 Floyds into my luggage and then into the campgrounds. Hell, even some Yuengling Light would be delicious.

Does Stone Go To IPA come in a can? They should consider that for festival season.

Maybe I'll FedEx myself some so it arrives at my Hotel Wednesday before Thursday's check-in... hmmm.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Ah, ok. So I'll admit I may have gotten a little carried away at the Ramirez Brothers grand opening today. But turns out I have zero discipline when faced with the opportunity to buy some hard to find brews. Here's some pics from the haul (I'll go back and re-size later)

Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

See, now that's how you do a store like Ramirez Brothers.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Damn. I am afraid i have missed all the ultra rare stuff today at this point, but I definitely need to go back there soon. It's unbelievable how giant that place is.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Chris, I wonder if you had a bad batch, and need to get it fresher? I've had 2 6-packs and I was actually incredibly impressed with it.
    I've only had this from the tap and it's not horrible but it's no Dogfish Head.

But it's not trying to be at all. I mean, it claims to be a West Coast-style IPA, so comparing it to Dogfish Head fails from the start. For a big brewery, I thought they did a good job of adding some nuance to the IPA.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm going to score as much of this as humanly possible and bring it in. I only wish I could smuggle some Founders, Bells (I have 12 bottles of Hopslam in my fridge at the moment) and 3 Floyds into my luggage and then into the campgrounds. Hell, even some Yuengling Light would be delicious.

Does Stone Go To IPA come in a can? They should consider that for festival season.

Maybe I'll FedEx myself some so it arrives at my Hotel Wednesday before Thursday's check-in... hmmm.
    Uhhh, you need to bring all that good shit to Rick and Jen's house down the street, I will get you squared away on all the west coast stuff you need.

xoxo
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Ah, ok. So I'll admit I may have gotten a little carried away at the Ramirez Brothers grand opening today. But turns out I have zero discipline when faced with the opportunity to buy some hard to find brews. Here's some pics from the haul (I'll go back and re-size later)

Bravo Sonny, well fucking done. I've had the Geuze and Kriek Lambic's by Cantillon and they are some of the best beverages I've had... Let me know how that Rose De Gambrinus is.

Bravo Sonny, well fucking done. I've had the Geuze and Kriek Lambic's by Cantillon and they are some of the best beverages I've had... Let me know how that Rose De Gambrinus is.
    Thanks! And will do. I had it once before a couple years ago. I can confirm if you're a lover of sour brews, it's one of the best. It's one of those beers I figured I'd be lucky to ever see again. Hence me going nuts and buying 6 bottles of it today.

One other thing to note about the Ramirez Bros opening was some of their best beers were in the refrigerated section and not on floor shelves. All those Mikeller's I picked up were on the top shelf of one of the many refrigerated doors. What a score. Finally going to get to crack a Santa's Little Helper. And the Kern's Just Outstanding were hanging out at the bottom of one of their corner refrigerators. My Coachella housemates are in for a few treats!
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Okay, we couldn't resist going after a small prodding from Sonnyboy. It was overwhelming. As neat as seeing the rare Belgian stuff, I was even more exicted to see they had stuff from Cigar City, Founder, and Southern Tier!

last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

YES YES YES

Drank a couple of bottles of a really good beer last night: Heretic Brewery's Torment Dark Belgian-Style Ale (from Pittsburg, CA in The Bay Area). Almost like drinking a dessert, and at 11%, it can kick your ass. It's not one of those beers to "guzzle"; we're not talkin' Bud Light here. It's a slow-sipping kind of beer. Half-tempted to go get some more right now. What the heck, it's Sunday.
    "Some people just need a hi-five in the face."

Heretic is 45 miles away from Pittsburg - it's in Fairfield.

Mikkeler Bar in SF is such a great beer bar, a bunch of us went there last night before Trentemoller (though sadly, the downstairs sour-only bar was closed for a private event). I had:

- Against the Grain/Mikkeler Bloody Snow (a pils w/blood oranges, it was one of the best pils I've had.)
    - Bavik Petrus Aged Pale Ale
    - Blaugies Saison D'Epeautre
    - Mikkeler Orange Yuzu Glad

Is that Ramirez store the first place in CA to have Founders in a can?

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Ramirez gets out of state stuff in regularly - I am not sure how or if it is done legally. it sold at marked up by quite a bit - The Founders and Cigar City cans are $3.99 each, and the Southern Tier bombers are $14.99 each. Also, the Aooni ipa comes from a Japanese craft brewery called Yo-Ho and is imported by a Georgia-based brewer and is also not available here.

I am sure there are other small mom and pops bringing in unallocated beers as well, but this is the first I've seen. They had a lot of different Cigar City and Yo-Ho biers I am anxious to try as well. The Creme Brulee (which was AMAZING) was the only Southern Tier they had at the time, but the small Soto location had both Pumking and Warlcok in around the holidays. One of the dudes yesterday said they will get ion Heady Topper like once a year, so it's good to just follow them on instagram and facebook to see what weird and rare beers they get in occasionally.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Is that Ramirez store the first place in CA to have Founders in a can?
    There are a good amount of craft beer store's throughout LA that have connections with breweries outside of California (especially Lawson's & Alchemist in Vermont) and can even place orders in bulk with advance notice but they typically keep it under wraps because technically it's not legal. You would just have to inquire with a referral from a store regular.

Just spent the weekend visiting my brother in North Carolina and hitting a ton of breweries there. Spent one night in Charlotte (so to speak) and two nights in Asheville. The NoDa and Birdsong breweries in Charlotte both had several good beers. Asheville is kind of nuts -- there are tons of breweries within walking distance of each other. Wicked Weed had the best lineup -- sours, multiple hoppy IPAs, BA stouts and barley wines, like five different saisons. We went there twice. Burial was really cool. The guy has a one-barrel (30-gallon) system and must brew every day because they had a good number of beers on. Their Skillet chocolate donut stout was very tasty. We also drove to Pigsah in Black Mountain. Their beers weren't that great but it's a really cool setting with a sprawling farm feel, so that made it worth the 15-minute drive from Asheville. It was a great trip and I brought about 15 bottles home on the plane, so I've got a bunch of new stuff to try.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    Busch tall boys gives you an extra ounce (25oz vs 24oz).
    Take that to the shit beer thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Hey, the gf wants to know if they sell leinenkugel berry weiss anywhere between LA and Indio?
    Should be in the shit beer thread, too.

Pizza Port Swami's IPA is your best bet, shit is fucking heaven in a can. If you can't land some of that (limited batches) than try Pizza Port Ponto Session IPA.
    Ponto is just as limited as Swami's, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Ah, ok. So I'll admit I may have gotten a little carried away at the Ramirez Brothers grand opening today.
    Well done, sonnyboy!

I was even more exicted to see they had stuff from Cigar City, Founder, and Southern Tier!
    Don't tell the snitches on the Beer Advocate forums that Ramirez is selling stuff illegally. And c'mon, Drinkey, you live in Southern California. Don't pay a premium for that mediocre-at-best Jai Alai...

I had never tried it before! i thought it was pretty good. I don't know that i would buy it again with all the other choices they had there. They had both Ponto and Swami in cans, which i'd never seen before. I will grab some of those next time (I've had Swami on tap many times).
    last.fm

Ponto is just as limited as Swami's?... Well, I guess it just sits on the shelves longer.

I didn't think Ponto was anything special. In Swami's we trust. Stocked up on that for the fest after thom thom recommended it to me a couple weeks ago. Tasty.

Also had not seen cans for ballast point until today for some reason but canned sculpin was a nice surprise to see.

I finally had Sculpin for the first time this weekend. It was good but I didn't think it was anything amazing. Maybe just from the talk about it on here I just built it up in my head. I would try it again but not sure after that.
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

You definitely want it as fresh as possible.
    last.fm

welcome back Gazer!

I haven't had any beers lately that are worth while lately but I wouldn't mind having a boardie meet up at the craft beer who-ha Some Time This Weekend If IT'S Not Already At Every Beer garden.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/23/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

At the new craft beer tent right now. Very good selection. Enjoying a Lost Abbey Saison at the moment. I'll try to post a full list later but it's pretty extensive.

Saw some nice check-ins on Untappd, curious about the prices...

since i don't fly back home from burbank until tomorrow morning, i'm going to hit up ramirez liquor for some beer i can't get back home. then thinking about going to tony darts. heard great things about that bar from the board
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You little cock sucker, menikmati. This is a fucking violation of compliance and you will fucking pay, you little pig.

Craft Beer tent was absolutely the spot to hang for boardies this year. There wasn't a single time I was in it where there weren't other board members chilling out... and pleasantly hammered! A few of the beers I sampled off top of my head

Bruery Oude Tarte
    Gilgamesh (?) Millennium Falconer IPA
    Noble Big Wig IPA
    Lost Abbey Saison

Had some good Alagash too. Hoping someone from here can post a full list. I had at least 6-7 others. And there were some specialty kegs in there too. One of the best things to ever happen at Coachella.
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 04-14-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Mrs gazercmh and I hosted a blind gueuze tasting last weekend. We had 17 different gueuzes and an old bottle of Temptation as a ringer.

Mrs gazercmh made carbonnade (Belgian beef stew with sour beer) and others brought different foods, so we had a big selection of Belgian and French cheeses, plus sausage and pate, grapes (and IPAs) to cleanse the palate, Belgian cookies for dessert, and more.

One friend, who's a certified cicerone (not that it really matters) did the pouring out in our garage so no one could see what they were getting. We numbered the cups and everyone gave each beer a score of 1-10. It was really interesting to see the results. Drie Fonteinen was the big winner, and Cantillon didn't score as highly as expected.

Here are the beers in order of highest-ranked to lowest.

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze - Armand & Tommy 2011
    Drie Fonteinen Zomer 2011
    Tilquin geuze 2010/2011
    Cantillon Classic Gueuze 2009
    Drie fonteinen Geuze 2009
    Lost Abbey Duck Duck Gooze 2013
    Cantillon Lou Pepe Gueuze 2009
    Bruery Rueuze 2013
    Cantillon Lou Pepe geuze 2006
    Russian River Temptation 004
    Lost Abbey Duck Duck Gooze 2009
    Hanssens Gueuze E?
    Oud Beersal Oude Gueuze 2012
    Cantillon Bio Gueuze 2012
    Lindemans Cuvee Renee 2009
    Bruery Batch #50 G.F.A.R. 2011
    Lindemans DHL 20th Anniversary Blend 2011
    Rivertown Ville De Rivere Geuze 2011

It was a fun night

Wow. I need to attend a blind tasting some time.
    Translation

Last.fm

Alpine is disturbing in the Bay Area with Kegs now.Im drinking a Nelson right now and probably missing a song or two of the Afghan Whigs because of it.Alpine for who don't know it's rare to see outside San Diego County.
    Translation

Last.fm

Green Flash just partnered with Alpine to help their distribution. They just officially started to shipping to L.A. yesterday. I will keep an eye out for their stuff.
    last.fm