Page 136 of 151 FirstFirst ... 131132133134135136137138139140141 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,080 of 4527

Thread: Beer. Not shit beer. Good beer.

Default Re: Beer. Not shit beer. Good beer.

Quote Originally Posted by hippityhip View Post
    Has anyone been out to The Rare Barrel in Berkeley? I heard they just opened up their tasting room on 12/27.
    I really want to check that place out since it specializes in sour beer.
    http://www.therarebarrel.com/blog

Some breweries are moving towards a powder coated aluminium growler. Which would block sun light , keep cold longer , will not break as easily.
    Last edited by getbetter; 01-04-2014 at 01:21 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

What I thought of Upright Brewing from Oregon.

From a bottle.I thought this beer was a little too earthy for myself. The pour was a dark brown with a slight brown head.Taste like dead leaves.Maybe this beer is dedicated to the later performances of Bad Brains.

I have found out that this brewery has a Imperial pils dedicated to the Clash and two different beers dedicated to Captain Beefheart(scotch and IPA) that I would like to try.
    Translation

Last.fm

Dead leaves? This beer tastes like it was rung out through dirty socks. So punk.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

^ wow! Extremely jealous!

Also the description for this beer by Rare Barrel brings to mind Cantillon's Fou Foune (one of my all time favorite beers):
    Map of the Sun - golden sour beer aged in oak w/apricot, single barrel release, 6.4%
    But it's probably closer to The Bruery's Filmishmish.

Gunz is drinking beer that is more critically acclaimed than I have ever dranken.
    Translation

Last.fm

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I just would like to share these amazing labels for homebrew that someone share din a facebook group I am a part of

last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Has anyone ever been to The Bruery's tasting room? Looking forward to hitting it up tomorrow.

I haven't, but I know several people here have and everybody has only great things to say about it!
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil50 View Post
    Has anyone ever been to The Bruery's tasting room? Looking forward to hitting it up tomorrow.
    Yes! It's great...and I like that they have board games there you can play. Do you know what you're going to have?

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Not too sure yet. Mainly going to pick up my allocations for the RS and probably a few others. I haven't had many of their sours so I'll probably go down that road.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Gunz is drinking beer that is more critically acclaimed than I have ever dranken.
    It was delicious. This will be the year of drinking less, but drinking better.

Not too sure yet. Mainly going to pick up my allocations for the RS and probably a few others. I haven't had many of their sours so I'll probably go down that road.
    I dont know if you get the weekly newsletter for the Bruery but they usually when have what they are going to have on tap for that upcoming weekend plus what food trucks will be there.I suggest going west on the 22 for about 10 miles and getting some Mac n Cheese to bring to the brewery to eat.There are a few other breweries in that area Bootleggers and Noble Ale works..Yet I highly suggest Cismontane Brewing , I haven't been there but they make great beer.Also there's a Pizza Port probably 30 minutes away or so.
    Translation

Last.fm

Where did you land the Westvleteren XII at? Trade?
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

If you don't want to subscribe to the Bruery's tasting room emails, you can see what's on tap on their tasting room page. Pay attention to the ABV of the beers you taste. Many are over 15% so even tasters can hit you pretty fast.

Edit: And if you're picking up your RS allocations, I highly, highly, highly recommend emailing them a few days in advance to let them know you're coming and give them a list of the beers you're picking up so they can get them ready for you. Also be sure to bring the list with you and double check that what they give you matches your list. Their error rate is a lot higher than it should be, based on my and my friends' experiences.
    Last edited by gazercmh; 01-07-2014 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Where did you land the Westvleteren XII at? Trade?
    A friend brought it to the house for New Year's Eve. I don't know where he got it. I can find out.

Yea man the Bruery is great to visit. Also as getbetter mentioned check out Bootleggers.
    Not sure how far you're traveling or if you've been but I have friends who frequent Smog City Brewery. They seem to enjoy it. I've never been but I recommend it from the great things I've heard. It's in LA

Smog City's in Torrance, which is becoming quite a hot spot for great breweries right now - Smog City, Strange, Monkish, and The Dudes are all very close to each other. I know Monkish also has a tasting room, but not sure of the other two.

EDIT: Apparently Strand does have a tasting room and The Dudes are planning to soon. When they open I think I need to get a hotel down there and do a brewery crawl!
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 01-07-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    last.fm

Just tasting Widmer's Downward Spiral 22oz. Def very good. "imperial india style pale lager aged in Oak spirals" WTF is an oak spiral?

Seriously oaky finish fo reel
    Last edited by Propellerpete; 01-07-2014 at 07:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Hey Betty, how about I take you out some time, we have a nice dinner, some drinks, make fun of some darkies, then I beat the shit out of you on the Sunset Strip and we fuck behind the Whisky. Sound like a plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    Taking a wizard shit in the ocean is so Jack Johnson.

‘Beer Nazi’ Sam Samaniego dies, leaves behind craft beer legacy in San Gabriel

Sam Samaniego, a legend in the Los Angeles craft beer scene, died Wednesday, after a long illness. Courtesy photo

By Lauren Gold, Pasadena Star-News

Posted: 01/12/14, 6:18 PM PST |

SAN GABRIEL>> Locals knew him as the “Beer Nazi,” a la the cantankerous soup chef from the TV show “Seinfeld.”

Affectionately, of course.

Sam Samaniego had no shortage of specialty craft and imported beers at his San Gabriel restaurant The Stuffed Sandwich, but you had to work for it. And it was that playful, cranky character and his intense love and appreciation for the local beer industry that made the beer and sandwich legend a pioneer for Los Angeles’ craft beer community.

Samaniego died Wednesday after a long illness.

Kelly Sycz, of Eagle Rock Brewery, said a trip to The Stuffed Sandwich was always unique. Diners who wanted beer had to bring their own glass, otherwise they had to drink out of a small Styrofoam cup filled to the very top.

“You couldn’t pick it up, you would have to lean over and sip it, because Sam said he didn’t want any of his beer spilling,” Sycz said. “If you ordered a really rare beer, Sam would kind of quiz you about it and if he felt like you didn’t know about it he wouldn’t serve it to you. He loved the beer so much and he wanted to make sure it was going to somebody who really appreciated it. There aren’t a lot of people like that anymore.”

And even his regular lunch crowd, which included many San Gabriel residents and a host of law enforcement officers, got an earful as they munched on the famous stuffed sandwiches and homemade soups.

“He always gave me trouble because one time I came in and I ended up talking to everyone and so I left and never paid my bill. Well I eventually paid it but every time I was there he said, ‘Oh this guy, he’s a politician, he’ll never pay,’” former San Gabriel Councilman Harry Baldwin said. “He liked San Gabriel and he was a big part of San Gabriel and he’s going to be missed.”

Samaniego and his wife, Marlene, opened The Stuffed Sandwich on Las Tunas Boulevard in 1976 and made it their mission to put beer on the map in a time when brew pubs and small batch beers were virtually nonexistent. As more craft breweries began to spring up from San Diego to Oregon, Samaniego threw his full support behind every one of them.

“Sam cellared beers decades before it was commonly understood. Sam pioneered craft beer decades before it was popular. Sam helped introduce countless thousands to craft beer and its depth. I was one of them,” said Greg Koch, ounder and CEO of San Diego based Stone Brewing Co. “I remember getting a serious lump in my throat when Sam told me in 1996 that he thought our beers were “pretty good” (a compliment on the highest order from Sam), and he and his wonderful wife Marlene were among the very earliest supporters of Stone. What a pioneer and a leader, but even more so, Sam was simply a “go his own way” type of person. A true one-of-a-kind.”

The beer fanatic, who also appreciated his fair share of wines, was also a supporter of homebrewers, attending the annual Southern California Homebrewers Festival and sampling every beer on tap. Samaniego also hosted an annual holiday beer tasting with The Maltose Falcons, a homebrew club based in Woodland Hills.

“He would always walk around with his wax mustache and bowler hat and a wee tiny cup and he would walk around to each of the homebrew clubs and ask them to pour him a little sample of all the beers,” said Drew Beechum, a Pasadena homebrewer and beer blogger and author. “I remember when I first started brewing at home and I knew about Sam and I met him it was kind of a big thing when he showed up I thought, ‘Oh I hope he likes my beer’.”

In addition to his support for beer makers throughout the region, Samaniego’s passion for beer and seemingly unlimited supply of rare brews at The Stuffed Sandwich earned him his own legendary reputation in the beer world. “There was also this rumor that floated around that he has multiple warehouses stashed around the San Gabriel Valley that has incredible amounts of beer, all these secret little treasure caves,” Beechum said. “You don’t really see a lot of beer drinkers that have sort of legendary rumors floating around about them.”

Beechum added that the last two years, with the passing of Samaniego and Lucky Baldwin’s co-founder David Farnworth in 2011, the L.A. craft beer community has lost two big names.

“For the longest time it was pretty well true that if you wanted to have a good beer you best be prepared to drive to San Gabriel or Pasadena,” Beechum said. “We’ve lost one of he founding voices of craft beer. A lot of people pay attention to the brewers, the guys who are out there making the beer, but people forget that the pub owners are the ones who provide that communal space where you run into the people that have the same passion. They can do a lot of to foster that level of craft beer.”
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Grabbed a 6er of Bell's Cherry Stout to sip on tonight. Mmm
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Just picked up a Stone Enjoy By IPA, Stone Smoked Porter w/ Vanilla Bean, and A Rouge Dead Guy Ale in the Glow Bottle for tonight. Also got some Speak Easy Big Daddy IPA and Anchor Steam for the games tomorrow. Should be a fun filled beer weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

That Stone Smoked Porter w/ Vanilla Bean is really good - I love how light and not overpowering it is. My place was out of the Enjoy By when I stopped by yesterday.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Yeah The Stone Vanilla bean is one of my favorite beers. I was at total wine and one guy took about half of what they had left of the Enjoy By. I need to go back soon though. I meant to also grab a Bear Republic Racer X but got a phone call and then forgot to grab it. I just wont be able to go back until Monday so I still hope they have it in stock as there was only about a case left of it.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Thanks for that fatbastard. Good article.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Just picked up a Stone Enjoy By IPA, Stone Smoked Porter w/ Vanilla Bean, and A Rouge Dead Guy Ale in the Glow Bottle for tonight. Also got some Speak Easy Big Daddy IPA and Anchor Steam for the games tomorrow. Should be a fun filled beer weekend.
    I really like the Big Daddy. Solid drinker with no downside.

I got a Black Tuesday chilling down to take over to Drinkey's later. I gotta say, I tried the first bottle I had the other night... holy crap! I am not a big Imperial Stout drinker. But think I get it now. This thing will put some hair your chest and probably make you do incredibly stupid stuff if you get enough of it in ya. Nice job Bruery.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Stone's Enjoy By is at Costco for $5.50/bottle and they've got piles of it. In SD at least.

Tonight I got to try some of the Prairie beers -- Noir, Vanilla Noir and Pirate Bomb. I liked Pirate Bomb a lot -- it's an imperial stout with vanilla, cocoa nibs and chilis and aged in rum barrels. The Noir -- an imperial stout aged in whiskey barrels -- was too oaky for me. The Vanilla Noir was better, but still too oaky.

The highlight of the night was a Fou' Foune from Cantillon. My favorite beer on the planet...

Sam from Stuffed Sandwiches passing really bummed me out when I found .Sam and Dave were beer idols to me and they were both really cool people to me.I remember Sam asking me, "why did I bring two beer glasses for myself" with the clerk replying that I order the italian spicy sausage and they both laughed.Little did I know that it was actually really fucking spicy to the both where I was drinking down my beer just too cool off heat of the spices.As well talking about how to start up being a beer distributor.

Cara and I went to Altamont Beer works today which I was hoping they would have their seasonal Ganja Juice which is one of the best IPAs I have had in recent memory.Yet they didn't have it and I found most of their beers very hoppy. Their Brown ale, "Dirty D" is very notable and tons of chocolate with slight hop taste.The Brewery was incredibly bro the fuck out with a dirt bike movie playing while sublime and slightly stoopid played from their speakers.
    Last edited by getbetter; 01-19-2014 at 12:43 AM.
    Translation

Last.fm

Hats off to Rouge. I've had Dead Guy Ale before but them putting it in a glow in the dark bottle is the coolest fucking thing when you are drunk. Really was a genius idea.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    How is the latest Enjoy By?

I want to pick some up today for the games.